Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i couldn't immediately see what has changed.

so what has changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Zlodo posted:

i remember PSO on dreamcast and its usage of swatch internet time
http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/internettime/

:rip:

Suckas don't even realize that Mexico is in North America

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

iso would actually require the standard to make sense.

office open xml

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i favour manually altering the earth's rotational and orbital characteristics to eliminate leap seconds

while we're at it let's go for a 360-day year

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

everybody should just use one timezone and one timezone only and get over their stupid 'ughhg i work at 9 and leave at 5' attitude

this. there are so many dumb complications when we could just go "ok i guess the sun sets at 11 AM here and that doesn't really matter because we loving have electricity now"

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
can we go back to having roman style executive appointed holidays? just 14 days a year that the president gets to insert into the calendar at his whim

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
also remove the concept of AM and PM as it's just more useless confusing shite we don't need

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
what we really need to do is get rid of this sun thing that keeps imposing its timezone on us

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qntm posted:

i favour manually altering the earth's rotational and orbital characteristics to eliminate leap seconds

while we're at it let's go for a 360-day year

agreed but lets shoot for 25-hour days and redefine a week as 8 days

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this. there are so many dumb complications when we could just go "ok i guess the sun sets at 11 AM here and that doesn't really matter because we loving have electricity now"

unironically agreeing with tbc in the pl thread

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Just live far enough up north or down south that days and nights are 6 months a year, so that you can just pick any drat time zone you please and use that.

Works very well for Iceland.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

Just live far enough up north or down south that days and nights are 6 months a year, so that you can just pick any drat time zone you please and use that.

pfft, iceland is almost completely south of the arctic circle.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

office open xml

it took ten years, millions of dollars, and thousands of blowjobs to pound ooxml through iso

the process works. mostly. iso's reputation went from "we only standardize sane things" to "we will make it very painful to standardize your insane puddle of crap"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Posting Principle posted:

can we go back to having roman style executive appointed holidays? just 14 days a year that the president gets to insert into the calendar at his whim

really up to the modern age people didn't work that much

the romans had like 150 holidays a year when you include all their religious festivals and poo poo. medieval world wasn't that much different. 6 and 7 day work weeks sound terrible until you realize you will spend half the "working" days partying

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

then they blow whatever efficiency gains may be had by using a moon-language that's almost as grammatically complex as classical latin and greek and has words with three 'y's in a row

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

really up to the modern age people didn't work that much

the romans had like 150 holidays a year when you include all their religious festivals and poo poo. medieval world wasn't that much different. 6 and 7 day work weeks sound terrible until you realize you will spend half the "working" days partying

"growth"

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
2019-02-19 02:19:00, boom, done

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
okay i open this thread at 4 new posts and I'm completely lost

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Otto Skorzeny posted:

then they blow whatever efficiency gains may be had by using a moon-language that's almost as grammatically complex as classical latin and greek and has words with three 'y's in a row

yeah, but...

vikings

:black101:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

is there anything else in iceland than eve online and björk anyways?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Zlodo posted:

is there anything else in iceland than eve online and björk anyways?

financial crises

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zlodo posted:

is there anything else in iceland than eve online, björk and sigur ros anyways?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tef posted:

They've all changed over time.

One day we will eliminate leap seconds, daylight savings, and tai offsets. ONE DAY

I WANT TO BELIEVE

how long until the earths rotation slows enough that well have to start skipping seconds to catch up instead of putting in leap seconds

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Wheany posted:

i couldn't immediately see what has changed.

so what has changed?

true, false, null, numbers and strings are now valid json. this wasn't a problem before because everyone agreed having to wrap them with arrays was dumb. the real problems (u2028 and u2029, escaping forward slashes, trailing commas and undefined key order) were not addressed

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

fritz posted:

how long until the earths rotation slows enough that well have to start skipping seconds to catch up instead of putting in leap seconds

you've got it backwards, the fact that the rotation is slowing down means that we need to put leap seconds in. the question is how long will it be until there are 86400.5 seconds in a day on average. nobody knows the answer to that b/c stuff that changes the mass distribution can affect the rotation speed b/c of conservation of angular momentum

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

you've got it backwards, the fact that the rotation is slowing down means that we need to put leap seconds in. the question is how long will it be until there are 86400.5 seconds in a day on average. nobody knows the answer to that b/c stuff that changes the mass distribution can affect the rotation speed b/c of conservation of angular momentum

oh jeez youre right, i feel dumb now sorry errybody

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Iceland fact: Norse paganism is still the most practiced non-christian religion with 0.68% of the population, and has been on a steady rise since the 70s :black101:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Iceland fact: Norse paganism is still the most practiced non-christian religion with 0.68% of the population, and has been on a steady rise since the 70s :black101:

so that is what, 68 people? 69?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so that is what, 68 people? 69?

a bit over 2000

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Timezones are the easy bit, scheduling is the hard bit. How do you send out an invite for a skype meeting on the 1st Tuesday of every month when you're not even sure if everyone has "Tuesdays"?

Would all be solved if they just taught the truth of 4 day earth rotation in schools though.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

is there a jailbreak tweak to use stardate on my phone?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

a bit over 2000

"six degrees of kevin bacon" or i guess "six degrees of the icelandic prime minister" has got to be either really boring or really exciting on an island that small/isolated

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i'm going to iceland in 3 weeks for my vacation :3

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
and i saw bjork live back in the summer :h:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"six degrees of kevin bacon" or i guess "six degrees of the icelandic prime minister" has got to be either really boring or really exciting on an island that small/isolated

apparently they have a smartphone app so you can determine before hooking up with someone that it's not incestuous.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does erlang work on windows or is it a clown show like most plangs?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i don't fancy cjing my enviro variables or whatever the gently caress
i need it to just work

can it do that?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

no languages work on windows except c#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

git clone trooper posted:

no languages work on windows except c#

nobody bothers trying to get anything else to work because they know they've already lost