Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

James_Bonnell posted:

Now, in PRE - Repurpose is only adjusting healing from items. Fortified Gear is only for items. Quite a few do that.

The Dexterity spec that gives you Crit Rating from Offense is also all Offense, not just gear. So I've been grabbing all the +Offense or Defense->Offense I could get. :getin:

e: Okay, actual content. I went ahead and redid Redditor's look since the old one was a play on Defender and his energy beam powers, so not much use keeping it if I change him to Single Blade. Except that now it won't let me customize his weapon, so I just have to hope it'll default to a katana. Anyway, I was going for the big manbaby look, older dude, greying hair in a ponytail, eyepatch, earring, trenchcoat, etc. Not sure how I feel about the chest area, willing to take suggestions.

Haha, I just realized I can probably give him a single leather glove, not sure if that's still a thing people do though. And I forgot a belt. :cripes:

Poll: Katana on the back like above, or on left hip to counterbalance the pistol?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I finished my DPS Ice build recently. Never knew that spam tapping ice blast repeatedly could do so much damage.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

Reviewing the PTS official forum - wow, it's odd how the tiny handful of people occasionally dueling in Ren Center try to drive the entire structure of the game. A lot of the threads are basically "this guy beat me in PVP please nerf everyone that uses this power thanks".

I'm surprised people like Nesno even still play.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I was playing around with a TK blades build on the powerhouse site and I noticed there are 3 TK offensive passives? :psyduck: What's the difference between them all? I don't currently have the game installed to look in more detail.
e: Somebody with a fleshed out build mind linking me theirs? I want to compare the two.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 7, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Here's my TK Blade dude

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...C0002Oe3STY2MGB

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Allatum posted:

I'm surprised people like Nesno even still play.

I'm hearing stories of CO PvP being horribly broken in a 'everyone packs devices that do waaaay more damage than powers' way. When will someone learn not to mix MMOs and PvP?

In other news, I can't seem to find numbers on exactly how big the Parry+Elusive Monk damage penalty is. Considering switching from Retaliation on Goonling because it already gets a little dodge/avoid from Way of the Warrior, but I don't want to crimp its damage output too badly.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

whatspeakyou posted:

I finished my DPS Ice build recently. Never knew that spam tapping ice blast repeatedly could do so much damage.

What are you using for an Energy Unlock? I have an tap spam Ice character as well, just always seem to run out of energy if I'm not being punched in the face.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Metrohunter posted:

I was playing around with a TK blades build on the powerhouse site and I noticed there are 3 TK offensive passives? :psyduck: What's the difference between them all? I don't currently have the game installed to look in more detail.
e: Somebody with a fleshed out build mind linking me theirs? I want to compare the two.

There are two offensive passives in TK:
http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Ego_Form - this is a generic "buff all paranormal damage" (ego, dimensional and magic) and to a smaller extent, physical

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Id_Mastery - this is specific to paranormal melee (which really is just TK blades, there isn't any other source as far as I know) and to a lesser extent, paranormal ranged damage. If you are into TK blade moves, this is the one you want. There is an old mechanic that gives you one TK blade except under certain circumstances that are somewhat finnicky to reproduce and even notice, so you probably want the 0-point "just give me the two blades without the bullshit thanks" advantage.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I went ahead and redid Redditor's look (...)
Redditor, and yet no fedora? :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

Redditor, and yet no fedora? :colbert:

:cripes: Time to see if I can do fedora and ponytail and eyepatch.

... Too much?

e: The 'Fatal Err0r' missions, since they're listed under Events in the mission log, should I be expecting them to go away at some point so I should be getting the rewards from them ASAP?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 8, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They won't go away for the foreseeable future, they're permanent content now.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

I'm hearing stories of CO PvP being horribly broken in a 'everyone packs devices that do waaaay more damage than powers' way. When will someone learn not to mix MMOs and PvP?

It actually used to not be so bad, before the On Alert changes. But that came with switching a lot of on use gear from being gear to utility items. So the drawbacks of using them disappeared. The spec trees are a whole other problem with how new gear can work too, but messing with that would just punish then majority of people who don't even think about doing pvp and don't spend hundreds of dollars to maximize their character's stats.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

James_Bonnell posted:

I just checked in-game, both live and PTS.

Best Defense says: You gain 100% of your Defense as Offense.
Aggressive Stance says: Increases your Defense by 20% of your Offense value.

Nothing about from items. Maybe I'm missing something.

Now, in PRE - Repurpose is only adjusting healing from items. Fortified Gear is only for items. Quite a few do that.

Huh... I thought they were. I wonder where that idea came from, then. Oh well, I stand corrected.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

WarLocke posted:

In other news, I can't seem to find numbers on exactly how big the Parry+Elusive Monk damage penalty is. Considering switching from Retaliation on Goonling because it already gets a little dodge/avoid from Way of the Warrior, but I don't want to crimp its damage output too badly.

Negligible. Take Parry.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

WarLocke posted:

And yeah, I know Force Eruption is kind of meh, but sometime it's easier to use a PBAoE than try to get a cone oriented, and I had an extra power slot.

I tried a couple other builds with her (combinations of bubble and/or healing aura builds with Presence and Sentinel spec) but it seems like healing auras draw a ton of aggro and bubbling people would be hectic and/or repetitive, so I figured 'shoot stuff while passively giving resistance' would play better.

If you want a thematic PBAoE, look at Power Armour's Energy Wave. It also does way more damage than Eruption and has an even more annoying knockback! :getin:

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Also Energy Wave has an advantage that makes it knock things toward you rather than away from you, which can make it useful for melee builds as well or just for not scattering everything.

Regarding the damage penalty on Parry w/ Elusive Monk (And also Energy Shield w/ Laser Knight or Phalanx Defense System), it's 10%. Which sounds like a lot until you remember that you're running with +25-35% from strength or ego if you took those, +30-40% from offense, +10-15% per stack from a form toggle if you have one, and +90-100% from an offensive passive if you have one. So a 10% penalty becomes tiny since you're doing upwards of 300% base damage anyway.

Edit: Also for the guy asking for TK blades builds, here's mine: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=7&n=&d=1235TGINKPW6370E108E209E501E803EC00EH07K80GDD04DK04EK05EJ01EI059N00QG000n2E3SXU0CAT

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 8, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mewnie posted:

If you want a thematic PBAoE, look at Power Armour's Energy Wave. It also does way more damage than Eruption and has an even more annoying knockback! :getin:

This is definitely a possibility, although that 15-second cooldown is annoying.

I actually gave Plasma Beam a try at the same time and while it looks good on paper, I can't see using it in practice. It ignores your target (fires staight ahead) and has no vertical elevation capability at all.

Although now I'm considering a beam-PA build. Wonder if just Eye Beams + Concussor Beams would end up as decent single-target DPS. Add Energy Wave for some AoE...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

This is definitely a possibility, although that 15-second cooldown is annoying.

I actually gave Plasma Beam a try at the same time and while it looks good on paper, I can't see using it in practice. It ignores your target (fires staight ahead) and has no vertical elevation capability at all.

Although now I'm considering a beam-PA build. Wonder if just Eye Beams + Concussor Beams would end up as decent single-target DPS. Add Energy Wave for some AoE...

Getting used to plasma beam is not really a big deal, although concussor actually does really great damage. Eye beam is not bad either, the wiki data is not accurate. It doesn't to massive DPS on its own but it is in line with the other toggles in terms of end/dps and hey it's shoulder slot, more dps in beam form. Yes gattling gun does more damage but it's not teh lazor.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Filthy Lucre posted:

What are you using for an Energy Unlock? I have an tap spam Ice character as well, just always seem to run out of energy if I'm not being punched in the face.

Went with Overdrive since I use Avalanche a lot in alerts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Someone mind running down the list of gearing options at 40? Goonling is capped out, so I'm moving his nemesis gear to another character, which means he needs new stuff.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Some one might have some optimal loadout somewhere but doing the UNITY missions can get you some pieces of gear fairly easily. With those I usually just make sure my superstats are more or less even across as far as what the gear is giving.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
For primaries your options are:
- Mercenary gear, which is blue and terrible and comes from either lockboxes or the questionite store.
- Heroic gear, which is purple and not so terrible and comes from silver champion recognition, which in turn comes from doing UNITY daily missions. (You'll have gotten an ingame mail introducing UNITY when you hit 40.)
- Legion gear, which is also purple and slightly better than heroic gear due to having four mod slots instead of three. It comes from lockboxes.

For secondaries your options are:
- Vigilante gear, which is purple and awesome but costs stupid amounts of questionite from the store.
- Ordinary level 40 purples, which are not as good but way easier to get because it drops off enemies.

Also worth noting, all of this stuff can be found on the auction house for prices ranging from sane to not so sane.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CO was just shut down "for maintenance" at 2300 CST.
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=245331

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's just updating the account servers apparently. My guess is it's probably related to backend stuff tied to the Neverwinter Online server merge.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah, considering when Neverwinter's servers were crashing at launch it caused CO and STO to go down as well, they're probably all hosted on the same shared setup. So anything as big as a server shard merge would necessitate taking it all offline at once.

Kind of a weird time to do it, though.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, considering when Neverwinter's servers were crashing at launch it caused CO and STO to go down as well, they're probably all hosted on the same shared setup. So anything as big as a server shard merge would necessitate taking it all offline at once.

Kind of a weird time to do it, though.

It's account server maintenance, and the three cryptic games do indeed share this system, considering that custom channels made in CO can be used in all three of the games (and the same applies with STO and Neverwinter).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I like this guy in the PTS forum that feels that Gravitar is the baseline around which all game mechanics should be balanced (read: don't make him unable to solo Gravitar with his perfect dodge/avoid combo).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

What's so bad about Gravitar?

(I have never fought Gravitar)

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Well...

With the right mix of 10, she's not particularly hard, just potentially long.

In fact, with the right mix of *three*... you may be able to beat her. One of my builds - pre the 40 respec - ended up on a team of 3 and nearly had her, but pre-40 respec, my character was just too squishy and died too often. Then the main tank/support/rezzer guy got whacked. THAT was a fun run. Post-respec - would have had her. We had her into the last third of her health. It took a while but it was working.

She's a force user, with a very powerful crushing set of attacks.

She's also the biggest bad guy in the game, with nearly 3m HP. As far as I know anyway, I haven't done Therakiel's Temple, Kigitilik or whatever. I didn't have 40s when the game was still younger, and lair runs at 40 were a thing.

She's NOT the Hamidon. Her mechanics are a lot simpler, if unkind to pet masters and meleers.

Force Cascades, Force Geysers, and huge nasty bubble holds. Particularly the last third of her lifebar.

Also, she's kind of ridiculous in general. Can do 100k in a single shot. Most characters CANNOT survive that by themselves... and for pick up groups, you never know what you're gonna get.

And with my chat issues, as mentioned above... if it isn't the CoX channel - I don't see it. So I in practical terms usually *can't* get on a premade team for Gravitar. Unfortunately my help ticket from PErfect World was completely generic - reboot machine, install new drivers, and uninstall / reinstall the game.

Thing is, this is across several machines! So I don't think the game install is the problem. Oh well. I've tried some of that with no luck. We'll see what they come back with.

James_Bonnell fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

WarLocke posted:

What's so bad about Gravitar?

(I have never fought Gravitar)

You should. She's pretty much the stand-in for the final boss of the game, since she does huge damage, has high health, and can easily one-shot fragile/poorly played characters. Also, no respawning unless you have a healer with a revive, and if nobody is left to fight her, you lose.

Naturally, the way to fight her is pretty methodical. Also, beating her gives a pretty good amount of money and a chance at getting her jewelry.

fakedit: efb.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Doesn't sound like I could hang in there with Goonling. Even with 59% resistance, 45% dodge and 63% avoidance he's only got ~8k HP to soak damage with and no reliable self heal (other than Rush of Battle, and Resurgence every ~60 seconds). Meh.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Eh. I've fought her on almost all of my 40s.

Most do fine after the final respec, which just seems to take longer for each one as I poke and prod and poke and prod.

Grab some SCR rez consumables and you should be fine. You'll probably die a few times, just remember - DO NOT autorez!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Doesn't sound like I could hang in there with Goonling. Even with 59% resistance, 45% dodge and 63% avoidance he's only got ~8k HP to soak damage with and no reliable self heal (other than Rush of Battle, and Resurgence every ~60 seconds). Meh.

First, you easily have more defense on that character than I have on most of mine, healing potential aside. (compare that to like ~50% resistance, similar resting dodge and avoidance, and ohnly 7k health. He uses BCR and Bionic Shielding.)

Second, the chance of getting a support/healer in Gravitar is pretty high, largely because most PUGs realize they need one to survive/for a safe backup, as well as (on the flip side) most support-role players realizing this is the one alert where they can be really useful.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

On squishier characters, the thing with Gravitar is you just need to hope you've ended up in a group with a decent tank. Avoid the telegraphed attacks and do damage when you can. But someone should be able to keep you from getting hit too often, and if you can help keep that someone alive then you're in a good place.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

First, you easily have more defense on that character than I have on most of mine, healing potential aside. (compare that to like ~50% resistance, similar resting dodge and avoidance, and ohnly 7k health. He uses BCR and Bionic Shielding.)

Well, the dodge numbers were taking into account Elusive Monk. Here's his resting stats, no EM or Enrage but Way of the Warrior on:

The Defense translates to 59% resist, which I was surprised to get that high, but I did go heavily into +Defense when possible in the spec trees to convert to Offense via Best Defense (and which then gets converted into Crit Chance via Combat Training).

In other news, Meteor Maiden is coming along pretty well. She's only 19 so I haven't been able to gauge the Sentinel tree yet, but hopefully all the different Bonus Healing/Shield stuff should synergize. Idea behind her is to run in support mode, basically be a mobile resistance and healing generator while shooting off PA attacks. PSS Rec is actually pretty nice so far, Overdrive scales crazy off of it (at 19 Pre/Int/Rec gave 8/tic and Rec/Int/Pre gives 13/tic with the same gear) and th passive healing talent is pretty drat handy (42/tic at the moment).

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J0009Z904LV0IeE

Name: Meteor Maiden

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Recovery (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Arcanus
Level 6: Negotiator
Level 9: Lasting Impression
Level 12: Diplomatic
Level 15: Tireless
Level 18: Brilliant
Level 21: Intimidating

Powers:
Level 1: Power Bolts (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 1: Eye Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Overdrive
Level 11: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Ego Surge
Level 20: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Resurgence
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Unbreakable
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Recovery: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Recovery: Rapid Recovery (3/3)
Recovery: Staying Power (2/2)
Recovery: Efficient (2/3)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (1/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Persevere (1/2)
Mastery: Recovery Mastery (1/1)

Not sold on Reconstruction Circuits yet, I might not even need another heal. Not sure what to replace it with if that's the case, though. Maybe Chest Beam? Depends on how energy management goes, but it'd be more boss-killing single-target output. We'll see.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

:3:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Well drat, makes me want to hop on my goonling. I think he's level 14 <3

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Are there any hidden difference between 'Primary' and 'Secondary' superstats? Or is is just "Primary stats get more pluses than Secondary ones as you level"?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Are there any hidden difference between 'Primary' and 'Secondary' superstats? Or is is just "Primary stats get more pluses than Secondary ones as you level"?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, Primary superstats determine what your first spec tree is, and also get a bigger boost. Depending on what role you're running in, the secondary superstats might offer larger or smaller role boosts (50% vs 75% of primary. The latter only applies for Tank and Hybrid roles). The way that spec trees work can gear a character to work best when either pouring all stats into the primary, into the secondary, or a mix of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Additionally, lots of spec trees have talents for Primary or Secondary stats. Like Ego Primary spec has one that makes your Secondary Stats increase your Crit chance, which means an Ego/Dex character gets to double dip for crit off of Dex.

Or the fact that a Hybrid INT character's Secondary stats are 95% as effective as their Primary IIRC.