Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Tendai posted:

Is it normal for cats to sleep a whole hell of a lot more after getting vaccinated? Kiska got 3 year vaccines for rabies, feline leukemia, chlamydia and I think one other thing about 24 hours ago and she has just about slept that whole time without her usual spurts of "I'M A CAT I'M A CAT I'M A CAT WHEEE GONNA RUN AROUND" like she usually has. There doesn't seem to be any other reaction, just some hardcore sleeps. My google searches turn up the usual mix of "yes it's normal" and "NO OH GOD GO TO THE VET NOW" so I figured I'd see if anyone else's cat reacts like this here.

Vaccines can make them kind of sleepy. It's not unusual. If she doesn't perk up in a reasonable time and/or gets increasingly more lethargic, it's probably worth calling your vet. But I think for now that's fine. Sometimes just the stress of the vet visit alone can make them sleepy.

I have a question - we just got another cat yesterday, and he came with the sniffles. He's not interested in eating and I don't think he's ate much of anything since yesterday. Besides heating up his food, any other suggestions? We don't have tuna.

Edit: I got him to chow down on microwaved Fancy Feast, but I don't want him to eat that forever...

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Shnooks posted:

Vaccines can make them kind of sleepy. It's not unusual. If she doesn't perk up in a reasonable time and/or gets increasingly more lethargic, it's probably worth calling your vet. But I think for now that's fine. Sometimes just the stress of the vet visit alone can make them sleepy.

I have a question - we just got another cat yesterday, and he came with the sniffles. He's not interested in eating and I don't think he's ate much of anything since yesterday. Besides heating up his food, any other suggestions? We don't have tuna.

Edit: I got him to chow down on microwaved Fancy Feast, but I don't want him to eat that forever...

I had the same problem when I adopted one of my cats, he had a cold and wouldn't eat after we brought him home. I called the shelter to ask what I should do and they had me bring him back in so they could treat the cold and they kept him in a room with a humidifier I think so he could breathe and actually smell the food. Once he starts recovering from his cold he'll probably start eating regular not stinky food. If he goes a while without eating (I called after a day of no eating I think) definitely call the shelter or a vet.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast got his first rabies vaccination Monday morning, and was pretty much comatose for the rest of the day. He's fine now, but I was told it's normal.

They told me to watch out for signs of severe reactions, like high fever, vomiting, trouble breathing, etc. Otherwise I was told not to worry about it unless the lethargy persisted for longer than a day.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
My cats have had a favourite toy since they were kittens, and it's getting dangerously close to falling apart completely. I'm looking for a replacement but since my fiance bought it for them before I was in the picture I have no idea where he got it and he doesn't remember. I've been looking at every pet store I've gone to for the last year or so, as well as a few online searches but I don't have much to go on and haven't able to find it, so I'm hoping maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about.

It's a simple stuffed toy on a string, but it's a skunk that used to be wearing a superhero cape. My fiance insists it was actually called "Super Skunk" but that hasn't been helpful at all so I don't know if he's necessarily remembering that correctly. Any leads on tracking another one down would be much appreciated by me and our 2 kitties!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Hi guys I'm sorry to nag about my previous post but I'm deeply concerned about my cat pooping on the couch. She did it again this morning. My husband is very sensitive to smells and gets so sick (even after I've treated with Nature's Miracle) that he can't come into the den. As I said there's no medical reason that the vet could find, and she uses the boxes just fine in the day, just not once we go to bed. I've tried Feliway, putting a new box next to the couch, and moving the hedgehog in case she's feeling territorial about him. I'm scared my husband's sensitivities might cause me to have to rehome her. I'd hate that because she was my Grandpa's kitty and my dad (who lives with us) adores her, as do all of us.

I only really trust PI on these matters, as every other site I've looked into has said things like "smack it and rub it's nose in it" or "Get a new cat hurr hurr". Ugh.

Any suggestions that don't involve wrapping my sofa in plastic?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I had a cat do that to me once, and it appeared to be a message that she was really mad about the state of her litter box. If I had to guess, your cat is likewise sending you a message that he's really pissed off about something. That's all the insight I can offer, you'll have to try to figure out what it is.

Or maybe it's something else. Beats me.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Stairs posted:

Hi guys I'm sorry to nag about my previous post but I'm deeply concerned about my cat pooping on the couch. She did it again this morning. My husband is very sensitive to smells and gets so sick (even after I've treated with Nature's Miracle) that he can't come into the den. As I said there's no medical reason that the vet could find, and she uses the boxes just fine in the day, just not once we go to bed. I've tried Feliway, putting a new box next to the couch, and moving the hedgehog in case she's feeling territorial about him. I'm scared my husband's sensitivities might cause me to have to rehome her. I'd hate that because she was my Grandpa's kitty and my dad (who lives with us) adores her, as do all of us.

I only really trust PI on these matters, as every other site I've looked into has said things like "smack it and rub it's nose in it" or "Get a new cat hurr hurr". Ugh.

Any suggestions that don't involve wrapping my sofa in plastic?

Can you restrict the cat's access to the room with the couch? Have you tried the Cat Attract litter/additive yet?

http://www.preciouscat.com/product/cat-attract/

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

I had a cat do that to me once, and it appeared to be a message that she was really mad about the state of her litter box. If I had to guess, your cat is likewise sending you a message that he's really pissed off about something. That's all the insight I can offer, you'll have to try to figure out what it is.

Or maybe it's something else. Beats me.

Same. My cat would be mad because I didn't change the litter enough, or wasn't home enough, or because she was a grumpy old cat, and she would go in my bed, on the couch, whatever. She's probably trying to tell you something. The fact it's only at night.. is she allowed in the bedroom with anyone?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Hummingbirds posted:

Can you restrict the cat's access to the room with the couch? Have you tried the Cat Attract litter/additive yet?

http://www.preciouscat.com/product/cat-attract/

I cannot restrict her unfortunately (drat open floor plans) but I'll pick up some Cat Attract tomorrow, even though she doesn't seem to have an issue with the litter box currently. Something I just thought of too is that the three main boxes are all in the kitchen next to each other, so I'm going to try separating them in different rooms. Maybe she's scared of the kitchen at night and doesn't like the new box in the den for some reason...

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I just reread all your posts, could it be that Teddy and Simba don't let her use Their Litterboxes when they can see Nightstar use it? So that's why she only uses them sometimes, and she shots on the couch because it smells like you guys and that means it's safe? Do the boys get along with her well?

It could also possibly be that she's having separation anxiety about being away from your grandpa. I don't have any idea what to do about these things except the calming hormone spray, unfortunately, I'm sorry. Since the vet couldn't see anything physical it's probably an emotional/behavioural thing, and cats only respond to positive reinforcement or immediate shocking disincentives like a sharp noise or rush on air on the nose like from a SSS-cat.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Do you run a dishwasher at night?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, you have other cats! That makes it almost an entirely different story. They could be keeping her from using it. Also, I'd think she could still be grieving. Either way, the fact she's so open about going there, even to going on your daughter's lap, makes me think she's trying to communicate something. Are you sure there's no medical reason? I mean, a vet isn't going to be able to look at a cat and diagnose IBS or something.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

in_cahoots posted:

Do you run a dishwasher at night?

Oh. My. God. Maybe this is it?! My dishwasher runs every night, and also when Nightstar went on my daughter! Could also be Teddy and Simba, even though they get along really well with her when we're around it could be a schoolyard bully thing. I'll try not running it at night and isolating T and S in the boy's room overnight (with a litter box).

[/b]Araenna[b] Our vet did a bunch of tests, most of which have already come back negative for anything, but he said to watch her and make sure she isn't in pain when she goes potty, which she isn't.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

There's a cat that used to belong to the people next door until they moved out and abandoned her. I'm trying to get her to come close enough so I can bring her to a vet but she's super timid and even getting her to eat with me somewhat close takes an hour. Is there any chance I will be able to get closer without spooking her?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Drythe posted:

There's a cat that used to belong to the people next door until they moved out and abandoned her. I'm trying to get her to come close enough so I can bring her to a vet but she's super timid and even getting her to eat with me somewhat close takes an hour. Is there any chance I will be able to get closer without spooking her?

It may just take time. She has to trust you. If she has an obvious problem and needs to get to a vet right away, a live catch trap may be your only option. Or maybe lure her into a dead end somewhere and get a friend to block the exit while you grab her. Otherwise, just keep feeding her.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

No obvious problems, the cat seems to be living in the old house despite someone trying their best effort to board up the place. I'm not sure what to do with her once I get her to the vet. I'm moving into an apartment that is cat friendly next august but I don't want to make it live outside until then, even though that's what she has seemed to do for the last 3 years even when her owners lived there.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
So, we've let Franklin out of the bathroom for supervised visits with Lilly. He still spends the night in the bathroom and any portions of the day that we are gone.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to deal with feeding. Lilly is a grazer. She gets breakfast and dinner, but generally her bowl is never empty because she likes to pick and nibble over a long period of time. Franklin, thus far, is a gobbler. He eats everything in one go and leaves his bowl empty otherwise. Right now, when Frankie is roaming with us around, we put Lilly's bowl up because the little fatty beelines for her dish and starts trying to gobble all her food up. My parents cats never did this so I honestly have no idea how to deal with it; they just automatically left each other bowls alone.

When he's out fulltime how can I make sure he doesn't eat Lilly's share? Do I just stick it out and hope Lilly figures it out and either starts eating quicker or reprimands him for touching her bowl? Right now it's okay because Franklin can't reach her bowl when it's put up on the counter, but that won't always be the case. :shobon:

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I've been living in this house for about two months. The landlord lives here with another roommate, but they're both usually gone on work trips or vacation. That leaves me and the landlord's cat. It has been us two for almost a week, and I thought we were getting along fine. Sometimes, he comes into my room and walks around me or just hangs out. However, when I'm in another room with him he runs away from me, hissing, growling, and making other scared/angry cat noises. I usually just walk away from him or ignore him.

Tonight, he peed on the kitchen floor, and I think he peed in the other roommate's room because it smells like cat pee. I'm guessing he's marking his territory, maybe just stressed out, scared of me, or maybe something else. He's fixed, too. I don't know for how long. I'm guessing he's been fixed since he was eligible for the surgery, and he's at least several years old. The cat is use to other roommate because she's been living with the landlord for nearly four years.

Time and patience is an obvious solution. I plan on moving out, but if I don't, I'd at least like to get along with the cat. I feel kinda stupid, too, since I've lived with six cats, but that was different since I raised most them from when they were little kittens.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Is immediately putting my cat inside when she jumps up on the railing of my porch the best way to teach her not to do it?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hummingbirds posted:

Is immediately putting my cat inside when she jumps up on the railing of my porch the best way to teach her not to do it?

The best way to teach her not to do it is to make the act of doing it unpleasant in itself. Put something that feels bad to land on like aluminium foil or find a sound that she hates and make that sound happen when she jumps up (but the less connected to you, the better). If she's a very obedient cat then punishing her might work but more likely it'll have no effect or at best she'll just do it while you're not around.

That said, if there's something really tempting on the other side of the railing then you're probably never going to convince her not to do it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

The best way to teach her not to do it is to make the act of doing it unpleasant in itself. Put something that feels bad to land on like aluminium foil or find a sound that she hates and make that sound happen when she jumps up (but the less connected to you, the better). If she's a very obedient cat then punishing her might work but more likely it'll have no effect or at best she'll just do it while you're not around.

That said, if there's something really tempting on the other side of the railing then you're probably never going to convince her not to do it.

She's a really well-behaved cat and she only comes outside when I'm out too, and normally she gets the hint for several days to a few weeks after she jumps up and I have to put her in. I think I'll just continue what I'm doing as she's never shown indication of actually jumping off the railing onto the ground (she's very timid outside and doesn't like not being able to see me) but if she continues to do it I'll try making the railing itself unpleasant to jump on. Thanks!

E: just now she was about to jump up, so I said her name in a threatening manner and she went to the door and asked to go inside instead of jumping. :toot:

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 11, 2013

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My wife and I are considering getting 2 ragdolls - has anyone ever owned a pair of these and can discuss their general behavior? Obviously they have a reputation as being extremely friendly and docile, but does that by extension tend to make them lazy? We want cats that are laid back, but will still play and chase/kill bugs, chase a laser pointer, etc.

Edit: Our other choices we're considering are Maine Coons or Norwegian Forest, so we're open to input on those as well.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

squeee posted:

When he's out fulltime how can I make sure he doesn't eat Lilly's share?

Yeah, you can't. At least, not as long as you continue to let Lilly free feed. You'll have to put her on specific mealtimes and keep their dishes separated (maybe even locking one in another room until they're both done) to prevent fattycat from eating her food. It may take a few days to get Lilly to eat her whole bowl at mealtime, but she'll learn. Give her 30 minutes with the meal and then put the rest away.

It sucks to do because you're essentially teaching a well-adjusted cat that she needs to be more like the hogcat, but you can't really teach Franklin (or any cat) not to eat catfood that isn't theirs.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

DM Zero posted:

My wife and I are considering getting 2 ragdolls - has anyone ever owned a pair of these and can discuss their general behavior? Obviously they have a reputation as being extremely friendly and docile, but does that by extension tend to make them lazy? We want cats that are laid back, but will still play and chase/kill bugs, chase a laser pointer, etc.

Edit: Our other choices we're considering are Maine Coons or Norwegian Forest, so we're open to input on those as well.

I have two different friends that each have a ragdoll, and they are both plenty playful. The only thing docile about them is that they flop when you pick them up.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Serella posted:

Yeah, you can't. At least, not as long as you continue to let Lilly free feed. You'll have to put her on specific mealtimes and keep their dishes separated (maybe even locking one in another room until they're both done) to prevent fattycat from eating her food. It may take a few days to get Lilly to eat her whole bowl at mealtime, but she'll learn. Give her 30 minutes with the meal and then put the rest away.

It sucks to do because you're essentially teaching a well-adjusted cat that she needs to be more like the hogcat, but you can't really teach Franklin (or any cat) not to eat catfood that isn't theirs.

What about a Lilly access only room using a tagged collar and an RFID cat flap? I've never actually used one or seen one in use but they seem like they'd be useful for a situation like this.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Serella posted:

Yeah, you can't. At least, not as long as you continue to let Lilly free feed. You'll have to put her on specific mealtimes and keep their dishes separated ( even locking one in another room until they're both done) to prevent fattycat from eating her food. It may take a few days to get Lilly to eat her whole bowl at mealtime, but she'll learn. Give her 30 minutes with the meal and then put the rest away.

As an add on to this: I have a similar arrangement with Ozma and Pizza Brother. Food hog Pete would eat all grazer Ozma's breakfast if I let him. At the same time every morning, before my husband has to wake up, oz is fed in the bedroom with the door closed and Pete in the dining room. It took about a month or so for Ozma to figure out that that bit of time is all she gets to eat, and now she finishes by the time husband gets up and opens the door for her.

In the evening we feed them together only because that's when oz gets her wet food, and pizza won't touch it, otherwise it'd be the same song.

So its not hard to get into a schedule, just be consistent. Months later and even pizza has learned he doesn't have to scarf.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

DM Zero posted:

I own one ragdoll. In general, they are pretty chill, friendly cats but I definitely wouldn't say they're lazy. In my experience:

My Ragdoll Is Great At:
- Chasing things/other cats/GOTTA GET THAT LASER POINTER RIGHT NOW
- Rolling around on the floor forever
- Being comically fluffy
- Being sweet natured - doesn't get into feral moods like other cats, has never deliberately scratched us (but does struggle with enthusiasm when held or being pilled)

My Ragdoll Is Terrible At:
- Being smart. Hugo is dumb. Dumb as hell.
- Hunting. Can only catch bread and vegetables.
- Fighting. Fights like a seal trying to slap someone.
- Recognising food. Is confused by raw meat. Only eats one (1) brand of dry food and one (1) brand of wet food. Rejects everything else.
- Being limp. Does not function as described on packaging - hates being held, will not go limp.

Each cat obviously has it's own personality, and I known mine has quite different traits to some of his other littermates; for example one of them is a farm cat and is a champion hunter who catches mice every day, and his brother is a fatass who will inhale anything vaguely food-related.

If I were you I'd get a Ragdoll and a Maine Coon. Having different kinds of cats is fun.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

DM Zero posted:

I'm absolutely not one of those "YOU MUST GET A SHELTER CAT" people and if you've got your heart set on getting purebred cats then please ignore me and absolutely get purebred cats, but since you seem to be deciding on cats based on temperament and coat length rather than wanting a specific breed I thought I'd mention that cats aren't really like dogs when it comes to different breeds. There's much less differentiation and (as you can see from the post above about a ragdoll that won't go floppy when picked up) breed is not the be-all and end-all of temperament. If you're not specifically after a purebred cat and just want a fluffy, friendly cat, you'd do just as well to look at young adult cats at a shelter and pick a couple who get on well and are known to be docile and friendly. It's especially easy to find Maine Coon-looking cats and it's much, much cheaper than getting an "actual" Maine Coon. I think they're also less likely to have health problems, so they're easier from that point of view too.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
My parents have a "shelter special" cat who has a lot of the Ragdoll traits - fluffy, very docile and easygoing, goes limp when you pick her up and just lets you carry her around, etc. She's so calm and mild-mannered and stands in stark contrast to her best friend, a slightly mentally unhinged alpha female-type tortie who has some serious attitude. The placid cat was actually sort of a bonus cat - my mom wanted to adopt the tortie, and the shelter said that they'd have to adopt her best friend, too. :3: As it turns out, Midnight is sort of everyone's secret favorite out of my parents' three cats, because she is just so gosh darn happy to hang out and chill with her people and never puts up a fuss about anything.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want a super chill super cool cat, go to a shelter, pick out the tortie with attitude, and take along her bestie too.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I think probably the only safe-to-assume difference between breeds is physical stuff, like size - if you're after a big mog, you don't know what you're in for with a shelter kitten, but with a ragdoll you can reasonably assume the cat will be relatively large, which is why I wanted a ragdoll and will get a Maine Coon one day. Of course, Decoy is heavier than Hugo so whatever.

I've got to say that even though I just did a big write up on my purebred ragdoll, I love my ghetto kitten every bit as much. They're both awesome - so if you're after two cats, maybe you could pick up a shelter kitten and a purebred kitten like we did. We just walked into the kitten room and picked the one that vaulted out of the cage and onto my husband's shoulder - easy!

Bad picture but you get the point. Different litters, best buds. Also too big to share the cat bed anymore.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 12, 2013

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Robo Kitty posted:

The placid cat was actually sort of a bonus cat - my mom wanted to adopt the tortie, and the shelter said that they'd have to adopt her best friend, too.

This isn't that uncommon. Our fosterers get to know the cats pretty well and will tell the homing person about any bonded pairs/groups. The homing person will pass that on as a condition, you take one, you take both/all. It's a tossup though because it makes them harder to home but anyone who's seen how they behave when split up will not willing do it to them.

I had my own 'pet of pet' cat too - Frankie (below). He was too wild to sex when he came in so he got an androgynous name (course they found out what he was when he went in for neutering). He and Oliver were best friends so when I took Oli, I got Frankie as Oli's pet cat. Over time he calmed down and turned into a wonderfully affectionate companion. He died suddenly from cancer before his 9th birthday - Oli still wanders the house occasionally calling, that long low 'merrrrrooooow', nearly 4 years on.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009

DM Zero posted:

As others have said, ragdoll personalities vary widely. My mom and I both got ragdolls about a month apart from the same breeder but different litters. My mom's ragdoll won't go limp when you pick him up, but he flops around on the floor all the time, and is very very playful. He is also very lovey and must be in your lap at all times. My ragdoll, Loki, goes limp when picked up and is very friendly with anyone that comes over. He does not want to be held for very long, and will wine at you if you hold him longer than he wants. He only wants to be pet on his own terms, but will follow you around like a dog and comes when you call his name. He is very playful and loves laser pointers and killing bugs; he is not lazy at all! At 6 months old he is already 9 lbs and ragdolls do not stop growing until they are 2 - 3 years old.

This is Loki at about 3 months, being floppy:

Here is Loki more recently:

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Huntersoninski posted:

As an add on to this: I have a similar arrangement with Ozma and Pizza Brother. Food hog Pete would eat all grazer Ozma's breakfast if I let him. At the same time every morning, before my husband has to wake up, oz is fed in the bedroom with the door closed and Pete in the dining room. It took about a month or so for Ozma to figure out that that bit of time is all she gets to eat, and now she finishes by the time husband gets up and opens the door for her.

In the evening we feed them together only because that's when oz gets her wet food, and pizza won't touch it, otherwise it'd be the same song.

So its not hard to get into a schedule, just be consistent. Months later and even pizza has learned he doesn't have to scarf.

Serella posted:

Thanks for the answers. We'll just try to get Lilly onto a schedule. They seem to be getting better at it on their own too. Now we just need to figure out litterbox stuff and we'll be okay. Franklin ONLY uses Lilly's box now, as in any box Lilly uses. We added two boxes when we brought Franklin home, so now we have three total. One really large one and two medium ones. Thus far I haven't seen Lilly use any of the boxes Franklin's officially touched. I say officially because I've seen him pop into the main box a few times, but I wasn't sure if he'd actually used it. Now he's used all the boxes fully and I haven't seen Lilly use any since. This is so stressful. Agh. I never realized how lucky I was when I was living at home with my parent's cats and they just figured it all out on their own. :shobon:

squeee fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 13, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
One of my kittens might have a problem and I wanted to ask straightaway.

Long story short: A few weeks ago I "caught", by hand, one of the feral kittens that lives near my building. She's an absolutely precious black kitten with white underbelly and mittens of about 10 weeks of age. She was already weaned and she's taken to living indoors with people very quickly - I have no doubt that she is going to be a happy and lovable companion. However, starting yesterday, her meow sounds scary. She's quite chirpy, and when I first brought her inside she had a loud, authoritative kitten meow. Now, however, it sounds raspy, strained, and a little gurgly if that's a word. Apart from that, she looks fine: she's eating, playing, using the box and purring like a champ when I hold her. She had a bad case of eye gunk when I first got her, but a few days of treatment with some ophthalmic gel took care of that and this problem just sprung up. I could be overreacting, but could this be a symptom of a more serious problem? I don't want to press the panic button, but if she needs to go to the kitten doctor then I'll take her.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
One(or both) of my cats has just decided that using the litter box is for suckers after 2 years of being house broken. I have my suspicions but I can't really be sure of which one is doing it because I see them both use the boxes occasionally. She likes to poo poo on the carpet in the basement or piss in the heating ducts or all over the hardwood floor in the dining room.

I have used repellant spray to keep them out of those areas but it doesn't seem to have an effect. I have used special "kitten" attractant kitty litter and that seems to help but eventually it starts up again. I have three loving boxes for two cats and I usually clean them every day.

Both cats took to the litter box pretty much instantly when they were kittens. I am not sure what changed.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Hello, PI. I am in dire need of some automated feeder recommendations. The cats and their horrifying mewls have lately been insufficient to wake my fiance, but they are enough to scare the dog who barks and wakes me up. Since I'm more of a night owl, this leaves me exhausted.

Ideally, I'd like something purchasable from Amazon as I have free 2 day shipping. However, so many of the reviews complain about flimsy products that break immediately or that cats learn to game for extra kibble. I don't know what product I can trust to not be a terrible piece of poo poo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 14, 2013

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

BobKnob posted:

One(or both) of my cats has just decided that using the litter box is for suckers after 2 years of being house broken. I have my suspicions but I can't really be sure of which one is doing it because I see them both use the boxes occasionally. She likes to poo poo on the carpet in the basement or piss in the heating ducts or all over the hardwood floor in the dining room.

I have used repellant spray to keep them out of those areas but it doesn't seem to have an effect. I have used special "kitten" attractant kitty litter and that seems to help but eventually it starts up again. I have three loving boxes for two cats and I usually clean them every day.

Both cats took to the litter box pretty much instantly when they were kittens. I am not sure what changed.

Could be that one of them has a urinary tract infection, crystals, or some other issue going on and a vet check with urinalysis might be in order. It's pretty common to see inappropriate urination with things like UTIs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nyarai posted:

Hello, PI. I am in dire need of some automated feeder recommendations. The cats and their horrifying mewls have lately been insufficient to wake my fiance, but they are enough to scare the dog who barks and wakes me up. Since I'm more of a night owl, this leaves me exhausted.

Ideally, I'd like something purchasable from Amazon as I have free 2 day shipping. However, so many of the reviews complain about flimsy products that break immediately or that cats learn to game for extra kibble. I don't know what product I can trust to not be a terrible piece of poo poo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only solution to this that I've found is ignoring them no matter what. It will cost you some sleep for a while, but they need to learn that howling does not get them attention. Getting up and dealing with them in any way rewards the behavior. Or lock them in their litter box room at night, as far away from you as possible if they howl anyway.

Another alternative is to just leave a big bowl of dry food out that they can munch at their leisure. I personally know nothing of automatic feeders, unfortunately.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
So the family cat has taken to occasionally pissing on random things. Like, deliberately coming up to something, sniffing at it and then marking it (example: my partner's mother's scarf that was hanging off a chair in the dining room; another example: the bathroom door). He's indoor/outdoor and was fixed quite late, at around nine months old. Would that contribute to him still occasionally marking things? Or is he an arsehole? Should we take him to the vet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Deteriorata posted:

The only solution to this that I've found is ignoring them no matter what. It will cost you some sleep for a while, but they need to learn that howling does not get them attention. Getting up and dealing with them in any way rewards the behavior. Or lock them in their litter box room at night, as far away from you as possible if they howl anyway.

Another alternative is to just leave a big bowl of dry food out that they can munch at their leisure. I personally know nothing of automatic feeders, unfortunately.
Ignoring them could work, but only if I moved out for the duration. I'm an extremely light sleeper and would go insane. Meanwhile, the fiance has slept through the barks and cats jumping on him, not to mention chewing off bits of his hair. :catstare:

They're also prone to being lardasses, so freefeeding is out. Thank you for the advice though. It was very good, and I wish I could use it. :)

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 14, 2013