Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Repo Man posted:

Could someone who speaks better Japanese than me help me with something (so...most of you)? In the season finale, Eren says something like "I'll kill the titans...I'll kill all the titans!" I have poor hearing, so I can't make out the Japanese he is using. I can understand 巨人を殺せ...(???)の殺せ!! (Kyojin wo korose...(???) no korose!!) It sounds like Ippiki or Inppiki. Is he saying something closer to "I'll kill the titans...I'll be the #1 titan killer!!" or what?

I don't have the episode on me, but from what you said it's probably some variation on "(kyojintachi wo) ippiki nokorazu (kuchiku shiteyaru)" which is sort of like Eren's catchphrase by now. It's basically "I'm gonna kill all the titans" which should come to no surprise since roughly half of whatever comes out of Eren's mouth at any given time translates to that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

AnonSpore posted:

I don't have the episode on me, but from what you said it's probably some variation on "(kyojintachi wo) ippiki nokorazu (kuchiku shiteyaru)" which is sort of like Eren's catchphrase by now. It's basically "I'm gonna kill all the titans" which should come to no surprise since roughly half of whatever comes out of Eren's mouth at any given time translates to that anyway.

Thanks. The ippiki part is what confuses me, because I only know it as a counter.

Eej posted:

Boy your friend's gonna have egg on his face once they start the next season.

That's kind of what I figure. He's usually better than me at reading into subtext and looking beyond minor faults in a series, but not this one. I think maybe it was built up way too much for him, so he was expecting far more than he got. He knows a couple people who don't like anime who are really into Attack on Titan. As far as I know, they have been badgering him since the series hit around episode 10 to watch it.

So far I'm getting the vibe that they might wait until the manga gets further ahead until they start the next season. I haven't been following the manga at all, since I started the anime first, but I hope they don't diverge too much. Isayama seems to be competent in what he is doing, so I would rather see an animated version of his story as opposed to Production I.G. having to wing an ending.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Repo Man posted:

Thanks. The ippiki part is what confuses me, because I only know it as a counter.

It is a counter. Roughly, ippiki means one, nokoru means leave out, modifying it with the -zu makes it a negative. He's saying he's gonna kill all the titans, every single one, not one titan left unkilled.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

That's kind of what I figure. He's usually better than me at reading into subtext and looking beyond minor faults in a series, but not this one. I think maybe it was built up way too much for him, so he was expecting far more than he got. He knows a couple people who don't like anime who are really into Attack on Titan. As far as I know, they have been badgering him since the series hit around episode 10 to watch it.

So far I'm getting the vibe that they might wait until the manga gets further ahead until they start the next season. I haven't been following the manga at all, since I started the anime first, but I hope they don't diverge too much. Isayama seems to be competent in what he is doing, so I would rather see an animated version of his story as opposed to Production I.G. having to wing an ending.

They could do a 13 episode season probably next year and stop at ~chapter 50.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm not sure what your friend means by the series being too predictable unless this is an opinion he shares for a substantially large amount of content out there. I found the series thus far to be about as predictable as most anime that I have watched. While I have definitely seen other series where the twists and complexity of the plot were far more vast, those have been the exceptions and not the rule for me.

But hey! To each their own I guess. You might be right that it was hyped up too much for him to enjoy. I sometimes find that seeing a series for the second time is much more enjoyable when that happens since that takes away anything in your imagination that you built up which turned out to be not true.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AnonSpore posted:

It is a counter. Roughly, ippiki means one, nokoru means leave out, modifying it with the -zu makes it a negative. He's saying he's gonna kill all the titans, every single one, not one titan left unkilled.

It's also a counter for small, insignificant things, IIRC. Like bugs.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Listen to Eren's, Connie's, and (only once) Mikasa's VA make fun of themselves singing to the first opening theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQhJUW-Ehg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkemhAc-98

HO! HO! HO! HO!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Repo Man posted:

From his perspective, Attack on Titan is, at best, mediocre.
It started strong, but this is my feeling as well (I haven't read the manga).
I'm not a fan of them injecting so much filler into the show even though it's inevitable due to the manga's progress.

If the show had started after the manga was near completion or decided to branch off (like Fullmetal Alchemist) then I might have had a better opinion of it.

EDIT: My thoughts boiled down to:
+Great premise.
+Excellent early shocker with Eren getting eaten.
+A handful of high-budget titan fight scenes.

-Tons of down-time where nothing happens because they need to stretch for time or budget.
-Lots of characters that look alike due to the art style or barely get any screentime (and I'm supposed to care about them).
-The initial trip to Eren's basement was a failure (yeah, I know it was to lure out the female titan, but it's an unsatisfying end to the first run of episodes).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 9, 2013

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

HelloWinter posted:

Listen to Eren's, Connie's, and (only once) Mikasa's VA make fun of themselves singing to the first opening theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQhJUW-Ehg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkemhAc-98

HO! HO! HO! HO!

Wow, Japanese people are real people just like us!!!

I love seeing people involved with a project engaged with it on a personal level. I'd like to hear the cast of firefly sing the theme to that.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 9, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

The Repo Man posted:

One of his biggest complaints was that the series was too predictable for him.

He's sort of right! Until the end of season 1, which is where Isayama starts blindsiding you and never stops.

JazzFlight posted:

-The initial trip to Eren's basement was a failure (yeah, I know it was to lure out the female titan, but it's an unsatisfying end to the first run of episodes).

Red herring status: bitten :ssh:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JazzFlight posted:

It started strong, but this is my feeling as well (I haven't read the manga).
I'm not a fan of them injecting so much filler into the show even though it's inevitable due to the manga's progress.

If the show had started after the manga was near completion or decided to branch off (like Fullmetal Alchemist) then I might have had a better opinion of it.

+Great premise.

-Tons of down-time where nothing happens because they need to stretch for time or budget.
-Lots of characters that look alike due to the art style or barely get any screentime (and I'm supposed to care about them).

You might be dissapointed to know that the filler boils down to roughly a single episode and a bit's worth or time. Everything else in the anime is also in the manga. It's a pretty faithful adaptation.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Kokoro Wish posted:

You might be dissapointed to know that the filler boils down to roughly a single episode and a bit's worth or time. Everything else in the anime is also in the manga. It's a pretty faithful adaptation.

They very easily could have sped up some segments. The pacing was a lot slower than it needed to be.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Oh I agree, but it seems anime scheduling is kind of schizophrenic. You either get 13 episodes to cram all of your poo poo into, or 25 episodes to fill with panning shots, extended conversations and other time wasters. Given that they had 25, they're lucky there was enough actual story content that filler was kept to a minimum.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Mighty Dicktron posted:

They very easily could have sped up some segments. The pacing was a lot slower than it needed to be.

This was really my only big complaint. I know they are staying faithful to the manga, but figuring out a way to speed along some of this information would have been nice. They probably wanted to try to build suspense, but it ended up feeling overly drawn out in parts. What works in print doesn't always work in animation. Honestly though, I would rather have episodes like that than straight up filler episodes, or letting the shows director go nuts and come up with some things that might feel out of place.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's also a counter for small, insignificant things, IIRC. Like bugs.

When Eren used ippiki, this is why it confused me, because I only know it as a counter for small animals. I'm pretty bad at making connections, so I hadn't thought that he was referring to the titans as insignificant. It makes a lot more sense when he says it in episode 25. Thanks!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watched the series after most of it was out so I didn't experience any lulls in the progression of the story or whatever. I also didn't find it predictable at all but then this is like the fifth anime series I've ever watched so I might not recognize the tropes

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The thing is that the action scenes, plot bits, and basically most of AoT is so fast paced and great that devoting two or three episodes in a row to flashbacks and characters debating what to do is a big downer, specially since AoT isn't that good at making compelling characters until waaay into manga-only territory. It seriously made me enjoy the show a lot less for like a whole month. All this is solved after Trost though, even if they don't get to the basement, it never slows down until the end after that.

With that said, I think a lot of people are drawn by the zombie apocalypse-esque setting and just want to see characters die all the time just for shock value and call bullshit when key characters survive against all odds.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JazzFlight posted:

+Great premise.

What, no complaints about the constant flashbacks and five-minute recaps and anime-only filler resulting in an unsatisfying conclusion?

You know, something where the studio might actually be at fault?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 10, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jackard posted:

What, no complaints about the constant flashbacks and five-minute recaps?

You know, something where the studio might actually be at fault?

The studio can be at fault for the writing too :ssh:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TK-31 posted:

The thing is that the action scenes, plot bits, and basically most of AoT is so fast paced and great that devoting two or three episodes in a row to flashbacks and characters debating what to do is a big downer, specially since AoT isn't that good at making compelling characters until waaay into manga-only territory. It seriously made me enjoy the show a lot less for like a whole month. All this is solved after Trost though, even if they don't get to the basement, it never slows down until the end after that.

To each their own, but I can't say that I agree with any of this. It is true that AoT is fast paced for much of the series, but I highly appreciated the episodes and scenes where things slowed down to explain stuff and provide insight about the thoughts of the characters. While that sort of thing can be done poorly by including too much at once, I felt that they balanced it very well in AoT. It made me appreciate the plot and the characters a lot more than I would have if that content was sped up or omitted.

However, while I think the content itself was wonderful, the method which the viewer chooses to consume it has an impact. Most people here have been treating AoT as episodic content with a single episode being released and watched once a week. I have opted not to do that. Instead, I watched 2-3 episodes at a time. This is a choice I made just after watching the first three episodes of AoT and learned more about what kind of a show it is and the pacing they chose to take. What this meant for me is that I was able to appreciate what the slower parts offered without feeling let down by a lack of action or significant plot development since the series very rarely felt as if that sort of pacing lasted any longer than two episodes in a row at any time.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 10, 2013

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Has the second season been confirmed yet?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Azubah posted:

Has the second season been confirmed yet?

Nope.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
We're supposed to get an OVA in December.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I watched the whole series in three days, and the only complaints I have were the constant flashbacks and never-ending internal monologues. and three-dimensional maneuver gear

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Please waste 1 minutes and 33 seconds of your life watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDzKZoh1K8

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bisensual posted:

Please waste 1 minutes and 33 seconds of your life watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDzKZoh1K8
It still amazes me that I am part of an entire generation that got introduced to Christopher Walken through the original "Weapon of Choice" music video.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

To each their own, but I can't say that I agree with any of this. It is true that AoT is fast paced for much of the series, but I highly appreciated the episodes and scenes where things slowed down to explain stuff and provide insight about the thoughts of the characters. While that sort of thing can be done poorly by including too much at once, I felt that they balanced it very well in AoT. It made me appreciate the plot and the characters a lot more than I would have if that content was sped up or omitted.

However, while I think the content itself was wonderful, the method which the viewer chooses to consume it has an impact. Most people here have been treating AoT as episodic content with a single episode being released and watched once a week. I have opted not to do that. Instead, I watched 2-3 episodes at a time. This is a choice I made just after watching the first three episodes of AoT and learned more about what kind of a show it is and the pacing they chose to take. What this meant for me is that I was able to appreciate what the slower parts offered without feeling let down by a lack of action or significant plot development since the series very rarely felt as if that sort of pacing lasted any longer than two episodes in a row at any time.

That's great, because it means that a lot of these issues were ultimately just another factor of them trying to find their way while making this show, and watching it on DVD will be a significantly better experience. That goes perfectly with the animators actually having time to, you know, animate the show too.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

AradoBalanga posted:

It still amazes me that I am part of an entire generation that got introduced to Christopher Walken through the original "Weapon of Choice" music video.

Really? That's kind of mind boggling to me. Like... it was a big deal to the rest of us BECAUSE it was Christopher Walken dancing in a kind of goofy music video. I can't imagine what it would have been like without that context.

TK-31 posted:

That's great, because it means that a lot of these issues were ultimately just another factor of them trying to find their way while making this show, and watching it on DVD will be a significantly better experience. That goes perfectly with the animators actually having time to, you know, animate the show too.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to episode 21 without the really laughable bits (I laugh every time I see him running at the camera just before the mid-episode break) or insert-scene-here moments like "shaky sky cam with sound effects."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Backslap posted:

Really? That's kind of mind boggling to me. Like... it was a big deal to the rest of us BECAUSE it was Christopher Walken dancing in a kind of goofy music video. I can't imagine what it would have been like without that context.
All I knew at the time was that it was a well-known actor (thanks to the news media of the time) dancing in a silly music video. Didn't really know much about Walken until much later; like, 5 or 6 years after the music video came out was when I finally saw "Pulp Fiction" for the first time.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Captain Backslap posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to episode 21 without the really laughable bits (I laugh every time I see him running at the camera just before the mid-episode break) or insert-scene-here moments like "shaky sky cam with sound effects."

I'm hoping they do some audio tweaks, mostly in the department of Eren and the female titan. Japan has this weird problem of not being able to make things sound as big as they are. When the titans vocalize, it sounds like a really cheap Audacity effect laid over an actor just going "GRAWR!" really loud.

The shaky cam could go to...that would be great. As bad and prevalent as it is in movies now, shaky cam in animation is so much worse.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I thought the series was great. I hope it gets renewed for a 2nd season. I think I'll buy a Survey Corps sweatshirt :3:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Did your dad watch any of it? Potential hilarious vid material, there.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Backslap posted:

Did your dad watch any of it? Potential hilarious vid material, there.

I could try but I don't know if Baba has patience to read subtitles anymore. Would be funny to film a montage of him doing something to the opening music though...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Housh posted:

I thought the series was great. I hope it gets renewed for a 2nd season. I think I'll buy a Survey Corps sweatshirt :3:

I wish they made Military Police logo merch. I'd rock the unicorn emblem, proclaiming to all the world, "I am a lazy piece of poo poo with a cushy job that entails drinking and playing cards all day while my former peers are being eaten alive on the front lines."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just check TeeCraze.com every day. One daily shirt site or another usually has something related to Attack on Titan.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just popping in to state that I just finished the anime and found it absolutely amazing.

I think what I enjoyed most about this series was the genuine feeling of excitement and triumph I would feel anytime human kind scored any sort of victory. They got beat down so hard that anytime someone escaped from the hands of a titan or the scouts would decimate a titan I would practically cheer aloud.

My favorite episode was The Vanquished. The combination of Levi's "this proves he lived, to me." And Eren breaking down at the sight of another young boy excited to see the scout regiment was honestly pretty moving.

I was pleasantly surprised with Jean's character arc of becoming a stand up dude.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Greetings. I unintentionally channeled my inner super geek and wrote this one day. Figured I’d share it all at once because I was late to the party on this one. A sperged out essay few things about this anime.

My friend kept insisting that I start watching it, took me forever but I finally did, and before I knew it I finished episode 25 and said "aw dammit, it's over?!"

My first thoughts were that this seems pretty original in plot/setting/etc (though I'm not really TOO into the mangaverse so I can't compare to much else). However it does strike me with some similarities with a lot of the other highly successful series. At one point I was certain that this was going to be another softy "work hard powerup" drama, boy was I wrong. Pleasantly, refreshingly wrong.

First, it struck me that most of the characters fail at combat, feel fear and act on it instead of overcoming it, unlike most other stories in this genre. Well I am unfortunately most familiar with Bleach where almost no one dies and can survive vertical slashes, significant losses of body mass, and ghost explosions all day, son.

There is a very strong verisimilitude in AoT despite it being an anime about big-eyed people using impossible technology impossibly and fighting giant mindless human cannibals. The characters just act real to me. Like if this were happening in real life, this is how it would go down. But it still manages to make you gasp and feel inspired and fearful at the same time. Holy gently caress those Titans are creepy as hell.

There's the main character lineup which is pretty standard anymore, in fact, I'd go so far as to call it the formula for successful adolescent fantasy media: The Boy-boy-girl Trifecta. Think about Harry Potter, Naruto, Bleach(kinda), and I'm sure there's another one or two that have the same formula. A few other elements to that formula, the main character has to have a neigh immeasurable/endless hidden power supply or secret ability and has to have a secret tie of some kind to the antagonist or main enemies. There's also the life lessons of people in that age group that end up tied in here or there, although not so much in AoT that I've noticed. It parallels with Naruto in that Eren has his one, single driving goal or desire, but its to murder all the people munching monsters instead of "hokage ni natte".

The best part for me was when Eren was training to use the 3D Gear. They showed Mikasa master it right away, and I thought "they're gonna pan over to Eren and he's gonna be upside down", sure loving enough, there he was. My assumption was that this was going to be another Naruto where the talentless incompetents 'work hard' through everything. Nope, his gear was malfunctioning. Then when it came time to face the Titans, Eren wasn't necessarily fearless, he's just a loving psychopath, in the traditional sense of the word. Just when you think he's going to use his rage to overcome the Titans, NOPE that bitch got ATE. Another parallel to Naruto is Mikasa/Sasuke, both the naturally talented ones of the group who kinda don't give a gently caress about much, family murdered in front of them, except Mikasa clearly cares for Eren.

They touch on Eren being a psycho more than a few times...after all, he did merc those guys who kidnapped Mikasa without hesitation, in fact, he did so with much resolve. During his trial the MP's mention that his "fundamental humanity must be considered" because of that. Again, the verisimilitude in the characters' thoughts, words, and actions. His goal is solely to kill all of the Titans, that is his one true desire, but on the surface it is masked by his desire to go see the world and protect his friends. But you have to wonder, as Captain Levi mentioned, Eren is truly a monster because he will never submit to anyone, is that his true goal? He cannot stand the fact that he is not on the top of the food chain, if you will. Much like the traditional psychopath who must usurp power and control in any situation they are in.

He's like an anime Dexter: closet psychopath with a select few who are in his "pack" that he cares for. In Dexter, he's a serial killer working for an organization that hunts serial killers. In AoT, Eren is a closet Titan working for an organization that hunts Titans.

I also can't help but see the entire anime as an allegory for corporate dominance taking over the world/U.S. I also can't help but think that Isayama is a tad ethnocentric because Mikasa is the only surviving Asian in this world and is apparently one of two competent, accomplished Titan slayers in the world. The only thing that bothered me about the anime is that while my Japanese is lovely, I could spot quite a few moments where it was like "naaahh...that's not what he said" but they still got the point across.

In the end this is a great anime and I'm reluctant to start on the manga, unless we don't get a season 2. It's not set to kiss the rear end and hold the hand of the main characters, it's a cruel world that enjoys loving the main characters over. Instead of always powering up and dramatically winning, its mostly barely winning and getting hurt in the process and losing people. Anime people, even the heroes, get to be powerless victims.

I am quite possibly the biggest dork on the planet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Omglosser posted:

I also can't help but see the entire anime as an allegory for corporate dominance taking over the world/U.S. I also can't help but think that Isayama is a tad ethnocentric because Mikasa is the only surviving Asian in this world and is apparently one of two competent, accomplished Titan slayers in the world. The only thing that bothered me about the anime is that while my Japanese is lovely, I could spot quite a few moments where it was like "naaahh...that's not what he said" but they still got the point across.

This is definitely possible, but considering the walls are an allegory for Japanese isolation and the problems associated with it, this seems very unlikely to me. Plus Mikasa herself is depicted as more than a little unhinged and with severe character flaws, more than a few of which are a result of the trauma she faced.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is definitely possible, but considering the walls are an allegory for Japanese isolation and the problems associated with it, this seems very unlikely to me. Plus Mikasa herself is depicted as more than a little unhinged and with severe character flaws, more than a few of which are a result of the trauma she faced.

Well, if the walls truly are an allegory for Japanese isolation, that would make it more likely in my opinion. If the Titans were to represent let's say consumerism, or, just corporations, it would make sense since Japan was isolated from such Western influences for a very long time. That's just my interpretation anyways. If you're just talking about Mikasa, she is still looked to as like a hero, or a the very least the person who gets poo poo done. I don't know about her character flaws, really, every instance that I've noticed of her she's been the most competent and progressing character in the series. Jean grows up a lot, too but Mikasa is pretty much fearless and a badass.

Is there something out there where the author directly says that the walls are an allegory for Japanese isolation? I'd like to see/read it. It just doesn't seem to add up in my mind, but there's definitely something to that idea.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The omake segments on the newest BD in Japan are strongly Ymir and Christa themed. :3:

These better be on the English releases whenever Funimation gets around to releasing them over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
*Please don't spoil anything, I've only seen the first four episodes*

I heard that the anime ENDED with this first season. Does that mean that I should start reading the manga if I want to get the full storyline?

• Locked thread