Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If there's all this extra poo poo to do, it had better start appearing AFTER the first two months. That or the first two months need to be slowed down a lot. There isn't any extra room for more stuff there; it'll be impossible to get through it on higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Demiurge4 posted:

It's frustrating when the people showing off a game expansion seem to have no experience with the game. It also occurred to me that a lot of lovely AI is being pawned off as "oh yeah Exalt are fanatics, they'll prioritise the encoder", when in reality those Exalt goons are rushing to the next objective and ending their turns flanked because the tactical AI is just poor.

Looks like he had enough experience with the game to know how to show off every aspect of that mission in the 20 minutes or so that he had available. These videos do not exist to showcase anything except the bad guys, he even explicitly said they didn't put MECs in there for that reason.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

S.J. posted:

Looks like he had enough experience with the game to know how to show off every aspect of that mission in the 20 minutes or so that he had available. These videos do not exist to showcase anything except the bad guys, he even explicitly said they didn't put MECs in there for that reason.

Which is why it is idiotically goony to sit there yelling at your screen about the player's tactical errors. I mean, come on, Mr Dog was disgusted that these mistakes meant the player wasn't going to be able to "put in a good showing". Not. The. Point. Did you see the bad guys do a bunch of stuff? Yeah? Then calm the gently caress down, Mr Dog.

agauntpanda
Jul 23, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

The Alien AI doesn't have a capture the flag mechanic, it is entirely devoted to killing the player. Exalt having specific goals presents challenges that I'm sure are hard to overcome because AI is always hard. It was just that, when I heard the developer wave away a clear tactical blunder by the AI as them being fanatics, I felt he wasn't being truthful.

Hi all! I think this is my 2nd post on SA, so go easy on me.

The EXALT AI was pretty tough to get right. It was hard to get them to feel like they were pursuing the objective hard if they were also prioritizing cover the same way enemies usually do. So we made the decision to designate some of them to disregard cover if necessary in order to get to the objectives. They still want to be in cover, but they want the objective more. They can also afford this, since they have an advantage in numbers (and in attitude, as the "fanatic" exchange indicated). Quantity has a quality all its own, as a certain dictator once said.

Sometimes EXALT reinforcements will end up flanked when they enter the map. This is because we decided it would be unfair to the player for reinforcing enemies to be aware of player positions. We would rather have enemies that look a little dumb or unaware than let them "cheat" in that particular way, just like sometimes your guys will make a fast move to get somewhere and end up in a bad position because you couldn't see the aliens nearby. Clever players will start to see maps a little differently as they prepare for incoming reinforcements, as opposed to sweep-and-kill tactics appropriate to the base game.

Also, I like reading SA, but I can't post regularly. If someone says something and I don't chime in, and then forum-goers start assuming I have nothing to say because I don't post a reply, then I'll have to stop reading SA (and forums generally). Which would suck. But this specific issue is something that's unlikely to come up in interviews, so I wanted to say something about it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

agauntpanda posted:

The EXALT AI was pretty tough to get right. It was hard to get them to feel like they were pursuing the objective hard if they were also prioritizing cover the same way enemies usually do. So we made the decision to designate some of them to disregard cover if necessary in order to get to the objectives. They still want to be in cover, but they want the objective more. They can also afford this, since they have an advantage in numbers (and in attitude, as the "fanatic" exchange indicated). Quantity has a quality all its own, as a certain dictator once said.

Sometimes EXALT reinforcements will end up flanked when they enter the map. This is because we decided it would be unfair to the player for reinforcing enemies to be aware of player positions. We would rather have enemies that look a little dumb or unaware than let them "cheat" in that particular way, just like sometimes your guys will make a fast move to get somewhere and end up in a bad position because you couldn't see the aliens nearby. Clever players will start to see maps a little differently as they prepare for incoming reinforcements, as opposed to sweep-and-kill tactics appropriate to the base game.

Also, I like reading SA, but I can't post regularly. If someone says something and I don't chime in, and then forum-goers start assuming I have nothing to say because I don't post a reply, then I'll have to stop reading SA (and forums generally). Which would suck. But this specific issue is something that's unlikely to come up in interviews, so I wanted to say something about it.

Thanks for posting!

Are EXALT an offshoot of the 60s XCOM?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

agauntpanda posted:

Thanks for the info man, that makes sense. About what month do Exalt start showing up in Classic/Imp playthroughs? Month 2-3?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

Is there a video of somebody who has actually played this game before playing EW?

Yeah, there is, it's the video you were just complaining about. Played by a Firaxis employee who is working on the game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah seriously.

Dude begins a mission, moves a Heavy first (??) though thankfully into hard cover, runs into a pod of three EXALT who immediately flank her, then he decides "hurr let's overwatch"

Literally said "what the gently caress are you doing!?" out loud.

Like, if they start out by loving up the existing game mechanics that badly then I doubt they're going to put in a good showing for the rest of the mission.

Is there a video of somebody who has actually played this game before playing EW? because this is just painful. At least when the developers demoed it in PAX they were deliberately making bonehead moves and joking about it in order to make things more interesting.

Only 5% of the playerbase have finished the game on Classic. Most people don't play like us, people posting on forums about the game are probably the only people who actually use the auto-win tactics we take for granted.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/XCOMEnemyUnknown/achievements/

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
So aside from new stuff, do we have any idea if they're doing any other balance changes?

I'm really hoping for a sexy Civ5 style rebalancing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

oswald ownenstein posted:

So aside from new stuff, do we have any idea if they're doing any other balance changes?

I'm really hoping for a sexy Civ5 style rebalancing.

End game enemies are going to be significantly stronger. The only one I remember them mentioning in particular are sectopods.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Haven't they also hinted at re-balancing certain perks? I know Deep Pockets was moved to a Foundry project that applies to everyone, and I swear I read something about them wanting to make certain perks more useful to compete with "easy" choices like Squadsight. Can't remember the specifics, though, so it might've been a fever-dream.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Generic American posted:

Haven't they also hinted at re-balancing certain perks? I know Deep Pockets was moved to a Foundry project that applies to everyone, and I swear I read something about them wanting to make certain perks more useful to compete with "easy" choices like Squadsight. Can't remember the specifics, though, so it might've been a fever-dream.

No, they did do that. They reduced Snap Shot's aim penalty to -10, made Squad Sight shots unable to crit unless you also used Headshot, among other things.

Not to mention there's supposed to be a Second Wave mod that randomizes skill trees past the first promotion. I wonder if it just changes the order or allows cross class skills. Rapid Fire heavies, anyone? :getin:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Generic American posted:

Oh! Yeah.
-Snipers can no longer critically strike when firing at Squadsight ranges.
-Snap shot's penalty is reduced by half or something.
-Deep pockets now grants you double uses on an item (so for example a support can carry 2 slots of 2 grenades if they have the 2 item-slot foundry project researched)
-Supports' covering fire ability is now called Hamedo and activates before the enemy fires.
-Assaults can move-shoot-move now when using Run & Gun, can't remember if it's a new perk or just an addition to their base class ability.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
A lot of no-brainer choices are being looked at, so for example Snapshot is having the aim penalty reduced to -10 and Squadsight shots can't crit unless Headshot is being used. Assaults are having a perk that lets them fire as a free action if they move within 4 tiles of an enemy, I can't recall where that's being put on the tree. I assume heavies will have HEAT ammo versus double-overwatch looked at but I haven't read anything about it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
They could also make the Ghost suit only have 2 charges, and +10 defence. Since most people would still wear that over Titan, it shows just how unbalanced it currently is

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Count Uvula posted:

Oh! Yeah.
-Snipers can no longer critically strike when firing at Squadsight ranges.

That is super duper lame and I will totally be modding that back in if I can.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I haven't seen anything, but do we have any idea if they're going to make the ordinary weapons progression less linear and boring?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Jeez, you post an ill-considered rant and one of the developers ends up reading it :( I feel stupid now.

e: Particularly since I liked XCOM:EU enough to dump a good 200 hours into it. You're right though, things do end up running off a script after a while, the MELD time pressure should at least force a few more risks, and hopefully it won't be as extreme as the second Slingshot mission.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 10, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

-Supports' covering fire ability is now called Hamedo and activates before the enemy fires.

Someone on that team loves FFT as much as I do :allears:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

dud root posted:

They could also make the Ghost suit only have 2 charges, and +10 defence. Since most people would still wear that over Titan, it shows just how unbalanced it currently is

I was thinking about this, how Ghost is better than Titan for almost every purpose and whether something could or should be done about it. It would be interesting if you could upgrade your armors, either through a late-game Foundry project or, better yet, a mod slot on the armor itself (insert a +move or +HP mod) so that you could take your pick of say, Titan, Archangel or Ghost depending on the situation at hand. It's not a huge issue really but I love the look of all three late-game armors (with the helmet equipped) so I'm all for more features that let me distinguish my pretty soldiers on the battlefield.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

S.J. posted:

Someone on that team loves FFT as much as I do :allears:

Yeah, FFT is the first thing I thought of when reading that :)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm wondering if the "no XCOM/EXALT/Aliens battle royale" decision is due to gameplay constraints or has something to do with the story. EXALT and XCOM fighting to loot a downed UFO would make for a great mission.

e: Speaking of running off a script: I know they're still non-committal about an SDK, but even just map-making tools for XCOM would be really rad. User-made maps would extend replayability massively, maybe even moreso than procedurally-generated maps did for the original. I'd still be playing if I wasn't sick to death of that goddamn rainy street level. You know the one.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 10, 2013

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Vengarr posted:

I'm wondering if the "no XCOM/EXALT/Aliens battle royale" decision is due to gameplay constraints or has something to do with the story. EXALT and XCOM fighting to loot a downed UFO would make for a great mission.

That would be neat, but probably has even more AI issues to deal with.

chami posted:

No, they did do that. They reduced Snap Shot's aim penalty to -10, made Squad Sight shots unable to crit unless you also used Headshot, among other things.

Not to mention there's supposed to be a Second Wave mod that randomizes skill trees past the first promotion. I wonder if it just changes the order or allows cross class skills. Rapid Fire heavies, anyone? :getin:

IIRC, it does allow cross-class skills, except for skills that require access to specific equipment. (i.e. can't get shredder rocket on a dude with no launcher) It also doesn't apply to the first skill, so snipers will always have headshot and assaults run and gun, etc.

Heavies have terrible aim already, I don't expect rapid fire would be that useful.

"Hamedo" would be awesome on a squadsight sniper, but sadly those are both at the same rank. Rapid Fire + Double Tap, on the other hand...

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I would so much rather see squadsight just become baseline and the perks be adjusted from there. It's really pivotal for the class and even snapshot isn't that great when you're doing it from the same sight-limited range that every other class shoots from.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Deuce posted:

That would be neat, but probably has even more AI issues to deal with.

IIRC, it does allow cross-class skills, except for skills that require access to specific equipment. (i.e. can't get shredder rocket on a dude with no launcher) It also doesn't apply to the first skill, so snipers will always have headshot and assaults run and gun, etc.

Heavies have terrible aim already, I don't expect rapid fire would be that useful.

"Hamedo" would be awesome on a squadsight sniper, but sadly those are both at the same rank. Rapid Fire + Double Tap, on the other hand...

I'm just gonna keep rolling until I get a Bulletswarm Rapid Fire heavy. :gibs:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Geight posted:

I'm just gonna keep rolling until I get a Bulletswarm Rapid Fire Squad Sight Low Profile heavy.

Welcome to Earth.:unsmigghh:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Vengarr posted:

I'm wondering if the "no XCOM/EXALT/Aliens battle royale" decision is due to gameplay constraints or has something to do with the story.

The AI would have to actually work properly and not just teleport enemies around until you see them (and sometimes after if you're cloaked) in order for that to be viable.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Is their a list of whats new in EW?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Theparker posted:

Is their a list of whats new in EW?

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

S.J. posted:

Thanks for the info man, that makes sense. About what month do Exalt start showing up in Classic/Imp playthroughs? Month 2-3?
The devs mentioned in one of the videos that Exalt make themselves known in May, so month 3. On easier difficulties, they show up late in the month. On harder difficulties, they can show up any time in the month...

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah I'm also a little worried that debuffing squadsight while slightly buffing snapshot just leaves everything a bit unsatisfactory. Maybe it's the fact my last run was on impossible but even a -10 penalty would make a lot of shots not worth it. Then without sniper crits I'd think that's going to leave a lot more wounded but very much alive aliens on the battlefield.

If squadsight was left as is, but the aim penalty on snapshot was removed entirely that'd make a better choice I feel. With the new emphasis on rush tactics (and those invisible aliens) then you'd be happier to have a snapshot sniper that moves up with everyone else.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm okay with squadsight getting nerfed a bit, regardless of what other changes get made. It's simply too good both in terms of raw number output and opportunity cost.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
This is a really minor thing but I hope you get to use the Exalt gun models as alternatives for your ballistic and laser weapons cause they look pretty cool.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Insert name here posted:

This is a really minor thing but I hope you get to use the Exalt gun models as alternatives for your ballistic and laser weapons cause they look pretty cool.

One of the recent articles mentioned that you can capture them :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Veotax posted:

Giant Bomb has a preview up, shows the other kind of Exalt mission.

So, uh, when Xcom agents die they go bald. Is that a new bug? My guys always wear helmets so I have no idea if it currently happens.

Mortabis posted:

The AI would have to actually work properly and not just teleport enemies around until you see them (and sometimes after if you're cloaked) in order for that to be viable.

Thought EW was removing teleporting?

Since covert ops agents can only use pistols, I hope the foundy upgrades work now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

So, uh, when Xcom agents die they go bald. Is that a new bug? My guys always wear helmets so I have no idea if it currently happens.

Thought EW was removing teleporting?

Since covert ops agents can only use pistols, I hope the foundy upgrades work now.

That bug is ancient, it even showed up in press demos for the base game. Sometimes XCOMs get shot so hard their headgear flies off.

Restricting them to pistols only makes me want to get Gunslinger for a dedicated infiltrator.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Funny how the dev talks about how the covert operative isn't wearing armor, but he clearly has more health than all the "armored" soldiers

Edit: Ugh there's still the drop-in overwatch guys, god knows they'll appear in the same place and time every game.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 10, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darox posted:

That bug is ancient, it even showed up in press demos for the base game. Sometimes XCOMs get shot so hard their headgear flies off.

Restricting them to pistols only makes me want to get Gunslinger for a dedicated infiltrator.

It's clever. Your best bet is to send a levelled sniper as the infiltrator, but because he only shows up with a pistol that means that even before the nerfs to squad-sight you aren't going to be dual-sniping your way around the map.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Ha, 24:45 in that Rev3 video. Ananda knows that the camera moving that way means the shot's gonna connect. Surprised they didn't take that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Space Hamlet posted:

Funny how the dev talks about how the covert operative isn't wearing armor, but he clearly has more health than all the "armored" soldiers

Edit: Ugh there's still the drop-in overwatch guys, god knows they'll appear in the same place and time every game.

A nice touch I noticed in the Rev3 video is that when those guys drop from the sky you briefly hear a helicopter. I wonder if alien-dropping is now accompanied by a UFO flyover sound bite.

• Locked thread