Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Do we seriously all use the same scale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

le capitan posted:

Do we seriously all use the same scale...

I've got it too..

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
I got it a few months ago based off a recommendation I saw here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't have that one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

After tasting my first roast 1/4lb on p1, the coffee has noticeably less flavor than what I usually get with the heat gun method. Is this to be expected or do I just need to experiment more?

I mean it's not bad, just less complex and flavorful.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 8, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

After tasting my first roast 1/4lb on p1, the coffee has noticeably less flavor than what I usually get with the heat gun method. Is this to be expected or do I just need to experiment more?

I mean it's not bad, just less complex and flavorful.

What beans and what roast did you take it to?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

rockcity posted:

What beans and what roast did you take it to?

1/4lb of Burundi Kirimiro Teka from SM's. Preheated for a 1:30, roasted on P1 and hit cool after 1:30 from the first sounds of first crack.

That was the last of those beans though.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 9, 2013

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

MMD3 posted:

Let's have a coffee roasting bro-down dude, we can get mattdev involved too.

This would be awesome. I still need practice with the Freshroast as my first two roasts are pretty uneven. At least it tasted pretty good.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

toenut posted:

This would be awesome. I still need practice with the Freshroast as my first two roasts are pretty uneven. At least it tasted pretty good.

well I don't have a roaster yet, but I'd happily watch you roast and even bring some beans from mr. green beans.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

toenut posted:

Start with an initial warmup period to ease the temp of the beans up. Start with a minute on low and then hit the cool button and let that run for 30 seconds. Then turn the machine on medium and continue your roast as deemed fit. Also, resist the urge to roast more than you should be (1/3 cup of green beans assuming an SR500) at a time. You'll never get an even roast doing more than that, I've tried.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bondetamp posted:

I never really learned to enjoy Parisian coffee, but Telescope is a pretty good place I visited last winter. It was at the time still suffering from Paris' horrible water quality, but they were talking about plans for fixing that, installing filters or something, so it is probably far better now. The place itself is very nice at any event, if possibly a bit hard to find.

In addition to that one I also found Stradaand Loustic.

Strada was highly recommended but I didn't really like it too much: ordered an espresso (kinda bland) and the "vibe" felt like Starbucks cause it was just full of formally dressed people eating salads. Loustic was cozier and their coffee great, but I really enjoyed Telescope the most. The baristas were very nice, nice atmosphere, great coffee.

Now I'm in Portland. Any suggestions for cafés/roasters?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boris Galerkin posted:

In addition to that one I also found Stradaand Loustic.

Strada was highly recommended but I didn't really like it too much: ordered an espresso (kinda bland) and the "vibe" felt like Starbucks cause it was just full of formally dressed people eating salads. Loustic was cozier and their coffee great, but I really enjoyed Telescope the most. The baristas were very nice, nice atmosphere, great coffee.

pshhh... which neighborhood are you in?

NW: Barista
SW: Stumptown (main one on 3rd, another in the Ace Hotel lobby on 10th & Stark)
NoPo/NE: Barista, Ristretto, Extracto, Heart
SE: Coava, Stumptown on Division.

Barista, Ristretto, & Coava would be my top to check out. For convenience if you're wandering around town shopping or whatever Barista is in the Pearl District & on Alberta, both great areas to wander.

Those are primarily roasters, there are some other great coffee shops around town if you know what neighborhoods you're mostly going to be hanging out in.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know how their cafe is but I know that Heart Roasters' coffee is pretty great.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MMD3 posted:

pshhh... which neighborhood are you in?

NW: Barista
SW: Stumptown (main one on 3rd, another in the Ace Hotel lobby on 10th & Stark)
NoPo/NE: Barista, Ristretto, Extracto, Heart
SE: Coava, Stumptown on Division.

Barista, Ristretto, & Coava would be my top to check out. For convenience if you're wandering around town shopping or whatever Barista is in the Pearl District & on Alberta, both great areas to wander.

Those are primarily roasters, there are some other great coffee shops around town if you know what neighborhoods you're mostly going to be hanging out in.

I'm not sure what neighborhood I'm in, just flew in last night and staying for a week. I guess technically I'm out in the suburbs (Hillsboro) but I've got a car.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess technically I'm out in the suburbs (Hillsboro) but I've got a car.

That's not very Portland of you.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not sure what neighborhood I'm in, just flew in last night and staying for a week. I guess technically I'm out in the suburbs (Hillsboro) but I've got a car.

then your best bet is probably driving over to Toenut's house and asking you to roast up some beans for you... Hillsboro is terrible for coffee shops.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

then your best bet is probably driving over to Toenut's house and asking you to roast up some beans for you... Hillsboro is terrible for coffee shops.

Well it's not like I'm going to be staying in Hillsboro this whole time. I'm interested in seeing/exploring Portland proper, but a free place to stay here with a friend saves me a lot of money.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well it's not like I'm going to be staying in Hillsboro this whole time. I'm interested in seeing/exploring Portland proper, but a free place to stay here with a friend saves me a lot of money.

:D

well then I'd suggest hitting up the best neighborhoods for walkability. Barista in the Pearl District, Stumptown on 10th & Stark (very close to the pearl district & Powell's books) Fresh Pot on N. Mississippi and Barista on NE Alberta. Pearl District is shi-shi, Mississippi & Alberta are going to be more granola. I spotted Carrie Brownstein (sleater-kinney/portlandia) in the Barista on Alberta one of the last times I was in there. And if you're a coffee fan and you're on Mississippi then make sure you hit up Mr. Green Beans.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

rockcity posted:

Start with an initial warmup period to ease the temp of the beans up. Start with a minute on low and then hit the cool button and let that run for 30 seconds. Then turn the machine on medium and continue your roast as deemed fit. Also, resist the urge to roast more than you should be (1/3 cup of green beans assuming an SR500) at a time. You'll never get an even roast doing more than that, I've tried.

Thanks for the tips. My 2nd roast came out better, though I did it in two stages(under roasted the 1st night, touch up roast the 2nd night). I'll definitely try the 3rd attempt with 1/3 cup of beans unlike the 4 scoops most people on Sweet Maria's forum said is fine. Here is what the 2nd roast looked like after the touch up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

:D

well then I'd suggest hitting up the best neighborhoods for walkability. Barista in the Pearl District, Stumptown on 10th & Stark (very close to the pearl district & Powell's books) Fresh Pot on N. Mississippi and Barista on NE Alberta. Pearl District is shi-shi, Mississippi & Alberta are going to be more granola. I spotted Carrie Brownstein (sleater-kinney/portlandia) in the Barista on Alberta one of the last times I was in there. And if you're a coffee fan and you're on Mississippi then make sure you hit up Mr. Green Beans.

Do these places all have wifi? I hate to be that guy but I have some work to do and my friend doesn't have any sort of coffee maker in this house.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do these places all have wifi? I hate to be that guy but I have some work to do and my friend doesn't have any sort of coffee maker in this house.

I know that some of my friends got pissed off when Heart started disabling their Wifi on weekends but as far as I know they're all going to have wifi on weekdays. ristretto is a pretty good spot for getting some work done. the pearl district barista and SW stumptown are kind of limited on seating.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

I know that some of my friends got pissed off when Heart started disabling their Wifi on weekends but as far as I know they're all going to have wifi on weekdays. ristretto is a pretty good spot for getting some work done. the pearl district barista and SW stumptown are kind of limited on seating.

Last question then, the Ristretto you're talking about is on Williams? Their website shows three locations (others being Couch and Nikolai) and this one seems to be the most "north" on maps.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'd suggest Heart for drip coffee or straight espresso, any of the Baristas for espresso or espresso + milk drinks, and Coava for anything. The NE Alberta Barista is the best Barista location to sit down and get work done.

Ristretto's coffee is so-so in my book, but their locations are rad. They just opened a new shop on Couch St. which has an Alpha Dominiche Steampunk (the only one in Portland). Their Schoolhouse Electric location is also awesome.

If you really want to mix things up, check out The Arbor Lodge in NE or Either/Or in Sellwood, both of which serve Roseline, which is my favorite Portland roaster right now. Either/Or is better, and also serves Heart, but it's probably the furthest place away from you.

Another good spot to check out is Clive Coffee, which is an espresso machine and brewing equipment showroom (the only one in Portland... maybe on the West Coast?). Water Avenue coffee is right next door, and it's okay. Coava is also only 7-8 blocks away.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

grahm posted:

Alpha Dominiche Steampunk

Demitasse in Santa Monica has this, and it's decent but not worth going out of your way for. More useful to baristas/shift supervisors in terms of providing a more consistent cup.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boris Galerkin posted:

Last question then, the Ristretto you're talking about is on Williams? Their website shows three locations (others being Couch and Nikolai) and this one seems to be the most "north" on maps.

sorry, yes, I was thinking the Williams location..

Listen to Grahm though, Arbor Lodge is my local coffee shop/favorite small shop. Great place to get some work done. Only didn't mention it because there's not really anything near there as far as sight-seeing goes but it is only ~5 minutes from Mississippi and ~5-10 minutes from downtown.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Do you guys open the door on your behmor to stretch first crack?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Demitasse in Santa Monica has this, and it's decent but not worth going out of your way for. More useful to baristas/shift supervisors in terms of providing a more consistent cup.

Yeah, I had coffee from one in Philadelphia somewhere. It looks really cool but was distinctly not worth any special trip and given the choice I'd even pick a proper siphon bar.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
After purchasing a CCD and Aeropress, using beans no more than a couple weeks old, grinding with an hand burr grinder and measuring beans and water using scales, I'm still getting cups which I could describe as 'bitter' and 'hot' and nothing else.

Maybe I'm doing something totally wrong, or I'm missing what good coffee is supposed to be?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's bitter it means you are grinding the beans too fine, the water is too hot, or you are brewing them too long. Your beans could also be over-roasted. I'd try adjusting all 4 factors until it tastes good. Do you have a good coffee shop around? Find a place that does a good pour over and taste that, then try to emulate it with your CCD.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Slimchandi posted:

After purchasing a CCD and Aeropress, using beans no more than a couple weeks old, grinding with an hand burr grinder and measuring beans and water using scales, I'm still getting cups which I could describe as 'bitter' and 'hot' and nothing else.

Maybe I'm doing something totally wrong, or I'm missing what good coffee is supposed to be?

A couple weeks old is pretty old to be honest. Buy or roast what you can drink in a week.

What's your ccd process?

Also if you can, think about getting a heat gun, dog bowl and a sample pack from Sweet Maria's. That's a total game changer.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 10, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also who are you buying your beans from? If it's a tiny local place, what are they roasted to? Post a picture of some with a white background if you are unsure.

E: I ask since there is a local roaster here who takes things to a Full Starbucks + and a lot of people like it because they are unfortunate and never had good coffee, through some experimention I have determined that using good brew methods make the coffee taste actually worse than a simple autodrip machine.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 10, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Google Butt posted:

Do you guys open the door on your behmor to stretch first crack?
I don't - let it roll. I'm usually roasting a 50/40/10 of Columbian or Brazillian, Central American of some kind, and some African. So, I'm roasting a mix that won't all hit the first crack at the same time. I stop it at about 30 seconds or so into the 2nd crack. Makes good espresso and that's what I drink :)

Man don't you love the ability to HEAR all the cracks using the Behmor? It's sooooo quiet.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I am using filter blend from Hasbean in the UK, relatively fresh stuff. There's no roaster near me from what I can tell, and if I mail order beans it means a trip to the depot to pick them up every time.

I think the problem is likely to be water that is too hot - I boil in my kettle and let it sit for around a minute before pouring. I use my Hario mini mill on about 9 clicks, and use 18g coffee to ~300g of water, for 3.30 mins and then a minute draw down. Resulting coffee is *just* cool enough to sip after that time. Should I be leaving it to cool for longer?

Last week I had a lovely Chemex brew in a local cafe which was spectacular - I should be able to get somewhere near that shouldn't I?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

porktree posted:

I don't - let it roll. I'm usually roasting a 50/40/10 of Columbian or Brazillian, Central American of some kind, and some African. So, I'm roasting a mix that won't all hit the first crack at the same time. I stop it at about 30 seconds or so into the 2nd crack. Makes good espresso and that's what I drink :)

Man don't you love the ability to HEAR all the cracks using the Behmor? It's sooooo quiet.

How much are you roasting and your settings? Do you preheat the unit and if so do you preheat with the beans in the drum or out?

After doing a bunch of reading, there's a huge variety of techniques people use, like the door opening , under loading, different preheating techniques, some swear by p1, some mix it up based on the bean. poo poo, I've read that some people raise the front of the behmor so that the beans are closer to the heating element.

I'm just trying to figure out what works for people around here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Slimchandi posted:

I am using filter blend from Hasbean in the UK, relatively fresh stuff. There's no roaster near me from what I can tell, and if I mail order beans it means a trip to the depot to pick them up every time.

I think the problem is likely to be water that is too hot - I boil in my kettle and let it sit for around a minute before pouring. I use my Hario mini mill on about 9 clicks, and use 18g coffee to ~300g of water, for 3.30 mins and then a minute draw down. Resulting coffee is *just* cool enough to sip after that time. Should I be leaving it to cool for longer?

Last week I had a lovely Chemex brew in a local cafe which was spectacular - I should be able to get somewhere near that shouldn't I?

A minute cooldown is more than enough. I would grind coarser. I use 12 clicks on my hario mini. If that doesn't fix it then try cutting down the brew time to just 3 minutes before doing the draw down. If it's still bitter then you have bad beans.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 10, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Slimchandi posted:

I'd recommend home roasting if you've got 15 minutes of free time a week, it will make a huge difference. Two week old beans from the roast date is really old, imo. You can get going for $60-70, that's including a 4lb sampler from SM's. Add a couple packs of Filtropa filters if you do order from SM's!

Try this with the ccd:

-pre wet filter with warm water while it's in the ccd, don't drain the rinse water out of the bottom, pour it out of the top.
-20 grams coffee
-320 grams hot water
-cover immediately with a plate
-lift plate and stir at 1:00, just swish around the very top to wet the floating grounds, don't go digging.
-begin draw down at 3 minutes and adjust grind so you have a finish time of 5.

Also get filtropa filters, those totally fixed my stalling and paper taste issue.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 10, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Google Butt posted:

How much are you roasting and your settings? Do you preheat the unit and if so do you preheat with the beans in the drum or out?

After doing a bunch of reading, there's a huge variety of techniques people use, like the door opening , under loading, different preheating techniques, some swear by p1, some mix it up based on the bean. poo poo, I've read that some people raise the front of the behmor so that the beans are closer to the heating element.
I'm not that OCD :) I don't preheat, use p2 for the longer roast time, and do 8oz at a time, it pretty much hits it on the nose at 13 min. Depending on ambient temp. The biggest variable I've found is how ambient temp affects the internal temperature sensor (my Behmor's at least 4 years old so this may have been improved). During the cold of winter when my garage is in the mid 40's (F) - I'll stop the roast at 12-12:30, in the summer I sometimes have to add seconds to get as far as I want.

I've played with the other roast profiles - which is interesting, but I don't drink enough of "not espresso", to get much out of them.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Ordered some green beans on a whim a couple days ago and figured I'd try out a little bit of roasting at home. I ordered a rather stylish air popper as well but the beans arrived before the air popper did so I tried roasting it on the stove top.

Started out with just half a cup of green beans in a smallish saucepan so that I could keep the beans mobile - very happy with the result.

Heard the first crack, and then a couple minutes later I pulled it off of the stovetop. There are still dark blemishes on the beans, not sure where this fits on the 'city' scale.

edit: picture makes the roast look a little uneven but up close it's not quite as noticeable

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Improvement! Here's some Burundi Kirimiro Teka that I did earlier in the week-

And here's the high airflow heatgun I've been struggling with, I think I've finally developing a method that works reliably using it. Long story short, let the gun do the local stirring and use the wooden spoon to shovel things up from the bottom of the bowl so they don't get forgotten down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Ordered some green beans on a whim a couple days ago and figured I'd try out a little bit of roasting at home. I ordered a rather stylish air popper as well but the beans arrived before the air popper did so I tried roasting it on the stove top.

Started out with just half a cup of green beans in a smallish saucepan so that I could keep the beans mobile - very happy with the result.

Heard the first crack, and then a couple minutes later I pulled it off of the stovetop. There are still dark blemishes on the beans, not sure where this fits on the 'city' scale.

edit: picture makes the roast look a little uneven but up close it's not quite as noticeable

Actually, for stovetop... that looks pretty good. :)

o muerte posted:

Improvement! Here's some Burundi Kirimiro Teka that I did earlier in the week-

And here's the high airflow heatgun I've been struggling with, I think I've finally developing a method that works reliably using it. Long story short, let the gun do the local stirring and use the wooden spoon to shovel things up from the bottom of the bowl so they don't get forgotten down there.

That looks awesome. Very even.