Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

IUG posted:

Didn't Jack shoot Snowman through the heart?

Yeah, but paradox space (Or Lord English, Doc Scratch, someone. All of the above?) had pretty much designated that as a Thing That Had to Happen.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

The fanfiction authors would have you believe it just means a BDSM relationship. No, I'm not gonna defend myself for knowing that; I pretty much deserve that look on your face right now.

Thanks man, now we have to seal the airlocks to make sure nothing gets out into the general population. Again.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Seoinin posted:

Black's supposed to be rivalry, not driving your partner to attempt murder while crying. I don't think we've seen a functioning kismewhatever yet.

e. Jack & Snowman, that's how its supposed to be.

This is interesting because Gamzee's treatment of Terezi is actually pretty similar to how the Black Queen treated Jack. Like Gamzee with Terezi, the Queen regularly threatened, attacked, and humiliated Jack for her own amusement, taking advantage of his complete inability to defend himself due to the Snowman's universe destroying power and the Queen's prototyping. There was an incredible power imbalance between the two, and Jack really had no choice but to take her abuse or impotently resist until she started threatening his life. But Jack never felt weak or helpless when she beat the poo poo out of him and tore his arm off. Her mockery and violence didn't push him into a downward spiral of self-loathing and regret while feeling both terrified and dependent on her. Jack wasn't afraid the Queen, even though she could slaughter him in an instant, she pissed him the hell off and he was determined to do everything in his power to find some way to take her down.

And Slick's relationship with Snowman even seemed to have a positive effect on him. Look at how B2 Jack acted during his jailbreak, he's a bumbling, incompetent dipshit who can't go one minute without sabotaging his own escape attempt by stabbing someone for no reason or something equally stupid. He runs completely on impulse and can't handle with any situation that can't be solved with murder. It's hard to imagine that the same guy is the one who came up with Operation Regisurp, a complex scheme to overthrow a 12x prototyped Black Queen and steal her ring that involved espionage, political sabotage, and maintaining teamwork between a dysfunctional group of twelve kids he absolutely despises. Can you imagine the Jack of Jackbreak taking on the Felt and working on the fly to use their confusing time powers against them? Spades Slick's desire to defeat Snowman by any means necessary is what drove him to stop solving his problems with mindless violence but with much more well thought out violence.

Gamzee may treat Terezi like Snowman treated Slick, but it hasn't been constructive to Terezi's personal development or emotional well-being at all. From what we know about the situation, Gamzee doesn't see her as a rival to challenge him and he doesn't want her to try and oppose him. Snowman pushed Slick down to watch him get up and make a futile attempt at pushing her back. Gamzee pushes Terezi down and laughs as she just lays there trying to figure out what it was she did to deserve being pushed.

Also kismesistude is just a hosed up concept in general and the real reason an abusive relationship like Slick and Snowman's can be called a "healthy" one is because they're both violent sociopathic stick figure bug people used mainly for dark humor and have very little real characterization, while Terezi and Gamzee are main characters with fully fleshed out personalities and their actions hold serious weight in the narrative. Which is probably why we haven't seen a healthy kismesistude between any of the trolls.

SexyBrianPuppet fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 10, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

frozentreasure posted:

You could argue that his abusive behaviour was because of Aranea's control, but I doubt Tumblrites are actually thinking about that.
I feel like if we go down this road, we'll slowly start to see everyone excusing Gamzee's actions as Aranea controlling him and pointing the blame at her. She doesn't seem to really do anything with him other than control him so he isn't on a rampage.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Blackheart posted:

The thing with troll relationships is that it was supposed to be stupid. It always was. Hussie had to explain it to us in detail to see if we could read that block of text with a straight face, and then he took it to the extreme with leprechaun romance. Will we have to see Squiddle romance to understand that the quadrants were always a joke and not to be emulated or taken seriously?

Things in Homestuck can be jokes and still be serious. I think the romantic quadrant system is that way. I think we do have examples of characters that had serious relationships in the other quadrants, such as Nepeta and Equuis, and even (for a while) Gamzee and Karkat and Eridan and Feferi. As for Kismesis, I guess I can't think of a healthy relationship of such portrayed in the comic. I think that elements of it are healthy, such as the rivalry between Karkat and John (or I guess between Karkat and just about anyone), which drives both parties to outdo each other.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

lotus circle posted:

I feel like if we go down this road, we'll slowly start to see everyone excusing Gamzee's actions as Aranea controlling him and pointing the blame at her. She doesn't seem to really do anything with him other than control him so he isn't on a rampage.
Well she did use Gamzee to get the ring. Also Arenea might have been using him to break down Terezi emotionally so that Terezi couldn't user her seer of mind powers to figure out her plan.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Has Aranea really been working on her plan for that long, though? I got that she had just recently come up with the plan and had only recently started manipulating Gamzee because he's easily manipulated and good at being in the right place at the right time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

senseinobu posted:

Also Arenea might have been using him to break down Terezi emotionally so that Terezi couldn't user her seer of mind powers to figure out her plan.
And this is the issue I have: if we say Aranea is behind Gamzee's behavior, it acts as a direct excuse for his behavior and his emotional abuse. Though in general I think the idea that Aranea purposefully hosed with Terezi seems ridiculous. She had nothing but good intentions when she offered to heal Terezi's eyes and Terezi, in a state of insecurity brought on by feeling inferior to Latula and Gamzee mocking her blindness, agreed to it and made a huge mistake in doing so. Terezi implied when she spoke with Karkat, when the truth came out, that the last time she used her powers were against Vriska and felt so terrible about what happened that she chose not to use them again. Aranea has no need to gently caress with Terezi's powers when Terezi has no desire to ever use them again since what happened three years ago.

Can't we just accept that the clown is a lovely rear end in a top hat in this scenario without bringing Aranea into it? All she seems to be doing with him is keeping his trap shut, there's no indication that ever makes him talk at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No way.

No loving way.

Gamzee did all that bullshit on his own. You know how I know? She would not have had the GUTS not to monologue about it until after she came back to life. NO way. Also she flat out says she didn't consider this until she learned about the ring, which was weeeeeeeeell after Gamzee was being a loving awful piece of poo poo.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Burkion posted:

No way.

No loving way.

Gamzee did all that bullshit on his own. You know how I know? She would not have had the GUTS not to monologue about it until after she came back to life. NO way. Also she flat out says she didn't consider this until she learned about the ring, which was weeeeeeeeell after Gamzee was being a loving awful piece of poo poo.

Also (unless I'm forgetting something) every time we see Gamzee on the meteor during the long cycle of intermissions, he never has the chilled out look that he had while Aranea was controlling him, which makes it way more likely that he was in control of his own actions during that time period.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Burkion posted:

No way.

No loving way.

Then again, time is fluid in the Furthest Ring - she could learn about the ring at one point and mind control Gamzee in order to get him to pressure Terezi into accepting her offer in the past. Hell, she could do that after Terezi already came to her asking for healing after she realizes Terezi changed her mind by pressure from Gamzee, pressure she was destined to cause. Time loops haven't stopped being a thing that can happen.

It's unclear if this is what happened or not at the moment. It does seem that Terezi seems to believe Aranea was in on the scheme, since she called her out after appearing to stab Gamzee, although that might just be her lashing out while overwhelmed with emotion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Burkion posted:

NO way. Also she flat out says she didn't consider this until she learned about the ring, which was weeeeeeeeell after Gamzee was being a loving awful piece of poo poo.

The flow of time is strange in the furthest ring. No reason why she couldn't have found out about the ring and then started controlling Gamzee through the entirety of the meteor journey.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

Also she flat out says she didn't consider this until she learned about the ring, which was weeeeeeeeell after Gamzee was being a loving awful piece of poo poo.

Gamzee has always been an awful piece of poo poo. :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Terezi had been an emotional wreck ever since she got on the asteroid, really. She badly regretted killing Vriska, even though it was a necessary act. Then she met Rose, and felt inferior as a Seer. Then she met Latula, and felt inferior as a Pyrope. She shuts herself away from the friends she had, then Gamzee comes along and offers her a different relationship, but only exacerbates her self-loathing. Then she went to Aranea to try to find something else to change, which only makes her feel even worse. Terezi's problem is she'd convinced herself she had problems and being unable to fix them drove her mad.

Gamzee does seem to be kind of the tipping point of it all, though. Karkat seemed to be getting through to her a little during those walkarounds, so maybe he and Dave could have brought her back to her old self if Gamzee hadn't been doing his thing. Given most troll relationships seem meant to make them more stable, there was definitely something wrong between them. Personally if I were to look for an example of a healthy kismesis I'd look more at what Terezi was like with Vriska, even if they weren't actually in that sort of relationship.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

lotus circle posted:

And this is the issue I have: if we say Aranea is behind Gamzee's behavior, it acts as a direct excuse for his behavior and his emotional abuse. Though in general I think the idea that Aranea purposefully hosed with Terezi seems ridiculous. She had nothing but good intentions when she offered to heal Terezi's eyes and Terezi, in a state of insecurity brought on by feeling inferior to Latula and Gamzee mocking her blindness, agreed to it and made a huge mistake in doing so. Terezi implied when she spoke with Karkat, when the truth came out, that the last time she used her powers were against Vriska and felt so terrible about what happened that she chose not to use them again. Aranea has no need to gently caress with Terezi's powers when Terezi has no desire to ever use them again since what happened three years ago.

Can't we just accept that the clown is a lovely rear end in a top hat in this scenario without bringing Aranea into it? All she seems to be doing with him is keeping his trap shut, there's no indication that ever makes him talk at all.
We see Aranea offering to heal Terezi's eyesight once. When Terezi turned her down that time, not only did Aranea respect that decision but commended Terezi's reason for doing so. Outside of her abandoning her plan to find or even help Calliope when she took that ring, I'm not sure why she gets the hate she does.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gamzee's a villain. It's probably a safe bet he was doing black romance wrong, because he's an antagonist and his lot in the story is to do Bad Things. This isn't incredibly hard, here. He's not some open-to-interpretation morally ambiguous character like Vriska; his entire character is Psychotic Evil Clown.

Vriska and Eridan had a bland if normal black romance as part of their backstory, recall, back before Eridan was also an antagonist. They shot at each other, made threats, and fought, but nothing on this level.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 10, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

When he was first introduced I thought he was kinda weird but generally seemed pretty nice and was pals with Tavros. :3:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gamzee is a troubled youth. Neglected by his parent and scorned by his friends, he turned in equal parts to substance abuse and spirituality to find peace in a world that seemed to hold him in contempt when it cared about him at all. Emerging from that haze to discover that his religion is a joke and so is he, he turned to outrage, resentment toward the world that made him the vile piece of clown rear end trash he all is. Heir to the grand highblood, he learned from a young age that his duty was the sadistic punishment of his inferiors (which is to say, everybody).

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Heir to the grand highblood, he learned from a young age that his duty was the sadistic punishment of his inferiors (which is to say, everybody).

Thanks for the reminder of this amazing chatlog and memo. Karkat is one of the best conversation partners for anyone. Anything with him or Dave is guaranteed gold. In retrospect, Horrorstuck was a great period- it was a ton of heavy plot stuff happening in rapid updates with lots of day-to-day suspense, mixed with some of the comic's best humor, and it still reads just as well in archives. The whole thing is just stuffed with dramatic tension and comedy. It also makes me realize how much I missed a motivated Terezi, and how little she has really done in a long time. Like, she was originally one of the most active, mysterious, and interesting trolls when the trolls were messing with the humans in like Acts 3 and 4 or whatever, and it has been, what? A year of real time during which we have barely seen or heard from her? I really hope AH has big plans for her, because so far she really hasn't had a big spotlight moment the way others did. Like Dirk had Unite/Synchronize, Jade had her dog-ascension, John has had lots of cool windy moments, and even that doomed-timeline Vriska-Jack fight was cool. Terezi is sort of like Vriska in that she has done very little of importance since the coin flip, yet has stuck around the story on the edge. Hussie is keeping her around for a reason, but what is it?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blackheart posted:

Nah, he was pretty decent until he got introduced to the Miracles video.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Words about stuff from acts previous

Yeah, this sums up how I feel about that part of the comic. poo poo was fun and entertaining, and the trolls were all talking to each other which made for great character interaction and chatlogs. Wish we could get something like this again, but it seems we are past the point of no return, and since the motif of HS is growing up/moving on, I doubt we ever will.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Thundarr posted:

Nah, he was pretty decent until he got introduced to the Miracles video.

Hey remember when Sollux died and literally Spades Slick was a more comforting friend to Karkat than Gamzee?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So I just got caught back up with this webcomic after a long break and holy poo poo have things gone off the rails. What the gently caress is this comic even about anymore.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Talorat posted:

So I just got caught back up with this webcomic after a long break and holy poo poo have things gone off the rails. What the gently caress is this comic even about anymore.

Yes it is.

Oh? You wanted an actual answer? Well, here goes:
There's an existential threat to the universe by the name of Lord English. He's generally a dick. Aranea is the only living soul to have seen him :haw:
Because of this, the main cast doesn't really care about him as much. Some may or may not still think Becspers Noirelecrow is the biggest threat out there.
Evil Fish Hitler hijacked two of the characters, sorta. But one's dead for semi-real, minus not actually being dead (note her eyes here). Fish Hitler is also generally a dick. The non-hijacked cast members want to kill her.
An evil rascally clown juggalo alien with a codpiece is also a dick but momentarily wasn't, only to be a scary dick a moment later; a phrase not commonly uttered in the context of a worksafe story.
The comic is about Three Stooges Syndrome and how awesome the Mayor is.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hremsfeld posted:

There's an existential threat to the universe by the name of Lord English. He's generally a dick. Aranea is the only living soul to have seen him :haw:

I think you mean Ms. Paint. :colbert: If not when was this?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Talorat posted:

What the gently caress is this comic even about anymore.

Everyone is a teen and it is awful.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

Talorat posted:

Kids and fun! :)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

frozentreasure posted:

Oh, and not to distract from this thrilling line of conversation, but, at long last, troll hoodies are available (and embroidered patches for the kids, like what you got in the Kickstarter rewards).

This is one of those moments where I realize just how heavy of a homestuck I am, when the first question that goes through my mind is not "should I buy one?", but "which one should I buy?" as though not buying one wasn't even a consideration.

help I can't stop throwing money at my monitor

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Talorat posted:

Shipping.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hremsfeld posted:

Evil Fish Hitler hijacked two of the characters, sorta. But one's dead for semi-real, minus not actually being dead (note her eyes here).

She IS actually dead, remember ghosts only get the blank eyes once they realize they are dead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was under the impression it was a black relationship.

Wow, racist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow, racist.

All this chat about whether or not Gamzee is a REAL <3< or an ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND reminds me that I really loving hate everything about the trolls and especially the fact that the internet as a whole somehow missed the point and started taking these egotistical emotionally stunted weirdos seriously.

Trolls are dumb. Except Karkat. Try not to think about them too much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They really are just gray people with horns and fangs. The entire romance thing was made up by kids, so of course it doesn't make any goddamn sense if you try to think about it logically, because, simply, you shouldn't have to.

Matters of the heart, when it comes to emotion, cannot be defined in such strict and weird ways. You can't put everything into a box. Even the nonsense about Kissmisstude is fine because it's basically rivals who hatefuck each other, which happens a lot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All this chat about whether or not Gamzee is a REAL <3< or an ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND reminds me that I really loving hate everything about the trolls and especially the fact that the internet as a whole somehow missed the point and started taking these egotistical emotionally stunted weirdos seriously.

Trolls are dumb. Except Karkat. Try not to think about them too much.

Quadrants weren't always terrible. But shippers and tumblers ruined it.

Shipper and tumblers, man... shippers and tumblers...

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Isn't troll romance just a clever way to simulate for the adult audience the confusion 13 year olds feel about romance? Unfortunately, the quadrants made a slight modicum of sense so people had to study it and figure it out, making it the quidditch of Homestuck.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Who What Now posted:

Quadrants weren't always terrible.

Yes they were. The entire point of them was to be terrible.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So it appears we will have to be educated about squiddle romance to understand the troll romance system is a joke. And people will still theorize about it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Olivia42 posted:

Isn't troll romance just a clever way to simulate for the adult audience the confusion 13 year olds feel about romance? Unfortunately, the quadrants made a slight modicum of sense so people had to study it and figure it out, making it the quidditch of Homestuck.

I'm still pretty sure troll romance is why Homestuck has such a huge and insane fanbase. The size of Homestuck's audience was just incremental increases over Problem Sleuth levels until trolls and troll romance came around and the community of people who are fans of things on Tumblr ate it up like prime rib. Humanoid alien bisexual aracial angsty teenagers who seem to only communicate via IM and are all Internet stereotypes and have a culture which encourages kinky hate-sex? Of course the youth of the Internet went crazy for that poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pretty sure troll romance was originally to make fun of the whole "these two characters hate each other, therefore they obviously want to gently caress each other" thing fans do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WhiffleballDude posted:

Yes they were. The entire point of them was to be terrible.

Ok yes, they were undeniably terrible. But tumblr took them, ran with them, and made them godawful.