Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are you traveling alone? Most people would go with a buddy for the first time. Tourist sites like crazy sulphur onsen will probably have multilingual signage. Blue for dudes and red/pink for ladies is pretty universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It really does depend on the onsen. In mixed baths where you're naked, it's good manners to cover up with the small towel. Which may or may not be provided -- if it's not provided you can usually buy one for like 100 yen. Some mixed baths flat-out require a bathing suit, but in that case you'll certainly know beforehand.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Clothed onsens seem to be very rare though. It's not the way to go anyway since being naked is part of the thing.

I've only been to a mixed onsen once (in izu, on the east coast near the sea) but it was perfectly fine to just be naked, no need for towels. Once you realize that absolutely nobody cares that you're naked it becomes much more comfortable.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

Eifert Posting posted:

Reservation for Harutaka tomorrow. :getin:

Been dying for more info on this joint ever since I read that Luxeat article. Definitely keen to hear how your dinner goes and what sort of bill you run.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

I've only been to a mixed onsen once (in izu, on the east coast near the sea) but it was perfectly fine to just be naked, no need for towels. Once you realize that absolutely nobody cares that you're naked it becomes much more comfortable.

Even if you're white? I've had Chinese people pretty shamelessly stare at my junk in locker rooms in the mainland.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

Bloodnose posted:

Even if you're white? I've had Chinese people pretty shamelessly stare at my junk in locker rooms in the mainland.

I've been to both smaller, rural area onsens and larger city ones and never had any staring. How peculiar is your junk?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Clothed onsens seem to be very rare though. It's not the way to go anyway since being naked is part of the thing.

I went to a clothed one in Oita that was really more like a hotel pool that happened to be heated by hot springs. They'd vent steam every half hour or so and did a pretty sweet laser show.

My junk has definitely been gandered, may have had something to do with the manscaping (ie any). I'm not really crazy about the experience overall, but I'll do it every now and then as long as I'm out of my prefecture (would not like to run into a student). Honestly, even doing a private one with a girlfriend was just kinda OK, although I might do it again if there was a bunch of snow on the ground (and I uh, had a girlfriend).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

This happens in Korea too.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Eifert Posting posted:

This happens in Korea too.

They do in Japan as well, they just do it out of the corner of their eye,

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
One thing that does confuse me is that I've always seen on shows like "Soko ga Shiritai" and some rotenburo/onsen shows is that the people are always wearing towels in the tub for modesty, and yet elsewhere I've read that bringing the towel into the tub is a no-no, and you have to do something like stick it on your head or something.

On a slightly related note, how bad is the Sakurajima volcano acting up? I seem to recall seeing something about the volcano having very heightened activity as of yesterday or so. I was originally going to visit it on Oct 16th...but I don't want to become the first goon to be annihilated by a lahar.

I assume if Kagoshima is darkened by a thick cloud of ash, going to Sakurajima is a very bad idea, right?

E: Any recommendations as for onsen to visit? I was thinking of possibly doing the onsen thing in Kagoshima if Sakurajima looks like a bad idea. The closest onsen in the immediate Kagoshima city area according to web search on Kagoshimaonsen.jp are Ono Yu, Tenen onsen yu no yama, and Myoban onsen. Everything else looks a mix of closed, hotel/ryokan patrons only, or access only by car.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 27, 2013

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Has anyone here ever worked on a resort in Japan? I'm looking at doing a working holiday over there for a few months with a company called BooBooSki or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

Sometimes somebody will look but it's only natural. Maybe countryside types will do it in China and Korea but even in rural Japan they won't pay any unusual attention to you. I'm blonde and white as an elf.

I really love onsens, especially in winter and in hotels though, not so much the crowded local ones.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TV shows will say "towel permitted for recording purposes" in the corner of the screen.

My friend worked ski season at a Hilton in Hokkaido. The customers and seasonal staff were all Australian.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 28, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

although I might do it again if there was a bunch of snow on the ground (and I uh, had a girlfriend).

I bet you were just using your medium format camera and taking over exposed pictures of your self :colbert:

Jossos posted:

They do in Japan as well, they just do it out of the corner of their eye,

Yeah, I'm sure people are just more subtle, that's all. It's like catching a small glance of other people's junk when you are at the urinal/gym locker room

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Two random data points:

1. Narutomi in the Ginza district makes some incredible handmade soba.

2. No one really seemed to stare at my dick when at various onsen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Someone tell me about onsens where I can get dudes to stare at my dick because I've been looking for years

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

LimburgLimbo posted:

Someone tell me about onsens where I can get dudes to stare at my dick because I've been looking for years

Come to Korea. We'll give it a good stare.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

Come to Korea. We'll give it a good stare.

I went to a jimjilbang near Hongdae once but there were only a few other dudes there. However I will say the dudes/dick-staring dudes ratio was excellent

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Teddles posted:

Has anyone here ever worked on a resort in Japan? I'm looking at doing a working holiday over there for a few months with a company called BooBooSki or something.
If you're into that sort of thing, go for it, but you should know that 650 yen an hour is pretty awful pay (average prefectural minimum wage is 749 yen according to this).

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Just wanted to chime in and give a big thanks to Ned for putting up with my drunk friend and I, and showing us around Fukuoka. It was a cool city and Ned was a great host. You are missing out if you don't give it a visit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In Fukuoka I met an old man in the park who proceeded to ask me if I was catholic (he was) and emotionally told me his life story about how his family died in the a-bombs while he was in China and at the end of it we exchanged sunglasses. Old Japanese men like me.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

biggfoo posted:

Just wanted to chime in and give a big thanks to Ned for putting up with my drunk friend and I, and showing us around Fukuoka. It was a cool city and Ned was a great host. You are missing out if you don't give it a visit.

It was a fun weekend. Lots of boozing and everything was very convenient.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

In Fukuoka I met an old man in the park who proceeded to ask me if I was catholic (he was) and emotionally told me his life story about how his family died in the a-bombs while he was in China and at the end of it we exchanged sunglasses. Old Japanese men like me.

Post the sunglasses please.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pretty cool

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hey Japan goons. I'm visiting from the China thread. I've been checking out flights from Shanghai to Osaka and Tokyo for awhile now and finally landed on some good deals. Now my wife and I are thinking of spending (American) Thanksgiving weekend in Japan! It looks like we can get round trip flights for between $200 and $275 each. We would be flying in on Friday the 29th around noon and leaving on Tuesday the 3rd around 2pm (5 days, 4 nights).

My question is this: is that enough time to make it worth flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka? I really want to see Osaka/Kyoto and my wife really wants to see Tokyo, so we would love to do it this way, but I'm afraid we won't get enough time in either place, or the train will be very expensive.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

It's not a bad way to see the in-between (and liking trains doesn't hurt), but traveling by train will easily eat up a day (2.5 hours from Tokyo to Osaka station). If you really want to see both places you can split your time and maybe go on a group tour you can see a lot in a short window without losing time while finding you way from place to place. I personally enjoyed a bus a tour through Kyoto hitting 3-4 of the famous historical sites.

Either way you'll have a blast.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The train will cost 13000 yen each, assuming you take the shinkansen. Busses are cheaper, but you probably don't want to do that.

5d/4n is plenty in either place but not really enough time for both. If you're doing Tokyo, Kawasaki is basically Osaka and Kamakura is basically Kyoto so you can maybe get your fix anyway.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

riderkick posted:

It's not a bad way to see the in-between (and liking trains doesn't hurt), but traveling by train will easily eat up a day (2.5 hours from Tokyo to Osaka station). If you really want to see both places you can split your time and maybe go on a group tour you can see a lot in a short window without losing time while finding you way from place to place. I personally enjoyed a bus a tour through Kyoto hitting 3-4 of the famous historical sites.

Either way you'll have a blast.

How much do you sleep that 3 hours eats up a whole day.

Edit: I should say that trains are an excellent way to travel that you can make a schedule around. Plus you can easily take a nap/eat/rest during that period, so it's not like it's just a waste of time. You can get up early and have breakfast on the train, or do it midday when you'd be stopping for lunch for a while anyway, and actually only lose an hour or two compared to if you didn't take it.

Only thing is it's pretty expensive.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 11, 2013

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

zmcnulty posted:

The train will cost 13000 yen each, assuming you take the shinkansen. Busses are cheaper, but you probably don't want to do that.

5d/4n is plenty in either place but not really enough time for both. If you're doing Tokyo, Kawasaki is basically Osaka and Kamakura is basically Kyoto so you can maybe get your fix anyway.

Well, I'm really into the history of Kyoto/Osaka in particular, which is why I'd like to see them. Osaka castle, etc.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

To be clear, that doesn't factor in getting to the train station from where you are, and from the Osaka station to where you want to go. Also time that it may take to get your tickets if you're unfamiliar with the train system. If you go early/late in the day, like you suggested, it's not so bad. Just wanted to point out that 3-5 hours in the middle of the day dedicated to travel when you're on a tight schedule is not ideal.

edit: something that may be helpful

Kyoto Bus Tour, the site is in Japanese but thsi company offers English audio tours. It goes from location to location every hour or so.
https://resv.kyototeikikanko.gr.jp/Teikan/dispcourse/dispcoursesearch.aspx

This tour includes an English your guide and hits up seveal locations including 3 world heritage sites.
http://www.kyoto-okoshiyasu.com/play/PlanIntroduce06.aspx?supid=03K003&introid=80086

riderkick fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 11, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you like culture, tru, I would skip Osaka. The castle is more of a replica and photo op anyways :downsrim: Spend time in Kyoto and Tokyo.

truavatar posted:

Hey Japan goons. I'm visiting from the China thread. I've been checking out flights from Shanghai to Osaka and Tokyo for awhile now and finally landed on some good deals. Now my wife and I are thinking of spending (American) Thanksgiving weekend in Japan! It looks like we can get round trip flights for between $200 and $275 each. We would be flying in on Friday the 29th around noon and leaving on Tuesday the 3rd around 2pm (5 days, 4 nights).

You should fly to Korea for goonsgiving :colbert: I will see you 2 weeks before in Shanghai, let me bring you a bunch of maps and places to go for food and culture. And remember, many restaurants in Japan close early by 9ish. Like what other people in this thread say, 5 days between 2 cities is kind of rushed. The best solution is to go twice! Japan is a great country for tourists, you can never get bored. :japan:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Edit: I should say that trains are an excellent way to travel that you can make a schedule around. Plus you can easily take a nap/eat/rest during that period, so it's not like it's just a waste of time. You can get up early and have breakfast on the train, or do it midday when you'd be stopping for lunch for a while anyway, and actually only lose an hour or two compared to if you didn't take it.

Only thing is it's pretty expensive.

Or be like this man just hitch hike 8 hours :krad:

riderkick posted:

To be clear, that doesn't factor in getting to the train station from where you are, and from the Osaka station to where you want to go. Also time that it may take to get your tickets if you're unfamiliar with the train system. If you go early/late in the day, like you suggested, it's not so bad. Just wanted to point out that 3-5 hours in the middle of the day dedicated to travel when you're on a tight schedule is not ideal.

I kind of agree with this. You still need to check out and check in. But Truavatar and his wife are light mobile travelers. They can easily just use backpacks for 5 days and go everywhere. 5 days over 2 Tokyo/Osaka is stretching it, but I'm sure they are up for the challenge: fly into Tokyo in the morning, do 2 days, take a night bus/last train to Kyoto and then go back to Shanghai.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Osaka can be tits though:

DSC01083.jpg by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC00953.jpg by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC00974.jpg by 総理外人, on Flickr

Then again if you guys live in Shanghai you're probably not coming to see pretty lights

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
/\/\/\ Where was that first one taken from?

riderkick posted:

It's true that it does take up a little more time, but trains leave between Tokyo and Osaka literally, what, every 5 minutes? Getting tickets shouldn't take more than a couple minutes if you're familiar, and even if you're not maybe 15 minutes. And Shin-Osaka station and Shinagawa/Tokyo/Ueno stations are all centrally located.

Anyway a plane would likely be pretty much the same amount of time because of all the hassle of getting to airports and getting back in-city, waiting for the plane to board and taxi etc.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

/\/\/\ Where was that first one taken from?

Maya-san, actually in Kobe
http://kobe.travel.coocan.jp/rokko/maya.htm

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Agreed, the plane may not save you as much time. Checked costs real quick at the ANA website for those dates, it will run you about 9000~13000 yen. About 1.5 hour flight which does not include check in time. The earlybird flight is abiout 9000 at the moment.

A thought came to me when Limburg mentioned Shinagawa, that station, to me, is less of a hassle and on the right side of town. A co-worker who lives in Osaka who travels to Tokyo every other week stays at a hotel around the Shinagawa station. If tru were to get a ticket the day before and spend the night in that area, that may save some time and get to Osaka during a decent hour in the morning.

edit: airfare was from the ANA website, from Tokyo/Haneda to Osaka/Itami.

riderkick fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 11, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Osaka offers nothing that Tokyo doesn't do at least x10 better and Kyoto, while small, will take more than a day to really look at properly because everything is hidden. I'd save Kansai for another trip.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Thanks all. I ended up just booking in and out of Tokyo (Ibaraki - Spring Airlines' bullshit airport), rather than trying to cram in Kyoto as well. Another time. One of these days I need to come back to ski anyway.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm considering a 10-day trip to Tokyo and Kyoto next year.

I'm a very fast-paced traveler, and I actually seem to get the most out of rigorously planned itineraries that most people say are too hectic or just too fast, and I get bored if I have more than a day or two of wandering without plans--so I'm confident that I could see the places I want to see in Tokyo and Kyoto.

Knowing this, would it be too ambitious to plan a trip to Okinawa to see some of the underwater monuments? Okinawa looks amazing. Or would the Izu peninsula be much more realistic?

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 14, 2013

iceberg
Apr 23, 2006

repressed, but remarkably dressed
Can anyone advise me on which jacket to take to Japan in early November? I'll be there from the 28th October until the 11th November, visiting Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto and Osaka. I own two jackets, a leather jacket and a wool-blend peacoat. Will the leather jacket be warm enough or should I take the coat for nighttime / in case there is a cold snap? The coat is bulky to lug around so I don't want to take it if I'm not going to be wearing it. I can also take some wool jumpers/sweaters and long sleeved merino tops that could be layered under the leather jacket if needed - will that suffice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

iceberg posted:

Can anyone advise me on which jacket to take to Japan in early November? I'll be there from the 28th October until the 11th November, visiting Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto and Osaka. I own two jackets, a leather jacket and a wool-blend peacoat. Will the leather jacket be warm enough or should I take the coat for nighttime / in case there is a cold snap? The coat is bulky to lug around so I don't want to take it if I'm not going to be wearing it. I can also take some wool jumpers/sweaters and long sleeved merino tops that could be layered under the leather jacket if needed - will that suffice?

Depends upon how good you are with the cold. I will probably still be in a t-shirt then, though admittedly I'm something of an outlier. Really though unless you're incredibly weak to the cold the leather jacket should be fine, unless maybe you intend to take long walks in the middle of the night. Even then worse comes to worst go to Uniqlo and buy a heattech underlayer for like couple thousand yen and you should be fine.

• Locked thread