Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Toffile posted:

I was going to mention the cross promotion between Robin Hood and WCW, but there are things beat left unremembered.

I totally forgot about the MK TV series though.

Sorry for making you remember Crusade.

It's been on my mind lately which is part of the reason I could remember the TNT flops of the day. Back to the original point, being under the Turner umbrella did provide for a fair number of crossovers, contrary to Rad's claim.

Hogan and Sting did TV movies, Buff, Steiner and Booker were on Charmed. Nash did guest spots on shows of varying levels of crappiness. They did several crossovers with Mtv, the Raven/DDP feud kicked into gear after an angle shot on Mtv and WCW ran two battle royal specials on Mtv. The weirdest of which featured Fear Factory playing a set. There were more crossovers with WB stuff but I can't remember what. I'm not sure if Vader appeared on Boy Meets World due to WCW or not, I'm guessing not.

Did this all make use of Turner? No, outside of the TV movies and WB Network stuff they didn't use it a ton. WCW was the black sheep of the Turner family when it was producing embarrassing television and losing money and when WCW got hot, more mainstream things than Time Warner owned companies wanted to use WCW, so it wasn't going to use them then either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

TNT produced several original series during WCW's run, some of them with infamous crossovers with WCW. Off the top of my head they produced Robin Hood, Mortal Kombat, Bull, the fifth season of Babylon 5 and the Babylon 5 spin off Crusade. I am still miffed at TNT for screwing up Crusade. They also produced a bunch off TV movies.

I swore Witchblade was promoted during WCW's existence, but nope - that didn't start until 3 months after WCW closed.

There was also a really bad show named L.A. Heat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Heat_(TV_series)

Now, once WCW was off the air, it was primarily replaced with more NBA games, wasn't it?

Don't forget that TNT also used to show NFL games on Sunday nights, which is confusing, because that's direct competition with WCW Pay Per Views.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure if Vader appeared on Boy Meets World due to WCW or not, I'm guessing not.

Nah. That was during Vader's WWF run in 1996. One of his appearances had him facing off with Jake Roberts, I think.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 10, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Meng guest-starred on the Mortal Kombat show one time, it got a lot of promotion from Schiavone et al because I think MK followed Nitro at the time. I don't remember a lot about the show except that the guy playing Shao Khan appeared to be having the time of his life.

There was another WCW appearance on it once but I don't recall who. Kronik, maybe?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I swore Witchblade was promoted during WCW's existence, but nope - that didn't start until 3 months after WCW closed.

There was also a really bad show named L.A. Heat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Heat_(TV_series)

Now, once WCW was off the air, it was primarily replaced with more NBA games, wasn't it?

Don't forget that TNT also used to show NFL games on Sunday nights, which is confusing, because that's direct competition with WCW Pay Per Views.

Nah. That was during Vader's WWF run in 1996. One of his appearances had him facing off with Jake Roberts, I think.

The Witchblade pilot was heavily promoted during WCW, but the actual series started later. Vader's first spot on Boy Meets World was before his WWF run, but I'm not sure who put it together. As for what replaced it, I don't know about TNT but TBS was pursuing the Seinfeld/Friends rights and went wild with Seinfeld reruns.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Solomonic posted:

There was another WCW appearance on it once but I don't recall who. Kronik, maybe?

If it wasn't Mortis, Wrath, or Glacier I will be very disappointed.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

VogeGandire posted:

Don't forget, Vince is also a HUGE boxing fan.

He's also a better boxing commentator than a wrestling commentator.

"WHADDAMANEUVER!!!!"

"...it's called a punch, Vince."

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Perry Normal posted:

"WHADDAMANEUVER!!!!"

"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10--He got em! Wait, no he didn't. Come on, ref!"

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I remember Hogan, Savage, Flair and Vader guest starred on Baywatch. Where Hogan actually sells getting hit in the head with his own jet ski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwtxnqIhMxY

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Perry Normal posted:

"WHADDAMANEUVER!!!!"

MD2020 posted:

"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10--He got em! Wait, no he didn't. Come on, ref!"

Seriously, watch the boxing match at WM2, Vince calls every punch perfectly. Dude can't remember what a sidewalk slam is, but he can call a left cross right hook without hesistaion.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

If it wasn't Mortis, Wrath, or Glacier I will be very disappointed.

I'm pretty sure it was Wrath.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Toffile posted:

Turner basically produced no original series for the entirety of its ownership of WCW. TNT didn't really start producing original series until the 2000s, TBS did some stuff in the 80s, but did nothing in the 90s. TCM doesn't produce new content, which is kind of the point.

It would have been utterly ludicrous to throw them on CNN.

CN as a product only really matured when WCW was dying. Outside of Space Ghost, it was nothing but Looney Tunes and Hannah Barbera reruns. I guess maybe they could have been special guest stars in the Powderpuff Girls, but the demographics were all wrong.

According to The Death of WCW, there were plans at to make a WCW cartoon (which got shelved when the company started tanking), so maybe they were planning to put that on CN at some point.

Whether this would have been an NWO cartoon is left up to the reader's imagination.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 10, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Cozz posted:

I remember Hogan, Savage, Flair and Vader guest starred on Baywatch. Where Hogan actually sells getting hit in the head with his own jet ski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwtxnqIhMxY

This is great television. I like how Savage is actually wearing Macho Man trunks and just repeatedly says OH YEAH in all his scenes. It's also weird that the opening credits list all the wrestlers by their ring names, except for Terry "Hulk" Hogan.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This is great television. I like how Savage is actually wearing Macho Man trunks and just repeatedly says OH YEAH in all his scenes. It's also weird that the opening credits list all the wrestlers by their ring names, except for Terry "Hulk" Hogan.

I love that chasing rear end is what causes Hogan's downfall in that video. Just like in real life.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
To answer the Boy Meets World/Vader question, episode aired May 5th 1995 and was called "The Thrilla' in Phila". He was still with WCW at the time.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Vader was on Boy Meets World twice, then. Because I definitely remember reading about him being on Boy Meets World and beating up Jake Roberts in WWF Magazine.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

that's Huckster's stage name for when he wants to be taken seriously on his acting merits, brother

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The best part of the WC on bay watch episode is that the B-plotline on it is a very serious story about one of the lifeguards possibly having skin cancer, which leads to badly acted scenes with a character facing up to their own mortality airing right next to Hulk and Macho training in their ring gear and working out how to save the kids gym from cartoonishly evil developers.

Spoiler: the developer is Ric Flair.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not only that but a skin cancer message against the backdrop of guys who have very obviously spent half their lives in tanning beds is pretty tonedeaf, even for a show of the quality of Baywatch.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Oh and on the wrestling side of that episode Hogan taunts Flair into putting the deeds to the gym on the line against the one thing Flair has never gotten his hands on: the WCW title.

Of course Flair then proceeds to turn the match into a nontitle tag match for reasons that are never explained other than Flair is a moron.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Macho Man lost to a hamster on some show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
*** 1/2

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Toffile posted:

Macho Man lost to a hamster on some show.

But only after verifying that the hamster wasn't female.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
There was that TV movie Sting was in. I remember they ran a ton of ads for it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210984/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_35

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I spent so long looking for that movie when I was airing old Russo nitros a couple years ago, but could never find a copy of it anywhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shutterspeed and Assault on Devil's Island have sadly vanished into the ether. The frustrating part is the sequel to Assault on Devil's Island (Shadow Warriors) is often mislabeled to make you think it is either Assault or a non-existent third movie in that epic Hulk Hogan franchise.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have a copy of assualt on devils island on vhs. If I can find a way to rip it I'll get it uploaded somewhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

I have a copy of assualt on devils island on vhs. If I can find a way to rip it I'll get it uploaded somewhere.

If this turns out to be Shadow Warriors again I will be so bummed, but if it is Assault I will be so happy until I watch it.

Then I will be so bummed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I own the VHS of 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain starring the Hulkster, brother.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

If this turns out to be Shadow Warriors again I will be so bummed, but if it is Assault I will be so happy until I watch it.

Then I will be so bummed.

I can confirm it's not Shadow Warriors. As I also have that on VHS.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

I can confirm it's not Shadow Warriors. As I also have that on VHS.

If you can't personally rip it I'm willing to pay for a copy and shipping to someone who can.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I'll track it down, and see what I can do. If I can't do it personally I'll take you up on the offer.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Was Shutterspeed ever released on VHS/DVD/at all?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's two Sting moves: One was on PPV only and was a romantic comedy called the Real Reason Men Commit Crimes, and there was also Shutterspeed.

He was also on Walker, Texas Ranger as a drug dealer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He sure did. And Red insisted he make the autograph out to him instead of Eric.

I did what now?

coconono posted:

Bear in mind that RAW was regularly trumping Monday Night Football in the head to head ratings around that time. But yeah, XFL going straight to TV was beyond dumb and a running disaster. No standout talent, no media presence, no buzz. Running a few seasons off TV would have helped iron out the kinks but that would be awful pill for shareholders to swallow.

Is there any truth to the claim the NFL offered Vince a large pile of money to move Raw to another night?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Someone should Tweet Sting and ask him for a copy of Shutterspeed.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Red posted:

I did what now?

Is there any truth to the claim the NFL offered Vince a large pile of money to move Raw to another night?

It's hard to believe or remember but the nfl was sorta tanking at the time. The only real reason why nfl took off was because hockey and basketball were retarded and kept trying to lockout and be stupid. Basketball was way bigger at the time but due to weird tv contracts and the league being dumb as hell nfl took over.

Love him or hate him roger Goodall took nfl to new heights and ill say it. He took modern football to the height it is now.

Dude still pisses me off though

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

BigT posted:

It's hard to believe or remember but the nfl was sorta tanking at the time. The only real reason why nfl took off was because hockey and basketball were retarded and kept trying to lockout and be stupid. Basketball was way bigger at the time but due to weird tv contracts and the league being dumb as hell nfl took over.

Love him or hate him roger Goodall took nfl to new heights and ill say it. He took modern football to the height it is now.

I'm pretty sure none of this is correct. (Except for hating Roger Goodell.)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

BigT posted:

lol what

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hockey: america's pastime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Yes let's remember when the NFL was tanking, especially in the window between baseball's suicidal strike of 1994 and steroid boom of 1998.