Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

That's illegal, hth.

It sounded pretty illegal to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
That would definitely be fire axe time for the SIU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Transport Canada would descend upon that boat like a horde of angry flying Vikings and tear management apart. They do not gently caress around with the hours of rest

Canada has it that you need at less a period of six contiguous hours off in any 24 hours period, and you can't work more than a certain number of hours in 48 hours. STCW is on a weekly basis, but again with the six hours period, and I think MLC is similar. Not sure about the US regs.

Not that we haven't all broken the hours of rest regs at some point, but if that poo poo goes on for more than a couple of days captains need to be talked with and failing that phone calls need to be made.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, fatigue is no joke. FV will confirm how completely and utterly hosed I was after two months of effectively 6/6, and 6/4 I would not even be getting out of bed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

MSC had a bit of a problem with their air drafts today...

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, fatigue is no joke. FV will confirm how completely and utterly hosed I was after two months of effectively 6/6, and 6/4 I would not even be getting out of bed.

I did 6/6 for a 3 week shipyard and I wanted to murder everyone by the end.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Nice thread!

I work as an Electrician on the worlds largest AHTS, we tow oil rigs around and anchor them up.

Here's a picture of my ship towing a rig into Rotterdam:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

afen posted:

Nice thread!

I work as an Electrician on the worlds largest AHTS, we tow oil rigs around and anchor them up.

That boat should be painted black with a Batman logo on the funnel. I like the little rescue boat nook. Welcome to the thread.

In movie news, Maersk is getting sued by the crew of the Maersk Alabama.

Not to victim blame but what was that boat doing there anyway?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Just my loving luck, the ship I'm supposed to be joining in two weeks is getting scrapped. Back to the job board! :doh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"MAIB posted:

Had the radio calls been made as indicated, the lack of response should have prompted the chief officer to become increasingly concerned, leading to a high state of arousal.

Cause of grounding: Lack of arousal of chief officer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Alabama run was like Mombasa, Djibouti and JAL. The 2nd on here was on there so I got a pretty good recap. Basically, gently caress mates, gently caress Cpt Phillips and gently caress Maersk.

SUZ was clear, we kept the SEALs through there even though they had dropped their weapons off in Port Suez.

Last day after 5 months. Won't go back to work till April now but I need to take a VSO class in March.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

afen posted:

Nice thread!

KL Sandefjord?

also PYF ocean going vessle flagged in a land locked country

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/no/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=253383000

I cant find it now but a Swiss flagged tanker just past us a couple of days ago

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I knew a guy who sailed on a tanker registered in La Paz, Bolivia.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ugh I need to stop doing trips over 120 days. My head is so hosed up. Its going to take a month and drugs to fix this.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
After we left our last port I started getting really intense pain in my mouth, neck and ear. Being 4 days away from any doctor or dentist, the Captain emails this 'e-doctor' service (futurecare) to find out what could be wrong and what could be done to alleviate the pain. I've been advised to suck lemons between rationed doses of ibuprofen to help drain a gland until I can get to a doctor because budget review has left a pretty lovely stock of pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs on board (I've already chewed through all the ibuprofen which is the only thing that seemed to help at all).
So here I am sucking lemons. Workplace first aid at its finest.

* the overalls I'm wearing are not the company I'm currently casually employed by. They're old ones from another job.

when life gives you lemons...

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 9, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lightpole posted:

Ugh I need to stop doing trips over 120 days. My head is so hosed up. Its going to take a month and drugs to fix this.

I really can't fathom how the Filipinos, Koreans, Indians, Russians, etc do 9 month plus contacts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tide posted:

I really can't fathom how the Filipinos, Koreans, Indians, Russians, etc do 9 month plus contacts.

I'd go nuts after four months. Pulled five and a half once and holy poo poo, it's a miracle I didn't kill myself.

Had a Captain (Indian) who'd done 18 months straight as a cadet, that's like... :stare:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Tide posted:

I did some brief volunteer work with the ITF and we boarded a wheat ship where a Ukrainian engineer had been on for 18 months, 9 of which he had not been paid.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Way back when I was an agent, one of the first ships I ever boarded was captained by an old Greek hippy that hadn't been off the ship in 3 and a half years. Never went ashore in any port. He only wore flip flops, tank tops and shorts and little round sunglasses that he never ever took off - day or night. Wouldn't look directly at you. Huge bushy beard and hair down to his rear end.

Best coffee in the world and seemed like a genuinely nice guy but holy hell was he a bit off.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Surely there would have been some awesome story behind him? A tragic greek love story perhaps? I love poo poo like that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Institutionalizations coupled with a healthy dose of social anxiety or agoraphobia?

Not like you can get therapy on a boat. We had a guy go up to the old man and threaten to kill himself, that was fun.

Although the look on the paramedics and cops' face when I yelled "I'll be down with you as soon as we're done tying her up!" was loving hilarious.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Chief mate took ABS to inspect a ballast tank they knew had HFO in it because they had a previous 3M go in and take pictures. ABS asked if he had had water in the tank and the Mate said no. ABS then asked if he had ventilated the tank and the Mate said yes, a week ago when he had pumped out the tank. Needless to say the inspector did not sign off on the tank.

I also got called out for manoeuvering hours early just because we were going to be late arriving or departing way too many times.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Trench_Rat posted:

KL Sandefjord?

Bingo!

Flagged in Arendal, Norway :)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
is there a lot of down/port time on the AHTS in a four week period. I cant imagine that rigs need to moved all the time?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Trench_Rat posted:

is there a lot of down/port time on the AHTS in a four week period. I cant imagine that rigs need to moved all the time?

It depends. It seems like it's either nothing to do, or too much to do. Since we're pretty sought after, we have work most of the time.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
how freaked out were by the Bourbon Dolphin accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4h1p6gbeI

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

I remember that was just parked in Oakland for a lot of the winter, wonder what they're doing with it.

I took it out of the yard last summer. It took both the Matsonia and the Lurline to cover for when they sent one of the newer builds to the yard. They just park them in Oakland since they own the dock and won't get charged for it or up in Portland or some place brackish so they don't completely fall apart. Those ships are built with real steel though and are in pretty decent condition considering their age. I think they just scrapped the Lurline so now it's just the Matsonia and one or two other steam ships left. They have to make all their hulls last as long as they can since I think Tote is the only company with any plans on building US hulls. Horizon has some kind of pipe dream of converting their old steam ships to LNG.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sludge Tank posted:

Surely there would have been some awesome story behind him? A tragic greek love story perhaps? I love poo poo like that

No idea. When I would go on board, our meetings consisted of the two of us drinking coffee and smoking L&M cigarettes after eating one fried egg, one slice of toast and a cooked hot dog weiner for an hour or so while sitting across from each other. Not much was said. His english was good, not great, but could hold a conversation if you could get him engaged. Maybe I did enough talking for the both of us. Whenever I would leave, he would insist on me taking a carton of smokes and a bottle of Ouzo. I just generally think the ship was his home and he never saw the need to leave it.

Come to think of it, he looks like a duplicate copy of Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty. Except his beard and hair were longer.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
A skipper I used to sail with was a dead set spitting image of this guy:

dunno if it's the look he was going for..
The resemblance is freaky. He was a really funny dude, too. Never laughed so hard on the bridge in my life.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 12, 2013

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the MFOW or SUP? I am considering getting the certifications they require and seeking work with them, but from online research from other forums it seems that either they don't have much work, or in the MFOWW you won't be getting any work unless you are A seniority. Is the only way of getting B seniority from going to the SIU school on the east coast for a year? Do either unions have an apprenticeship type training?

I'd consider going to CSU Maritime, but cant afford the four years there and would prefer to be making money during those times. Is there any sort of alternative? I'd prefer hands on experience and getting dirty over lots of classroom work.

I'd be looking to work my up as a wiper. Work in the engineering department is of most interest to me right now.

I'm guessing it varies greatly, but do wipers generally get their own rooms or is it shared? If it's shared, do you eventually get your own room if you work up the ladder? or is it still varied?

It's either this or I am joining a local construction labor union. It does seem that I would probably be making better cash from construction right off the bat at this point, but I am still curious about maritime work.

Thanks for anyone who reads this and replies with any information!!! If anyone read my questions over in the engineering thread happens to read this too, thanks to you too! It's very appreciated.

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
MFU pays much better than the SIU and would be easier to get into than the SUP. You might have to sit around for a bit to get a wipers job but if you have your reefers or electricians you shouldn't have a problem getting work.

If you have the chance I would highly recommend going to CMA as it will shorten the time it takes to get your license and open up a lot more higher paying work. You will only have 2 months off the 3 summers you get there so you don't really have time to ship out. A lot of my friends found jobs in local businesses or on the campus to supplement their student loans. You should find a way to make it work.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Academy route really seems to open up a lot of doors, even my buddies here at GLMA on the quick and dirty non-degree track are looking into all kinds of crazy shoreside gigs like wind farm maintenance and stuff.

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

Thanks to you both for the information.

shovelbum posted:

the quick and dirty non-degree track

What exactly is this? I looked on their website and cant find anything like this. Are you referring to the "Power Plant Facilities Operator" program? Quick and dirty sounds great to me.

Thanks again.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dominic R. posted:

Thanks to you both for the information.

What exactly is this? I looked on their website and cant find anything like this. Are you referring to the "Power Plant Facilities Operator" program? Quick and dirty sounds great to me.

Thanks again.

Oh it's the 3 year, you have to have a bachelor's degree in literally anything else first. Mine was classical archeology!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Oh it's the 3 year, you have to have a bachelor's degree in literally anything else first. Mine was classical archeology!

From classical archeology to marine engineering on the lakes.

I'd make a joke, but... Yep, oddly appropriate.

Dominic R. posted:

Quick and dirty sounds great to me.

You're gonna love the engine room :getin:

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

shovelbum posted:

I think I read somewhere in this thread that you majored in archaeology originally and it seemed like another life to you. I majored in international studies with a focus in international finance. That seems like another life to me to, and it would have taken me down a career path I would have loving hated (I wanted to work in a bank for a very long time). I'm gonna call up CMA and see if they have something similar. I know they have provide information with those seeking a second degree, but don't know if it's also a three year type program. Thanks.

*UPDATE* Apparently CMA would regard my admissions to be the same as a first year freshman.

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 17, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't heard of a 3 year program. The key is getting all your required engineering classes done and the way everything is scheduled and the amount of classes required make it extremely difficult to speed it up. If you had all your general stuff done and devoted yourself year round and took math classes elsewhere it might be possible but you will still need to do 3 cruises. Basically there is a lot of knowledge and regulations built into the curriculum. If you are already West Coast I would say just go to CMA. One more year is going to suck but you will get access to the alumni network.

Either way, go to school, you will miss out on learning how to mop and that's about it. If you still want to learn when you get your license you can pay me $20 and come mop my house.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Two Finger posted:

USCG and USPH in two days. Goddamn. We nailed both of them, though.

Feel free not to answer, but just curious from the coast guard side:

Foreign or US flag?
What type of ship?
What port did the exam/inspection take place?
If US, was it an annual, periodic, COI renewal, etc?
If foreign, initial, annual, or renewal COC?
What's your position?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dominic R. posted:

*UPDATE* Apparently CMA would regard my admissions to be the same as a first year freshman.

Yeah just go get the real engineering degree, I mostly went Great Lakes because I could literally graduate in 2.5 years and they could get me into the class that was starting in like 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shovelbum posted:

Yeah just go get the real engineering degree, I mostly went Great Lakes because I could literally graduate in 2.5 years and they could get me into the class that was starting in like 3 weeks.

How long do you have left?

• Locked thread