Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
All the info has me pretty stoked for this expansion, which is pretty rare for me.
Probably going to run classic first, then work up to another I/I play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If damage roulette were was more like 3d4 instead of 1d12, it'd work a lot better. Basically, bell curves instead of an even chance at anything in the range. There'd be some randomness and moments of "oh godddamnit" and "oh thank god" but nothing incredibly frustrating.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Last I played this game it was kinda rough to edit the configuration files, but you could edit a lot of stuff through it.

Are they still obfuscating the .ini files, or will we be able to easily change percentages and such? It was kind of a dick move of them to move and duplicate the necessary files.

I wouldn't mind actually playing Damage Roulette with 3d4 or so. 1d12 is just a lesson in sadism and isn't fun.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 11, 2013

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Drifter posted:

Last I played this game it was kinda rough to edit the configuration files, but you could edit a lot of stuff through it.

Are they still obfuscating the .ini files, or will we be able to easily change percentages and such? It was kind of a dick move of them to move and duplicate the necessary files.

I wouldn't mind actually playing Damage Roulette with 3d4 or so. 1d12 is just a lesson in sadism and isn't fun.

I don't have a direct source and this is all based off of memory, but I seem to recall a developer saying that while the expansion wouldn't add full mod support, they were moving a lot of settings into areas more easily accessible to modders.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I know there is a way to, since the Long War mod does have damage variation like that.

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't have a direct source and this is all based off of memory, but I seem to recall a developer saying that while the expansion wouldn't add full mod support, they were moving a lot of settings into areas more easily accessible to modders.
I recall this as well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just realized that EXALT doesn't have its own latin motto. This evil organization is clearly half-assing it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vengarr posted:

I just realized that EXALT doesn't have its own latin motto. This evil organization is clearly half-assing it.

No, don't you see? Only the good guys have a latin motto!

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Pedicabo X-com?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I bought Enemy Within and feeling excited, went to start a new game. Classic Ironman. My first 6 battles including one terror mission, had 2 deaths total. 3 of them had no damage at all.

On the 7th mission, abduction with the river flowing down, I brought 2 rookies with Laser / Arc Thrower, one support with Laser/Grenade, one sniper with normal/scope (disabling shot), one heavy with shredder, Normal/scope.

3rd turn, a floater flew behind me, the other in front with no cover. Killed the no cover, disabled the back one, stunned him. Excellent. Triggered two mutons, another two floaters. Both floaters killed with a rocket, one muton got grenade / shot to death, the other got a disabling shot. He threw a grenade.

Shot muton to 3 hp, ran a rookie at him. Triggered two thin men. During their turn, one shot a rookie, killing said rookie. The other thin man killed the other rookie. Sniper panicked, shot support. Heavy panicked. :xcom: and :argh: Thin Men!

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Esperanto is the language of the master race. EXALT knows this. :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vengarr posted:

XCOM delenda est. :commissar:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, I absolutely dislike the sllloooooowwwww panning from character to character as they start to panic.

If two or more people on your team are panicked it's such a loving drag to have to sit through that stupid ONE sound effect of them yelling out "NOOOOOO! OH GOD OH GOD," or whatever it is.

I hope they changed that. Jesus, that just really annoyed me.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Drifter posted:

You know, I absolutely dislike the sllloooooowwwww panning from character to character as they start to panic.

If two or more people on your team are panicked it's such a loving drag to have to sit through that stupid ONE sound effect of them yelling out "NOOOOOO! OH GOD OH GOD," or whatever it is.

I hope they changed that. Jesus, that just really annoyed me.

Yeah, they should also disable the panic sound effect if you've already disabled soldiers' voices, at least. That annoys me a lot as well.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
First time going for the final mission, rolling up with three heavies, two assaults, and a support since ALL OF MY SNIPERS ARE DEAD. As punishment for this, I am going to fire every single one of my rockets.

Also, hilariously, as I was killing time waiting for another UFO to restock my Elerium supplies so I could build the Psi Armor, a council mission popped up with 40 Elerium as a reward. The enemies?

12 sectoids.

I didn't even bother ending in cover, just marched my titan clad heavies up the middle of the screen gunning everything down.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah even if they rebalance late-game council missions to be a challenge (I really hope they do this!), I still hope there's the occasional pack of sectoids that you can just cut down like a hot knife through butter, cause that poo poo's cathartic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would like for some kind of nerf to Thin-men. Accuracy or a range-limit on poison cloud. One of the two.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Alchenar posted:

I would like for some kind of nerf to Thin-men. Accuracy or a range-limit on poison cloud. One of the two.

I can't disagree more with this. If anything, there needs to be a late game variant of them with more health.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thin Men are pretty stupid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thin Men delenda est.

e: Macer Homines delenda est? I never took a Latin course in college.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 11, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Zigmidge posted:

I can't disagree more with this. If anything, there needs to be a late game variant of them with more health.

I'd actually be okay with both - If there's a later, stronger variant of Thin Men then perhaps the early one could be safely toned down a bit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

This. Maybe not just "more health" but that "ohshit" feeling when suddenly a lot of Thin Men appear is great. A decently high accuracy unit with a backup attack that always hits is very well balanced. On classic, a Thin Man pack is probably more lethal to a soldier than a Sectopod is (when they both first arrive). A sectopod has 90 accuracy and does 20 damage if it hits, which should kill a soldier wearing Titan but not using chitin or nanoweave. Admittedly, very dangerous, since you're basically rolling 50/50 odds on whether a soldier dies (assuming full cover). Note that if you have ghost armor, you instead only have a 30% chance of getting hit, which are pretty solid odds. However, while it has 30 Def, it cannot take cover like Thin Men, so is far easier to hit and can be killed solo by a shotgun assault, a double-tap sniper, or a lucky heavy. Also, they're big threats: you can be fairly confident that there is only one per map and so can happily waste a rocket not dealing with the threat. The above info all guarantees that while Sectopods are big threats to your high-ranking men, they very, very rarely ever survive to their turn. By contrast, a Thin Man pack has 75 aim each and gets three shots, and only an exceedingly lucky bulletstorm heavy can kill two on one turn. Their defense is effectively far better than a Sectopod because they can use cover and your troops' aim is a lot lower. They have enough health to survive a ballistic assault rifle hit. They have a 100% accurate attack that also lowers your aim by 20%, further compounding how hard it is to kill them. With only four men on the field, maybe five, you can probably count on killing one Thin Man a turn. This still gives them two turns to fire back, and if they hit, they have a good chance of killing your men (level-up progress depending). Even if they don't, they'll still do a huge chunk of damage, and there are almost certainly more Thin Men packs on the map (unlike Sectopods). Oh, and they have excellent mobility, compounding their decent aim and defensive situation.

Basically, if you want to make Sectopods as dangerous as Thin Men, they need to have the ability to plausibly survive your entire squad focus-firing on it the way a Thin Man pack can. The obvious answer that is actually pretty effective, is to make the enemy packs grow as yours do. When you go from 4 guys vs 3 aliens in a pack to 6 guys vs 3 aliens, its a huge jump, and the aliens have no way of competing with your increased damage output. It looks like from the videos that Exalt will actually be the mid-late game "gently caress Thin Men" replacement because there are a shitton of them, they have good aim, and they have a backup attack that always does some level of damage and applies a debuff (in this case, removes cover). While we haven't seen Exalt elites, maybe they'll be the late-game answer. Now if they rework the aliens to have something (Thin Men snipers in good armor spring to mind) and make alien packs grow, the late game will be as hard as the beginning.

I know I mention the Long War a bit here, but they do have some good ideas under some frustrating implementation, and one of them is that their alien packs grow, too, and it definitely adds to the difficulty. They added more multi-attack options earlier to help you compensate, but you don't necessarily locally outnumber the aliens all the time, which adds to their danger in a way that just increasing their health or damage does not.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

TalonDemonKing posted:

Pedicabo X-com?

Pedicabimus X-Com. There's more than one man in EXALT.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Geight posted:

Yeah even if they rebalance late-game council missions to be a challenge (I really hope they do this!), I still hope there's the occasional pack of sectoids that you can just cut down like a hot knife through butter, cause that poo poo's cathartic.

A giant horde of Thin Men!

...and two stealth squids that you have all the countermeasures for.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Ravenfood posted:

Basically, if you want to make Sectopods as dangerous as Thin Men, they need to have the ability to plausibly survive your entire squad focus-firing on it the way a Thin Man pack can. The obvious answer that is actually pretty effective, is to make the enemy packs grow as yours do. When you go from 4 guys vs 3 aliens in a pack to 6 guys vs 3 aliens, its a huge jump, and the aliens have no way of competing with your increased damage output. It looks like from the videos that Exalt will actually be the mid-late game "gently caress Thin Men" replacement because there are a shitton of them, they have good aim, and they have a backup attack that always does some level of damage and applies a debuff (in this case, removes cover). While we haven't seen Exalt elites, maybe they'll be the late-game answer. Now if they rework the aliens to have something (Thin Men snipers in good armor spring to mind) and make alien packs grow, the late game will be as hard as the beginning.

Mechtoids look fairly dangerous, and sectopods are supposedly getting buffed. Plus there's seekers. I think together those will cover the bases of hard-rear end enemies that will scare you in the late game.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Geight posted:

This and more.

UFO: Enemy Unknown and XCOM both had the end game as a sort of apology for the all the bullshit it's dragged you through to get there. I'm happy for more endgame variation to keep things interesting or maybe increased enemy numbers so that there is more danger but that any one 1v1 is very much in your favour. But I'd hate to feel like all my research is ever doing is keeping pace.

Them aliens gotta feel the cane some time :argh:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Zigmidge posted:

This. And make them massable in multiplayer.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mortabis posted:

Mechtoids look fairly dangerous, and sectopods are supposedly getting buffed. Plus there's seekers. I think together those will cover the bases of hard-rear end enemies that will scare you in the late game.

Aren't they buffing the Muton family too? I think the idea is Mechtoids appear around when Mutons currents appear and the rest of the aliens all move up a step.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

If damage roulette were was more like 3d4 instead of 1d12, it'd work a lot better. Basically, bell curves instead of an even chance at anything in the range. There'd be some randomness and moments of "oh godddamnit" and "oh thank god" but nothing incredibly frustrating.

I think damage roulette was designed to be like the original game's damage mechanic, where all non-explosive weapons did 0-200% of their listed damage stat with an even chance for the whole range.

It doesn't really work as well in EU though, just because the mechanics aren't really balanced around it. Plus it's not 0-200% but 1-(damage stat+1), so really enabling damage roulette just makes your damage lower on average which annoys the hell out of me. Then again, you can just not use it!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Darkrenown posted:

Aren't they buffing the Muton family too? I think the idea is Mechtoids appear around when Mutons currents appear and the rest of the aliens all move up a step.

They appear when sectoids disappear in the current game.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Geight posted:

I'd actually be okay with both - If there's a later, stronger variant of Thin Men then perhaps the early one could be safely toned down a bit.

I know I harp on this sometimes but it's seriously my least favorite part of the game - I'd be totally fine with the thin men as an enemy if not for their implementation in council missions, where they predictably drop into particular spots based on certain mission progress triggers. Memorizing and camping (or avoiding) their spawns is not my idea of tactical richness.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Mechtoids look fairly dangerous, and sectopods are supposedly getting buffed.
That's disappointing, because I like having an enemy that your entire squad has to drop whatever it is they're doing and focus all of their energy on.

And then you have your Assault with the Plasma Rifle and Rapid Fire run up to two squares away from it and finish the fucker off with a nice 25 damage deathblow.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Crazy Ted posted:

That's disappointing, because I like having an enemy that your entire squad has to drop whatever it is they're doing and focus all of their energy on.

And then you have your Assault with the Plasma Rifle and Rapid Fire run up to two squares away from it and finish the fucker off with a nice 25 damage deathblow.

Buffed, not nerfed

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

So Sectopods getting buffed should be right up your alley, then? Because right now, they're not even that. They're "run your alloy cannon up to it, win" or "double-tap plasma sniper that poo poo". Getting buffed will make them more of the "oh holy gently caress killitnow!" enemy that we want it to be.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The nerf to the Squad-sight sniper should help survivability of such units as well.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
They should let Sectopods use that head turret as an interdictor for rockets :v:

Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 11, 2013

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't played this in a year, and saw it was free for playstation plus so I grabbed it. Going to give it another go, have they added anything really different from the way it was last year?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My favorite squad to run right now is 5 assaults and 1 support. All are colonels, except for one 1 assault (she's an LT). It's hilariously over-aggressive, and the injury rate runs pretty high. I'm only up to skeleton suits for everyone, as soon as I get ghost armor there's going to be a ruthless purge of xenos scum wherever my soldiers wander. I've been taking it real slow and playing with the 2nd wave options; I won the game on classic a while back, and turned on all of the options except for "Red Fog", "Diminishing Return" (the one that makes satellites progressively more expensive), and one other that I don't recall (maybe the one that makes psykers stupidly rare?). I'm up to Jan 2016 and haven't assaulted the alien base yet :v: I just want to kill aliens and check out all the options. Damage Roulette functions about like we've been talking about here...sometimes an alloy cannon will crush a muton berzerker outright, and sometimes a Thin Man absorbs a rapid fire blast from that same shotgun and shrugs it off. Overall it's good so far, though admittedly I'm only playing it on normal to get a feel for it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't played this in a year, and saw it was free for playstation plus so I grabbed it. Going to give it another go, have they added anything really different from the way it was last year?
There's a "Second Wave" mode which lets you apply gameplay modifiers that unlock as you beat the game on harder difficulties, and a DLC that adds a couple of very hard Council missions that let you get a rare endgame tech early.

And of course, there's the expansion/standalone update coming out next month...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Slashrat posted:

Buffed, not nerfed
That's what I get for mixing those two terms up all the time. Are there any specifics on the type of improvements they'll be getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, and they need to look like classic snake men from the original. :colbert:

You hear that Firaxis guys? Bring back classic snake men!

• Locked thread