Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

gargamale posted:

Recently scored a 90s Samick SG-450 by trading my Orange Micro terror + 8" cab. It is an amazing guitar and from everything I've read about the Artist Series Samicks I'm not the only one to enjoy the quality of this instrument. The neck feels like my bandmate's luthier-made SG or his Gibson Les Paul. I am in still in awe I got this thing for such a steal, plus it's white!

http://imgur.com/0Ofts8A,UCcAzCd

I have a Samick that I got in the 90s. It's made of plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
I'm confused where is all the outboard gear? Referring to the studio obviously.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So for over a decade I've been a bass player that didn't own a bass, yet owned 4 crappy guitars and one nice one. Earlier this year I cleaned house, so to speak, and sold everything other than my Alvarez 12-string, then turned around and picked up a mexi strat off a college kid in town. Still in total love with that guitar. I really want Santa to replace all the pickups, but man I had no clue what a raging love I had for a plain old strat.

But I'd been quietly jonesing for a bass, and missing my old one (a 1990 Peavy DynaBass Koa). In a bizarre turn a week ago I managed to find a couple of them online and got permission from the mrs to go take a look, as one of them was at the local GuitarCenter. I was psyched, as this was the instrument that took me through hundreds of hours of rehearsals and performances with various jazz ensembles in college.

Got there, hooked it up, was able to immediately dial up my old tone on the preamp and... I hated it. I was so confused. Wasn't the bass... it was playing exactly as remembered, but it was like my ears had moved on. I actively HATED the thing.

So... put that back on the wall, pulled down a Fender P and J, which both sounded fantastic, but both quite heavy (bad back), and well out of my price range (wanting to do the bass on sort of a budget). I picked up a Yamaha BXR170 and loved the tones on it, especially for a 200 dollar bass, but I put it down and took one last look at the rest of the used offerings.

Then I saw this:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/bass/Omen-Extreme-4.aspx

Vintage sunburst, immaculate condition. Pulled it down, plugged it in and fell in love. Fabulous preamp on the thing. In full neutral positions on the balance, bass, treble, it has this wonderful full, yet biting tone. Start messing with the dials and I was pulling in about any tone I wanted. And it played like a dream.

Store rep told me a guy came in, bought it, took it home and gigged it once that night and hated it. Then promptly forgot to bring it back in the 30 day return window, so had to trade it when he finally remembered. I got them to knock a bit more off the used price and walked out with it. It looks completely new. Threw some new nickel-wounds on it night before last and did a full setup on it. It's just stellar.

Now if only my chops would come back. My wrists are hating life right now. So out of shape. :)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Those Omen-Extreme 4s are dramatically underpriced, even brand new. I had one for several months and only got rid of it to fund my Mustang and I still won't argue that it's the superior instrument as far as tone, versatility, construction quality.

I do wish mine was the black cherry. What a nice color.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Revvik posted:

Those Omen-Extreme 4s are dramatically underpriced, even brand new. I had one for several months and only got rid of it to fund my Mustang and I still won't argue that it's the superior instrument as far as tone, versatility, construction quality.

I do wish mine was the black cherry. What a nice color.

I agree. The more I play it and look it over the more I can't fathom how Schecter pulls that model off at that price, even new. I'd seriously never played a mahogany bass prior to this one in the store. Just alder and my old neck-through koa. This thing, you can FEEL the low E string reverberating through the body, all the way up through 12th fret. It was a tactile sensation I picked up on right away, and once plugged in, with that active setup, you can draw some thunder down.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah you can tell a quality bass if you can feel it in your nutsack/ovaries unplugged.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Goddammit, now you fuckers are making me want a bass.

I don't even PLAY bass.

I'm not even that good at the instruments I DO have!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You buy a bass. You get a sansamp vt bass pedal. It is known.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Good god that thing is huge!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

You buy a bass. You get a sansamp vt bass pedal. It is known.
It is known.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

It is known.

I've basically stopped letting bass players use their amps on sessions. There's no point, that pedal sounds so drat good and when you put it in through a good quality DI it just kills. It can take a bit of time to dial in the appropriate tone but nowhere near as long as setting up an amp, dialing in a tone and mic'ing it up.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

fenix down posted:

Good god that thing is huge!

Lol, you may be joking, but the pedal is definitely on a table or stand, while his feet are on the floor.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

renderful posted:

Lol, you may be joking, but the pedal is definitely on a table or stand, while his feet are on the floor.
Haha yup, it's on a countertop.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

I've basically stopped letting bass players use their amps on sessions. There's no point, that pedal sounds so drat good and when you put it in through a good quality DI it just kills. It can take a bit of time to dial in the appropriate tone but nowhere near as long as setting up an amp, dialing in a tone and mic'ing it up.

The mid sweep is the key to why it's so useful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are those pedals worth it as a, well, pedal? I always hear about how great they are but no one goes into detail about how it plays with amps.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Definitely. The newer version has a speaker emulation bypass if you want more of a preamp sound.

silverhawk79
Jan 18, 2012
Got myself one of these, and it's already proving invaluable for recording. I like that it works with literally anything that has a standard output.

Also picked this up for cheap ($160) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are those pedals worth it as a, well, pedal? I always hear about how great they are but no one goes into detail about how it plays with amps.

I'll use it on guitar occasionally too, not for dirt, as it sounds terrible for guitar but it works great as clean boost for solos.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been soldering this weekend...

Needed a set of cables from a DJ mixer to a couple of powered monitors.

And then the fun stuff, a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice tops slowly under construction.

This is a cross-firing tweeter array consisting of 12 individual tweets. Took ages to make these. There's one of these arrays per cabinet.

A couple of filters for the midbass and tweets, a pair of these per cabinet.

And the cabinets themselves.

Painted, sanded back to be filled...

They've taken a while, I already have a pair with cheapo drivers and tweets and they sound immense, these have the top end tweeters and drivers so I'm expecting them to sound lovely.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Haven't posted anything here for a while, music got on the back burner, but I just got this pic from Tom at Oakland Axe Factory:

The HSH Ionizer set has been installed, and AFAIK the sealant on the neck is gonna be done soon if it isn't already. I'm psyched to get this back, especially with some non-prototype pickups this time!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The 70's say "Sup?" :mmmsmug:

Vintage modified Squier jbass for $75(!) in front of a previously bought Kustom kb-250-2

For $75 I'm pretty sure I used up all my music gear karma for a next while. The thing still had the plastic on the pickguard when I picked it up. It plays pretty well, in my opinion. Then again, I'm not a bassist, so what do I know. Whatever, I'm super happy with the purchase.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 7, 2013

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
This is sort of "gear", sort of "DIY", but to me sort of "awesome".

The guitar amp I use at home is a little Fender Mustang I. I love it.

The bass amp I use at home is my 26-year-old Peavey Minx. I tolerate it (but it sounds a shitload better on my new Schecter than my old bass).

The former is a light, nice looking little amp, the latter is a beast that you could anchor a boat with and is ugly as hell.

In our house the formal living room is also the music room (where the piano lives), and I would prefer that my guitar and bass gear hide in the room somehow. This is also the room that my ancient RCA Victrola sits in, so my thought was to hide both amps in what would appear to be a single cabinet that hopefully has a music theme to it.

This morning I located a 40 inch Olympic console stereo cabinet in the area that is gutted other than the control panel. No turntable, tube amp stage is gone, everything cleaned out. However, the cabinet is perfect. Hopefully this thing will be in the back of my car tomorrow on the way to my house. If so, my winter project just got a massive kick in the rear end. Gut both the Mustang and the Minx, re-wire their controls either behind the current tuner panel in the console, or just replace the tuner panel, then reinforce the area under that panel to house a 12 inch driver for the guitar in one chamber and a 12-inch and tweet for the bass in the other chamber. Save the entire left side to hold accessories and sheet music.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Anyone played on a Bugera V22? http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUGV22

How does it compare to a Fender Blues JR? I'm in the market for an amp this price range and size, and the Bugera seems like a pretty killer deal for a brand new amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

JD posted:

Anyone played on a Bugera V22? http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUGV22

How does it compare to a Fender Blues JR? I'm in the market for an amp this price range and size, and the Bugera seems like a pretty killer deal for a brand new amp.

The V22 is a good sounding amp but everyone I know who's played one has had it break down at one point or another. Could be a QC thing, though. For all I know they might've fixed it. You could also look into Jet City amps or Blackheart but go out and play them (all three brands are readily available in guitar stores).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

The V22 is a good sounding amp but everyone I know who's played one has had it break down at one point or another. Could be a QC thing, though. For all I know they might've fixed it. You could also look into Jet City amps or Blackheart but go out and play them (all three brands are readily available in guitar stores).
Dude who sat in with us last night had a small Jet City (I'll assume it was their entry level) head on a matching 1x12 cab and holy hell it sounded fantastic.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

120 watts of pure hideously ugly Peavey tweakable goodness along the lines of a weird hotrodded JCM800.

I am so excited to pick it up tomorrow. Already considering modding it to take EL34s

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Friday can't come soon enough:

And I understand I get freely upgraded to Pro Tools 11 as well.
Kinda excited about both aspects of this, I've held off the Pro Tools train for a long time now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

The 70's say "Sup?" :mmmsmug:

Vintage modified Squier jbass for $75(!) in front of a previously bought Kustom kb-250-2

For $75 I'm pretty sure I used up all my music gear karma for a next while. The thing still had the plastic on the pickguard when I picked it up. It plays pretty well, in my opinion. Then again, I'm not a bassist, so what do I know. Whatever, I'm super happy with the purchase.
What the heck do Kustom amps and cabs sounds like? I see them everywhere, never plugged a single one of them in.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Payday is here and I was going to get a joyo pedal for some high gain sounds, but then the king of auctions decided to smile on me and I got this for not a lot more:

It has a tube, it must be good :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

What the heck do Kustom amps and cabs sounds like? I see them everywhere, never plugged a single one of them in.

Loud, not terrible but without a ton of personality sonically, tougher than stonehenge.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

scuz posted:

Pretty much:

Trig Discipline posted:

Loud, not terrible but without a ton of personality sonically, tougher than stonehenge.

They amplify. Not much character. I have had the amp and cab for like 2 years. I love playing my keys through it. It is heavy as gently caress, so it pretty much stays home.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

New keyboard!

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Unnnnnng.

I recently sold my Evolver Desktop out of necessity. It was the instrument that I most gelled with, but I didn't like having to control it with a generic interface. I'll get an Evolver Keyboard at some point. I love that thing.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

renderful posted:

Unnnnnng.

I recently sold my Evolver Desktop out of necessity. It was the instrument that I most gelled with, but I didn't like having to control it with a generic interface. I'll get an Evolver Keyboard at some point. I love that thing.

Yeah, I think this beast is going to fit well with me. It's my first big-boy synth. I had always just been using Native Instruments software synths but never really going in-depth into their capabilities. Then I ended up getting an Arturia Minibrute on a whim and I got hooked on hardware. The thing I don't like about this poly-evolver is that the encoders are a real pile of poo poo. I may purchase the modification kit from DSI to turn out the encoders for pots.. seems like a good investment.

honky dong fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 11, 2013

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Borderview posted:

Yeah, I think this beast is going to fit well with me. It's my first big-boy synth. I had always just been using Native Instruments software synths but never really going in-depth into their capabilities. Then I ended up getting an Arturia Minibrute on a whim and I got hooked on hardware. The thing I don't like about this poly-evolver is that the encoders are a real pile of poo poo. I may purchase the modification kit from DSI to turn out the encoders for pots.. seems like a good investment.

It's almost mandatory. I loved my mono-evolver keyboard, but the encoders were so jumpy it was impossible to program :(

I had a prophet 08 PE for a while though, and the knobs were awesome. Pots forever

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

spaceship posted:

It's almost mandatory. I loved my mono-evolver keyboard, but the encoders were so jumpy it was impossible to program :(

I had a prophet 08 PE for a while though, and the knobs were awesome. Pots forever

I decided to try cleaning the encoders per the instructions on the DSI site. I pretty much just hosed them down with some Deoxit. It fixed most of the issues. The encoders are now working how they ought to save for one or two that are still a little jumpy. I'll probably still do the PE upgrade at some point, but I'll see how the encoders hold up for a while.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Birthdays are awesome when they include geddy lee jazz basses

Thorpe fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 14, 2013

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
"gently caress YOU"

-Frank White on people who break tables.

I mostly kid, but seriously dude use timg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

SomeJazzyRat posted:

"gently caress YOU"

-Frank White on people who break tables.

I mostly kid, but seriously dude use timg

Woah, I apologize. Used my phone to upload it and figures I'd screw it up.