Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everyone knows his canon name is Heyyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If you say "Yoofie" I will fight you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Caitsith D. Yuffie? :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Started playing FF4 on my tablet, first actual Final Fantasy I've seriously tried to play (inspired by me playing a whole bunch of 14).

I don't get ATB. Mainly, I play by smashing through menus as fast as I can because oh god oh god I don't want that guy to hit my stupid glass cannon bard again oh god. Problem is, I can never figure out when the hell things are going to go off. It's led to me loving up pretty badly, too, if I mistime stuff - I just finished the giant bomb guy, who has a move where he explodes and does a massive amount of damage to the party. Problem is, I had queued up all five characters to do stuff, then he announced the countdown. I only managed to get like three of the defense orders in before he exploded, and it was the worst :smith:

Thankfully, monk guy survived, so I managed to kick through the six dudes that he spawns, but urgh. I'd take a traditional turn-based system over this any day, where I can actually take time to make decisions and have some degree of knowledge over what order things are going to happen in.

v: I actually have it on that, but that doesn't keep trying to scroll down to "defend" from being terrifying

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2013

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
If you go to the options menu, you should be able to set the ATB to either Active or Wait. It sounds like you're on Active, but Wait actually pauses the battle as long as you're within some kind of sub-menu, like Items or White Magic or whatever, which makes battles much easier for people like you and me who freak out at any sort of time limit. :shobon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

abraham linksys posted:

Started playing FF4 on my tablet, first actual Final Fantasy I've seriously tried to play (inspired by me playing a whole bunch of 14).
This is your main mistake right here: the more recent remakes and ports are geared for people who are deeply familiar with the original games. You'd have a more enjoyable time with an emulator and the SNES version.

Also the original was "soft ATB" in that the only monsters had an ATB counter. Your characters' turns came up at cyclical intervals, skipping and going to them next if they were casting spells at the time, meaning that you could queue up things as fast as the game could animate and you could input the commands.

Also "glass cannon bard" what :psyduck:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, "worthless piece of poo poo gently caress you" bard is the correct terminology

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Overbite posted:

I was playing Dissidia and Yuna said "teedus" this game is garbage.

Of all the reasons to think a game is garbage, correctly pronouncing the name of a character shouldn't be one of them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

This is your main mistake right here: the more recent remakes and ports are geared for people who are deeply familiar with the original games. You'd have a more enjoyable time with an emulator and the SNES version.

Well, this version did have a difficulty selector. I think the DS difficulty was the "hard" mode that I didn't select, and the "normal" mode that I did is close to the original. Mostly guessing, based on that the walkthrough I've consulted a couple of times seems to think I'm underleveled for where I am but I seem to be progressing okay :v:

quote:

Dude takes like two hits! I guess he's not really the cannon part since his attacks aren't fantastic. Maybe just glass bard, period.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

abraham linksys posted:

Dude takes like two hits! I guess he's not really the cannon part since his attacks aren't fantastic. Maybe just glass bard, period.
Does he have auto-Hide when his HP gets critical in that version? That was my favorite part of him, that he would just Hide randomly and be even more useless.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That was my favorite part of him, that he would just Hide randomly and be even more useless.

It's great if everybody but Edward is dead and all he has is six HP. All you can do is end hiding and pray you'll get a turn to pop a potion or phoenix down (or take a hit and finally die) before he hides again. It never happens. Not even close.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Of all the reasons to think a game is garbage, correctly pronouncing the name of a character shouldn't be one of them.

What is this human thing they call humor.

But yeah Teedus sounds stupid.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does he have auto-Hide when his HP gets critical in that version? That was my favorite part of him, that he would just Hide randomly and be even more useless.

Except when it saves your rear end, either intentionally or otherwise. Hide can pretend to be something of an early crutch, since it lets Edward be the sole reason you don't game over to the Mom Bomb because you're not expecting it and are having trouble due to inexperience, being a dumb kid who runs from every fight due to not being able to handle it or both (and when I was first playing IV, I was firmly in the last one). In this case, it'd also work on at least one later boss who just has stuff explode in your face as a literal last ditch attempt to murder you.

It's still not great, mind, but when your just getting used to stuff it can help a bit. Not something worth relying on overly much but it has its uses. :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

From the Vita thread, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD finally has a release date! December 26th, in Japan.

http://gematsu.com/2013/10/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-japanese-release-date-set

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

From the Vita thread, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD finally has a release date! December 26th, in Japan.

http://gematsu.com/2013/10/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-japanese-release-date-set

Just in time for Christm- oh.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So going off of Kingdom Hearts HD Remix, it'll come out world wide in June.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Still working through FF4. Got owned by Scarmiglione, then looked up a walkthrough to find out that apparently anything that's susceptible to holy damage takes damage from Cura :psyduck:

Thank god for modern conveniences like walkthroughs. Pretty sure I would have never figured that out if I tried to play this when I was a kid.

e: goddammit my badass purple suit got replaced by some bullshit anime

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 10, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

abraham linksys posted:

Still working through FF4. Got owned by Scarmiglione, then looked up a walkthrough to find out that apparently anything that's susceptible to holy damage takes damage from Cura :psyduck:
poo poo, man, when I was a kid, I was utterly stuck in the Waterfall Cave (yes, that one) until I figured out that Cure and Potion worked on the weaksauce Zombies there. Kind of a bitch if Cecil had been your carry to that point.

And then I made it far enough in to get Tellah and I was like "oh man Wizard, he'll kill everything!"

I really loved the idea of spellcasters when I was a kid. There was a point in my teenage years when they kind of fell to the wayside with me in favor of your typical ninjas and samurais, but I've rekindled my love of rear end in a top hat sages in recent years.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

abraham linksys posted:

Thank god for modern conveniences like walkthroughs. Pretty sure I would have never figured that out if I tried to play this when I was a kid.

If you were a kid and did play a lot of final fantasy you actually probably would end up knowing it. It was one of those things that was (seemingly) shared between the earlier games. It was also expected for there to be an undead boss you could instantly kill with a phoenix down. Just one of those strange D&D heritage things.

I can see it being bullshit going in blind now, though.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Schwartzcough posted:

Just in time for Christmas gift cards, I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Just in time for Boxing Day, you mean. :canada:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

abraham linksys posted:

I think there are NPCs that will mention stuff like this, and I assume the Beginner's Hall in Baron still exists in the remake, though I'm not sure. Either way, talking to NPCs might help you learn a few more tricks that make life easier.

A few more common tricks: Fire magic wrecks Ice enemies, Ice wrecks Fire, Thunder wrecks Water. Also, Slow is a crazy-powerful debuff in FF4 and will slow down enemies a lot, so it's usually a good idea to cast it against tough enemies (though I don't remember if they toned it down in the remake).

Assuming this version has Augments, you also get great Augments when you give crappy Augments to characters about to leave the party for good. Of course, that means having to look stuff up and getting spoiled on who leaves/joins the party, so it may not be worth the effort.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

abraham linksys posted:

Can this be the new thread title please?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Was anyone looking forward to Chocobo Racing 3D on the 3DS? It's been canceled.

quote:

Years before Square Enix revealed Bravely Default or Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, they showed a short video for Chocobo Racing 3D. We haven’t heard news about the game since it’s initial announcement so Siliconera turned to the creator of the original Chocobo Racing for PsOne, Takashi Tokita, to get some answers.

"The original Chocobo Racing was made by me," Tokita said to Siliconera. "But the one for the 3DS was a project being handled by someone else, and as far as I know, it has been closed. Now, if I had made it, I would have made sure that it came out. Unfortunately I was not!"

Chocobo Racing 3D appeared to have more than racing. The only video for the game shows a racer(?) on foot fighting another character with a sword.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/10/chocobo-racing-3d-one-square-enixs-first-3ds-projects-will-never-leave-coop/

So... when should we expect the iOS port? In all seriousness, I think Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call came out for the 3DS because the project was so far ahead in development. CR3D may not have been developed beyond a tech demo for various reasons. Their DS/PSP support stand in sharp contrast to the 3DS/Vita. They really want to get out of packaged goods.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I dunno about you guys, but I'm extremely excited to be unable to execute any blitz attack because of the touch screen.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

RME posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I'm extremely excited to be unable to execute any blitz attack because of the touch screen.

You don't have to hit diagonals for the blitz attacks. For the circle one you can hit RRDDLLUU and it will always come out.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah I always used DDL for Aura Bolt.

Sidenote: I really hate it when my menu/turn-based games require me to use manual dexterity and timing to correctly execute maneuvers. Other annoying examples include the trigger on the gunblade, limit breaks in FF8 and 10. Even if it's not hard, I don't like doing it because my favorite thing about turn-based battle systems is that this is not normally a feature of them; I like to play RPGs when I don't feel like needing twitch timing.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 10, 2013

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

A few more common tricks: Fire magic wrecks Ice enemies, Ice wrecks Fire, Thunder wrecks Water. Also, Slow is a crazy-powerful debuff in FF4 and will slow down enemies a lot, so it's usually a good idea to cast it against tough enemies (though I don't remember if they toned it down in the remake).

Ice is also super effective on lizards/reptiles/turtleman and slow works great even in the remake. It works on most bosses too. Spam slow! Berserk is also effective on certain enemies with cheap gently caress off laser or dragon breath attacks as when berserked they can't use those. Also in the remake your new bullshit anime gets protect/shell before long which can be cast on the entire part at once which is handy at times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

Was anyone looking forward to Chocobo Racing 3D on the 3DS? It's been canceled.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/10/chocobo-racing-3d-one-square-enixs-first-3ds-projects-will-never-leave-coop/

So... when should we expect the iOS port? In all seriousness, I think Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call came out for the 3DS because the project was so far ahead in development. CR3D may not have been developed beyond a tech demo for various reasons. Their DS/PSP support stand in sharp contrast to the 3DS/Vita. They really want to get out of packaged goods.

I think it's more likely the project was just quietly canned some time ago. I get the narrative you're interested in but there actually isn't anything backing this one up. It was (barely) announced at E3 2010 as part of the initial leadup to the 3DS's launch (along with games that never materialized like Persona 3DS) and nobody said anything about it since. I doubt we'll see anything from the game at all. I even asked about it at E3 in 2011 and they implied without directly stating that it wasn't coming out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You don't have to hit diagonals for the blitz attacks. For the circle one you can hit RRDDLLUU and it will always come out.
Laughing over here if you don't think it's just going to be menu driven.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Harlock posted:

Laughing over here if you don't think it's just going to be menu driven.

Cyan menu driven you mean

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Vadun posted:

Cyan menu driven you mean

This would be a massive buff to Cyan. Maybe he wouldn't be the de facto worst character in the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always thought Gau was the worst character. Cyan rules.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always thought Gau was the worst character. Cyan rules.

It's the other way around, actually. Gau is probably the most consistently powerful character in the game with a moderate amount of time investment, whereas regardless of setup Cyan will never be better than mediocre (not counting the psycho Cyan glitch, but if glitches count, everyone is using double Illuminas).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They could potentially do a lot of things to make FF6 a more challenging and/or fun game, but we all know this is just going to be a straight port with lovely graphics and terrible controls.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Defiance Industries posted:

It's the other way around, actually. Gau is probably the most consistently powerful character in the game with a moderate amount of time investment, whereas regardless of setup Cyan will never be better than mediocre (not counting the psycho Cyan glitch, but if glitches count, everyone is using double Illuminas).

:thejoke:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wasn't joking. Every time I played through FF6 I shelved Gau immediately and dreaded the part where you meet him. I hate any character whose sole gimmick is Blue Magic. I also dislike Quina in FF9

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wasn't joking. Every time I played through FF6 I shelved Gau immediately and dreaded the part where you meet him.

Well as we can see you're pretty much objectively wrong . :colbert:

Gau can literally make the final boss kill himself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gau would be better if Rages were documented in-game and learning them wasn't so inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr Pepper posted:

Gau can literally make the final boss kill himself.

Gogo can kill him faster.