Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you're mixing inline 6's and flat 6's, which sound quite different
And narrow angle V6es.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you're mixing inline 6's and flat 6's, which sound quite different

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And narrow angle V6es.
Correct. Some sound like the straight six in my M3. Some sound like a 1/2 a Formula One car. Some sound like a baby R32.

They all sound awesome.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The Goldwing sounds horrible - nearly as bad as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PjKUxoPxY

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the only 6 worth the extra maintenance would be the CBX. That sound :circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyGJh_3PDY

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
BMW has released an updated version of what is possibly the worlds best full-sized sport touring motorcycle. Of course being BMW they market it as a dirt bike. Silly germans:

Not to be outdone Ducati releases a motorcycle themed after someone who's been dead for 20 years and was famous for racing something other than motorcycles*. Silly Italians:

Lastly, a motorcycle designed by Germans, built in Siberia, and painted in a "Native American" paint scheme. Yes the rolled up blanket comes with the bike (a tea kettle too). Silly Russians:

*I have to admit, it's not like any of Ducati's factory race riders are worthy of a special edition street bike at the moment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

BMW has released an updated version of what is possibly the worlds best full-sized sport touring motorcycle. Of course being BMW they market it as a dirt bike. Silly germans:

Not to be outdone Ducati releases a motorcycle themed after someone who's been dead for 20 years and was famous for racing something other than motorcycles*. Silly Italians:

Lastly, a motorcycle designed by Germans, built in Siberia, and painted in a "Native American" paint scheme. Yes the rolled up blanket comes with the bike (a tea kettle too). Silly Russians:

*I have to admit, it's not like any of Ducati's factory race riders are worthy of a special edition street bike at the moment.

Gaucho rambler eh? Should come with a steely dan record :smugdog:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Well, it's more a sort of tribute to their tribute to Ayrton Senna - they made a one-off "Senna" 916 to specs they had been discussing with him before his death and sold it for charity, then made another thousand with profits going to the Senna foundation (and sneakily allowing them to homologate a geometry change for WSB racing).

I feel like this should be tagged :nws: because it's just that sexy:

(That's one of the thousand, for some reason I can't find the original CF one with a GIS)

For some reason though the Panigale Senna just isn't doing it for me - the original 916 Senna with pure CF bodywork was the most beautiful bike ever made IMO, and the "production" 916 Senna in titanium grey were almost as good. The Panigale is a damned good-looking bike too, especially in the Agusta-ripoff silver and red livery, but in "Senna" colours all it does is remind me just how loving beautiful the 916 was.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The Senna colors don't do it for me. And why gray/red? Why not Yellow with whatever he had on his helmet or something?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

KodiakRS posted:

Gauche? Oh, Rambler!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, it's more a sort of tribute to their tribute to Ayrton Senna - they made a one-off "Senna" 916 to specs they had been discussing with him before his death and sold it for charity, then made another thousand with profits going to the Senna foundation (and sneakily allowing them to homologate a geometry change for WSB racing).

I feel like this should be tagged :nws: because it's just that sexy:

(That's one of the thousand, for some reason I can't find the original CF one with a GIS)

For some reason though the Panigale Senna just isn't doing it for me - the original 916 Senna with pure CF bodywork was the most beautiful bike ever made IMO, and the "production" 916 Senna in titanium grey were almost as good. The Panigale is a damned good-looking bike too, especially in the Agusta-ripoff silver and red livery, but in "Senna" colours all it does is remind me just how loving beautiful the 916 was.

The 916 fapping is the same as jaguar e-type fapping to me. I don't get it; it's a nice looking bike but looks horribly dated to my eyes. The rear wheel is terrible, the vents and creases in the fairing are arranged basically at random, the under tank area looks terrible. It just isn't that good looking, the RC30 is a much nicer looking bike. I don't get it.

I also think the Cyclops headlights ducatis look better than the 996/916. Don't hurt me!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god you are so wrong I don't know where to start.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
916's are pretty but look a little goofy head-on. To me the most beautiful sportbikes ever are the RVF750f and VFR400. I always thought the E-Type looked like a clown shoe. The convertibles I like.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

KodiakRS posted:

I have always wanted to ride a ural around the southwest and I think this would be the perfect paint scheme for that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gweenz posted:

916's are pretty but look a little goofy head-on. To me the most beautiful sportbikes ever are the RVF750f and VFR400. I always thought the E-Type looked like a clown shoe. The convertibles I like.

I owned this:

So I'm inclined to agree.

Angryboot posted:

Oh my god you are so wrong I don't know where to start.

Seriously, look at the vents etc on the lower fairing. They are completely randomly distributed and have no unifying style or anything.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I can appreciate those Ducatis, they're very nice.
This is nicer.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Gweenz posted:

That tail is hideous, it's like the designers said " l'm not really sure how to tie the end of this bike together but I'm sure if we add more bloated plastic it will work".

I also agree with the comments about the 916, sure I lusted over it back in the day but compared to the Panigale it looks very 1990.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Aargh posted:

That tail is hideous, it's like the designers said " l'm not really sure how to tie the end of this bike together but I'm sure if we add more bloated plastic it will work".

I also agree with the comments about the 916, sure I lusted over it back in the day but compared to the Panigale it looks very 1990.

Yeah I have a thing for the 916 because it was the best looking bike out when I first started riding and Ducati was such a rare make. I don't get why some 20 year old would lust after it now. Also those service intervals LOLOLO.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The Senna colors don't do it for me. And why gray/red? Why not Yellow with whatever he had on his helmet or something?
I believe grey and red are the colors Senna himself personally chose when Ducati started the Senna edition models. I feel like I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I'm probably wrong.

HNasty posted:

Yeah I have a thing for the 916 because it was the best looking bike out when I first started riding and Ducati was such a rare make. I don't get why some 20 year old would lust after it now. Also those service intervals LOLOLO.
As a 20 something, I'm offended :colbert: I may be a little biased though, my dad owned a 916 around the time I was 6 or 7 and it was my first experience with two wheels. The 916 may be plagued with electrical issues and every other weird Ducati quirk but god drat you best believe I'll be picking one up when I graduate. The 916 is pure sex, plain and simple.

I'd like to think my dad would still own his 916 had it not been stolen out of a police station parking lot.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The 999 was the first bike I took notice of when I first started taking interest in bikes when I was a kid, so I love the cyclops headlights.

Anyways, have a "fookin' quick" 700cc twin-rotor bike. Power delivery looks nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQv60OZuP8

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Adventure bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

The 999 was the first bike I took notice of when I first started taking interest in bikes when I was a kid, so I love the cyclops headlights.

Anyways, have a "fookin' quick" 700cc twin-rotor bike. Power delivery looks nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQv60OZuP8

A million times yes! aggressive port twin rotors sound sublime.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Sweet shock linkage on that bike...

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
How do you kill an RC8?

Ah-ha! Trick question - it will do so out of it's own volition.

This drivesdrove the oil pump. All the bits fell out the the way while the engine kept on running.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DefaultPeanut posted:

How do you kill an RC8?

Ah-ha! Trick question - it will do so out of it's own volition.

This drivesdrove the oil pump. All the bits fell out the the way while the engine kept on running.

This is the first bit of tarnish on my golden dream of owning an RC8. Please tell me this isn't common :ohdear:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

This is the first bit of tarnish on my golden dream of owning an RC8. Please tell me this isn't common :ohdear:

The LC8 engines seem to be a bit more robust that your average KTM engine. Although, my bike carnage folder does have a higher number of KTMs in it than others. I forgot to take a picture of the metal shavings that came from the fuel pump in a brand new, out of the crate 450ECX-F when installing an oversized tank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I owned this:

So I'm inclined to agree.

Seriously, look at the vents etc on the lower fairing. They are completely randomly distributed and have no unifying style or anything.

That's because they're all there for a reason (top one draws air through the radiator, the one below it directs cool air to the rear shock, the NACA duct draws air through the oil cooler, the bottom front one I can't remember what it does). Admittedly the vents on the tail unit are just for show. That's the real beauty of the 916 (and everything Tamburini touched) - he did things because they made the bike better but somehow serendipitously also made it more beautiful. Of course that also meant every once in a while he ended up with a really ugly thing like the Tesi:

Mostly though, he erred on the side of:

Linedance posted:

I can appreciate those Ducatis, they're very nice.
This is nicer.

:gizz:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

DefaultPeanut posted:

The LC8 engines seem to be a bit more robust that your average KTM engine. Although, my bike carnage folder does have a higher number of KTMs in it than others. I forgot to take a picture of the metal shavings that came from the fuel pump in a brand new, out of the crate 450ECX-F when installing an oversized tank.

The bikes ending in 90 all seem to be pretty solid, the one that really put the dent in KTM's reputation when it comes to road bikes was the LC4 with the black engine, which had clutch bearings made of cheese and rocks. The shaking-off parts thing isn't unique to KTM, it's a problem of all big thumpers, especially those without balance shafts (the 690 has one). They have always seemed very sensitive to proper oiling, common KTM wisdom locally is to check your oil level obsessively, change earlier than the recommended interval and never ever run them low.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HkG6OSo3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HkG6OSo3E

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What a twist.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

thylacine posted:

Adventure bike.

Rad.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

2014 honda dakar bike

:whatup:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whoah, she must be like 4'nothing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

Whoah, she must be like 4'nothing.

Little old mama jis tend to be on the short side. Also, they don't give a gently caress.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax

Not sure if this should be in the 'Stupid Bike poo poo' thread but anyway here's another one from the QLD Police. :cop:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Lurch posted:

Not sure if this should be in the 'Stupid Bike poo poo' thread but anyway here's another one from the QLD Police. :cop:

loving cops trying to stop a poor man from eatin.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Back when I only had a bike without tailbags, I rode home from the supermarket with groceries hanging from the handlebars more than once. I lived essentially across the street from the store, mind.

E: Also carried many a lighter lunch crammed down my jacket. Don't do this with a pint of ice cream though, you'll look outright odd

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 11, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

To quote myself on that picture actually;

"Lets face it, carrying groceries like that is kind of dumb. Put them in a backpack/saddlebag and if you need to, put it down the front of your jacket.

And get a license."

I mean, seriously, the I only live about 3km from the shops around here and there's no way I'd throw my groceries on the bike like that, how the bags don't break is beyond me. Not like they're strong or anything.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Only yesterday I cargo-ed the groceries to the back of the bike, meaning the girlfriend had to share my seat. She kept headbutting the back of my helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sometimes there is cool poo poo going on at Tail of the Dragon...but it's mostly stupid poo poo.