Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And for 12 points it'd better loving be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah the first shot was ok. Took me to half health but I could take it. The Chargers are what did me in. Position and screening. I'm thinking I'm going to run Kreoss up with the Vengers screening him and have my jacks and infantry hold the centre.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
drat I think I'll run nemo2 this weekend in a tourney. Thanks thread!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Against nemo2's thunderhead, keep your caster more than 18" away or you will be sorry! Thunderhead kills casters like it's his job.

I don't play against enough Cygnar. What does Thunderhead do and what does Nemo2 bring for him? I seem to recall one of the Nemos has energizer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

!amicable posted:

I don't play against enough Cygnar. What does Thunderhead do and what does Nemo2 bring for him? I seem to recall one of the Nemos has energizer.

Not sure how it is 18" unless it is some way other than the way I know. But Nemo2 can energizer him for an additional 3", walk 5", pulse 6", and if your warcaster is within that 6" he can buy additional sustained attack shots on you.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Thunderhead has Sustained Attack with its lightning coil, which is ROF 3, POW 14 which I would think would be best with Nemo3 on his feat turn, since all of those attacks would have an extra damage die but that's just from reading Cygnar stuff endlessly and not having actually played yet.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

!amicable posted:

Thunderhead has a rng 10 pow 14 gun with ROF 3 and sustained attack. Nemo2 can energizer him 3" after either allocating 3 focus or feating to give him 3 focus, then the Thunderhead can walk 5" and shoot at a warcaster. Boost the attack roll on the initial to try for sustained attack, and if you get it, you tag the enemy warnoun with a pow 14 which is going to be followed by two more.

e:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not sure how it is 18" unless it is some way other than the way I know. But Nemo2 can energizer him for an additional 3", walk 5", pulse 6", and if your warcaster is within that 6" he can buy additional sustained attack shots on you.

Pulse is a * attack and completely separate from the actual gun.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I played my first game a few weeks ago but I'm not sure I was taught to play right. The two spots I'm not clear on are:

Is a warpwolfs regeneration one of its warping abilities? It's not bullet pointed and it says once a turn which seems to imply that it's a separate ability but I didn't want to argue with the guy who was teaching me to play.

Also, he said leaching is all or nothing from war beasts but I can't seem to find that rule. So if I have a FURY 6 warlock and I have 3 fury on 1 beast and 4 on another, I could leach the 3 or 4 but I would not be able to get six. Is that the way it works?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jodai posted:

I played my first game a few weeks ago but I'm not sure I was taught to play right. The two spots I'm not clear on are:

Is a warpwolfs regeneration one of its warping abilities? It's not bullet pointed and it says once a turn which seems to imply that it's a separate ability but I didn't want to argue with the guy who was teaching me to play.

Also, he said leaching is all or nothing from war beasts but I can't seem to find that rule. So if I have a FURY 6 warlock and I have 3 fury on 1 beast and 4 on another, I could leach the 3 or 4 but I would not be able to get six. Is that the way it works?

1) The warpwolf's regeneration ability is completely seperate from its warping. At the beginning of its activation it has to select which Warp it wants to do. During its activation you can force it to heal d3.

2) Very incorrect. Leeching you can pick and choose all you want. The only "all or nothing" with fury is that when a warbeast dies, you have to either reeve all of its fury(up to your maximum, if you cannot hold it all you take what you can and the rest goes away) or none of it, you can't just choose to take part of it.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
You got screwed.

Regeneration lets you force (add 1 fury) to heal the beast in its activation, regardless of its warp.

Leeching is any amount up to the warlock's FURY stat, taking any amount from any number of warbeasts. Just remember that if you camp fury for transfers and don't use it all, that limits your leeching next turn because fury tokens persist, unlike focus

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I figured as much. I won the game and everyone said that he was not the type to let people win, even in a teaching game so he might have been getting frustrated and I just didn't want to argue. Looking over the rules, I think he let me do something that is not legal because I gave stealth to three war beasts with the same spell(Occultation) from the same warlock but if I read it right, only one instance of an upkeep spell is allowed. So, I could only have given one beast stealth. He was also using spirit door from beast to beast but, and I'm never sure I'm reading the spells right, it's only between Kaya and a war beast.

I love the game but I just felt like between reading so much here and looking up things on battle college, I had a good grasp on the way the game worked and it was awkward to tell someone "Teach me to play this game" and then feel like I should be correcting them.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

jodai posted:

I figured as much. I won the game and everyone said that he was not the type to let people win, even in a teaching game so he might have been getting frustrated and I just didn't want to argue. Looking over the rules, I think he let me do something that is not legal because I gave stealth to three war beasts with the same spell(Occultation) from the same warlock but if I read it right, only one instance of an upkeep spell is allowed. So, I could only have given one beast stealth. He was also using spirit door from beast to beast but, and I'm never sure I'm reading the spells right, it's only between Kaya and a war beast.

I love the game but I just felt like between reading so much here and looking up things on battle college, I had a good grasp on the way the game worked and it was awkward to tell someone "Teach me to play this game" and then feel like I should be correcting them.

Not a Kaya player, but I'm pretty sure you're right on both counts. Might want to go back to this dude and offer to teach him how to play :v:

Edit: You wouldn't happen to be in Sacramento, would you? Long shot, but I know we have a popular game store around here that is loving terrible at the actual rules to this game (mostly 40k players)

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 10, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah you were definitely right about both of those things.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Played against my friend's Convergence last night with Mohsar. He wanted to try out Aurora and I definitely underestimated just how far she can move in for an assassination. He went for it and did exactly enough damage to kill Mohsar, which is sad because if he failed Ghetorix was standing right there to cleave her face off.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

jodai posted:

everyone said that he was not the type to let people win, even in a teaching game so he might have been getting frustrated
First, if he's that victory-starved that he'd deliberately steamroll a newbie he's either a very poor player or qualifies for therapy. Also, a douche.
Second, who the gently caress cares if he's getting frustrated? You can get frustrated if you lose every single roll or something. Or if the new guy fails to grasp the simplest things. Again, this was a teaching game :psyduck:

Or wait... maybe he wanted to show you that WMH community sucks and get you out of this game RIGHT loving NOW? In that case, stop helping thread, you're undermining his honest efforts! :haw:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

CaptCommy posted:

Edit: You wouldn't happen to be in Sacramento, would you? Long shot, but I know we have a popular game store around here that is loving terrible at the actual rules to this game (mostly 40k players)
Nope, I'm in central Arkansas so I'm not really spoiled for choice.

Pierzak posted:

First, if he's that victory-starved that he'd deliberately steamroll a newbie he's either a very poor player or qualifies for therapy. Also, a douche.
Second, who the gently caress cares if he's getting frustrated? You can get frustrated if you lose every single roll or something. Or if the new guy fails to grasp the simplest things. Again, this was a teaching game :psyduck:

Or wait... maybe he wanted to show you that WMH community sucks and get you out of this game RIGHT loving NOW? In that case, stop helping thread, you're undermining his honest efforts! :haw:
I am new to the area and didn't want to get branded as a jerk or anything but after I thought about it, I realized it is not rules lawyering to want to play the game right.

I figured that guy might have been a bad representation of the general community but I haven't gone back yet on a warmachine night to play some other people. He works at the store though, so I would bet that he taught most of the people there. There's no official events that take place anywhere nearby as far as I know so there's probably all kinds of weird "house rules".

There are three other stores close by: one doesn't sell Privateer Press stuff, one is incredibly insular to the point that it is uncomfortable to set foot in and in the one I just visited, a guy told me that WMH had kinda lost popularity due to a couple players taking it too personally when they lost. There is a store that sounds really cool but it is a four hour drive. At this point, I may just go with that.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

jodai posted:

There are three other stores close by: one doesn't sell Privateer Press stuff, one is incredibly insular to the point that it is uncomfortable to set foot in and in the one I just visited, a guy told me that WMH had kinda lost popularity due to a couple players taking it too personally when they lost. There is a store that sounds really cool but it is a four hour drive. At this point, I may just go with that.

I will never understand the sore loser problem in this game. Losing is the best because you get to analyze the game afterwards with the dude who kicked your rear end.

Also everyone loses their first like 30 games so at that point shouldn't you be calloused to the whole "being a teary-eyed bitch" syndrome?

Shitlords are weird. We finally resolved our shitlord problem by finding a delegate to translate what we were saying into passive-aggressive nerdspeak and now everyone is happy.

You should at least try and network at a store more convenient before doing weekly caravans. This may require rubber gloves and some Vicks under your nose but when that manchild you played with eventually comes back with clean hair and missing his bloatee it makes it all worth it.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Welp, I got accepted as a Pressganger. Guess I should actually start running events...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

Welp, I got accepted as a Pressganger. Guess I should actually start running events...

Grats man, welcome to the club.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Vulich the Subtle posted:

I will never understand the sore loser problem in this game. Losing is the best because you get to analyze the game afterwards with the dude who kicked your rear end.

I also can't get the "MUST WIN" mentality - at the most basic level, your chance to win is 50%, give or take depending on individual luck, skill and so on, but you can't win them all. That's the mindset I use when approaching any game, and it helps a lot.

Anyway, is it just me or does this game have some kind of addicting quality? Feels like whenever I'm not playing or painting, I'm thinking about Warmachine. I've caught myself at work looking at spreadsheets while thinking about threat ranges instead. This can't be healthy.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Luebbi posted:

I also can't get the "MUST WIN" mentality - at the most basic level, your chance to win is 50%, give or take depending on individual luck, skill and so on, but you can't win them all. That's the mindset I use when approaching any game, and it helps a lot.

Anyway, is it just me or does this game have some kind of addicting quality? Feels like whenever I'm not playing or painting, I'm thinking about Warmachine. I've caught myself at work looking at spreadsheets while thinking about threat ranges instead. This can't be healthy.

We have a guy who plays the biggest "gently caress You" lists possible. My very first game I played the Khador battle box + widowmakers for 15 points. He played Butcher, some jack and Kayazy. As we were playing he didn't give me any information about what his guys did or anything. My widowmakers shoot the kayazy "Oh, their stealthed so you auto-miss" and then moved on to the next activation.

He plays the same 2 lists with very little variation, so the experienced players who have a large selection of models pick what they know will beat him and just roll over him.

When he's losing he'll start shaking real bad and bite the area between his thumb and forefinger.

People generally don't play with him anymore!

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Luebbi posted:

What keeps me going, and podcasts help here whether you agree with what they say or not, is the constant low level noise of Research and Development.

Trying out new stuff and making them work in a competitive environment is really a lot of the fun I get out of the game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
But if you lose at a dice game despite your amazing strategies, that must mean the whole universe is against you, right?

It's a conspiracy.

On another note, I finally got myself through Assembly Hell. Now I just have to find somebody to play against!

archangelus
Oct 9, 2013
So I'm playing a 42pt list at feast of blades tomorrow. I'm hoping for a little input for my main list, here is what I plan on running:
Nemo 3: +3wjp
Stormwall: 19pt
Thunderhead: 12pt
5 blazers: 10pt
3 storm callers: 3pt
Reinholt: 1pt

Questions, comments, conserns???

combatwordsmith
Sep 6, 2013
I run a nerd club in Australia. I'm a Press Ganger, and have been doing that for a while. I used to enjoy playing purely casual games with models whose fluff or aesthetic I liked and I couldn't really understand the 'Must Win' attitude I would occasionally see at tournaments or on the internet. The same went for my Warmachine friends, we'd meet on Wednesdays every week without fail. We'd run events, teach new players. Fun was what we were having.

Then I made the mistake of teaching the game to my other group of friends, some of the DnD guys I met through the club.

That was a mistake. Incorrigible Sperglords the lot of them.

Now, not only are they SIGNIFICANTLY better than me at the game I'm supposed to be teaching which is simultaneously a point of pride and a point of embarrassment, they have also changed the way I think and how I play the game. I used to run pStryker and pNemo lists, because they were pretty cool guys. Now I have a collection of lists rated by threat range. eCaine. Kraye. eHaley (I refer to one of my Haley lists as 'The Fun Police'.)

I could deal with them trouncing me at the game I play. Up to a point I guess, nobody really likes losing. Maybe I could deal with them forcing me to get better at the game I play at the expense of my principles/laziness. I was completely fine being an average player. I can't deal with the entirety of the original crew not playing anymore because they don't want to get trounced by the numerically efficient Sperg Brothers every Wednesday.

I've tried explaining why it's not fun to play them. They didn't really understand it the first time, but of course they didn't, they have a disorder. Eventually, I got through to one of them. He tried to change up his style. He lets his opponent randomly select a Warcaster from his collection and then he'll make a list around them. But he still wins 90% of the time. He's an excellent player. He can't help himself. Some of the guys have literally never beaten him because they choose not to run numerically superior lists, or because some of them are average to below average players.

Also sometimes pStryker and pNemo look mournfully at me from their glass display cabinet. That's disquieting in its own way.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Did you try to explain to the guys that left that other people have fun in different ways? I mean I could understand if someone was being an rear end in a top hat, I just always find it odd when I encounter people who say they don't care about the game they just want to have fun end up quitting because they weren't winning. Seems like they must care a little.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
pNemo is so much fun to play. If he had a few more points of armor and a few more boxes of health I think he'd be legit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CPFinnit posted:

pNemo is so much fun to play. If he had a few more points of armor and a few more boxes of health I think he'd be legit.

I'm gonna start running him with the Arcanist Corp and see how it turns out. I think it'll do a lot for his survivability, and it's not like you want to play him against Legion anyways.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Is it just me or are trollkin warders like... amazing bonkers crazy good? 5 for 8 for multiwound tough reach weaponmasters? It's not like being a little slow is all that tough to mitigate in Trolls either.

combatwordsmith
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah, I didn't just explain to one group that they were the sole problem and they needed to fix it somehow. That would have been totally lame.

I talked with the other guys about it too. Most of them are even sort of friends with the brothers outside of Warmachine, and are aware that both of them suffer from a disorder. (Although it's always hard to tell where the sperg stops and the bastard starts.) I guess that's why they just killed the event, rather than telling the brothers to bugger off.

The problem was that while the regulars were happy to play amongst themselves with their own level of seriousness, competitiveness and win conditions, and will even dedicate a match or two against one of the brothers so that they got a chance to play a game, the Sperg Brothers, however, refuse to play against each other because 'They aren't fun to play against.' That is just so APT. Which means they were constantly badgering the regular guys for a game. The instant one game finished, they immediately moved on to the next. There's no smack talking, no wrap up or debrief. Dice Down. Good Game. Shake Hands. Robot Smile. Does anybody want a game? If people decided to sit down and chat for a bit rather than diving right back into another thrashing, the brothers would get bored and go home early or get out their laptops and play TF2 in the corner.

And I used to enjoy pNemo or eNemo with the Thunderhead back in MK I, but I don't use any of them in MKII with the new '. Which is sad, because my 2010 sculpt Nemo and my Thunderhead are some of my nicest painted models. If I want jack heavy, I normally run 50 points of Kraye. 2x Cyclones, Rowdy, Stormclad, Minuteman. Squire. Jnr. Arlan. eEirys. Black 13th. Thankfully, Kraye is my nicest painted model.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Nemo2 is basically your wishlist, CPFinnit. Besides, Nemo1 is legit anyway.

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna start running him with the Arcanist Corp and see how it turns out. I think it'll do a lot for his survivability, and it's not like you want to play him against Legion anyways.

Our Nemo1 player owns Arcanist Corps but hasn't actually used / assembled them yet. They're undoubtedly good with him but he gets more than enough power tokens from A&H, Jr, and Strangeways. In my opinion the primary issue with Nemo1 is not getting shot, it's the fact that if he can get shot he's probably dead. Clouds won't help but Cover and a chunk of your army will.

However, if obviously A&H or Strangeways are in another list then immediately the TAC are worth it but you get what I'm saying.

theironjef posted:

Is it just me or are trollkin warders like... amazing bonkers crazy good? 5 for 8 for multiwound tough reach weaponmasters? It's not like being a little slow is all that tough to mitigate in Trolls either.

It ain't just you, they are that good. Work in Borka's theme list, too!

combatwordsmith
Sep 6, 2013
I used to take Lexi and the Pun Skeletons with pNemo. They were a mass of bodies between Nemo and the enemy, she could cast spells for power tokens, and once she ate the entire unit of Risen to take out a Juggernaut so the Thunderhead could get into position to pulse.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Alright, I'm on the cusp of finally getting to play a game of this! For a 15 point list, what should I be looking for? Is it possible to build a list that hits all the checkboxes (deals with armor, with mobs, etc), or do I need to pick an expert specialization (assassination, gun line, etc) and go with that?

Here are my mans I have available

Thyra
pKreoss
Reznik

Castigator
Crusader
Vanquisher

Devout
Vigilant
Repenter

12 Daughters of the Flame
5 Exemplar Cinerators
3 Wracks

Nicia
Paladin of the Wall

----

I think of the 3 casters I really want to play Reznik the most, but I'm confused as to just what he is. Some sources tell me he's for assassination and should only be taking one 'jack, others say he should have several 'jacks and play more of 'kill everything' game. Does anyone have any extensive experience with him?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Theproffet posted an album of his awesome WTC Final tables here: http://s936.photobucket.com/user/theproffet27/library/WTC%20terrain?sort=3&page=1 well worth a look! The menoth and Khador one are my favourites.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

gannyGrabber posted:

I think of the 3 casters I really want to play Reznik the most, but I'm confused as to just what he is. Some sources tell me he's for assassination and should only be taking one 'jack, others say he should have several 'jacks and play more of 'kill everything' game. Does anyone have any extensive experience with him?

At 15 points, just try to run a variety of models to get used to the game's core mechanics - it isn't really designed to be competitively balanced until about 35 points.

With those models I'd probably run Reznik, Devout, Vanquisher and Cinerators, but as I said you're not going to find a very balanced game at those levels.

Also you need to buy Choir of Menoth and a Vassal of Menoth. If you want to play a stompy robot faction, you need stompy robot support.

edit: As far as Reznik goes, he's a confusing cookie. He has a very strong assassination game, but delivering him on a medium base can be tough. He wants to keep his focus, so 1 or 2 big jacks are probably the most I'd go with him in my opinion.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Warders do not work in Borka's Family Reunion. Sure wish they did. Luckily they still own.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Our Nemo1 player owns Arcanist Corps but hasn't actually used / assembled them yet. They're undoubtedly good with him but he gets more than enough power tokens from A&H, Jr, and Strangeways. In my opinion the primary issue with Nemo1 is not getting shot, it's the fact that if he can get shot he's probably dead. Clouds won't help but Cover and a chunk of your army will.

However, if obviously A&H or Strangeways are in another list then immediately the TAC are worth it but you get what I'm saying.

I don't think that having them compete for who gets to put power tokens on Nemo is even an issue. Although I don't think I'd ever run A&H with pNemo regardless, but that's just me :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

S.J. posted:

I don't think that having them compete for who gets to put power tokens on Nemo is even an issue. Although I don't think I'd ever run A&H with pNemo regardless, but that's just me :v:

Yea, between the warjack damage buff on a five focus jack to one-round beasts or the ability to throw an arcane secrets chain lighting with tons of focus to boost on ARM 18+ troops or stuff with boxes, I don't think pNemo really needs A&H as much as everyone else in Cygnar needs the help doing work more. Especially since people will be loathe to bring a colossal against him since he can snare it IIRC.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

Yea, between the warjack damage buff on a five focus jack to one-round beasts or the ability to throw an arcane secrets chain lighting with tons of focus to boost on ARM 18+ troops or stuff with boxes, I don't think pNemo really needs A&H as much as everyone else in Cygnar needs the help doing work more. Especially since people will be loathe to bring a colossal against him since he can snare it IIRC.

He can, yeah. It's hilarious if it works but often you don't have the focus to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Think I'm going to pick up Retribution. I really like the look of Rahn's spell list, and eVyros is pretty cool too because of his gently caress you levels of defensive stats.

I play Skorne as my main faction, and just recently went to a qualifier for The Crucible, which is the southeast's big con/event for warmachine. I didn't win because my last two games I derped on my timer, one time forgetting to call my extension and the other misreading it, but I played Makeda and the Exalted Court exclusively all day. It really is amazing how much better she is on the table than she initially looks. I dropped her against pHaley, who couldn't deal with her at all. Second round was eVayl, and the guy actually had a large amount of table time against the Big Mak. He ended up feeding me a beast every turn just to keep me from feating into his Legionnaires. Camping 3-5 fury and with support beasts ready to accept transfers in the back and she's just impossible to kill.

• Locked thread