Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i was planning out a way overly ambitious sci-fi halloween costume complete with laser gun, like, months ago, but then i realized i have no money

i wonder what it would take to build a "laser rifle" around a 100 watt CO2 laser tube, powered by like a leaf blower motor strapped to your back connected to a generator. i know they need active cooling but maybe the motor could run a circulator pump too and then have some heat sinks somewhere iunno.

that would make for a badass costume

shame that CO2 is what like 10 microns, you'd have to add another little laser diode module to it just so you could see the beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

also heh

https://twitter.com/HardSciFiMovies

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hahaha

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

"A programmer finds himself trapped inside a video game. He is eventually fired from his job and evicted from his house."

story checks out

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard posted:

connected to a generator

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

like a small gasoline engine? was that not clear

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

like a small gasoline engine? was that not clear
it actually wasn't because you used the word "motor" and electric leaf blowers exist

anyway why not just use a car battery or something? or would that not be enough? idk i'm not an engineer

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

it'd probably drain a car battery like whoa fast and i don't even know if it could really handle outputting the necessary current which would be several hundred watts at least

i dunno, it's probably not even possible due to some factor that i'm not considering (like "requires 300 pounds of heat sink" or "the power supply takes up an entire cabinet" or something)

i just think it would be cool to have a 100 watt handheld laser (for some value of "handheld")

no idea what you could even do with it though; a pulse laser would be way better for shooting things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can get ~20 - 40 watt industrial IR diode lasers that would meet certain definitions of handheld. it's still really useless though since they need to be watercooled and you need another 50 pounds of optics just to get the beam into something resembling a point rather than an arc.

and yes, the power draw is ridiculous. any battery you could carry would give you a few seconds at full power, then drop off to nil pretty quickly.

just stick with the diodes out of projectors. they're tiny, push 1-2 watts, you can power them off a few D-cells for hours, and they're still powerful enough to burn poo poo when focused.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

alternatively, coilguns are pretty cool and dead simple to build if you want a sci-fi weapon for a costume

then you can plink cans like a bb gun

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

alternatively, coilguns are pretty cool and dead simple to build if you want a sci-fi weapon for a costume

even easier to bring a real gun and shoot people with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

even easier to bring a real gun and shoot people with it

yes, but that seems to lack the sci-fi authenticity.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

infernal machines posted:

just paint it silver and stick lots of brass pipes and gears and stuff all over, it will then be v. sci-fi and impressive to your friends

railgun's definitely the way to go. hauling around a mega-ampere current supply and a dozen replacement rails would probably interfere w/ your beer-drinking more than many other costumes unfortunately.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

blade runner

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i would like a model of deckard's gun, very much.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wait is somebody itt literally considering strapping a gas-powered generator to their back for a halloween costume

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
better that than an unlicensed nuclear accelerator :awesome:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

wait is somebody itt literally considering strapping a gas-powered generator to their back for a halloween costume
yes, we're p. serious about what we post here in the 'pos

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

no idea the context but i must quote blade runner at every mention

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

i would like a model of deckard's gun, very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUULvPJTgk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

:ughh: :negative: :sigh:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it actually wasn't because you used the word "motor" and electric leaf blowers exist

anyway why not just use a car battery or something? or would that not be enough? idk i'm not an engineer

a 100 watt laser would drain a typical car battery in 3-5 seconds so you'd be lugging around a lot of car batteries to put on much of a show

you could switch to a custom liion battery pack to save a lot of weight but you'd need to have active cooling on the battery pack so in a backpack sized power pack it might be a wash idk

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

an super/ultracapacitor would probably be a better way to power a laser than a car battery since it's designed from the start to quickly discharge a whole bunch of energy all at once. it would also be much quicker to charge so you'd just have to plug into a wall socket between shots. or just shoot it while you're plugged into the wall, idk. just smack a bunch of these things in parallel and go to town.

lipos occasionally explode, especially if you sit on it while its in your backpack and then try to charge it or w/e. possibly not the best choice for a party (or the best choice, depending on the party)

comedy option: chemical laser

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
why would you reinvent the wheel when you can just use whatever the ghostbusters used

duh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this loving blonde lady admiral has been nothing but dumb and myopic since her very first appearance. if i wasa member of the admiralty i'd strip and smelt her brass this instant

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Smythe posted:

this loving blonde lady admiral has been nothing but dumb and myopic since her very first appearance. if i wasa member of the admiralty i'd strip and smelt her brass this instant

everyone in starfleet command is terrible

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

im going to see gravity today. is it worth seeing in 3d?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this is yospos its a loving miracle that anyone here can accept movies with sound

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in this ep of ds9 fker bitch quark will use his super semite powerZ to accountant his way out of klingon blood feud

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Gus Hobbleton posted:

this is yospos its a loving miracle that anyone here can accept movies with sound

get out of here with your stupid loving hollywood 'colour film' bullshit, you bunch of loving sheep. sound of music? what a hunk of loving garbage

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

Smythe posted:

if i wasa member of the admiralty i'd strip and smelt her brass this instant

nice euphemism

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gus Hobbleton posted:

watch movies on linux problem solved

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Al! posted:

watch movies on linux problem solved

old but i loled

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Can-O-Raid posted:

get out of here with your stupid loving hollywood 'colour film' bullshit, you bunch of loving sheep. sound of music? what a hunk of loving garbage

nerd teen's ironic post unintentionally reveals profound truth

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ganguro King posted:

im going to see gravity today. is it worth seeing in 3d?

yes, and IMAX if you can swing it

iPhone auto-capitalizes IMAX heh

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

yes, and IMAX if you can swing it

iPhone auto-capitalizes IMAX heh
i have the option of IMAX (not fake IMAX) or RPX (w/ Dolby Atmos) in the same Regal theater, and most people have told me to do RPX instead

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 12, 2013

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i'm gonna see if i can get work to pay for me to go see gravity in imax 3d if i take this indian guy with me

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

holy poo poo gravity was fuckin awesome. def glad i saw it in 3d. there were parts of the movie were i could have started sperging, but it was too exciting to get bogged down in that poo poo. i kinda thought the dolby atmos thing was a bit gimmicky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

• Locked thread