Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I would honestly feel personally slighted if the new Mini did not have Retina display. Aren't there a bunch of other brand tablets with higher resolutions already? The Mini was already a disappointment when it was released without Retina, there's no way they do it again.

I wonder if it will come in gold color too...

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

I would honestly feel personally slighted if the new Mini did not have Retina display. Aren't there a bunch of other brand tablets with higher resolutions already? The Mini was already a disappointment when it was released without Retina, there's no way they do it again.

Maybe a new mini with retina and a six inch mini mini in colors like the 5C to satisfy all those who want a tweener phablet? The market is clearly there for something between the phone and the mini. That or a maxi mini?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Just please let there be preorders. Don't want to wait in line like I did for the iPad 2 and watch foreign families go in and buy two for each member of the family and have them run out of the model I want like last time.

Wait, I want 128GB. Only crazy people want those, so I should be good! :downs:

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
drat, was hoping it would be on the 15th and not 22nd. Sold my mini in anticipation last week of getting the new Gen5 regular iPad, and quickly realizing how much I miss having a tablet right now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bankok posted:

drat, was hoping it would be on the 15th and not 22nd. Sold my mini in anticipation last week of getting the new Gen5 regular iPad, and quickly realizing how much I miss having a tablet right now.

You did all right. I sold mine in March. :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet it's only announced on the 22nd and it will be released a week later.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hell yeah, time to sell my iPad 3 and get those lovely blurred backgrounds on iOS 7!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

If the Mini skipped a generation, Apple probably got a huge rear end discount on ordering A7's - the Ipad5, the 5S and possibly the mini (Oh and the iWatch :smug: ) would be using it. That's millions and millions of A7 chips. Wonder what's with this push for 64-bit all of a sudden.
I think it's just so they can get their entire lineup on 64 bit at roughly the same time so when the time comes that they can finally drop 32 bit support (in three years, I guess) they can do it all at once. Meanwhile, they're ahead of the curve on switching over so by the time 64 bit is actually a necessary upgrade, they'll already be done with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ultimate problem: I'll be in central America on vacation during the week of the announcement/likely preorder period. Hopefully I'll be able to buy an appropriately sized sim card so I can use my iphone 5 to preorder. :ohdear:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 9, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

I wonder if it will come in gold color too...

Yes, other cheaper tablets have mostly moved on to high DPI. Apple is going to get a lot of bad press if they don't go Retina on the iPad mini.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I was curious if a vanilla A7 would be enough to drive a mini with a Retina display, then I looked up Anandtech's review of the 5s and the GPU in the A7 seems to have near identical power to the one in the A6X. I guess that leaves the full-size iPad to get an A7X and be the performance leader (or 'Pro' model) of the iPad line.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 9, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Space Racist posted:

I was curious if a vanilla A7 would be enough to drive a mini with a Retina display, then I looked up Anandtech's review of the 5s and the GPU in the A7 seems to have near identical power to the one in the A6X. I guess that leaves the full-size iPad to get an A7X and be the performance leader (or 'Pro' model) of the iPad line.

Yeah.

Although, are there any apps or games that would even take advantage of an extra GPU power, even on the high-res displays? Maybe they'll stick with the A7 and deliver like 12 hours of battery life or something.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I hope the next iPad is more than "It's the Mini thin bezel but bigger and somewhat faster". If it isn't, I still need a new one, but would be cool if they added some new feature that separated it from the old one. Maybe even thinner, or a new screen or something.

Last year they re-introduced Mac Minis, and some new Retina Macbooks, so maybe product updates for those, maybe a mention for the Darth Vader Mac, and again, no iWatch rumors at all, so probably nothing on that front. OSX Mavericks is GM already so they'll likely have it available same day or same week. With Windows 8.1 being free from Microsoft for certain customers, I wonder if Apple will still charge 19.99 for Mavericks, go lower, or maybe even release it for free (!)

So anyway, fill those 2 previous paragraphs with superfluous poo poo to hit 550 words and you have a gizmodo article.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Tacorleone posted:

I hope the next iPad is more than "It's the Mini thin bezel but bigger and somewhat faster". If it isn't, I still need a new one, but would be cool if they added some new feature that separated it from the old one. Maybe even thinner, or a new screen or something.

Last year they re-introduced Mac Minis, and some new Retina Macbooks, so maybe product updates for those, maybe a mention for the Darth Vader Mac, and again, no iWatch rumors at all, so probably nothing on that front. OSX Mavericks is GM already so they'll likely have it available same day or same week. With Windows 8.1 being free from Microsoft for certain customers, I wonder if Apple will still charge 19.99 for Mavericks, go lower, or maybe even release it for free (!)

So anyway, fill those 2 previous paragraphs with superfluous poo poo to hit 550 words and you have a gizmodo article.
Well, there is the fingerprint sensor and separate motion processor, probably.

I wish they would update the iPod Touch every year instead of this new 2-year refresh thing they've got going.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Wow...the market has severely tanked on the 4th gen iPad, even before this announcement.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
gently caress, I waited too long to sell my 3rd gen, didn't I.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Protocol7 posted:

gently caress, I waited too long to sell my 3rd gen, didn't I.

There's roughly a 50 dollar difference right now between the 3rd & 4th gens. I upgraded from 3rd to 4th to stay in the Apple Upgrade cycle...If I could sell my 4th 32gb wifi for 375 I'd probably take it. For reference, I've never gotten less than 450 for the 3, 2 or 1 gens.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Where are you all seeing these prices? Amazon's giving me $263 for my 3rd gen 32gb Verizon model. Are you just using eBay as a general guide?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

suddenlyissoon posted:

There's roughly a 50 dollar difference right now between the 3rd & 4th gens. I upgraded from 3rd to 4th to stay in the Apple Upgrade cycle...If I could sell my 4th 32gb wifi for 375 I'd probably take it. For reference, I've never gotten less than 450 for the 3, 2 or 1 gens.

I have a 3rd gen 16GB in pretty good condition, plus smart cover and a full array of cases. I think I could squeeze $300 shipped out of it, and that's all I want.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there is the fingerprint sensor and separate motion processor, probably.

I'm assuming the motion processor probably won't add greatly to the iPad's utility. Then again, people use iPads as camera, so why not as a portable music player while jogging...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just sold my 2013 Nexus 7 to ready my finances for the new iPad .. I found I really didn't use it at all (sold my Mini for it .. mistake).

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

canyonero posted:

Where are you all seeing these prices? Amazon's giving me $263 for my 3rd gen 32gb Verizon model. Are you just using eBay as a general guide?

I like to use: http://www.mac2sell.net/

It is a good general guide.

Protocol7 posted:

I have a 3rd gen 16GB in pretty good condition, plus smart cover and a full array of cases. I think I could squeeze $300 shipped out of it, and that's all I want.

I'm in the same boat, but I'd consider mine to be in flawless condition. I had a small yellow stain on my screen and it never went away after hours of using it on max brightness. So after 11 months (March 2013 for me) I took it in and swapped it. Probably a dick move, but they swapped me within 10 minutes.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Was able to sell my 3rd gen 16GB Wi-Fi last week through Amazon (not trade in) for $300 net of all Amazon fees and shipping costs.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Hey guys, got a bit of an issue. Tonight I've had two-three instances of my iPad going to the App Store prompting me to download an app, what's odd though is I've not pressed an ad on safari by accident as the apps they ask me to download don't have ads on the pages I'm viewing.

For extra clues, the computer that I use to sync it with has a similar problem that new web pages just opening up prompting me with bull poo poo adverts to which I've tried virus sweepers and what not but it's still there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sieg posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I'd consider mine to be in flawless condition. I had a small yellow stain on my screen and it never went away after hours of using it on max brightness. So after 11 months (March 2013 for me) I took it in and swapped it. Probably a dick move, but they swapped me within 10 minutes.
Using your warranty on a legitimate quality issue is not a dick move, even if you waited 11 months to do so. It's what the warranty is for.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Endless Mike posted:

Using your warranty on a legitimate quality issue is not a dick move, even if you waited 11 months to do so. It's what the warranty is for.

I started to notice a weird yellow splotch on my iPhone screen about a month ago. I was traveling and busy so the first day I was able to go to the apple store happened to be the last day of my warrantee which happened to be the 5S launch day. They replaced the screen no questions asked.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Eh, I'm curious what the 5th gen will have but I really doubt I'll bother with upgrading. I originally wasn't planning on upgrading my 3rd gen until 2014 anyway (admittedly before the surprise reveal of the 4th gen), and presumably this thing will at least be supported throughout the iOS 7 cycle.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey guys, got a bit of an issue. Tonight I've had two-three instances of my iPad going to the App Store prompting me to download an app, what's odd though is I've not pressed an ad on safari by accident as the apps they ask me to download don't have ads on the pages I'm viewing.

For extra clues, the computer that I use to sync it with has a similar problem that new web pages just opening up prompting me with bull poo poo adverts to which I've tried virus sweepers and what not but it's still there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Poisoned DNS maybe? Like it might be forwarding you to App Store pages during browsing, or whatever ads on your computer. I guess try changing your router (and/or device/computer) DNS to Google's or another known good one and see what happens. (Assuming Google's isn't poisoned :tinfoil:)

Space Racist posted:

Eh, I'm curious what the 5th gen will have but I really doubt I'll bother with upgrading. I originally wasn't planning on upgrading my 3rd gen until 2014 anyway (admittedly before the surprise reveal of the 4th gen), and presumably this thing will at least be supported throughout the iOS 7 cycle.
I have a 3rd gen and iPad mini, and am hoping for retina mini with A7X and hopefully more RAM. My main issue with hardware is pretty much just the A5 showing its age, beyond that I think I have more annoyances with the limitations of iOS than anything to do with the hardware.

(...other than Wacom digitizer, but Adonit's new thing is hopefully good enough)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

japtor posted:

Poisoned DNS maybe? Like it might be forwarding you to App Store pages during browsing, or whatever ads on your computer. I guess try changing your router (and/or device/computer) DNS to Google's or another known good one and see what happens. (Assuming Google's isn't poisoned :tinfoil:)

I have a 3rd gen and iPad mini, and am hoping for retina mini with A7X and hopefully more RAM. My main issue with hardware is pretty much just the A5 showing its age, beyond that I think I have more annoyances with the limitations of iOS than anything to do with the hardware.

(...other than Wacom digitizer, but Adonit's new thing is hopefully good enough)

I want a more powerful mini too, but I am not holding my breath for an A7X. It will definitely have retina, I cannot see Apple getting that far behind in that regard. Still, I just cannot see it equalling the full size iPad in performance at such a lower price. I hope it gets touchID, but again I am not really banking on that either.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I currently own a 3rd Gen iPad LTE 64 GB. When I bought it, I was taking a trolley to work every morning, about a 45 minute - hour commute. Now, I drive 5 minutes to work and don't get nearly as much utility out of it.

Personally, I'm hoping the new iPad mini has at least comparable specs to the 4th gen iPad. If so, I'll probably go for a 16 GB LTE model, and could even get my wife a wifi model for less than I paid for my 3rd gen iPad.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
God I hope the new iPads have a fingerprint sensor. Ever since I got my iPhone 5s, I've been trying to unlock my iPad 3 with my finger.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I think they will. It would feel like something of a slap in the face if something that's supposed to replace a computer for some people is missing a feature you can get on a phone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does the warranty cover speaker crackle? Because my iPad has always done that at high volumes, but if I can get a good one out of it, I might just go. I don't jailbreak my stuff so the volume caps are stock.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

I think they will. It would feel like something of a slap in the face if something that's supposed to replace a computer for some people is missing a feature you can get on a phone.
OTOH, the iPad costs less than the iPhone.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Does the warranty cover speaker crackle? Because my iPad has always done that at high volumes, but if I can get a good one out of it, I might just go. I don't jailbreak my stuff so the volume caps are stock.

If it sounds like a genuine defect - be ready to demonstrate, if need be - I don't see why they wouldn't offer a replacement.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

smackfu posted:

OTOH, the iPad costs less than the iPhone.

Below a certain threshold, anyway. It's easy to make it more expensive if you opt for LTE and/or 64 or 128GB.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sieg posted:

I like to use: http://www.mac2sell.net/

It is a good general guide.

I can't find anyplace offering even half the amount this site is saying for my iPad 2 64GB AT&T

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mac2Sell is garbage and is in no way based on reality.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mac2Sell is garbage and is in no way based on reality.

They are usually in the ballpark from what I've seen.

I see a lot of iPhone 4 16GB on my local Craigslist for $200-250. M2S shows them being $200. I sold one yesterday for $150 that was in pretty good shape with no accessories. It didn't have a case on it for the last 18 months and was just thrown in the wife's purse.

I listed it when I got to work Wednesday morning and met the guy on my lunch break the same day. I probably could have sold it for closer to that $200 mark as fast as it went for $150.

fordan posted:

I can't find anyplace offering even half the amount this site is saying for my iPad 2 64GB AT&T

When you say "anyplace" do you mean something like Gazelle? Because you aren't going to pull in close to what it is worth going that route. M2S shows $440, which does seem a little high. On my local CL there are a couple of 64GB Wifi models that people are asking $350 for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sieg posted:

When you say "anyplace" do you mean something like Gazelle? Because you aren't going to pull in close to what it is worth going that route. M2S shows $440, which does seem a little high. On my local CL there are a couple of 64GB Wifi models that people are asking $350 for.

Those were the initial places I looked, but but Craigslist around here is still about $100 under that for newer iPads (although without 3G). And the ads you see are what people are asking, not necessarily getting. Ebay auctions with bids say probably $250-$300 top, vs $205 from Gazelle and $220-$240 for Amazon.