Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good gawd, y'all!
And I thought someone had thrown a fit on the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Just once, I'd like to hear one of these stories passed around with a white sounding name like P@rick or Am&a.

I used to work in a government department dealing with support for middle to low income families in New Zealand. I once processed an application for T-Gen and J'd. Spoke to their mother, they're pronounced Teagan and Jade. I have no idea what flavour they were but the last name was pretty Anglo. That's the closest I got.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In my highschool orchestra we had a Darwin Chen and an Angus Chen (no relation). I mean, those are actual names, but I can't help but laugh at them. They were both great players, as I recall.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Shithouse Dave posted:

I used to work in a government department dealing with support for middle to low income families in New Zealand. I once processed an application for T-Gen and J'd. Spoke to their mother, they're pronounced Teagan and Jade. I have no idea what flavour they were but the last name was pretty Anglo. That's the closest I got.

I know someone that changed their name from Kayleigh to K-lee, I mean, I understand that people misspell their name to show individuality (eg Amy/Ami/Amee/Aimy/Aimee/Aymi) but to change your legal name to K-lee just seems daft to me. Also I know a lot of databases aren't able to accommodate punctuation, so she's probably referred to as Klee a lot.

qerina
May 5, 2007
I had a client last year named Benhur Rodriguez.
My brother and his family attend church with Major Flash. That's not his rank.
My niece and nephew have a classmate named Atticus, a little white boy whose parents must be fans of To Kill A Mockingbird. There is also a pair of twins named London and Paris. The boy is Paris, which is accurate as Paris is historically male, but must confuse a lot of parents.
The daughters of a friend of my mother have given their collective children pretty terrible names, the only one I remember is a boy named Pharoah. His mother is white as can be and the father is first generation Canadian, his parents were Italian. I'm going to find out what those names are.
I used to work with a Stormy. Her mother is Starla and her children are Summer, Skylar and Stetsyn.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Words-as-names are kind of annoying, but this one's pretty common; I'm not sure why qerina posted it...

...OK, this one's more obnoxiously trendy, and alliterative sibling names are grating, but it's still pretty tame compared to the rest of this thread. I wonder where she's going with this...

qerina posted:

and Stetsyn.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Oct 10, 2013

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

You just know there is a little Fedora Jones out there somewhere.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

:clonk: ?

The alternative spelling for that one really just knocks it out of the park. "Stetson" just wasn't "out there" enough.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

My cousin's 4 year old son is named kyler, When I saw it on facebook I just thought that he messed up on his iphone and meant skyler or tyler but nope, kyler.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
When I adopted my cat, he was named Tyler (re-named Ivan almost immediately), and he was there with his brother, named Kyler. That's the only time I've encountered the name, and I figured the SPCA just made it up to be cutesy.

These parents name their kids the way most people name their pets.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Kyla is a not-uncommon name. I assume Kyler is a masculine (or just alternate) version.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Istari posted:

Kyla is a not-uncommon name. I assume Kyler is a masculine (or just alternate) version.

I would think the masculine form would just be, you know, Kyle.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
I know someone miangel (My Angel)
Such a weird name..

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 2, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Popular names seem to go in cycles. There were three girls called Lisa in my college chemistry class of about 30, it was literally 10% Lisas.
I noticed in the late 90s that there seemed to be an excessive number of boys named Caleb or Mitchell.

Anyone notice an excess of recurring names lately?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:stetstare:

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Lots of -aydens/aidens. Everying from Aiden to Zayden.
What's especially infuriating about this one is that you never see a regular, no-bullshit Aidan. The fad isn't a name, it's ways of arbitrarily loving a name up.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Oct 10, 2013

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

^^^Ohh, yours is better. Maybe I'll name my kid that.

I worked at a portrait studio, and it seemed like every day we had a little girl named Madison or Maddie (I say "seemed" but this was definitely true around the holidays. The more customers coming in, the percentage of Madison/Maddies stayed the same, but you saw more of them). Lots of Olivias and Evas/Avas also. For boys, a lot of Nicholas and Vincent, but I think that's partly due to me living in a region with a lot of Italian ancestry/heritage.

And yeah, the -adens for little boys. Literally every consonant or consonant pair of the alphabet slapped in front of an -aden. Except fortunately I never did meet a Maiden.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Whenever Hawaii's papers would run a piece on the child of the singer Don Ho, they would always name her in the headline as HO DAUGHTER.

Say Nothing posted:

Um... typo?

Oh yeah, people were fuckin' mad about this last month. I would be too, but hosed if my vocabulary is big enough to translate that for you. But I'm faaaaaairly certain it has to do with her family's home, uh, district I guess you could call it.

Now imagine that, except multiplied by four hundred, and then you have what my high school graduation sounded like :shepicide:

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Oct 10, 2013

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Say Nothing posted:

Popular names seem to go in cycles. There were three girls called Lisa in my college chemistry class of about 30, it was literally 10% Lisas.
I noticed in the late 90s that there seemed to be an excessive number of boys named Caleb or Mitchell.

In high school, there was an absurd number of kids called Jess/Jesse/Jessie/Jessica. Same for Ben/Benjamin, and Matt/Matthew.
There were 3 girls called Ruby in my kindergarten class of 18 kids.
I know 3 guys, all aged 24-25, called Odin.
Ten years ago, of the 7 girls in my cousin's preschool class, 2 were called Tigerlily.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

I'm a sportswriter in a place dominated by prep sports. I mainly cover one team and sitting up in pressboxes, you get to know each other a little bit. So, it's become a joke with several of us as to how many football players are named Malik this year. My main team has three. They played a Malik last week and the week before. I know for sure in two weeks, there will be another Malik. Several of the state's prep stars this year are named Malik or a variation thereof. I have actually have had a coach tell me this year, "the Maliks are good."

Sure, football lends itself to a lot of duplicate names, but this is the first swarm of Maliks.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I feel like when I was a kid, every girl was named Jennifer, Sarah, or Elizabeth, and all the boys were Brian, Jason, and Michael.

Now I feel like all the girls are MaKyN'ZEE or Mad!sunn, and all the boys are Flayden, Quaiden, Zpleyden, or some other abomination.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

bringmyfishback posted:

I feel like when I was a kid, every girl was named Jennifer, Sarah, or Elizabeth, and all the boys were Brian, Jason, and Michael.

Now I feel like all the girls are MaKyN'ZEE or Mad!sunn, and all the boys are Flayden, Quaiden, Zpleyden, or some other abomination.
I can't help but pronounce Mad!sunn with a click consonant, and weirdly enough it actually sounds alright. Worse than plain Madison, but still alright.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
My nephew is Aidan. Normal Aidan, nothing fancy.

I went to primary school with a girl called Rainy Webber. I don't know if her mum suddenly realised one day what she had done, but the mum started referring to her as Rainy-Lee every time she was mentioned. The kid preferred Rainy.

I've come to believe that Ethan is a bad prognostic indicator for a child. I work in intensive care, and we had a spate of Ethans of varying ages for a while. Not one of them went well.
There are a few others I've seen that were a bit special: Dekkard, Daiquiri (I can't remember the spelling for this one, it was not enough to call the kid Daiquiri but it was a unique spelling too), and Kevin. Kevin's not a bad name in and of itself, but a 4 month old does not suit having an older man's name like that.

I went to high school with a Mayuran, which sounds just great in an Australian accent (my urine). In high school I thought the names Avalon and Ambrosia were a bit weird, but they're nothing nowadays.

My own unborn kid is going to be called William. The OB complimented us on our normal name choice and made a muttered comment about "some of the names I hear in this place..."

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

One of my other cousin's daughters is named logan, boy name on a little girl...and y'know, wolverine.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renzuko posted:

One of my other cousin's daughters is named logan, boy name on a little girl...and y'know, wolverine.

I knew at least three girls growing up named Logan. It's not all that unusual.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Say Nothing posted:

Working in a daycare, I know a thousand toddlers called Alfie and Isabella. Evie is crazy popular too.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
As a Blade Runner lover, this fills me with rage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

razorrozar posted:

I knew at least three girls growing up named Logan. It's not all that unusual.

I went to school with a girl named Michael. Always threw folks for a loop when she would introduce herself.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lotish posted:

I went to school with a girl named Michael.
Are you sure that's what it was?

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

eating only apples posted:

Working in a daycare, I know a thousand toddlers called Alfie and Isabella. Evie is crazy popular too.
It's funny how old people names are coming back. I've met 3 year olds named Edna and Agnes.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

a million birds posted:

It's funny how old people names are coming back. I've met 3 year olds named Edna and Agnes.

I really want to give my future kids old people names :shobon: They solve the problem of wanting a somewhat unique name while still keeping it familiar to the populace.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Lotish posted:

I went to school with a girl named Michael. Always threw folks for a loop when she would introduce herself.

You just made me remember that I went to college with a girl named Michael (and yes, I'm certain it was spelled that way). Would have wound up dating her, too, if not for some fraternity/sorority drama.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, that was how she spelled it.

Thanks for link, though. I love learning.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

a million birds posted:

Thank God, because they'll keep a really young Warren I know company.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
As a very young child, I went to church with a kid called Boogie. That was, as far as anyone knew, his given name.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I know a woman who named her son Aidan, or possibly Aiden. And as for common names, I knew a lot of Kates (And variations on it) in high school. Hell my mom told me that if I'd been a girl I would have been named Katherine. Instead I got saddled with Eamon, which is bizarrely difficult for a lot of people to pronounce, especially if they read it before I can tell them how to say it. And no, it's not made up.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Beardless posted:

I know a woman who named her son Aidan, or possibly Aiden. And as for common names, I knew a lot of Kates (And variations on it) in high school. Hell my mom told me that if I'd been a girl I would have been named Katherine. Instead I got saddled with Eamon, which is bizarrely difficult for a lot of people to pronounce, especially if they read it before I can tell them how to say it. And no, it's not made up.

You have the opportunity to educate them on their 20th century Irish history.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beardless posted:

I know a girl called Aidan. I also knew two boys called Aidan (Aiden ?) in primary school; they were both arseholes.

I went to school with a boy called Eamon. It always confused me how many people pronounced it Ee-mon, rather than Ay-mon, no matter how many times he corrected them, despite the fact that it isn't that uncommon.

Yesterday, I was stuck in a queue behind a woman with a newborn. Someone else in the queue asked about his name and was told it was 'Leo'. I caught a glimpse of his birth certificate. Leo is short for Leodegrance.
Are Arthurian babynames a popular thing now ? Should I be anticipating seeing a bunch of Excaliburs and Gawaines popping up in the next few years ?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
At dinner the other night, my little sister noticed a friend request from Boogie Shuler. We went to church with him 15 years ago and as far as anyone I know can tell, Boogie is actually his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Istari posted:

Are Arthurian babynames a popular thing now ? Should I be anticipating seeing a bunch of Excaliburs and Gawaines popping up in the next few years ?
poo poo, I had a Gawain in my trombone section in high school. A little archaic, but honestly that that weird.