Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jun 23, 2010

Is OmniFocus really worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

online posted:

Only if you're nuts about GTD.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

online posted:

No, get Clear instead.

Re: Downcast - I noticed it had an app update with "Bug fixes". For what it's worth, it seems to play nice with Control Center so far.

Edit: Scratch that, Downcast just crashed and CC is broken again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 10, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Don Tacorleone posted:

No, get Clear instead.

Re: Downcast - I noticed it had an app update with "Bug fixes". For what it's worth, it seems to play nice with Control Center so far.

Edit: Scratch that, Downcast just crashed and CC is broken again.

Pocket Casts has gotten a serious overhaul since iOS 7 drops. It seems like the best podcast app so far.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

online posted:

Try Wunderlist first. If you find that Wunderlist is too much, stick with Reminders/Clear. If you feel like you need more, go to OmniFocus.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does anyone here use CarTunes and have problems with it? I've had it crash a bunch of times today while skipping songs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Porkchop Express posted:

I have that problem with downcast as well. When I go in to the app it shows the splash screen and goes to my list of podcasts, not the episode I had paused.

It does seen to randomly start playing again though from the control center.
Downcast has gotten really poor with iOS 7, and somehow the playing screen is even more out of place with the rest of the app. Very close to switching to a different podcatcher.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Any IFTTT recipe recommendations? I've got a couple, for e.g. weather and evernote, but the others listed aren't that useful for me.

Also, I bought Sets & Reps for the gym and it's really good. Simple and without all that social media/levelling up stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on an app to track car maintenance? I realized I never know when I last had XX repair or maintenance done, and that would be a really simple way to track it.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Duckman2008 posted:

Any recommendations on an app to track car maintenance? I realized I never know when I last had XX repair or maintenance done, and that would be a really simple way to track it.

GasCubby will let you do that in addition to tracking your fill ups / mpg. Been using it for a few years now and always enter my gas and forget about my tune ups but I think it works well for both, I just need to use it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Are there any fun, small games a la Letterpress? I just want something where I can make a move, set my phone down, and then pick it up later to make another etc etc.

Do you want something where you are playing with others? Because I'm a big fan of the Ticket to Ride Pocket series.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

noirstronaut posted:

Pocket Casts has gotten a serious overhaul since iOS 7 drops. It seems like the best podcast app so far.

I would agree with this. Pocket Casts is a great app. Worth checking out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Actual update notes for Downcast:

quote:

v2.8.9 - October 9, 2013
*UI updates and fixes for iOS 7
*If episodes are detected from a single podcast during feed refreshing, the podcast’s name is included in the new episodes notification
*Improved background app refresh
>Episodes can be downloaded during background app refresh
>Feeds refreshing now obeys the scheduled automatic refresh interval setting
*Improved responsiveness of the volume slider on iPad
*Updated feed refresh and download sound effects so they will respect the iOS "Do Not Disturb" setting
*Fix for posting to Evernote w/o a tag

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

GasCubby will let you do that in addition to tracking your fill ups / mpg. Been using it for a few years now and always enter my gas and forget about my tune ups but I think it works well for both, I just need to use it.

Seconding Gas Cubby. Been using it for a year, it's just great. It will allow you to sperg about every single detail of your car if you want - gas refills you can put odometer distance to calculate gas mileage, and a bunch of other info I've never bothered with, but the basic poo poo's there and it's useful, and you can track multiple cars too. Highly recommend it. Oh, and it has a free version (or used to, haven't checked since I bought it) in case you want to try it first (with ads).

If you want to get really freaky I guess you could use some sort of database handler like Bento or HandBase, but Gas Cubby's great for its purpose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only auto manufacturers would wake up and let us export the information our cars record. :argh:

Mine for example stores a year's worth of mpg averages and even has me enter the cost of gas when it detects I put gas in the tank. Unfortunately doing anything with this data is loving impossible.. if I could press a button and have my phone suction it off that would be totally rad.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Lady Gaza posted:

Any IFTTT recipe recommendations? I've got a couple, for e.g. weather and evernote, but the others listed aren't that useful for me.

Also, I bought Sets & Reps for the gym and it's really good. Simple and without all that social media/levelling up stuff.

Create your own. I use it to run Twitter marketing for some stories and switch recipes on and off as need be.

If you are just using the recommendations you are just scratching the surface of the app.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

NOTinuyasha posted:

Anyone have a copy of the <4.0 NYTimes app ipa or know where I can maybe get it? I accidentally deleted my copy and the app store download is iOS 7 only, which I can't use. Which is really lovely because I'm a paying subscriber.

Pretty sure ipa files are locked with account-specific DRM, even for free apps. Do you have a copy on any of your iTunes?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

keevo posted:

Does anyone here use CarTunes and have problems with it? I've had it crash a bunch of times today while skipping songs.

I haven't had any issues with it since adopting it as my main music app when they made all the terrible changes to the official one with iOS7.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

noirstronaut posted:

Are there any fun, small games a la Letterpress? I just want something where I can make a move, set my phone down, and then pick it up later to make another etc etc.

Drop 7, although old, is pretty good. It's not multiplayer like Letterpress but you can dip in and out of a game no bother. Here's a wee article about it.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Tenterhooks posted:

Drop 7, although old, is pretty good. It's not multiplayer like Letterpress but you can dip in and out of a game no bother. Here's a wee article about it.

Unfortunately it doesn't support the iPhone 5 and above's taller screen and never will, because Zynga acquired the devs and promptly ceased supporting it. It is very very good though, despite it involving giving Zynga money.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
What's the best way to go for offline gps nowadays? Most of the major companies have terrible ratings.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recipe manager App? Just something that I can sort "my" recipes with, not a generic recipe app like How To Cook Everything.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recipe manager App? Just something that I can sort "my" recipes with, not a generic recipe app like How To Cook Everything.

I like Evernote Food

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Paprika is good. Also has Mac and Android versions.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thegreatcodfish posted:

Paprika is good. Also has Mac and Android versions.

Can you add your own recipes from scratch on it? That's my issue right now is that most let you add them from websites or cookbooks or some poo poo, but not your own.

I have very specific ways I make certain breads and sauces and they aren't on generic recipe lists or websites.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Paprika lets you add manually and can automatically parse a bunch of recipe sites, and will let you manually parse recipes from a web site on the iPad version, it's pretty great.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can you add your own recipes from scratch on it? That's my issue right now is that most let you add them from websites or cookbooks or some poo poo, but not your own.

I have very specific ways I make certain breads and sauces and they aren't on generic recipe lists or websites.

It can do both.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nask26 posted:

What's the best way to go for offline gps nowadays? Most of the major companies have terrible ratings.
I wonder why they would be terrible, other than being expensive and charging for map updates, which the hardware ones have always been.

I think Navigon used to be the most popular, and if you don't need the whole US, you can download just one half for less money.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I hike with MotionX GPS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME offline GPS apps are poo poo because they try too hard to copy the UI of an old-timey handheld GPS. They are very slow and clunky compared to Google or Apple maps where you can search for just about anything and have directions in a click or two. But I haven't used them in ages so maybe they are better now.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Nask26 posted:

I've been happy with City Maps2Go.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use Basil and love it, but I've heard good things about Paprika as well.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

foobar posted:

I've been happy with City Maps2Go.

I love this app. I've used it in a number of European and Middle Eastern cities and it's always came through. Great wiki information also

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I can happily confirm Navigon is still very much poo poo compared to any online GPS app, including Apple Maps

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I can happily confirm Navigon is still very much poo poo compared to any online GPS app, including Apple Maps

What's wrong with it? I've never really had problems with it (in the Seattle and Chicagoland areas).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Navigon has always ruled for me and I actually still use it on trips.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Strong workout app is showing up as free for me. It's been mentioned quite a bit lately.

Fcdts26 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 12, 2013

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Is there any way to show a consolidated list of reminders triggered in the Reminder app? Right now I have three reminders due on three different reminder lists, so when I open the app to see what's due, I have to open each list individually to find the reminder that's been triggered. The old app would show all the triggered reminders in one list.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Close all the reminder cards and tap the little clock symbol, it orders the reminders by "Scheduled" date across all reminder lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Close all the reminder cards and tap the little clock symbol, it orders the reminders by "Scheduled" date across all reminder lists.
And that little clock button might be hidden, you gotta drag the cards down to reveal it (along with search).

I'm not a big fan the Reminders UI, the card stack feels clunky and out of place in iOS 7.

• Locked thread