Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Guillermus posted:

Got a question about updating after rooting my device (currently a S4 free). When I check for updates it says that my phone is modified and will not update. Will i need to remove/uninstall SuperUser app when 4.3 arrives for galaxy s4 users? Or do I need to restore my phone to stock settings before?

Just download a rooted stock version of 4.3 and apply that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Just download a rooted stock version of 4.3 and apply that.

I forgot to mention that I just rooted touchwiz. So what I want is to get the update from samsung, isn't that possible?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DemonMage means a rooted stock image for your phone. So it's just the Samsung image with root added and nothing else. They'll be on XDA and similar.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

I forgot to mention that I just rooted touchwiz. So what I want is to get the update from samsung, isn't that possible?

Taking the OTA update from Samsung is possible if you unroot. However you also run the risk of the OTA patching security holes and preventing you from getting root again.

Because you're rooted, you should hopefully have installed a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP. 99% of the time when an OTA comes out a dev will release a pre-rooted ZIP file of it so you can just flash that in manually. This way, maintaining root will be guaranteed.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hooah posted:

Since there's a bug in the CM kernel (see previous discussion about governor) and Franco's kernel is apparently now incompatible, does anyone else have any recommendations for kernels that will work with CM 10.2 on a Nexus 4?

Hmm, what version of CM has this bug? I run 10.2 nightlies on a Nexus 4 without issues, and battery life has been OK.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wooger posted:

Hmm, what version of CM has this bug? I run 10.2 nightlies on a Nexus 4 without issues, and battery life has been OK.

Eh, the last 3-4 nightlies, I suppose? Occasionally it'll let me set the governor to something other than interactive, but not often.

On the other hand, what ThermoPhysical discusses here might be what's killing my battery, rather than using the wrong governor. It appears more investigation will be needed in my case.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 8, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

Taking the OTA update from Samsung is possible if you unroot. However you also run the risk of the OTA patching security holes and preventing you from getting root again.

Because you're rooted, you should hopefully have installed a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP. 99% of the time when an OTA comes out a dev will release a pre-rooted ZIP file of it so you can just flash that in manually. This way, maintaining root will be guaranteed.

Thank you (and tunga), this clarifies my problem. Hopefully right after the OTA update I'll be able to find a touchwiz 4.3. I don't use any of the eye recognition features but I don't want to lose them just in case, also my battery life is great and I'd hate to lose that to a CM nightly wich at the other hand I'm running on my SGS1 (an old 9.0 CM) and love it.

I know that I'll end using a stable CM release but my phone is like 2 months old and don't want to completely go custom with it.

Thanks again to all the replies :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know it's been about a week but is there a custom rom out of 4.4 yet? Or are the Note 3s still only running 4.3?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just updated from 10.1.2 to 10.2-20131007-NIGHTLY on my Nexus 4. Other than the CyanogenMod account (no thanks :downs:) Any other big changes or features that were added?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know it's been about a week but is there a custom rom out of 4.4 yet? Or are the Note 3s still only running 4.3?
4.4 hasn't been released yet

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Just updated from 10.1.2 to 10.2-20131007-NIGHTLY on my Nexus 4. Other than the CyanogenMod account (no thanks :downs:) Any other big changes or features that were added?
You mean besides all the other 4.3 improvements? Nothing user facing that I know of.

Also the account thing isn't too bad if you're paranoid.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I need some SERIOUS help with my SGH-T989 Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile). I was using Snapchat about 5 minutes ago and the phone crashed. No problem, but when it rebooted it got just past the Samsung logo before the screen flashed. Now it's just sitting there in an off state, permanently vibrating as if it's stuck in a boot loop. If I take the battery out and put it back in, the loving thing turns on automatically and does the same thing. I can't boot into recovery OR download mode. Am I colossally hosed?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah that's proper hosed I'd say. You may be able to salvage it with a "download mode jig" ordered from eBay or Amazon. But don't hold your breath.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I slammed it against a table after finally trying my last possible option (denting part of it in the process) and it magically fell out of boot loop and is working again. Percussive maintenance strikes again.

I have accident protection on my phone which is the only reason I feel okay with slamming my gadgets.

e: Now is probably a good time to start backing stuff on my phone up.

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2013

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

FFStudios posted:

I slammed it against a table after finally trying my last possible option (denting part of it in the process) and it magically fell out of boot loop and is working again. Percussive maintenance strikes again.

I have accident protection on my phone which is the only reason I feel okay with slamming my gadgets.

Should've fastballed it into a wall.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Should've fastballed it into a wall.
Into your mouth. Get it right!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FFStudios posted:

In the future, try holding the power button down for 30 seconds after pulling the battery. Sometimes there's just enough charge left in the system that there's still data in the RAM. It seems like magic, but it worked consistently for me when I was working IT, and many of the carriers' tech support people will tell you the same thing.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is there a goon-recommended method of rooting the Verizon HTC One? I've done a cursory look over the topic and google and it was seeming more expedient to just ask.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I just got around to ditching Sprint for T-Mobile and picked up an HTC One. I already rooted it and installed CM 10.2, but my question is, if I ever want to go back to stock Sense, what would I want to download so I know I'm doing it right

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'm tearing my hair out, trying to get USB tethering to work on my Nexus 4 with my Windows 7 laptop. I can connect via usb in all the various modes, adb, ptp, mtp etc and not have any driver issues. As soon as I turn on USB tethering I get an installing driver window ("installing Nexus 4") and it never finds the right driver.

In device manager it comes up under-
Other Device:
--Nexus 4

So it's looking for a different driver than all the other modes. Also confirmed buy the Hardware ID of USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE4&REV_0228&MI_02 which I can not find in any of the *.inf's that I've managed to find. While *MI_00 & *MI_01 are in several of them.

Anyone have it working? Did the driver install via WU, or did you find it manually?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just point it at the Google driver from the SDK, that's the one I use for everything. Works for fastboot, ADB, recovery, tethering, I've never needed anything else.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Last night I rooted my HTC One (Sprint) and installed Cyanogenmod 10.2 and the Google apps package. Everything's great except one thing. When I connect to my computer via USB, my computer doesn't recognize the device. I'm running Linux Mint 14. I've turned on debugging and toggled all the USB settings I can find. Nothing. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

caiman posted:

Last night I rooted my HTC One (Sprint) and installed Cyanogenmod 10.2 and the Google apps package. Everything's great except one thing. When I connect to my computer via USB, my computer doesn't recognize the device. I'm running Linux Mint 14. I've turned on debugging and toggled all the USB settings I can find. Nothing. Any ideas?
Have you installed mtpfs?

This thread seems to indicate that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Out of curiosity why do you even need to connect it to your computer?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LastInLine posted:

Have you installed mtpfs?

This thread seems to indicate that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Out of curiosity why do you even need to connect it to your computer?

I don't do it too much, but every now and then I find myself needing to dump some pictures onto my hard drive to clear up space, especially since the One has no removable storage. But mostly I just want everything to be working as it should.

I'll look into mtpfs. It's odd though that before I installed CM, Linux was recognizing the phone just fine.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Airdroid. Install it to your phone and batch download your files from there. (I believe it can be done?) All you need is a browser.

Or if you're okay with giving up local storage and are already giving all your data to Google, just use auto backup.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

Airdroid. Install it to your phone and batch download your files from there. (I believe it can be done?) All you need is a browser.

Or if you're okay with giving up local storage and are already giving all your data to Google, just use auto backup.
Or Dropbox. Or SkyDrive. All the cloud apps have auto-upload.

As for your connection issue you can also browse a SMB share using any file browser or in a pinch even use FTP.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I run Ubuntu at home, and yea.. mtpfs is not worth it at all. Its a pain in the dick and drops connection constantly. It might pick back up but it take me an hour or so to transfer 1 album to my Galaxy Nexus. Pick up airdroid. It works great, and moves files quickly.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Can anyone recommend a smooth lightweight 4.3 rom for Nexus 7 (grouper)?

CM seems to run like a dog and PA, while brilliant, has more features than I want.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AOSP?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is anyone running CM or another rom on a rooted t-mobile HTC One? How is battery life?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Tunga posted:

Just point it at the Google driver from the SDK, that's the one I use for everything. Works for fastboot, ADB, recovery, tethering, I've never needed anything else.

This worked re the driver, thanks.....but USB tethering still isn't working. Its connecting through the phone, but showing as "no internet access". I'm on an older version of PA, perhaps I need to install something a bit more current.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it so difficult (and often impossible) to have Better Battery Stats list information "since charged"? That option usually doesn't show up for me.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

MeKeV posted:

This worked re the driver, thanks.....but USB tethering still isn't working. Its connecting through the phone, but showing as "no internet access". I'm on an older version of PA, perhaps I need to install something a bit more current.

If you're on an older version you might have to disable LTE for tethering to work, even if you're not connected to LTE.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone else having WiFi issues with CM 10.2 on SGS4 (jfltetmo)? After a day or so I can't connect to anything and attempting to open the WiFi settings panel results in a black screen for a random amount of time before it dies and returns to the launcher. Rebooting resolves the problem temporarily, but a day or so later it returns. I was on the 20131007 nightly, just CyanDelta'd to 20131011 to see if that changes anything.

edit: Found this off of this thread which seems to indicate it's affecting other SGS4 devices as well and also impacts 10.1.x releases, yet is CM-specific in that Google Edition based ROMs are not affected. I'm not sure if my issue is the same as I haven't done a logcat yet, but the symptoms match.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 13, 2013

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

WastedJoker posted:

Can anyone recommend a smooth lightweight 4.3 rom for Nexus 7 (grouper)?

CM seems to run like a dog and PA, while brilliant, has more features than I want.

2012 nexus? Runs like a dog pretty much no matter what you do, some well known issue or so I've read.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm looking to root/flash a 4.3 on my Asus transformer prime (TF201) wich is stuck on 4.1.2. Any recommendation? Will I be able to use all the asus apps afterwards? I have the docking and don't want to lose the functionality in that regard.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

ArgaWarga posted:

2012 nexus? Runs like a dog pretty much no matter what you do, some well known issue or so I've read.

Yeah, first Nexus 7.

I ended up going back to complete 4.3 stock (rooted) and it seems much better.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ArgaWarga posted:

4.3 should help a little. It has to do with 4.2 not supporting TRIM, which makes the flash storage slow down over time. 4.3 introduces TRIM to the stock Nexus 7. It's still not super fast, but good enough for my purposes.

I think CyanogenMod supports TRIM in 4.2, but I could be wrong.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

I think CyanogenMod supports TRIM in 4.2, but I could be wrong.
You are. Also from what I've read the 4.3 TRIM doesn't help unless it writes to areas needing erased and then erases them again so it will take a while to fix the problem. If you run the lagfix after you upgrade to 4.3 though the improvement should be immediate and noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Eikre posted:

Is there a goon-recommended method of rooting the Verizon HTC One? I've done a cursory look over the topic and google and it was seeming more expedient to just ask.

The Verizon HTC One is a massive pain in the dick for root, because Verizon refuses to allow their HTC devices to be unlockable on HTCDev.

Thankfully, some crazy rear end in a top hat invented an S-OFF method for the Verizon HTC One. It's a one-click solution too.

However, once you're S-OFF that doesn't automatically enable you to run root. You still have to unlock your bootloader and install a custom recovery in order to get root.

In order to unlock your bootloader in the first place you have to use fastboot to change the CID of the device so that HTCDev.com will even process an unlock token for your device.

Once your bootloader is unlocked, you can use fastboot to flash in TWRP (the preferred custom recovery) which will then let you flash in a root package. I recommend ClockworkMod's SuperUser package which has a link to the relevant ZIP file in the app description.