Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: I wonder if they are going to keep Mikhael's baby voice for the dubbed version. I can't decide whether it's too silly or just hilarious.
God I hope not. That got grating after the second time he said something. And those were both one-word sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I now know of one game to get for PS3 next year! :toot:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I am never going to play this game and I can't wait for it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Renoistic posted:

I wonder if they are going to keep Mikhael's baby voice for the dubbed version. I can't decide whether it's too silly or just hilarious.

Maybe Yonah's voice actor can voice him :3:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Are the announcement trailers usually subtitled Japanese when they plan on doing English VA? I've never noticed, so I assumed here that meant they wouldn't be doing an English dub. No idea though. If we do get one, I really hope it's near Nier-quality.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Are the announcement trailers usually subtitled Japanese when they plan on doing English VA? I've never noticed, so I assumed here that meant they wouldn't be doing an English dub. No idea though. If we do get one, I really hope it's near Nier-quality.

Some are, the initial trailers for MGS V were spoken Japanese, subtitled in English, but with a guaranteed English release. Hopefully, assuming there will be a dub, SE will let the same company that did Nier on it.

Hey, Dazat, can I ask a favour? Feel free to say no - but, with you posting cool translations of the website stories, do you think you could do similar with the (currently untranslated) Nier stories?

The Stone Flower:

The Witches Sabbath:

Ending E - The Lost World:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I wonder who I have to sacrifice a goat to in order to get a PS3 review copy of Drakengard 3? It sounds absolutely fascinating. Like Nier before it, I doubt it'll be a 'good' game insofar as you can make objective judgements, but I have a feeling it'll be an interesting and worthwhile one.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I wonder who I have to sacrifice a goat the bones of a hundred children whose parents were brutally raped and murdered in front of them before being ruthlessly slaughtered by a cackling, bloodthirsty protagonist to in order to get a PS3 review copy of Drakengard 3?

Fixed that for you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Siliconera had an interview with the producer of Drakengard 3, long story short: "We at Cavia sucked at making games, so we got Access Games to make DoD 3 for us while we wrote it. As long as Yoko Taro is with us, there will be more Drakengard!"

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE. THERE WILL BE MORE.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Excellent. :unsmigghh:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I am not seeing the problem here!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

gently caress!

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
And The Dark Id will LP them all!

Edit: TDI, hope you enjoyed the break you got. You may not get another one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Dark Id posted:

gently caress!

They're not that bad, you big baby.

Drakengard 2 might've been. I never played it personally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Access Games made Deadly Premonition, so uhh... I don't know how much better they expect the gameplay to be over Nier.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Access Games made Deadly Premonition, so uhh... I don't know how much better they expect the gameplay to be over Nier.

They also made the "Lord of" series for Square-Enix (Arcana, Apocalypse) and they were pretty competent hunting action games, so maybe there's something there.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Francis York Morgan for protagonist of Drakengard 4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

alcharagia posted:

They're not that bad, you big baby.

Drakengard 2 might've been. I never played it personally.

Mechanically it's better than the first Drakengard - more combat variety, Dragon controls better and is integrated into the combat more smoothly, more interesting environments that aren't covered in brown fog, etc.

It's the story and atmosphere that's the biggest let down from the first. The first had the feel of "these characters are horrible people, and whatever they do to try to save the world, it's hosed", while the second is "Protag is anime-dragon Jesus and it's all going to be alright :downs:".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Surprise Plot Twist: Access Games's D4 is actually Drakengard 4.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

When I first saw the video, I was disappointed that they were apparently making "Drakengard 2, but more anime!" Know that I know more about it, I'm ready for the madness to begin again :suspense:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

...I...can hear....a sound.....

Oh. That was me shouting "gently caress yeah!" My bad.:tipshat:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

This rush of Drakengard 3 news is so awesome. Was this article posted yet?: http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/9/4821742/drakengard-3-was-developed-with-mature-jrpg-players-in-mind-says

It talks about potential censoring and localization. It'll be interesting to see how it's marketed in English, since the Japanese press releases are really flaunting all the sexual themes. It might end up like that Dragon's Crown kerfuffle.

From the author's description of how Dito and Zero's dialogue was translated, I'm hoping its Nier-quality.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hey, Dazat, can I ask a favour? Feel free to say no - but, with you posting cool translations of the website stories, do you think you could do similar with the (currently untranslated) Nier stories?

Sure, I don't mind. Thanks for the scans! I've also always really wanted to translate the drama CD; I wish someone had scans of the booklet...

On that note, I translated Two's story:
http://80sanime.tumblr.com/post/63633395241/two-todays-meal-is-there-anything-i-can-help

dazat fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 10, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

That story is too damned happy for Drakengard. Just watch as Cent turns out like Dito.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, just reading all the info that's been coming out for D3, I'm really....interested in what this game is going to be. But, I've never played the other Drakengard games or NIER. Will this be a problem? Should I play them (or find the LPs) or does this one stand on its own?

Also, is the composer for the NIER soundtrack doing this one? I loved NIER's soundtrack and I'm loving the theme that's in the trailer that shows all five sisters.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

Or from Rhythm Game Boss the Second.
Obviously the final encounter of the final ending path will be any/all of the surviving songstresses engaging pre-Drakengard Caim in a life-or-death rap battle.

It will be unwinnable.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Random Hajile posted:

Obviously the final encounter of the final ending path will be any/all of the surviving songstresses engaging pre-Drakengard Caim in a life-or-death rap battle.

It will be unwinnable.

I will pay good money for this. Someone call Square.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, just reading all the info that's been coming out for D3, I'm really....interested in what this game is going to be. But, I've never played the other Drakengard games or NIER. Will this be a problem? Should I play them (or find the LPs) or does this one stand on its own?

Also, is the composer for the NIER soundtrack doing this one? I loved NIER's soundtrack and I'm loving the theme that's in the trailer that shows all five sisters.

The stories of the first Drakengard game and Nier are pretty stand-alone (what happens in one of the endings of Drakengard is the cause for the setting in Nier, but isn't the focus of the story) - Drakengard 2 follows more directly on from one of the endings from Drakengard 1, so while it's possible to understand where it's going, some bits and references will are clearer to understand having played the first.

This game is looking to be pretty stand-alone too, (well, from what's been shown thus far), but heavily references stuff from the other games (the goddesses, watchers, etc). I'd recommend not playing Drakengards 1 or 2, but reading the LPs, and playing Nier (and later reading the LP - it's pretty good :ssh:).

Here's the link for all three LPs:
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard-2/
http://lparchive.org/NIER/

Yep, same composer is working on this one too - it's the Drakenier dream team :allears:

dazat posted:

Sure, I don't mind. Thanks for the scans! I've also always really wanted to translate the drama CD; I wish someone had scans of the booklet...

On that note, I translated Two's story:
http://80sanime.tumblr.com/post/63633395241/two-todays-meal-is-there-anything-i-can-help

Thanks!

I don't have scans of the booklet, sadly, but if you can translate aurally though, someone's uploaded the audiodrama on youtube.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 10, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey, so, you guys have done a LOT of awesome work w/r/t Drakengard 3 et all. Would it be possible to get it all listed with links and such in a single post so I could put it in the new OP? I've got the Drakengard 3 and Cavia Super Friends (ft. Drakengard 1, 2, RE: Dead Aim, NIER, Catacombs) thread almost ready to go but I'd hate for all your work to go to waste or just link this thread and say "find it."

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

PS3 only? Amazing, the game's not even out yet and I'm already depressed :smith:

Guess I have to get a PS3 at some point now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Policenaut posted:

Hey, so, you guys have done a LOT of awesome work w/r/t Drakengard 3 et all. Would it be possible to get it all listed with links and such in a single post so I could put it in the new OP? I've got the Drakengard 3 and Cavia Super Friends (ft. Drakengard 1, 2, RE: Dead Aim, NIER, Catacombs) thread almost ready to go but I'd hate for all your work to go to waste or just link this thread and say "find it."

Like, the news links and stuff?

This quote has got to be in the OP:

The Dark Id posted:

gently caress!

:allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well I'm mostly talking about all the fun translations and such, news articles could help too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Policenaut posted:

Well I'm mostly talking about all the fun translations and such, news articles could help too.

Ah, okay, courtesy of dazat's posts:

Five's story (summary)
Zero's story
Three's story
Dito's story
Two's story

Weapon stories I
Weapon stories II

Manga summaries - Chapter 1-6
Manga keywords

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pesky Splinter posted:

The stories of the first Drakengard game and Nier are pretty stand-alone (what happens in one of the endings of Drakengard is the cause for the setting in Nier, but isn't the focus of the story) - Drakengard 2 follows more directly on from one of the endings from Drakengard 1, so while it's possible to understand where it's going, some bits and references will are clearer to understand having played the first.

This game is looking to be pretty stand-alone too, (well, from what's been shown thus far), but heavily references stuff from the other games (the goddesses, watchers, etc). I'd recommend not playing Drakengards 1 or 2, but reading the LPs, and playing Nier (and later reading the LP - it's pretty good :ssh:).

Here's the link for all three LPs:
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard-2/
http://lparchive.org/NIER/

Yep, same composer is working on this one too - it's the Drakenier dream team :allears:

Thanks for the links! I'll be reading up and maybe jumping on NIER if I find the time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Awww. Too bad it's going to end horribly :smith: Four being all about nutritional values, root fruits, and tasteless food made me laugh because that pretty much describes my cooking to a t. Thanks for translating the stories!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Drakengard 3 exists because Square-Enix wants to attract hardcore gamers again, also other fun stuff in this interview.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Then hopefully they don't censor it. In the year of our Lord 2013 there's no reason to edit games coming over from the Japan.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Dark Id posted:

gently caress!

You try to get away...

...but they keep pulling you in. :getin:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Interview with Siliconera posted:

After producer Takamasa Shiba demoed Drakengard 3, we talked about Zero, the game’s anti-hero who is on a mission to kill her sisters. Siliconera also asked Shiba about editing content in previous Drakengard games and Valkyrie Profile.

I know you can’t go into why Zero wants to kill her sisters at the moment, but it’s clear that the story is quite dark. Can you please explain what goes into making a dark story that still engrossing, and without making it so dark and foreboding that it turns people off?

Takamasa Shiba, Producer: We have a good balance of darkness and humor… there’s actually a good bit of the former, in the in-game dialogue for example. We don’t want to turn it into a completely dark story. There are still scenes were you can laugh.

Speaking of story, can you talk more about how the story in Drakengard 3 connects to Drakengard 1, Drakengard 2, and Nier?

[Drakengard] 3 is actually a prequel to one. So part three happens first, then part one, then part two. There is relation, between the worlds of Drakengard 3 and Nier, but I can’t talk about that right now.

In recent years, primarily in America, there has been a great deal of sensitivity towards how female characters are represented. Are you at all mindful of how Zero will be received in the West?

In terms of how we portray the protagonist, there won’t be anything sexual. Instead of revealing or spoiling anything here… we wanted to let you know that, that sense of sexuality might mostly be conveyed via dialogue rather than her actions.

I also noticed that Zero’s dragon’s had the voice of a child.

Dragon companions are back in Drakengard 3. But one big difference is how it’s very child like, hence the voice, whom Zero has to protect.

Care to elaborate on what you mean? Will it go out of control, like a child sometimes does?

No, the dragon will simply have child-like, characteristics, not behavior.

Drakengard has in the past dealt with sexually taboo subject matters, and it would appear that the latest continues down that path. Some details were removed in the past for Drakengard. Will Drakengard 3 be unaltered in the West?

The basic principle is this: we are not planning on making any changes. But, for the script, if there are areas in which it is absolutely necessary, we will make changes.

When you say the script, are we talking about bits of dialogue or actual scenes, like the cut scenes and the like?

Just the dialogue.

Will players be able to choose between English and Japanese voices?

We are considering it, because many users are interested in such a feature. Though Sony puts limitations on the size of games, so we have to take that into consideration as well.

When it comes to on the ground combat, Drakengard 3 has on the fly weapon switching. What other changes differentiate Drakengard 3 from other action RPGs?

Much like in Nier, we call our system "weapon story"… meaning, each weapon tells a different story. The more one powers up a weapon, the more story it ends up telling during gameplay.

Can you talk about the changes to the on dragon gameplay? Is there maneuverability?

It’s a very different animal in Drakengard 3. We’ve put a lot of focus in improving the aerial gameplay. In the previous games, you couldn’t even walk on the ground, while mounted on a dragon. Before, you just flew and shot fire, that’s it. But here, you can charge up, you can lock onto enemies, you can walk on the ground… there’s a lot more you can do that you couldn’t before.

I know it might be too soon to ask, but any thoughts on a possible Drakengard 4?

It entirely depends on how well part three does. Though, if it does happen, it would more than likely be for next gen, the PlayStation 4.

Connects with Nier, huh...

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
It seems fitting that both Five and Dito are both terrible people that have just that microscopic possibility of empathy, of course one's terrible for always being happy no matter what anyone else's situation is and one is always annoyed or disgusted, a likely possibility in my mind is that Five is not in as much control of Dito's actions as he says to himself, another thought is that Five might actually be more aware of Dito's true nature than he thinks.

Two's story was sweet and all but the possibility that Cent is only acting being in love with her is a tragedy waiting to happen, and even if that's not the case there's always the chance of Two only being convinced that's the case, which would be doubly tragic, at least that's one way to break up the dream team.

The fact that apostles seem to be physically incapable of attacking their songstress at least offers an explanation for how Zero can have an apostle like Cent 'on her side', assuming that ownership of an apostle transfers to Zero upon her sister's death.

I think having multiple tragic events unfold on screen will do Drakengard 3 some good, considering some of the best writing in Drakengard came from the grimdark weapon descriptions. Besides, failure coming from a person's character flaws is much more palpable then just "Sorry Caim! the sanctuary was destroyed before we could get there, oh well on to the next one!"

macfam fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Policenaut posted:

Connects with Nier, huh...

Copying this post I made on NeoGAF. Hope that's okay:

∀ Narayan posted:

I just noticed a small detail in the debut trailer.

Notice the symbols floating around during the depictions of the Intoners establishing peace with their songs.

Look familiar? ;)

A connection to Nier has been in plain sight from the get-go.

I can't wait for this game. :getin:

• Locked thread