Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

carry on then posted:

The Airs pulling that jump off.

Fair enough, that is pretty awesome. I might want to consider getting a Haswell rMBP then because I plan on making my current laptop my only computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said come in! posted:

A 3 hour bump in battery life seems very optimistic. What is making people think this will happen?

The Haswell Air went from 7 to 12 hours. That's 5 hours. The Retina won't get a ULV chip but should still see big gains.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Urgh, I just played with an 11" and I'm really considering it, they feel tiny and there's less real estate on the screen, but I'd be coupling it with an iMac and using that as a base station and dropping work I need to do on the go onto the Air. I really want a rMBP 13", but want and need are two different things, and there's a lot of money between them. Couple of questions for people with the 11": How does the battery life hold up from use with the screen at max brightness, and how well do you think the hardware will hold up to time, I'd like to not even need to worry about it for 3 or so years.

Someone talk me into/out of this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Same thing as the 13" Air, minus the SD card slot.

If you can live with 1366x768 (you have an iMac for heavy lifting) don't hesitate to get the 11". It's pretty spankin' awesome.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Battery and not needing to replace it are the huge things for me. I mean, I could get an rMBP and a PC for less money, but I loving hated having split architectures.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I love the new 13" MBA and I can do most of my work without going crazy on 1440 x 900. Since I move around a lot I chose the 13" over the 11", I don't always have an external display handy.

If they ever replace the thunderbolt display I'll probably snag one of those and be really happy with my setup at home.

Edit: 10.9 now allows me to do a full day of dev work without the battery being drained, pretty awesome.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Personally though I see zero reason for a 13" air over the 13" rMBP, the price difference isn't that huge and once Haswell's on the rMBP battery life should be closer too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ever since the 2010 came out I have gone back and forth between the 13" and 11". Then the 13" Retina came out and I tried that for a while. I'm on a 13" Air right now, I recently sold my 11" because although the form factor is just so convenient I can't really use it for programming without an external monitor.

If the rumor mill is true and the Air ends up getting a 12" Retina with an effective 1280x720 resolution I am going to kill someone at Apple.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Personally though I see zero reason for a 13" air over the 13" rMBP...

You are correct, work had to purchase the MBA two months ago and I couldn't wait for a refresh on the rMBP.

Doesn't matter though, the MBA is just keeping me going until the Mac Pro is out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man if they do release updated rMBPs with better battery life, it'll take all my willpower to buy one release day without selling my old MBP first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Battery and not needing to replace it are the huge things for me. I mean, I could get an rMBP and a PC for less money, but I loving hated having split architectures.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do, and could you elaborate a little more on this? I'm considering a similar setup in the future for some Adobe CC stuff (mostly Photoshop, ID, and Premiere) and I'd like to know if it's gonna be a pain in the rear end. The difference in price/hardware horsepower between a 27" iMac and a self-built PC is super tempting (particularly for Premiere), but I'd still like to have a MBA/rMBP on hand too.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do, and could you elaborate a little more on this? I'm considering a similar setup in the future for some Adobe CC stuff (mostly Photoshop, ID, and Premiere) and I'd like to know if it's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

If Adobe CC accounts for 90% of your work flow you're probably fine mixing OS X and Windows. The only reason someone would dislike mixing the environments is software availability or dev work.

Since Adobe CC works equally well on mac or pc, it does for me, you'll be fine.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do, and could you elaborate a little more on this?

Sure as hell don't program, that's for sure. I mainly make music and crunch rock data, but what I mean is back when I used both a PC and a Macbook there wasn't that much communication between the devices because things could be a pain, and remembering how both worked fluently was annoying. v:shobon:v

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

carry on then posted:

The Airs pulling that jump off.

This, and:

2012 to 2013 air: 17W to 15W CPU
2012 to 2013 rMBP13: 35W to 28W CPU

We don't know that last fact for certain but the 28W Haswell models are what Intel positioned to replace 35W Ivy Bridge and make a ton of sense for the rMBP 13 refresh. So if anything there's even more room for the rMBP to gain battery life just based on CPU specs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And not a huge amount of proof or anything, but there was a leaked MBP Geekbench result with one of those 28W parts.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Of course Mavericks itself is supposed to boost battery life and there is a developing rumor that there may be an IGZO screen offered on the new MPB as both Dell and Fujitsu now have IGZO models. IGZO requires less power, so there would be another boost there. This rumor is most likely the product of wishful thinking, so make of it what you will.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wafflehound, it might also be worth it to note that the 13" rMBP actually has a smaller footprint than the 13" Air.

I personally feel that the key travel on the rMBP is much better than the Air as well.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Wafflehound, it might also be worth it to note that the 13" rMBP actually has a smaller footprint than the 13" Air.

I personally feel that the key travel on the rMBP is much better than the Air as well.

Oh gently caress me, are you serious? I wouldn't be able to afford an iMac and a 13" rMBP though. :negative:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Can anybody share any information/advice about using iMacs as displays for game consoles such as PS3/360 and in the future, PS4?

I had a quick look around Google and general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work, but I've seen people on YouTube hooking games consoles up to their iMacs, and I think I recall one of the moderators for another forum posting pictures of his home setup, which was a 27" iMac with a PS3 connected to it for gaming.

For reference, I'm thinking about using an older iMac 20.5" (or is it 21?) from 2011/2012 (I think) as both a backup computer, and also a monitor for connecting a games console to here on my desk. I'm opting for the smaller iMac since I find that I get motion sickness whenever I try to play games on my 27" iMac since I'm sitting so close to the screen.

As far as I can tell, connecting games consoles to iMacs only seems to be a problem with newer models, but as far as I know I should be fine purchasing a Belkin adapter that will work with older models just fine? Is there any weirdness at all when dealing with resolutions? Does sound come through okay? More importantly, how does it actually work? Since iMacs just have a single power button on the back, presumably an adapter for connecting the computer to the console would have a switch to flick over for whenever I want to play games?

Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of going the smaller iMac route (added benefit of backup computer which is always useful) or just buying a small TV. Any advice and information is much appreciated, thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MUFFlNS posted:

Can anybody share any information/advice about using iMacs as displays for game consoles such as PS3/360 and in the future, PS4?

I had a quick look around Google and general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work, but I've seen people on YouTube hooking games consoles up to their iMacs, and I think I recall one of the moderators for another forum posting pictures of his home setup, which was a 27" iMac with a PS3 connected to it for gaming.
Yeah that's me. It only works with 2010 and 2009 27" iMacs which had standard DisplayPort input. Everything newer than that is ThunderBolt which as far as I know still doesn't have an adapter for HDMI input. It's the reason I've done everything I can to prolong my 27" iMac's life: new display about a month ago, 4TB Fusion Disk setup, 16GB of RAM, etc.

edit: Also the 20.5" can't do it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 11, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah that's me. It only works with 2010 and 2009 27" iMacs which had standard DisplayPort input. Everything newer than that is ThunderBolt which as far as I know still doesn't have an adapter for HDMI input. It's the reason I've done everything I can to prolong my 27" iMac's life: new display about a month ago, 4TB Fusion Disk setup, 16GB of RAM, etc.

edit: Also the 20.5" can't do it.

Can't you still do mini DP in a thunderbolt port?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Can't you still do mini DP in a thunderbolt port?
Not miniDP target display, nope! It can do miniDP output. 27" iMacs really only work as secondary displays for Macs and the rare boutique PC motherboard with ThunderBolt on it, in which case you're forced to use the onboard graphics.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not miniDP target display, nope! It can do miniDP output. 27" iMacs really only work as secondary displays for Macs and the rare boutique PC motherboard with ThunderBolt on it, in which case you're forced to use the onboard graphics.
I think I remember reading that you can do some voodoo with Virtu if you've got an Intel CPU that supports it to get the video card to do all the actual work and just pipe the output through the thunderbolt port on the motherboard. Of course, I've never actually seen a PC with a thunderbolt port, soooo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh gently caress me, are you serious? I wouldn't be able to afford an iMac and a 13" rMBP though. :negative:

What about a rMBP 13 and a Thunderbolt Display? Or do the equivalent on the cheap with a non-Apple monitor and one of the Thunderbolt docking stations. Or do it even cheaper by skipping thunderbolt.

You don't sound like a user who needs a quadcore CPU or a discrete GPU. If so, there's not much reason to buy an extra Mac integrated into the back of the large display you want on your desk. The rMBP 13 should be plenty fast. If you need more storage on your desk, just hang a large USB3 disk off the dock (or USB3 hub or whatever).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 13" Pro is the #3 best-selling laptop on Amazon. #1 and #2 are Chromebooks and the rest are $300-$400 Windows laptops and the 13" Air.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Laptop/zgbs/pc/565108

I'd like to see numbers from Apple but that would lead me to believe they are not discontinuing the regular Pro anytime soon.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The 13" Pro is the #3 best-selling laptop on Amazon. #1 and #2 are Chromebooks and the rest are $300-$400 Windows laptops and the 13" Air.

I'd like to see numbers from Apple but that would lead me to believe they are not discontinuing the regular Pro anytime soon.

Considering students get them at $200 off I'm not surprised.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Considering students get them at $200 off I'm not surprised.

You can do Student Discounts at Amazon now?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

You can do Student Discounts at Amazon now?

No idea, but I was using Amazon as more of a ruler as to what devices seem popular.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Amazon is pretty popular for buying non-BTO macs in states where they don't collect sales tax. Amazon's price usually beats edu pricing too.

I suspect that skews things a little

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

No idea, but I was using Amazon as more of a ruler as to what devices seem popular.

Yeah but they wouldn't be popular for student discount reasons on Amazon if you couldn't get your discount there because students would go to the Apple store.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

I think I remember reading that you can do some voodoo with Virtu if you've got an Intel CPU that supports it to get the video card to do all the actual work and just pipe the output through the thunderbolt port on the motherboard. Of course, I've never actually seen a PC with a thunderbolt port, soooo
Yeah I remember that too, and PCs with TB exist! Or at least motherboards. That still doesn't take care of non PC devices though, unless you're using the PC with a video capture thing and displaying live I guess, hopefully with minimal lag for games.

Bob Morales posted:

Who knows, it depends why people are buying, plus the MBA isn't that far back, and the retina 13" could add a lower price config when it gets updated for all we know.

On the Amazon sales side note, it seems like the Mac mini has been perpetually #1 in desktops there.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Our store sells more 13" pros than any other machine, with the 13" air coming in second. There are a lot of people who really don't want to let go of their built-in optical drives.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Here's to hoping that the MBAs and iPad Minis get refreshed to Retina. I can't stand looking at non-retina devices yet, and I've been holding out...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dexter6 posted:

Here's to hoping that the MBAs and iPad Minis get refreshed to Retina. I can't stand looking at non-retina devices yet, and I've been holding out...
MBA was just updated, so you'll be waiting until next year at the earliest.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

empty baggie posted:

Our store sells more 13" pros than any other machine, with the 13" air coming in second. There are a lot of people who really don't want to let go of their built-in optical drives.

There are hardly any use cases for them anymore, so I'd doubt that they are a big draw nowadays. And people who are really into disk-based movies (like me) would get Blu-rays, which those drives can't read. What I regard as valid points is being able to install more a bigger hard drive and more memory. It's just the most bang for the buck.

That's what also amused me so much about endless analyses and contrived justifications about why people bought the Wii: It was simply the cheapest of the three consoles.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flavor posted:

There are hardly any use cases for them anymore, so I'd doubt that they are a big draw nowadays. And people who are really into disk-based movies (like me) would get Blu-rays, which those drives can't read. What I regard as valid points is being able to install more a bigger hard drive and more memory. It's just the most bang for the buck.

That's what also amused me so much about endless analyses and contrived justifications about why people bought the Wii: It was simply the cheapest of the three consoles.

That's closed minded. Lots of people still need to use disc based drives for a bunch of things other than watching movies. A friend of mine burns discs quite a bit and loves how it is built into the computer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Serious question, what do people burn discs for now? 4.5GB seems like such a limited size that you could either send it over the internet or put it on a flash drive.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

:eng101: SA CD swap threads. Literally the only reason to still have an optical drive

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Caged posted:

Serious question, what do people burn discs for now? 4.5GB seems like such a limited size that you could either send it over the internet or put it on a flash drive.

My buddy uses it for when he teaches music and also for his band. While I admit it's becoming less important, there's a reason why it's still an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

4.5GB is pretty big when you have a T1 at work and lovely DSL at home.