Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Wouldn't mind the were-shark for my Space Sharks army...

Still waffling about the core set; mostly I'm just annoyed that 2 of the models I'd really like are trapped in the $60 part of the core set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Which two models? I might be willing to work out some sort of trade.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Which two models? I might be willing to work out some sort of trade.

But it's no biggie. They will be available at retail later.

E: And possibly this guy to be a Space Shark Librarian.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 10, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That second one is one of my favorites. But because of that, I already have him in metal, so I don't need a squishy version. Are you for sure getting any other groups? Because there are a handful of minis I'd gladly accept in exchange for all three of those, but I don't know what you're planning on getting.

Anyhow, yeah, that's true, they'll be available at retail, but probably not until late Q1 2015, if not Q2. ;)

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
My god, that Dragon Tortoise is a Power Rangers monster, right? I'm not misremembering it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

That second one is one of my favorites. But because of that, I already have him in metal, so I don't need a squishy version. Are you for sure getting any other groups? Because there are a handful of minis I'd gladly accept in exchange for all three of those, but I don't know what you're planning on getting.

Anyhow, yeah, that's true, they'll be available at retail, but probably not until late Q1 2015, if not Q2. ;)

So far I'm only interested in the mouslings, the kraken, and the paint set; not much to trade with there, unless you want the king and princess mousling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, yeah, I guess you'll have to wait. :P

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. It was always going to be a $137k gap between the "Verocithrax" stretch goal and the Core Set Expansion #1 completion stretch goal, but I'd hoped the one following might be a shorter gap. Nope. It's $137k again.

To get to the current stretch goal, Reaper got two better-than-average days first by revealing the completed expansion set #1 (which got some folks to buy in for it) and then by releasing the pledge manager with the add-on values for core set items yesterday. Yesterday was a $48k day with only (net) 92 more pledges. New pledges have steadily tapered off every day since the kickstarter began. At a more "normal" rate of around $30k a day, it'll be five days before we hit the next stretch goal (to complete core set 1) and another five to get to the sharkman/mermaid stretch goal, putting us around october 19th. That's assuming the steady dropoff of new pledges doesn't also translate into a dropoff of dollars-per-day, which it really should.

Kicktraq's projection is now between $1.97M and $2.53M for the whole KS, but it should drop some more in the next handfull of days if Reaper doesn't get a better influx of new pledges from somewhere. Just for reference, Bones I finished at $3.42M.

If I'm harping on this a lot it's because I really want Bones II to outdo Bones I in terms of both value (for me) and success (for Reaper). Makes it more likely we'll get a Bones III eventually. Right now I'm feeling pretty pessimistic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Frankly, I think the value in Bones I was a mistake, probably a costly one, and I think they're being careful to avoid making that mistake again.

From a "fair to both reaper and the customer" standpoint, I bet Bones II is much better than Bones I.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm more optimistic for Bones III than Bones II at this point. I'm actually hoping they cancel this and restructure, but it's already successful enough that it would be a foolish move.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I've done my part: I'm now at $257. I won't be adding Velocithrax or whatever and hitting the + to the core isn't going to get me to put in more money either, so probably this is it from me till at or near the end of the KS.

Bad Munki posted:

Frankly, I think the value in Bones I was a mistake, probably a costly one, and I think they're being careful to avoid making that mistake again.

From a "fair to both reaper and the customer" standpoint, I bet Bones II is much better than Bones I.

I have to keep reminding myself of that, yeah. It's not actually a failure from Reaper's viewpoint if they have a smaller KS. On the other hand, I think they might be discounting the degree to which disappointing ten or fifteen thousand fans can affect their business down the line. We've seen a couple folks in this thread pull out already, and I suspect we'll see more as we get towards the final days.

moths posted:

I'm more optimistic for Bones III than Bones II at this point. I'm actually hoping they cancel this and restructure, but it's already successful enough that it would be a foolish move.

I really can't see that happening unless they see so many cancellations that we actually start going backwards on the total. It would be really embarrassing to the company and possibly alienate many of the 11,700 current backers of this kickstarter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can just imagine:

quote:

Reaper Miniatures Bones II: The Return Of Mr Bones!

Update #45

Yo, we really thought you'd do better than this, but we here at Reaper have decided you're clearly just not into this enough. We're going to shut it all down and come back in six months after you've thought about how you could do better.

PEACE OUT

~Reaper

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Still waiting on that sci fi expansion :sigh:

Hell, just a single sci-fi miniature would be nice, the dude in the steampunk mecha armour is about the closest thing so far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Munki posted:

I can just imagine:

Bones II Redux: Tax return edition

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

bobvonunheil posted:

Still waiting on that sci fi expansion :sigh:

Hell, just a single sci-fi miniature would be nice, the dude in the steampunk mecha armour is about the closest thing so far.

Bones: CAV edition :(

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I suspect CAV will have its own Kickstarter at some point. Though, they have made Bones CAV prototypes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

They've stuck in a new core stretch goal (adding in 50 plain bases) at $1,615,000.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Not surprising. There were a lot of people in the first KS who complained about needing to get a bunch of bases for their Bones.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JackMann posted:

Not surprising. There were a lot of people in the first KS who complained about needing to get a bunch of bases for their Bones.

I'd still like to know a good source to get big old bags of bases for my Bones. :colbert:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd still like to know a good source to get big old bags of bases for my Bones. :colbert:

If you are not picky, looking for educational tiles can find you some options.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
EWant that wereshark. Not sure why, but I do.

Also, the big bag o bases has just been added - how much is it as an add-on, and how good value is that compared to other sources of similar things? I'm starting to run seriously short of plain boring bases.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't know yet: it hasn't actually been added, it's just been announced as an upcoming goal. We won't see it in the pledge calculator or on the infographics until we actually hit that target. Still have about $30k to go.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I wonder if they've considered doing detailed Bones scenic bases in the conventional 40K/WHFB/WMH/etc. sizes and styles. I know they have that one set with detachable stonework bases, but I'm talking about the equivalent of Dragonforge products. If they could make it proportionately cheaper than resin in the same way as normal Bones figures, it could be amazing.

If Bonesium wasn't suitable for the structural part of the base, then maybe ready-made inserts or overlays of some sort.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Peas and Rice posted:

Renedra.

How are you buying hundreds of dollars worth of miniatures and have never heard of Renedra?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They said in the comments the bag o' bases will be ten bucks as an add-on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I use square bases for fantasy stuff (so I can proxy it in warhammer if I want, and so facing is clear on a board game tile). Not that I hate the idea of free bases. And I think it's a very good thing that they've added in a stretch goal that we'll actually hit sooner rather than later.

Also what is "approximately" 50 bases? What, are they measuring them by the scoop?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My guess?

They're going to use their in-house injection mold to make the bases. They might not have made up the mold yet, so they don't know exactly how many per press, which will likely determine how many per "package." So, like, if they do six or eight in a mold, we'll probably see 48. If seven, 49. Nine, and maybe 54.

But that's just a guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Its a 2 ounce bag. I guess the weight of the bases isnt uniform.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
From the comments thread:

quote:

Creator Reaper Miniatures 2 minutes ago

It is our plan to make these bases at our Texas facility, out of the same black material as our current round and square slotted bases.

I assume they're just doing them by weight, so if the thickness or density of the plastic varies slightly, there might be slightly more or less in a bag.

And also, I think the answer to whether they're worth buying is 'probably not if you have to pay for shipping'...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe they're counting 50 per bag, but they don't want to wind up shipping one base each to a bunch of people who count out their bases and accidentally got one fewer than they should. So "approximately" just covers their, ahem, bases, for missing bases.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, Reaper's been looking at the data on the pledge manager, and some interesting stuff's come up. Despite the complaints, pretty much all of the dragons are in the choices for add-ons.

I'm a little surprised, given the number of dragons in KS 1, but I guess there is a method to their madness.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

JackMann posted:

So, Reaper's been looking at the data on the pledge manager, and some interesting stuff's come up. Despite the complaints, pretty much all of the dragons are in the choices for add-ons.

I'm a little surprised, given the number of dragons in KS 1, but I guess there is a method to their madness.

People love dragons.

Sometimes they love them a bit too much.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucnasti posted:

People love dragons.

bonesium dragon dildo confirmed

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So now the bases have been actually added and we can see they come out to $0.20 per. I don't know, I think that's fine? I might add on another bag just to take advantage of the free shipping.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay, been getting news from the comments.

One of the upcoming stretch goals involves "before and after" pairs of minis. Monsters of some sort, apparently. It is possible that one of the sets is of a mimic.

They haven't made any cavalry sculpts for the KS. If they do make any, they'll be existing DHL/Warlord sculpts.

They may be bringing in some of their Anhurians, because they've been requested. Anhurians are one of the factions in Warlords. Fairly simple medieval warrior types. They'd be good as general mooks (guards, soldiers, etc.)

Dinosaurs have been confirmed as not being part of the Kickstarter.

Apparently, the Kraken was going to be the goal after Cthulhu last Kickstarter, but the servers crashed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The bases seem to be ok. Better priced than big sellers, but you can get base options for comparable or less depending on what you will settle on (wooden discs always beat out plastic, but many people wont' use those). Seems reasonable enough if you actually care about bases to begin with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope there are more Karkarians, those models are great (WERESHARKS) but the metal/resin ones are super expensive.

Edit: I learned from the new update that I have to pay sales tax now for some reason

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 11, 2013

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Bucnasti posted:

People love dragons.

If we ignore Kaladrax which was just a stupidly good deal in Bones 1, I do not even own one dragon.

Assuming I want one, which of the ones offered right now is the best deals? I am getting the 50$ expansion so I get I will get the silver one in that.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Imazul posted:

If we ignore Kaladrax which was just a stupidly good deal in Bones 1, I do not even own one dragon.

Assuming I want one, which of the ones offered right now is the best deals? I am getting the 50$ expansion so I get I will get the silver one in that.

Just wait two weeks, there will be some ridiculously huge things later on that will blow away whatever's show now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imazul posted:

I'm actually in for Narthrax. With Sir Forscale there, it's clearly a very big model, a good deal for $12, and it's a more interesting and dynamic pose than the typical "dragon in profile standing there with maybe one claw raised" crap.

Blightfang and Cinder are completely uninteresting to me.

Verocithrax is a more interesting sculpt and also in an interesting pose, but to me the bipedal "come at me bro" stance looks weird and the really skinny proportions are a little odd too. But it's also very big, so I could see why some folks would go for it.

I'm in for the $50 expansion but I really don't care for the Silver Dragon. If there's someone who really wanted it I'd probably trade it with them for, I don't know, something else?

• Locked thread