Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

On Vizios its usually the "Wide" button on the remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

wii VC ignoring the widescreen settings when 4:3 wiiware titles like contra and castlevania rebirth could handle it fine was just really poor design.

It was a result of the fact that all widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic. For widescreen software, the system would send your TV a "squished" 4:3 signal that was designed to be stretched to 16:9. Meanwhile, for non-widescreen software it would send a 4:3 signal that wasn't designed to be stretched. You'd have to change the setting manually because your TV couldn't tell the difference.

The Wii U's approach to picture formats is obviously less dated, so that's why it was finally possible to patch in a fix.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

homeless snail posted:

On Vizios its usually the "Wide" button on the remote.

I've lost the remote.

I've noticed now that I've set things to wide that some of my games that displayed incorrectly on other systems fit the screen better, at the cost of some screen space.

But I only have widescreen settings, none of the settings available to me fix any of the incorrect stretching on SD Television or anything that goes through the AV cables.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It was a result of the fact that all widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic. For widescreen software, the system would send your TV a "squished" 4:3 signal that was designed to be stretched to 16:9. Meanwhile, for non-widescreen software it would send a 4:3 signal that wasn't designed to be stretched. You'd have to change the setting manually because your TV couldn't tell the difference.

The Wii U's approach to picture formats is obviously less dated, so that's why it was finally possible to patch in a fix.

I understand anamorphic widescreen; theres still no reason they couldn't have designed their wii vc emulators to do the exact same thing when the system was set to widescreen in the system settings. Megamans and rebirth games (except gradius) could do this; homebrew snes / genesis / etc emulators could as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That would involve compressing those games to 1:1 and then having the TV re-stretch them to 4:3, which would compromise image quality, especially for pixel art. Anamorphic 16:9 uses rectangular pixels, which can create artifacts for games designed with square pixel art (for example, you can see vertical lines of distortion when playing Megaman 9 and 10 in widescreen).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shelf Adventure posted:

This really depends on the game. Europeans and Japanese 3dses street pass just fine with animal crossing, nintendogs and Mario 3d land (I think.)

Yeah I have a N.A. 3DS and have Streetpassed Animal Crossing, Resident Evil Boat, Tom Clancy Whatever, and probably a couple more with Japanese 3DS's. Honestly it seems like every game I have supports it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah I turned on my 3DS this morning and my ambassador Super Mario Bros. had disappeared, what the hell Nintendo.

Oh wait no it's still there and I still didn't pay for it so other people being able to buy it or redeem Club Nintendo credit for it doesn't affect me in any way just like it didn't when it was first added to the eShop for regular sale.

I'll tell you how it affects me :colbert:

It reminds me that old video games were really hard. I spent about half an hour last night being bad at Zelda and feeling bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo JP dudes, there are demos for both the WU and 3DS version of Sonic Lost World on the eShop right now. I guess the rest of the world can expect 'em in time for xmas 2015.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Am I the only person who has the Club Nintendo website showing my the August games of the month and the Fire Emblem + SMT4 deal?

Is there an NA Club Nintendo deal for Pokemon?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Assorted eShop news:

-Does anyone remember VD-DEV, the European demoscene dudes who COP: The Recruit for DS and a bunch of GBA games (V-Rally, that one 3D Asterix game, Driver?)? No? Well, they're teasing an upcoming 3DS eShop game called IronFall; they're gonna do an official reveal in a week or two, but we do know it'll be a third-person shooter that'll "push the 3DS to its limits". Let's hope it's actually fun, it seems like these demoscene games rarely are.

-NOA has Mighty Switch Force! 2 listed for release on the Wii U eShop next week; unlike MSF:HD, it's a fairly straight port, they didn't redo the visuals or add extra content, as far as I know.

-Yoshi's Cookie is being pulled from the JP/PAL Wii VC on October 11, so if you have any fondness for this game you might wanna buy it before it becomes unavailable. (I'd imagine it'll be pulled from the NA VC, too, but I haven't seen an announcement.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Assorted eShop news:

-Yoshi's Cookie is being pulled from the JP/PAL Wii VC on October 11, so if you have any fondness for this game you might wanna buy it before it becomes unavailable. (I'd imagine it'll be pulled from the NA VC, too, but I haven't seen an announcement.)

Buy now, I believe Donkey Kong Country was also pulled from the US shop very suddenly without warning while its removal was announced elsewhere.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm kind of confused as to why Yoshi's Cookie would be pulled. Doesn't make much sense. Does Nintendo not own the actual gameplay mechanics or something dumb like that?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm kind of confused as to why Yoshi's Cookie would be pulled. Doesn't make much sense. Does Nintendo not own the actual gameplay mechanics or something dumb like that?

It was developed by Bullet-Proof Software, aka Henk Rogers, so maybe they had to negotiate with him to release it in the first place, who knows.

They still haven't explained why they pulled the DKC games, after all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe they worked out some kind of timed release with Rare, figuring after X years no one would care about DKC on the VC. Or maybe they were going to be available on DKC Returns but this didn't pan out. Or they wanted to avoid confusion or seeming redundant with DKC games so this way the Returns games ARE the series, so Rare is never mentioned again even in fleeting release information.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 10, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Does anyone remember VD-DEV, the European demoscene dudes who COP: The Recruit for DS and a bunch of GBA games (V-Rally, that one 3D Asterix game, Driver?)? No? Well, they're teasing an upcoming 3DS eShop game called IronFall; they're gonna do an official reveal in a week or two, but we do know it'll be a third-person shooter that'll "push the 3DS to its limits". Let's hope it's actually fun, it seems like these demoscene games rarely are.
Yes I remember and played through all these games, I think V-Rally might've been the most fun but they were all decent games with impressive graphics.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what their new game looks like because it's guaranteed to be some of the best graphics on 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 10):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Golf (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Tennis (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until November 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon X & Y (October 12) - €44.99 / £39.99
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - €34.99 / £29.99
    Hot Wheels World's Best Drive - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP
    Block Factory - €2.79 / £2.49 (permanent price reduction)
    Viking Invasion 2: Tower Defence - €6.99 / £6.29 (permanent price reduction)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until October 17
    3D Game Collection (3DS) - €2.00 / £2.00 until October 25
    3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop) - €2.00 / £2.00 until October 25
    Gardenscapes (3DS) - €2.00 / £2.00 until October 25
    Murder On The Titanic (3DS) - €2.00 / £2.00 until October 25
    Tangram Style (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until October 31
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until November 10

NA update (week of October 10):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Golf (NES) - $4.99
    Tennis (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon X & Y (October 12) - $39.99
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - $29.99
    Cooking Mama 4 - $19.99
3DS eSHOP
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D - $5.99
    Escape from Zombie City - $3.99
    Super Black Bass 3D - $?
DSiWARE
    Zombie Blaster - ?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $39.99 until October 14
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Super Mario Kart (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until November 3
    The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until November 3
    Thruspace (WiiWare) - 150 Coins, available until November 3
    Touch Solitaire (DSiWare) - 100 Coins, available until November 3

As always, if I'm missing anything essential from the NA update, let me know. NOA's PR has a lot of blind spots.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Wow, Overclocked for full price? I bought my copy off Amazon for $25 months ago. It's a great game but at most it should've been $30. People should pick it up if it ever drops in price.

Now if only they'd add Strange Journey (or any other DS games for that matter).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neo Rasa posted:

Buy now, I believe Donkey Kong Country was also pulled from the US shop very suddenly without warning while its removal was announced elsewhere.

Yeah, but... Yoshi's Cookie. I got this game for free and I haven't played it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Astro7x posted:

Are you thinking of the game Yoshi? Given out to 3DS ambassadors?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Astro7x posted:

Yoshi's Cookie is actually a great puzzle game.

You're probably thinking of Yoshi, which is not a good puzzle game.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yoshi's Cookie is actually a great puzzle game.

You're probably thinking of Yoshi, which is not a good puzzle game.

HEY YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Yoshi is... Yoshi is... a kind of okay game. :(

I had it as a kid and played it a ton nostalgia maaan. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The T posted:

HEY YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Yoshi is... Yoshi is... a kind of okay game. :(

I had it as a kid and played it a ton nostalgia maaan. :smith:

I'm a huge fan of NES-era puzzle games, and the biggest problem I have with Yoshi is that it came out after both Tetris and Dr. Mario were released. As far as falling block puzzle games go, it was kind of disappointing by comparison. I would be a lot more forgiving of it had it been released before those two came out.

That being said, I did buy it on the Wii U during that thirty cent promotion. And I own a physical copy of the game for my NES collection.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Machine posted:

Wow, Overclocked for full price? I bought my copy off Amazon for $25 months ago. It's a great game but at most it should've been $30. People should pick it up if it ever drops in price.

Now if only they'd add Strange Journey (or any other DS games for that matter).

Wait, for real? Here in Mexico is coming at around $30 on the eShop

The fact that they decided to release DeSu on the eShop has me curious, though: Is SEGA planning something with regards to the MegaTen franchise? Like, is this an experiment of sorts to see if the games truly have an established market here.

Maybe I'm looking into things way too much and it was just an :effort: sort of release.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Wark Say posted:

The fact that they decided to release DeSu on the eShop has me curious, though: Is SEGA planning something with regards to the MegaTen franchise? Like, is this an experiment of sorts to see if the games truly have an established market here.

Sega Sammy doesn't own Atlus yet, that happens Nov 1. Anyways, e-shop releases are planned way in advance even if its just a retail 3ds game getting thrown up.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Rhythm Thief and Street Fighter are also recent additions to the eShop despite being older games, so I don't think there's too much to it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

vkeios posted:

Anyways, e-shop releases are planned way in advance even if its just a retail 3ds game getting thrown up.
I don't think that is true, or at least isn't true for all territories - Bravely Default got thrown on the Japanese e-shop without any warning because the first shipment sold out whippet fast.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The US Wii eShop is saying Yoshi's Cookie is being taken down on the morning of the 18th.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus just promoted Devil Survivor Overclocked at $30 (probably $29.99) on twitter.

E: It is indeed $29.99

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 11, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Okay $30 is a more reasonable price for a game that old. And as I said before, it's a great game!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's the deal with Bravely Default USA?

Is it a thing? Or just wishful thinking?
I haven't really kept up with it so I don't even know if it turned out well.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOcMXcsojI

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

We're getting Bravely Default: For The Sequel, which is effectively the "Final Mix/International" version of BD with a bunch of fixes and updates. That is probably the reason why it has taken so long to come out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

We're getting Bravely Default: For The Sequel, which is effectively the "Final Mix/International" version of BD with a bunch of fixes and updates. That is probably the reason why it has taken so long to come out.

What's the time frame on that?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Toki Tori 2 owners, the devs have officially put the level editor on hold - they weren't able to secure cross-platform Steam/WU sharing at the last minute, and they don't think it's worth adding without that feature, but they are offering copies of the PC game to anyone who feels ripped off:

http://twotribes.com/message/wii-u-level-editor-on-ice/

Annath posted:

It's coming, but it's not out yet and it may not even be dated, I forget. It's out everywhere else in December, I wanna say it'll be out in NA in January.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Is there any reason why they took the Commodore 64 games off the Wii Shop entirely?

I mean, not that there was really anything noteworthy that was released (Not in the US at least.) but it seems kind of strange to just remove something like that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Is there any reason why they took the Commodore 64 games off the Wii Shop entirely?

I mean, not that there was really anything noteworthy that was released (Not in the US at least.) but it seems kind of strange to just remove something like that.

Licensing issues, perhaps. Some companies like to hoard game copyrights and then license them. I guess some... disagreements developed between some entities and Nintendo.

A pity, a C64-emulator would have been a killer app in Europe.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

NOOOO
I thought I read that Yoshi's Cookie would be removed on the 18th. Here I am looking through the eShop, wanting to grab it before it's gone...but it's too late. Gah this is annoying, I never played it before and was curious. My own fault, I guess.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rexroom posted:

Licensing issues, perhaps. Some companies like to hoard game copyrights and then license them. I guess some... disagreements developed between some entities and Nintendo.

A pity, a C64-emulator would have been a killer app in Europe.

Looks to me that Commodore themselves published the games in the US at least. So maybe they just had a timed license that expired after four years.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I'm hoping to download the new pokemon game, it releases on the 12th. My question is do new releases come online at midnight on the release day? And will there be any issues downloading it, like is there lag the eshop is notorious for? Thank you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I'm hoping to download the new pokemon game, it releases on the 12th. My question is do new releases come online at midnight on the release day? And will there be any issues downloading it, like is there lag the eshop is notorious for? Thank you. :)

Midnight releases are usually only for bigger games (pokemon is one of those) and yes midnight is 12:01AM on release day Eastern time. If you're in the west that means 9pm friday. You might need to manually go to its page, it might not be on the front page immediately. I've never had any issue downloading right at release, aside from usual somewhat slow download times of large games on the 3ds. That said Pokemon is a worldwide release that's probably the biggest the eshop has ever seen, so who knows.