Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On a similar vein what are some 'so bad they're good' horror movies on instant? I see a ton of hot street trash listed but I have no clue what among it is good for a laugh with other horror nerds when we're doing horror marathons, and what are just objectively bad movies.

The Stuff is a great 80's horror movie, but it leans more towards comedy than horror. Still orth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On a similar vein what are some 'so bad they're good' horror movies on instant? I see a ton of hot street trash listed but I have no clue what among it is good for a laugh with other horror nerds when we're doing horror marathons, and what are just objectively bad movies.

I know I posted it on the last page, but seriously watch Silent Hill Revelations. Especially if any of you are fans of the games. It seriously has the stupidest/funniest climax a Silent Hill movie could possibly have the heroes confront the cult leader (played by Carrie Anne-Moss), then she transforms into a monster, but then PYRAMID HEAD SHOWS UP AND SAVES EVERYONE.

And the movie has reasonably good pacing and decent performances, so it's not painful to watch (like a movie by the Asylum, or a b-list Troma film), the script is just pants-on-head retarded.

edit: Just so I'm giving some new information, a couple other bad/campy horror movies to check out on Netflix instant are Bordello of Blood (Dennis Miller vs sexy vampires), the terrible Gus van Sant remake of Psycho, and Disturbing Behavior (not so much bad as late 90s as gently caress).

I'd also recommend anything with either the Leprechaun (apparently only Leprechaun 2 is up currently) or Chucky (both Bride of and Seed of are up), but those movies are intentionally funny so they may not count.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People Under the Stairs is on instant, but it's loving awesome so I'm not sure why I suggested it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Twitch posted:

I know I posted it on the last page, but seriously watch Silent Hill Revelations. Especially if any of you are fans of the games. It seriously has the stupidest/funniest climax a Silent Hill movie could possibly have the heroes confront the cult leader (played by Carrie Anne-Moss), then she transforms into a monster, but then PYRAMID HEAD SHOWS UP AND SAVES EVERYONE.

And the movie has reasonably good pacing and decent performances, so it's not painful to watch (like a movie by the Asylum, or a b-list Troma film), the script is just pants-on-head retarded.

edit: Just so I'm giving some new information, a couple other bad/campy horror movies to check out on Netflix instant are Bordello of Blood (Dennis Miller vs sexy vampires), the terrible Gus van Sant remake of Psycho, and Disturbing Behavior (not so much bad as late 90s as gently caress).

I'd also recommend anything with either the Leprechaun (apparently only Leprechaun 2 is up currently) or Chucky (both Bride of and Seed of are up), but those movies are intentionally funny so they may not count.

Sold! I'm pretty sure we've all seen the Leprechaun and Chucky flicks but if Leprechaun In The Hood manages to get up there we're so gonna watch that regardless.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People Under the Stairs is on instant, but it's loving awesome so I'm not sure why I suggested it.

Yea that's just an unironically great movie to watch whenever you want.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Drop everything and watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Right now. That's a classic! House 1 & 2 are 80's cheese classics as well, though not quite as good as Klowns.
If you want some gore in your cheese, Troma always wins! Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke Em High are the must sees.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's especially awesome after coming off of a yearly Twin Peaks binge.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Poopinstein posted:

Drop everything and watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Right now. That's a classic!
:woop:Bragging rights, my late grandfather played the security guard who gets killed with pies.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

neonnoodle posted:

:woop:Bragging rights, my late grandfather played the security guard who gets killed with pies.

Hah, now that's awesome!

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus

Poopinstein posted:

If you want some gore in your cheese, Troma always wins! Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke Em High are the must sees.

Cannibal: The Musical is also streaming.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

TheJunkyardGod posted:

Cannibal: The Musical is also streaming.

I can't watch it without the commentary track. It's better than the movie.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Twitch posted:

Haha my friends say I'm crazy for liking this film and saying it's hands down better than the first, but it's absolutely true.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
CHILLERAMA is available, it's very troma and a lot of fun and definitely on the ridiculous side.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

me your dad posted:

I watched The Bay last night. What a piece of poo poo that was. It was so over the top with its messaging and then :wtc: at the end when that stupid couple arrives in a completely DEAD TOWN with their YOUNG INFANT and "Hey lets explore this town full of rotting corpses!" Their boat was out of gas - big deal - still some from a dead person's boat.

The husband would've died anyway.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Upstream Color is on netflix. It's by the same guy who did Primer, although very different.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

smallmouth posted:

Upstream Color is on netflix. It's by the same guy who did Primer, although very different.

Unfortunately it is very different in that Primer was awesome and Upstream Color is terrible.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

cornface posted:

Unfortunately it is very different in that Primer was awesome and Upstream Color is terrible.

I enjoyed it, although I had to look it up online after to make sure I actually understood what was happening correctly. I will agree that Primer was better, though.

I'm also going to throw out another recommendation for Antiviral for anybody who is a fan of David Cronenburg's movies. His son Brandon is definitely strongly influenced by his films, and it's a very strong start to his film career.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Oct 12, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Turfahurf posted:

I enjoyed it, although I had to look it up online after to make sure I actually understood what was happening correctly. I will agree that Primer was better, though.

I asked the person who recommended it to me if they had seen Tree of Life. '"Yeah, but I felt like I was watching some pretentious art house film." :psyduck:

I thought Tree of Life had a lot more control over the narrative and pacing, but I still enjoyed Upstream Color.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

cornface posted:

Actually this guy is half-wrong. Upstream Color is one of the best films that came out this year.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

cornface posted:

I'm a big pro-Upstream Color guy. What's terrible about it? Primer is a movie that's made only of its own plot. It's a good plot, but there's not much stuff about the human condition.

Are you uncomfortable with disempowered characters? Unrealistic plots? Minimal explaining? When it comes to acting, sound design, photography, and all the other ways people evaluate film... Upstream Color checks all the boxes. You're not required to like the movie but if you want to argue that it's bad you'll have to try pretty hard.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mescal posted:

I'm a big pro-Upstream Color guy. What's terrible about it? Primer is a movie that's made only of its own plot. It's a good plot, but there's not much stuff about the human condition.

Are you uncomfortable with disempowered characters? Unrealistic plots? Minimal explaining? When it comes to acting, sound design, photography, and all the other ways people evaluate film... Upstream Color checks all the boxes. You're not required to like the movie but if you want to argue that it's bad you'll have to try pretty hard.

I was really excited when I heard about it. I was a huge Primer fan, and I was surprised he'd not done anything else. I think part of my dislike of Upstream Color comes from the long period between movies that built up an expectation.

You say it checks all the boxes, and I think that is part of what I don't like about it. It checks all the boxes and yet remains unsatisfying. It's like Michael Bay movies are in the action genre, but transposed to art house movies. It has an interesting concept, has all the requisite elements, is expertly produced and directed, but goes nowhere.

I feel like much of the praise for it is likewise based on expectations and not wanting to appear not to "get it." It's okay to admit that a beautiful movie by a guy who is capable of breaking new ground in film making is also as boring as it is pointlessly pretentious. It's a jumbled mess that "checks all the boxes" except for being entertaining, actually thought provoking, or innovative, which are all things I think it was aiming for.

Still looking forward to his next movie. They can't all be winners.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

cornface posted:

I was really excited when I heard about it. I was a huge Primer fan, and I was surprised he'd not done anything else. I think part of my dislike of Upstream Color comes from the long period between movies that built up an expectation.

You say it checks all the boxes, and I think that is part of what I don't like about it. It checks all the boxes and yet remains unsatisfying. It's like Michael Bay movies are in the action genre, but transposed to art house movies. It has an interesting concept, has all the requisite elements, is expertly produced and directed, but goes nowhere.

I feel like much of the praise for it is likewise based on expectations and not wanting to appear not to "get it." It's okay to admit that a beautiful movie by a guy who is capable of breaking new ground in film making is also as boring as it is pointlessly pretentious. It's a jumbled mess that "checks all the boxes" except for being entertaining, actually thought provoking, or innovative, which are all things I think it was aiming for.

Still looking forward to his next movie. They can't all be winners.

I was hypnotized watching that movie from the first couple minutes until the end. That rarely happens for me. When you're in the world, so many things are okay that you might overthink otherwise.

I admire the movie so much for not telling you once how you're supposed to interpret it. I've had the 'real' plot explained to me and maybe that was what the director meant, but for me the movie is about trauma, alienation, and connection. If there were narration I probably wouldn't have liked the movie too much.

And it goes somewhere. It has a plot where a lot of things happen and every thing makes the next thing happen. It just doesn't seem manic because the production makes the plot feel like a deadly morphine high.

I'm not trying to tell you what to like. But I think it is a good movie that will continue to find its audience slowly in the next many years and maybe even get on some important lists. For me what makes it special is it hits a frequency of at-ease-in-a-bad-world that only Der Krieger & Die Kaiserin and Clockwork Orange also hit. It fits into my own psychology in a way I don't understand. People, check it out, start the movie and see if you're hypnotized too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I also felt hypnotized by Upstream Color, it really grabbed me. I felt a lot of unease when the thief was draining everything from her, almost a mild panic. Then later when they were freaking out because of the piglets.

It's not often movies give me a visceral reaction but I definitely got that with this. It's not all in a bad way, though. I found the ending positively transcendent.

I'm sure it's not like that for everyone but it really affected me and it's pretty rare when a movie can do that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Isn't there a website where you can type in a movie and it will tell you if it's streaming anywhere? Hoping to search more sites than just Netflix and Amazon.

edit; nm, http://www.canistream.it/

wormil has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Oct 16, 2013

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Is anyone else getting Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 on instant but can't stream it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dirty_Money/70286371?trkid=2361637

Dirty Money is a reality show from a couple years back starring John and Jimmy Diresta. One brother buys and sells junk while the other brother, Jimmy, is an artist who turns junk into treasure. The show is worth watching for Jimmy Diresta's creations. He is currently making bimonthly videos for Make Magazine.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
Family Weekend was a movie that I never thought I'd catch myself watching with the missus, but it was actually rather good.

After her preoccupied parents fail to attend her jump-rope competition, 16-year-old Emily Smith-Dungy decides to hold them hostage until they change their attitude. But her plan hits a snag when the police step in.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
I actually quite enjoyed Family Weekend when I watched it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FYI it looks like all streaming is down right now

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's fine here, I'm watching Ken Burns' Civil War as I type this. Which is awesome and highly recommended, by the way.

Related, I just learned that you can download a free PBS streaming app through XBox. I may never get anything done ever again.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Crow Jane posted:

It's fine here, I'm watching Ken Burns' Civil War as I type this. Which is awesome and highly recommended, by the way.

Related, I just learned that you can download a free PBS streaming app through XBox. I may never get anything done ever again.

And I am watching Ken Burns Baseball, so its fine over here too.

Ken Burns really is the best.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah actually, it's working now and the alert's off their site.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
V/H/S 2 has become available recently (and V/H/S is still there too). Netflix doesn't seem to be featuring the sequel yet, but it's there. There's an excellent write-up for these in Cinema Discusso here and here if you're wondering what the big deal is. (thank you forums user axeblaze)

I really enjoyed both of these movies. Since each segment is relatively short, it makes it easy to endure the few duds to get to the good stuff. Oh, and forget about the shaky premise. This works because it showcases the individual filmmakers. The restrictions of the format inspire them to really push the envelope technically & creatively, and the result tends to be way above average for the genre, especially for these segments: Amateur Night, 10/31/98, A Ride in the Park, and Safe Haven (ffffffffuck)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

I just finished watching and I liked it about the same as the first one except for the last segment;my dog died a while back and even if he didn't I don't like animal deaths like that in movies.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

I just finished watching and I liked it about the same as the first one except for the last segment;my dog died a while back and even if he didn't I don't like animal deaths like that in movies.

I almost mentioned that as a trigger warning. Maybe I should have :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I never noticed it was there, but Evil Dead 2 is up, and it's still amazing. Even cheesy practical effects age better than most CGI does.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Woah, looks like The Legend is Born: Ip Man just came out. I have yet to watch it, but absolutely loved the first two movies. This one is set during his younger years when he is still perfecting Wing Chun. Unfortunately it isn't Donnie Yen this time around, but I am sure it's still great.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I didn't like that part either, V/H/S 2 definitely peaks on the second-to-last skit for me. Even without the dog dying I thought the last skit was sort of a weak note to end on, especially compared to how strong the final skit was in the first movie.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Sharknado's up on Amazon Prime :dance:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Holy poo poo was V/H/S/2 terrible. I wasn't expecting much at all as I thought the first V/H/S was pretty awful also, but goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Somm is a documentary about four guys studying for and taking the masters Sommelier exam, so basically 4 guys who are ludicrously passionate about wine. Not the best doc I've seen but very engrossing.

• Locked thread