Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

A wine barrel?? Ooh la la that's some fancy poo poo for someone living off my tax dollars. They should be in a Bud Lite box just big enough so we don't have to see their lower class genitalia.

Ooh, look at at the Libtard who's fine with just letting the poor have genitalia. AT MY EXPENSE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

How can those people enjoy biking and running, and hanging around with their bros with cool backpacks in the middle of all that tyranny?

Speaking of running and tyranny, what about the trains? Will they run on time?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Dirt posted:

I got this tonight on facebook:

The huge push to make the "they're taking away are monuments! :bahgawd:" subject anything even resembling a big deal shows an incredible desperation from the right to divert the argument away from the fact that Republicans in Congress outright shut down the government. It's absolutely shameful pandering to the one demographic (retirees) that the GOP hasn't already scared away.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The worst part is that the memorial is open for first amendment activities; so they'll show up, make a stink about being denied access, then "stand up to tyranny" and stroll into the memorial declaring victory.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I wish people cared as much about veterans benefits as they did about a monument.

Or, I wish there was more media coverage about cuts that actually impact people's day to day lives.

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 10, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Macaroni posted:

Closest Kinko's/office-type store is 5 miles on foot from my brother-in-law. He could conceivably walk to the train station and go into the city to find one there, which 1) puts him out $10 for the round trip and 2) $2 per fax page, as others have pointed out.

The employer in question is a public school district. Of course they're still using fax machines! :cry:

A lot of federal jobs require faxed applications.

I use Greenfax for this poo poo. 25 bucks, like 5 years ago, a few cents a page. It'll probably last another 5 years. I prepare my document in whatever digital format it will accept that works best in the circumstances, email it to this service with my password as the subject and FAXNUMBER@greenfax.com as the recipient, and it's done. There are other services, but AFAIK there are no free ones that aren't poo poo and will definitely work with the federal government's automated fax systems. (Yes, it's one computer talking to another...via fax)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

nyquil hangover posted:

I wish people cared as much about veterans benefits as they did about a loving monument.

Well, poo poo, what do you think the monument is for? We put up a monument so we don't have to deal with anything else :colbert:

:(

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Speaking of stupid poo poo from Facebook,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDVy4Pk61o

A video by a subsidiary of the Leadership Institute (same shining beacon that produced James O'Keefe) posted the same day as a CU Boulder College Republicans meeting. Sounds totally legit and entirely unbiased.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Apparently this is going around:

Literally oppositeofreality.jpg to justify child abuse. Crime rates have been dropping for more than 20 years. I mean, it wouldn't prove anything if they were still going up but at least then the conclusion that spanking reduces crime would at least make some kind of sense, wrong as it is.

Thankfully, he has no kids. Double-thankfully, the person who liked my graph is his wife :yaycloud:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My brother posted this, fortunately with some criticism of the subtle possibly-racist imagery.

edit: Just noticed that's 4chan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

redstormpopcorn posted:

Speaking of stupid poo poo from Facebook,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDVy4Pk61o

A video by a subsidiary of the Leadership Institute (same shining beacon that produced James O'Keefe) posted the same day as a CU Boulder College Republicans meeting. Sounds totally legit and entirely unbiased.

This is literally "I wonder what privileged white kids think", the video. I was legitimately freaked out by the lack of minority students.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Yes, a Colorado school in the middle of a suburban hellhole is clearly the most unbiased sample to draw political opinions from.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Yes, a Colorado school in the middle of a suburban hellhole is clearly the most unbiased sample to draw political opinions from.

Boulder is the most liberal town in Colorado, by a large, large margin.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Grem posted:

Boulder is the most liberal town in Colorado, by a large, large margin.
It's also really, really white and fairly affluent.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

No, don't you get it? Without the oppressive government and DEA telling me what free people can and cannot put in their own bodies, this wouldn't be necessary, and would never happen! Plus if the FCC weren't regulating the airwaves, there would be tons of other providers to choose from.

Seriously, I'd expect to see one or both of those responses coming from a libertarian.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

VideoTapir posted:

My brother posted this, fortunately with some criticism of the subtle possibly-racist imagery.

Let's compare this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

with this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
Boy, gun nuts sure love that mythical "Gun Free Zone" sign, don't they? They might as well build them from straw.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

VideoTapir posted:

Sure, it's 4chan, but it's surprising how many people approve of the idea of children bringing assault rifles to school.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
What's the name of that plugin that anonymizes facebook with the funny pun names?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

aBagorn posted:

What's the name of that plugin that anonymizes facebook with the funny pun names?

SocialFixer.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I'm Otto Matic.

Did I do my car analogy right?

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Tibeerius posted:

Boy, gun nuts sure love that mythical "Gun Free Zone" sign, don't they? They might as well build them from straw.
Are you saying those signs don't exist? They're all over the schools here in NY, along with drug-free and alcohol-free signs.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Interlude posted:

Are you saying those signs don't exist? They're all over the schools here in NY, along with drug-free and alcohol-free signs.

Yes that's exactly what he's saying. The use of those signs in lovely political cartoons is all about showing their existance and not a metaphor for anything else.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes that's exactly what he's saying. The use of those signs in lovely political cartoons is all about showing their existance and not a metaphor for anything else.
Well, he called them 'mythical,' which generally does signify that something doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what they'd be a metaphor for, other than the rule they explicitly state.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Nevvy Z posted:

Lucky for him you're here to white knight his shittly ambiguous post, then. A metaphor! How sparkly!

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

aBagorn posted:

I'm Otto Matic.

Did I do my car analogy right?

I'm a bit confused, honestly.

But the best point to make is that in a car sale negotiation, both sides have something to offer. I have money. The salesman has a car. We work something out. But we don't sit down to negotiate without some kind of framing the deal. It would be quite disingenuous for me to take a tour around the lot, only to sit down with the salesman and inform him that I have no money, no credit, and absolutely nothing to offer him.

The Republicans have offered nothing. They have even been asked this question, and ducked it. The question remains: It is clear what the Republicans want, but what are they offering in return?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

VideoTapir posted:

It's an edit of the "Moms Demand Action" campaign. The kid on the left is holding a Kinder Egg.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So this is making the rounds:

My response:

Because the maximum taxable earnings for Social Security for 2013 is set at $113,700. Rich people don't pay into it so it's running out of money.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Because hateful old cretins like you would prefer it if welfare ran out of money, so they can't use it to scare you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also isn't welfare capped at 5 years over a citizen's lifetime?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Welfare" is not a specific program. There are a large number of different benefits that qualify as "welfare."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Strudel Man posted:

"Welfare" is not a specific program. There are a large number of different benefits that qualify as "welfare."

Right but I'm talking cash aid, which is what right-wingers typically decry as "welfare".

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

TANF is capped at 60 months, yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW my post was supposed to be a thing you could say to someone that says "welfare isn't running out of money, I wonder why that is?" Well it's because the part that these dummies think drags down the economy and going on forever (sitting on your rear end getting "free" government money) doesn't actually do that. Most right-wingers who bitch about welfare, in my experience, have no idea it was reformed. You're not going to change their opinion overnight but you can at least inject some reality into the argument.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

My response:

Because the maximum taxable earnings for Social Security for 2013 is set at $113,700. Rich people don't pay into it so it's running out of money.

"Because scared old people will vote for you and against your opponent if you tell them that. Bonus points if you can use your faux concern about Social Security to make said old people blame welfare recipients as the cause of the 'problem'."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Armyman25 posted:

Maybe this could be a good starting place for critical thinking.

You are always hearing about Social Security running out of money because someone is always telling you that it's running out of money.
Does that mean it's actually happening? It depends on if the person telling you things is telling the truth. My personal understanding of the situation is that there are some long term problems with Social Security that could be fixed, but every solution is politically difficult. But that's a discussion for another time.

You never hear about Welfare running out of money because no one ever tells you that it's running out of money.
Does that mean it's not really running out of money? Maybe, you don't know. You never hear about my cousin's ant farm. Does that mean it's not real?
How could we find out more about what's really going on with welfare? We'd probably have to get more specific than the term 'welfare' because Social Security and Medicaid are both forms of welfare. A good place to start would be to look at funding for programs like WIC, SNAP (Food Stamps), TANF (An aid program for families with children, 60 months lifetime maximum), and VHA (Veterans Health Administration).
that's not a full list but it's a start. How are these programs doing? Are they being funded well or are they seeing huge cuts?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I was trying to find the numbers on the stimulative multiplier on food stamps, and one of the search results was this:

quote:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2012/07/exposing-food-stamp-stimuls-fallacy.html

To understand the economic fallacy of the "food stamps creates economic prosperity" myth, let me paraphrase Art Laffer, who exposed a similar fallacy a few years ago relating to the claim that unemployment benefits increase demand and stimulate the economy:

In an economy, the economic effects from a transfer program always sum to zero. Simply put, there can be no economic stimulus from increased food stamp usage.

To see this, imagine an economy that produces 100 apples. If 10 of those apples are given to people with food stamps, then people who otherwise would have had those 10 apples are now worse off. The stimulus of 10 apples through food stamps is exactly offset by the destimulus of 10 apples for those people from whom the 10 apples were taken.

I don't understand how somebody can be an economics professor and have such a dumbshit view of how the world works.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

I was trying to find the numbers on the stimulative multiplier on food stamps, and one of the search results was this:

I don't understand how somebody can be an economics professor and have such a dumbshit view of how the world works.

Having a dumbshit view of how the world works correlates quite well with being a good economics professor, because you never risk putting any thought into whether or not your simplifying assumptions are valid. If you pretend to justify more simplifications, you can write more papers.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bubbacub posted:

And one person owning 90 of those apples, which they store away and never eat, is good for the economy how? Apples that are going to rot if they just sit there can be actually used to feed the hungry and spread more apple trees with the seeds.

Just desperate fumbling for a argument, that's all this is. It doesn't even hold up under its own weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

Bubbacub posted:

What's a good counter-argument for this, not this analogy specifically, but this frequent application (mis-application?) of the broken window theory.