Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So the strategy of "put a robot inside a vehicle skin" continues from the Prime line. Gross.

edit: Please let that sword and shield be made out of Bumblebee's corpse, Jetfire style.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

He's an OK looking truck. And he looks OK from the front dead-on. Yeah, he looks horrible from every other angle but hey that's somethin' man!

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Part of me kinda wishes it's heavily mistransformed (which wouldn't be unusual) but honestly no amount of folding could hide that gigantic backpack.

It appears to be a deluxe?

However I'm gonna say that the transformation appears to be interesting and yum, poseable feet.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 10, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was going to say, there's no way that's a leader class with that much kibble hanging off it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Holy gently caress that Optimus is hideous! It is pretty sad when the best looking part is the tires...

Gaahhhhhh, movie toys.

:qq:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
That's so much kibble, that half of the entire robot is kibble. You could form a whole extra guy with all that kibble.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

They've gotta be trolling us. They're trolling us right? They're seriously calling that a Leader class? In the same vein as Buster Prime?

My god.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Those are 5mm peg holes in the hands, so it's almost certainly a Voyager. Robot mode still looks awful for a Voyager, but unless they're totally changing how they peg the Leader class toys' weapons, it's probably not a Leader.

But, in the press release: "The toys will be $44.99 USD with a May 1, 2014 release date." I guess that's a Leader class in this brave new "simplified design" world.

Oh well. That's money saved for me, I guess.

Edit: Definitely Leader sized.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's so much kibble, that half of the entire robot is kibble. You could form a whole extra guy with all that kibble.
There's so much kibble you don't even notice half the kibble at first. Kibble hiding behind kibble and then there's MORE kibble.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

You could almost build the truck mode out of detached kibble and keep him in robot mode next to it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Thats what happens when you try to make all the earth truck panels turn into spikey alien poo poo.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Being a transformers fan* is like being an immortal of something, living through all these dark ages, when the concept of "good transformers" dies for a year every 2-3 years, is making me yearn for the sweet relief of the grave.

*at least one of the ones that's not mentally disabled. If there was an anti-movie fan KKK I would proudly join.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Kibble aside, is it just me or does that robot mode not even try to make Prime look just even a bit heroic? He looks far more like he's out for blood, usually they try to pretend he's just another kindly old prime. Or maybe I'm too influenced by the CD thread.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Veg posted:

Thats what happens when you try to make all the earth truck panels turn into spikey alien poo poo.

Maybe they should make them look like robots that are made from vehicles like everything else that isn't the movies.

Maybe they just shouldn't allow Michael Bay to do movies. I'm not saying Bay shouldn't be allowed to do Transformers movies, he just shouldn't be allowed to do movies, like, period. That would be nice.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Kibble aside, is it just me or does that robot mode not even try to make Prime look just even a bit heroic? He looks far more like he's out for blood, usually they try to pretend he's just another kindly old prime. Or maybe I'm too influenced by the CD thread.

I've never touched that infamous CD thread and yeah movie Prime is a psychopathic monster and a terrible role model for children. You don't even have to read into it at all, it's right there on the surface.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

That uh, truck is er, not bad?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'm not seeing that at all, with the way he's posed he looks like Sentinel Prime to me wearing a bunch of Optimus kibble and there's so much of it, it's heavy, so he's really tired.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'm pretty much the president of the Bayverse Prime Is A Goddamned Psychopath Club, but I don't see that in that toy. Looks like all the other movie toys to me. The Bay designs have a mildly sinister element to them to begin with, so maybe that's it, but I don't see anything specific to that toy's design that makes me think they're embracing the inner monster element of the character.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

^^^ yeah it doesn't really look evil, just goofy. if it didn't have the giant backpack it'd be actually pretty cool looking. ^^^

That can't be the leader class, I refuse to believe it :psyduck:

Oh well that means I can safely ignore it.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Being a transformers fan* is like being an immortal of something, living through all these dark ages, when the concept of "good transformers" dies for a year every 2-3 years, is making me yearn for the sweet relief of the grave.

Even in DOTM we still got some pretty cool toys, and I'm sure this line can't be 100% stinkers. :colbert:

If you only mean the movies then yeah you're right.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Even in DOTM we still got some pretty cool toys, and I'm sure this line can't be 100% stinkers. :colbert:

If you only mean the movies then yeah you're right.

The movie toy lines are just a lot more hit and miss. I have a tub of the better movie toys. I'm not a monster.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The movie toy lines are just a lot more hit and miss. I have a tub of the better movie toys. I'm not a monster.

Just curious but what percent of those are non-movie characters?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The sooner we forget about that... monster, the better.

Have some pictures of much better toys:

Opened these up to find the 01 has two left feet... dang. I emailed TFSource, so we'll see if they can help me out. Regardless, they are killer little bots.

Simply put: Amazing. This is how you make a transforming robot toy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Ballparking it at 65%? I really like some of the movie character toys. HA Jazz is an incredible Masterpiece-level figure. Leader Sentinel and Ironhide are cool.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

catch22 posted:

The Entire HFTD line contained all the good movie toys and original molds.

Leader Starscream was the best version of the character, minimal bumblebees, The Purple and Electric Blue Fallen was a leader sized Voyager, Voyager Seaspray debuted in the line, all of the scouts were solid transformers, and many of the deluxes had G1 color schemes like Ratchet.

Also that TF4 Optimus Prime sword looks like it was made out of The Fallen's face....or somebody's face.

The sword has a face.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

It was a gift.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The only movie figure I kept was Leader Brawl. I can't say no to a sweet tank.

Also the Amazon exclusive launchers are so worth it

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 10, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well, some official photos of that Optimus appeared and the Kibble does fold to much more... manageable levels. The panels actually form some kind of waist/shoulder armor, I have to say it looks a lot better now. I really don't need more Leader OPs for now, however.

Also it's somehow "age of extinction generations Optimus Prime", WTF?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Even with the official photos putting it in "not painful to the eye" territory, it's fairly worrisome to see that even a Leader class movie figure is now basically a shellformer with a detail-molded robot inside it.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Don't forget that this is basically an upscaled Deluxe. All that shows to me is that Hasbro's idea of simpler, child-friendly toys and the hyper intricate movie designs are two concepts that are simply fundamentally incompatible. Here's hoping for some sort of Black Series collector's toyline that actually gets those designs across properly.

That said, what comes across of the design is pretty interesting. I don't know how he looks in the movie of course, but this toy in particular seems to borrow heavily from the general Beast Hunters aesthetic. The way the kibble panels work and the general downward-pointyness (contrasting against the upward-pointyness of the original movie Prime design) gives it a sort of "ancient warrior" vibe that seems like it would go well with the Dinobots.

Also that truck mode is rad as hell and no one can tell me otherwise.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
(Apologies for the crappy phonecam pic)

SO GOOD.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I really can't blame the basic idea of simplifying the designs, I mean ROTF Prime -as cool as he is- is a bore to transform. But yeah, like you say you can't have that AND hyper complex robot modes with fake parts all over. They did confirm that at least the generations line will keep current levels of complexity.

ROTF toys, at least the initial wave, were in many cases just needlessly complicated and overly fiddly. I predict that we will see at least one super cool toy rendition of this Optimus design eventually.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

I really, really regret not getting the one with the exclusive launchers now. Even though Prowl didn't have them in the cartoon, 90% of Prowl artwork has the toy-styled launchers and I generally imagine him with those. Maybe I can get some 3rd party ones later. They also really fill out his shoulders, because for whatever reason, it just looks like Prowl has big empty spots on either side of his head. I guess I'm just used to seeing him with them!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Terry van Feleday posted:

Don't forget that this is basically an upscaled Deluxe. All that shows to me is that Hasbro's idea of simpler, child-friendly toys and the hyper intricate movie designs are two concepts that are simply fundamentally incompatible. Here's hoping for some sort of Black Series collector's toyline that actually gets those designs across properly.

That said, what comes across of the design is pretty interesting. I don't know how he looks in the movie of course, but this toy in particular seems to borrow heavily from the general Beast Hunters aesthetic. The way the kibble panels work and the general downward-pointyness (contrasting against the upward-pointyness of the original movie Prime design) gives it a sort of "ancient warrior" vibe that seems like it would go well with the Dinobots.

Also that truck mode is rad as hell and no one can tell me otherwise.

I'm going to guess that if you remove the backpack you basically have the movie design. The lack of chest windows in particular is an interesting choice.

The truck mode is solid, for sure, especially if it has the chromed pieces in the final retail version, but shellformers generally do have pretty good alt modes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

I really can't blame the basic idea of simplifying the designs, I mean ROTF Prime -as cool as he is- is a bore to transform. But yeah, like you say you can't have that AND hyper complex robot modes with fake parts all over. They did confirm that at least the generations line will keep current levels of complexity.

ROTF toys, at least the initial wave, were in many cases just needlessly complicated and overly fiddly. I predict that we will see at least one super cool toy rendition of this Optimus design eventually.

At the very least legends figures will still be as cool as their size allows them to be.
Wouldn't mind another legends devestator. Or if it's the direction they're going, legends dinobots (which is probably the only way a full set of dinobots will be released).

But yeah, I can understand their ideas completely. Gotta remember who they're trying to sell children's toys to, even if the movie is not appropriate for children at all. At least we've got the generations and the comics, that's more than I could ask for myself.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, like, I'm a loving grownup, and there's literally a whole side-industry of both official and unofficial Transformers that caters exclusively to ME. They found during testing that kids didn't loving like the over complicated designs, which makes sense. They showed off once how G1 wheeljack transformed in 5 steps but in a new version it was 5 steps just to transform one foot. I'm okay with the series mainlines scaling back if it means the line gets to continue at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Rage posted:

Those are neat. I wasn't even aware that was a thing, BBTS hasn't ever screwed me over so I'm not in the habit of shopping around.

I guess I should be. The default cannons are nice. It's really a well-made toy. My inner 4 year old is quiet, for now.

Do Smokescreen and Bluestreak have similar extra shoulder cannons as bonuses from any place? I remember Smokescreen's shoulder cannons being pretty hefty in the cartoon.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Those are neat. I wasn't even aware that was a thing, BBTS hasn't ever screwed me over so I'm not in the habit of shopping around.

I guess I should be. The default cannons are nice. It's really a well-made toy. My inner 4 year old is quiet, for now.

Do Smokescreen and Bluestreak have similar extra shoulder cannons as bonuses from any place? I remember Smokescreen's shoulder cannons being pretty hefty in the cartoon.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the cannons are an Amazon Japan exclusive.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Arsenal_12 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the cannons are an Amazon Japan exclusive.

Correct, and yes, Bluestreak is getting the Amazon Japan shoulder launcher too, but I bought an extra one just so Prowl would look complete. I didn't order through BBTS or TFSource though, I had to get them from a local TF shop up here in Washington.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

Correct, and yes, Bluestreak is getting the Amazon Japan shoulder launcher too, but I bought an extra one just so Prowl would look complete. I didn't order through BBTS or TFSource though, I had to get them from a local TF shop up here in Washington.

I miss Steven, and should have thanked him for the sushi.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

I miss Steven, and should have thanked him for the sushi.

Yeah he is a rockin' dude. Him and Eddie of Edbomber.com are my favorite TF and 3rd party dudes. Always willing to bend over backwards to get what you need at awesome prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Smokescreen has different launchers all together in just the standard release.