Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Office Thug posted:

What's the best way to deal with enemies spawning on top of your houses? I made a cool-as-gently caress floating castle entirely out of bone and poo poo like zombies keep spawning all over the place right on top of it.

Lava, dart traps/boulders/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Enallyniv posted:

I swear half my decent spelunking expeditions end in an accidental Mirror-port, after which I remember why I never keep that loving thing on my bars.
Are you misscrolling or accidentally selecting the mirror with a stray mouseclick? I know I tend to keep the mirror on 0 and used to have a problem with stray clicks and accidental teleports.

If that's the problem, there should be a lock icon next to the bar when you open your inventory, and it turns off mouseclick selection of items on the bar.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fish Noise posted:

If that's the problem, there should be a lock icon next to the bar when you open your inventory, and it turns off mouseclick selection of items on the bar.

Jesus christ how have I never noticed this.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Anyone had any luck finding rainbow slimes? The wiki says hallow biomes when it's raining, but I've only ever found one despite heading to the hallow during 6 or 7 rainstorms.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That's what that button does? I clicked it and didn't notice anything so I just ignore it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jackard posted:

"- People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up"

Thank god, this was really loving annoying
Whoops, turns out this was never actually fixed! I'm still automatically picking up poo poo from chests whenever I open them. :downs:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cicadalek posted:

Anyone had any luck finding rainbow slimes? The wiki says hallow biomes when it's raining, but I've only ever found one despite heading to the hallow during 6 or 7 rainstorms.

They are definitely a rare spawn, I've only seen one.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

They're fairly rare. If you're lucky enough to get a Blood Moon while it's raining you'll find a bunch of them. You'll probably want some kind of fortress built if you're gonna spend a Blood Moon in the Hallow, though, because there will be more Gastropods in the sky than stars.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Powercrazy posted:

They are definitely a rare spawn, I've only seen one.

I just found two within five minutes. I might have gotten lucky, and they're certainly rare, but I think the trick is that they only seem to appear at night during rain.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is the "I'm a newbie, what do :saddowns:" pretty much the same post-patch as it was pre-patch, i.e. Just Start Digging? I haven't played this in at least half a year.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

Is the "I'm a newbie, what do :saddowns:" pretty much the same post-patch as it was pre-patch, i.e. Just Start Digging? I haven't played this in at least half a year.

I hadn't played since launch and I found it pretty easy to get back in the swing of things. The progression is similar to the way its always been, just a lot more stuff now. So yeah, Just Dig It.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Are you looking to encounter the new stuff the big patch added, or just progress through the game in general?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mzbundifund posted:

Are you looking to encounter the new stuff the big patch added, or just progress through the game in general?

The whole game, really--last time I played I never really got very far at all.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
After burning through all the new content and becoming a living god I've decided to go back to basics and start an entirely new hardcore character. It's pretty scary and really makes you think about what you're doing but it is nice to actually value things like silver again, if only for a little while.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Just dig and if you ever find that you hit a point where you don't really know where to head next then just pop back in here and tell us where you're at and we can tell you where you can go from there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The first part of the game really hasn't changed that much. You might find a few ores that replace the ones you're used to, but you pretty much play the same until hard mode. If you're interested in the new content, you might want to check your world has a crimson, and maybe if you're feeling adventurous some trees and a pyramid, but you can always just jump to a different world later if you get invested in one that doesn't have everything. You pretty much play the same game as before, just there's a load more after it ends. There's not too much that isn't just potential replacements for thing's you're used to that make each world a little unique. Most of the newer monsters and interesting items are things you won't be doing too much with until at least Hard Mode, and you won't really be playing with a lot of it until you're at the stage approaching fighting the hard mode bosses.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

voltron lion force posted:

I hadn't played since launch and I found it pretty easy to get back in the swing of things. The progression is similar to the way its always been, just a lot more stuff now. So yeah, Just Dig It.

I think the problem might be the wiki. It's full of useful information but when i last looked at it i couldn't find a progression guide of any kind.

Terraria, for all it's sandboxy goodness, is still a fairly linear game that requires you to do things in a very precise set of steps if you want to have an easy time of it, but i've not really come across anything that outlines the exact steps you kinda need to take to gradually progress your way through the whole thing. Steps like "build x, y and then z" before taking on "boss 1".

I'm positive there was something like that when i first played it years ago, but I might just be misremembering odd pieces of information pulled from the threads here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kin posted:

I think the problem might be the wiki. It's full of useful information but when i last looked at it i couldn't find a progression guide of any kind.

There's this one that I used a bit: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough

It doesn't have new 1.2 stuff yet, though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kin posted:

Terraria, for all it's sandboxy goodness, is still a fairly linear game that requires you to do things in a very precise set of steps if you want to have an easy time of it,

Actually it's not really linear at all. I mean, it does have a pretty straight forward progression but the game allows you to sequence break. You can go from wood/copper straight to demonite/crimtane, trigger hardmode, and go straight to the dungeon for ectoplasm gear.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

voltron lion force posted:

Jesus christ how have I never noticed this.
A lot of things going on with the interface were put in to address problems with prior versions of the interface. So they come across as somewhat obvious to people who had to deal with the earlier problems, but to anyone unfamiliar with the entire history, it's just kind of "uh, wait, what?" For instance, that lock icon was put in specifically to address stray clicks hitting the quick select bar, and anyone who had that problem, then noticed the sudden appearance of the icon after a major patch could put 2 and 2 together and go "does this do what I think it does?!"

Warframe, of all things, has a similar situation going on with its UI.

I did a couple UI test of Terraria and I assure you, just as I assured more than one tester, that no, you are not the retarded one in this situation.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mostly, it's fairly obvious where you should be going next in terms of locations and bosses, and the game is pretty good at ensuring you encounter them at the right time. Unless you're really trying, you're unlikely to skip crimson/corruption and head straight to the jungle or dungeon, and when you do you'll almost certainly learn pretty quickly it's somewhere you're not supposed to go yet. I feel like the only place the game really does badly at letting you progress easily is telling you what order you can get ores in. Particularly in hard mode where you're pretty thoroughly locked in to the gear progression, I feel like it needs something to let you know what to look for next. Even if there were an item or the guide had a menu that showed you images of the blocks you can mine with the equipped pick, or something you could use on a block to tell you what pickaxe power you need to mine it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of UI, is there anyway to use potions in your inventory without having to drag them to your character? Ditto with the Magic Mirror.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

RatHat posted:

Speaking of UI, is there anyway to use potions in your inventory without having to drag them to your character? Ditto with the Magic Mirror.

That's what the hotbar is for.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
There's also the hotkeys for potions and grappling hook. I don't remember what the default keys are, but there's one for health, one for mana, and one for grappling hook.

You can also just drag them from your inventory and click anywhere on the screen, not just your character.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr Tasty posted:

You can also just drag them from your inventory and click anywhere on the screen, not just your character.

:aaa: Ok this helps a lot.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

RatHat posted:

There's H for autopotions (uses the first healing one in your inventory) and I think M for mana? If I recall correctly there's one that uses you available buff potions too.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

RatHat posted:

Press H. It'll use the first potion (considering left before right, up before down) in your inventory -- make sure it's not a stupid mushroom.

J will use the first mana potion, and B will use all the buff potions you have at once.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Diabloists are douchebags. :mad:. That fireball has killed me more times than everything else combined and they won't. Stay. Still. The only way I've been able to kill them consistently is to launch Magnet Spheres in every direction and then run around so they repeatedly teleport into them. Screw those guys.

The game could stand with a little bit better spell progression. Right now it's basically Ruby\Diamond Staff -> Hardmode -> Frostbolt or Crystal Shards + Nimbus if you get Lucky -> Godly gently caress Everything Up Hardmode Dungeon Fun Time. Pretty much every spell in the hardmode dungeon is broken as hell. I don't know why you'd ever go melee.

Is there any secret to farming biome chest keys besides battle potions and tons of grinding? I got a frost key and the Ice Hydra staff so now I have a little hydra bro to hose my enemies down with ice but I need more.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
build my first base that took some :effort:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, just jam your potions in slot one or next to your tools/weapons. You probably don't need 10 different items in your hotbar and even if it's in the top left of the inventory, there's nothing like using a boss item or finishing placing a stack of blocks or ropes and accidentally picking up a fish or a mushroom. You're halfway through a bossfight, but you went to the bottom platform of your arena and in the slot which used to house your mechanical skull, you picked up mushroom torn from the ground by your megashark. You're on low health, but so is skeletron prime. Even with your philosophers stone which took you hours to farm for and then even longer to get together the gold to reforge, you're still only just healing enough to stay alive. Your cooldown runs out. You press H. But no, you didn't just use the greater healing potion in the top left of your inventory. No, you used the mushroom that got dragged up when you moved down the arena. You just healed 20 health. It's another 45 seconds until you have a proper heal, and to get to it you'd have to rearrange your inventory, a stop you can ill afford. You die. It's not 3:30 in the morning. No way do you have the time tonight to try again. Another attempt failed.

Children, potion management is even more important when you're using hotkeys. Only you can prevent healing disasters.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Blackheart posted:

There's H for autopotions (uses the first healing one in your inventory) and I think M for mana? If I recall correctly there's one that uses you available buff potions too.

B uses all buffs in your inventory, which is good for setting up a boss fight. Bad if you're dungeon crawling and you accidentally pop a grav potion or water-walking, though.

Also, I too did not know about the locking option. This makes things simple!

Edit: ^ Heavy Neutrino beat me like the Eye of Cthulhu on that one.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Other useful hotkeys:

E fires the first grappling hook-type item in your inventory.
M brings up the full-screen map, letting you scroll over the whole world map so you can get a quick look at everything you've ever seen.
If you hold shift you auto select items, meaning the game will switch the active item depending on what you're mousing over (pickaxe on a block, axe on a tree, sword on a zombie, etc.), and if you just hold the cursor far away you hold out a torch.
F9 lets you toggle through the lighting settings, which range from "pretty" to "actually useful". You can do this from the main menu but it's kinda nice to be able to swap them around in-game. I generally like to have the more colorful lights but sometimes I need to switch to retro lighting really quick so I can see what the gently caress I'm doing.

PlotDevice posted:

Is there any secret to farming biome chest keys besides battle potions and tons of grinding? I got a frost key and the Ice Hydra staff so now I have a little hydra bro to hose my enemies down with ice but I need more.

If you've beaten Plantera and gotten the Pygmy Staff, buy its two upgrades from the Witch Doctor then gather a bunch of meteor. Go to the biome you want the key from, place enough meteor that Meteor Heads start spawning, summon your forest friends, then just go for a walk or something. Placing a Water Candle would probably help.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 11, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

If you've beaten Plantera and gotten the Pygmy Staff, buy its two upgrades from the Witch Doctor then gather a bunch of meteor. Go to the biome you want the key from, place enough meteor that Meteor Heads start spawning, summon your forest friends, then just go for a walk or something. Placing a Water Candle would probably help.

He sells 5 upgrades, 3 pieces of Tiki Armour and the two accessories. Though you certainly don't need all of that to farm Meteor Heads, they're very weak. Oh, and you have to hold a Water Candle in your active hotbar slot for it to do anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

If you want to see roughly everything in a given world here's a fair start. You can sequence break this a lot once you understand the game.

Day 1: Make a house.

Collect wood and stone, and kill at least one slime to get a gel. Craft a workbench out of wood and place it down, then stand near it to get access to new crafting recipes. Build a house for the guide and yourself. A house consists of a solid barrier of player-placed blocks with no gaps in it except for doors or wooden platforms. The house needs to be about 8 blocks high, ten blocks wide. The house needs a table, a chair, (craft out of wood while near the workbench) and a light source (make a torch out of slime gels and wood). Finally the house needs a background wall. Make stone or wooden background walls at the workbench. Background walls prevent enemy spawns in that area and allow the room to be considered a house.

Day 2: Arm and explore

Collect more wood, make a wooden broadsword and wooden armor at the workbench, maybe a bow and arrows if you have enough wood and stone. Go exploring along the surface and kill things. Smash pots and loot any chests you see. If you run into the jungle or the corruption, turn back. The desert or the ice biome is fine though.

Day 3: House the merchant.

If you have at least 50 silver from your explorations, then make another house for the merchant. Make a bunch of torches, then find a cave and start exploring. Mine any shiny ores you see, loot chests, especially collect crystal hearts and use them immediately to increase your max hp. Your goal is to get at least 15 iron (or 15 lead) ore.

Day 4: Return home, and make a furnace out of stone, wood, and torches. Use the furnace to smelt all your ores into bars, and use the iron or lead to make an anvil. Now you can make metal tools and weaopns.

Day 5: Explore caves, mining ore and upgrading your gear, getting as deep as you can. Collect a bunch of cobwebs, and keep smashing pots until you find some bombs or grenades.

Day 6: Make new houses. If you found a bomb, you'll attract a demolitions dwarf to sell more bombs to you. If you found a crystal heart, you'll attract a nurse who can heal you instantly for a little money. Buy a bunch of bombs and craft them together with gels to make sticky bombs. Now you can just huck them at ore or walls to mine quickly and easily. Make a sawmill, then a loom, then craft your cobwebs into silk. Craft silk and wood to make a bed, which lets you set it as your spawn point. Loot gems and valuable metals from the deep earth.

Day 7: Have you found a spooky looking altar anywhere in your travels? If you haven't check down a hole in the corruption. Collect at least 6 lenses from the floating eyes that attack you at night and bring them to the altar to craft a Spooky Looking Eye. Use the eye at night for Fun. If it's too much Fun for you, then try to upgrade your long-range options, or build an area where it's easier for you to have Fun. Check the various merchants in your town for things that might be helpful.

By now you should understand the basics. Ask the guide about any new items you find to see what you can make out of them, explore deeper and more dangerous biomes, kill things, build more houses every so often to see if you qualify to attract new NPCs. Do reckless things to attract Fun. If you've done all this, ask again for more tips on where to go next.

Throw the doll in the lava.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Read posted:

Oh, and you have to hold a Water Candle in your active hotbar slot for it to do anything.

Not as of 1.2 you don't.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So is anyone running a non-hardmode server? It'd be cool to check out the new game from the start but it looks like SpeedRazor's servers are all hardmode right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The lack of autoswing being the default for everything is getting to be really loving absurd at this point. I don't know what Red's got against people having hands that don't cramp up but it's annoying as gently caress and getting to be inexcusable. I guess I'll stick to the tried and true method of relying on picks, then a muramasa, then a lightsaber, then excalibur with the occasional spell or buster sword if I need to hold something back that a + knockback mura/saber can't handle. Is there something in a config file I can edit to make all weapons autoswing so I can play without limiting my gear or suffering severe hand/wrist pain due to clickin over and over?

Random spawns of the hardmode bosses is fun though. Had the destroyer show up the first night after hardmode was enabled and proceeded to get my rear end handed to me.

KataraniSword posted:

Sounds to me like it needs a Dwarf Fortress treatment: add more spikes and/or lava.

Except spikes only hurt you and not enemies (since it'd probably make the dungeon a bit easy to deal with). :(

A thin coating of lava solves all your walking enemy problems though.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

J.A.B.C. posted:

B uses all buffs in your inventory, which is good for setting up a boss fight. Bad if you're dungeon crawling and you accidentally pop a grav potion or water-walking, though.

Also, I too did not know about the locking option. This makes things simple!

Edit: ^ Heavy Neutrino beat me like the Eye of Cthulhu on that one.

B is also bad if you've picked up a gills potion. Nothing like air drowning yourself from an accidental quaff of one of those.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

B is also bad if you've picked up a gills potion. Nothing like air drowning yourself from an accidental quaff of one of those.

Right click buffs in the hotbar to turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A lack of Demon Scythe drops is getting on my nerves. loving demons. :argh:

• Locked thread