Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sade posted:

Aight, fair enough. I can't imagine they wouldn't give you a way to re-acquire mega stones though.

You mean like legendaries? :confused: They already do that kinda stuff.

Bland posted:

Man the game isn't even officially released yet and I've already caught a shiny, gold horns Skiddo is pretty balling. What a shame I'll never use him though.

Just find a goon that has a shiny you do want and trade. The trade system is finally painless this gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Opposing Farce posted:

I presume they're still committed to their baffling policy of not having your Pokemon follow you around anymore, right?

YES :smith: :smith: :smith:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

jymbojones posted:

Goddamnit. I really want a physical copy, but nowhere near me is doing a midnight release. I have the space for the digital DL, but something about that just feels "wrong", I guess. I don't know what to do, ugh.

I'm going for Y as physical and X as digital download. Gonna play a bit of X tonight because I am a child on xmas eve and literally can't wait and play Y properly when I get it tomorrow.

I figure if I do that then I can catch 'em all too! :shobon:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

It took them a decade to finally remember what Yellow did right and they immediately dropped the ball again. It's like they don't even realize that any new features they add will always be inferior to the best feature ever.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Your pokemon show in the bag, allowing for easy potions/hold items. GOTY

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The logistics of having your Pokemon follow you around in a 3D game must be staggering. I didn't expect them to have that working right away.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Do you want to trade your Lugia for my level 3 Bunnelby? I see gts hasn't changed much.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dastardly posted:

Do you want to trade your Lugia for my level 3 Bunnelby? I see gts hasn't changed much.

You should see the trade bulletin boards in TCGO. "Two common Magmars for your Mewtwo EX."

Or my favorite, "my non-foil trainer for your foil trainer." They're the same trainer card.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Infestation has a horrifying animation :stare:

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Denn du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst was es ist.

Slate Action posted:

The logistics of having your Pokemon follow you around in a 3D game must be staggering. I didn't expect them to have that working right away.

That doesn't excuse Gen 5. :mad:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Der Metzgermeister posted:

Weren't HG/SS and B/W developed nearly simultaneously by separate teams?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hey there was that one house that let you run around with a Meinfoo behind you!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The game that made following Pokemon was developed at the same time as Gen V. The feature was never intended beyond being a feature in the remake.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Slate Action posted:

On the other hand, this would be the easiest Gen to do it. They already have the models. Just use them in the overworld. I know it's not as simple as that, but I could see either the third game or Gen 7 having it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Oh I'm on the first route, just got my pokeon. Oh someone wants to internet battle me. Sure. Let's try that. He has a full team of evolved pokemon. gently caress you that guy

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I've heard rumours that the shiny rate has dropped this gen. Does anyone know if this is true? Or is there really no way of telling yet?

Edit: I meant raised, I am just terrible at Maths.

No More Toast fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 11, 2013

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Denn du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst was es ist.

Slate Action posted:

Weren't HG/SS and B/W developed nearly simultaneously by separate teams?

It was done in that one park in DPP, though. They put it in the remakes because of popular demand, so it baffles me that it wasn't on the feature list for Gen 5.

Dehry posted:

The game that made following Pokemon was developed at the same time as Gen V. The feature was never intended beyond being a feature in the remake.

Opposing Farce got this one right:

Opposing Farce posted:

It took them a decade to finally remember what Yellow did right and they immediately dropped the ball again. It's like they don't even realize that any new features they add will always be inferior to the best feature ever.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

No More Toast posted:

I've heard rumours that the shiny rate has dropped this gen. Does anyone know if this is true? Or is there really no way of telling yet?

It's already 1 in 8192, so Nintendo lowering the rate would be one of the biggest rear end in a top hat moves imaginable.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

No More Toast posted:

The shiny rate was already so staggeringly low that there's no way to actually be able to tell this without having cracked the game open and looked at the numbers.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

On the other hand, this would be the easiest Gen to do it. They already have the models. Just use them in the overworld. I know it's not as simple as that, but I could see either the third game or Gen 7 having it.

The sprites used to follow you around were different from the sprites used in battle. If the same goes for models, I think that would have delayed the game by at least a month. Riding around pokemon are sized to be ridden, but having them follow you everywhere, in 3d would almost definitely lead to crazy clipping shenanigans.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

No More Toast posted:

That would be hillariously overkill.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So are the new games available for download via Nintendo E-shop? If not, when can I expect them to be ready for download? I'm in MST if that matters.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Unbound posted:

So are the new games available for download via Nintendo E-shop? If not, when can I expect them to be ready for download? I'm in the MST Timeszone if that matters.

Midnight EST, so 10pm for you? I am bad at timezones.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I asked this earlier, but it was lost in the hubbub over Alakazam.

If I'm able to connect to the 3DS e-shop at home, will I be able to use the GTS and such without problems in X and Y?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

^^^^^
Dumb question but did you set up your 3DS's wifi settings for DS emulation? it's something like Nintendo DS connections in the internet settings.

Solus posted:

Oh I'm on the first route, just got my pokeon. Oh someone wants to internet battle me. Sure. Let's try that. He has a full team of evolved pokemon. gently caress you that guy

Wait, you can get random internet challenges just by walking around?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 11, 2013

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Slate Action posted:

Yes,and they already had to limit the amount of new pokemon due to the amount of 3D models they had to make for each pokemon, so why the hell are some of you guys expecting them to add pokemon following you? :psyduck:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

jymbojones posted:

I have a set of twin cousins that just turned 11 like 2 weeks ago. They are hype as poo poo about it and when I saw them last month they talked to me about "advanced" pokemon stuff for like 3 hours. I love those little shits. For some perspective, I'm 29 (30 soon :( )

Hah, I know the feeling. My 8 year old nephew talks my ear off for hours every time we see each other.

(And 30 isn't that bad. I thought something was going to change in some way, but nah, just finished it to see 31.):corsair:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Unbound posted:

So are the new games available for download via Nintendo E-shop? If not, when can I expect them to be ready for download? I'm in MST if that matters.

Midnight eastern US time, so x many hours before midnight your time zone is ahead of the east coast.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
So has anyone found the Umbreonite yet? I want my dream to come true :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slate Action posted:

I'm not seeing what's so staggering about it.

I'm a game dev and I'm usually against armchair programming analysis, but what exactly about this seems so complicated? Just having a model follow behind you is pretty simple, ESPECIALLY since they decided to force a tile system instead of going full 3D movement.

The only concern I can come up with that would be complicated would be making sure the pokemon doens't get in your way and block you from going somewhere. But they could always just have the pokemon like leapfrog over and behind you if you try to walk past them, and that's the easiest solution. There's better solutions that would take more work, but no more than any other game feature, and less than most.

I suppose for some pokemon they would have to make a full walk cycle, because even though they move in battles, they don't move continuously, just kinda stagger around. But some pokemon would just levitate anyways, and some of them you could just loop some keyframes from their battle animations... well I guess that might not look well.

I guess the real problem is just holy poo poo there's so many pokemon now :stare:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't use the 3D jump as an excuse to reboot the series and pokemon count.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I asked this earlier, but it was lost in the hubbub over Alakazam.

If I'm able to connect to the 3DS e-shop at home, will I be able to use the GTS and such without problems in X and Y?

Should be fine, yeah. 3DS games have more wifi support than DS games did. If you can use it for e-shop, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for games.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 11, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The only concern I can come up with that would be complicated would be making sure the pokemon doens't get in your way and block you from going somewhere. But they could always just have the pokemon like leapfrog over and behind you if you try to walk past them, and that's the easiest solution. There's better solutions that would take more work, but no more than any other game feature, and less than most.

Clipping. Some Pokemon are very large.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Should be fine, yeah. 3DS games have more wifi support than DS games did. If you can use it for e-shop, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for games.

Jesus, people won't shut up about there being 'only' 70 new Pokemon. Can you imagine what they'd do with that?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
What kind of base stats does Auroros have? I really want to use it, but god it's defense types are terrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Clipping. Some Pokemon are very large.

Meh, in the games previously where they followed you around, they didn't go for strict realism in size. All pokemon just took up a single tile. I don't think that'd be so bad to have a snorlax just slightly scaled to fit on a tile, but maybe it wouldn't look right, IDK. :v:

That's a fair concern.

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, people won't shut up about there being 'only' 70 new Pokemon. Can you imagine what they'd do with that?

Yeah, I imagine that's why they put off going 3D for so long. They decided if anybody's favorite species isn't in there then they'll be upset (fair enough), so going 3D meant doing hundreds of 3D models and animations.

But its not like you can catch all the pokemon in the wild anyways, so that seems a little silly to me. Lots of pokemon won't appear in X or Y at all until they add the pokemon bank early next year.

Similarly they could just patch in the other pokemon after rebooting it, or start with a 3D version of Red/Blue only, and slowly introduce the generations in waves.

Whatever, they did it this way, and it works.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 11, 2013

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

DrManiac posted:

^^^^^
Dumb question but did you set up your 3DS's wifi settings for DS emulation? it's something like Nintendo DS connections in the internet settings.

I can connect to the e-store just fine, but it won't connect as a DS. Is this going to be a problem? :ohdear:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So has anyone found the Umbreonite yet? I want my dream to come true :sigh:

There's no way they would give any of the evee evolutions a mega form without doing the same for all the others. I base this on nothing but my own gut feeling.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Gonna get Y at midnight with the eshop. 7 hours left!

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Slate Action posted:

It's already 1 in 8192, so Nintendo lowering the rate would be one of the biggest rear end in a top hat moves imaginable.

DheeradjS posted:

That would be hillariously overkill.

LAY-ZX posted:

The shiny rate was already so staggeringly low that there's no way to actually be able to tell this without having cracked the game open and looked at the numbers.

I'm an idiot. :downs: My thought was that if it went from 1/8192 to 1/4000 (as an example) the number would be going down, right? :downs:

Yeah, I meant that shiny pokemon would be more common. I guess I'll just have to wait and see; it does sound like a rumour that might pop up every generation.

Zaphod42 posted:

Meh, in the games previously where they followed you around, they didn't go for strict realism in size. All pokemon just took up a single tile. I don't think that'd be so bad to have a snorlax just slightly scaled to fit on a tile, but maybe it wouldn't look right, IDK. :v:

That's a fair concern.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if only certain pokemon were allowed to follow you, maybe only those of a certain size. I'd be happy if they just did the starters following you, but that might be because I played the hell out of Yellow when I was a kid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I can connect to the e-store just fine, but it won't connect as a DS. Is this going to be a problem? :ohdear:

No, you're fine. 3DS games support the wifi networks that your 3DS e-shop does, but DS does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Only certain DS games (Black and White specifically) let you use WPA2 encryption. anything earlier than that (Gen 4) won't be able to connect unless you're using WEP on your router.

Regardless, if you can connect to the eshop you shouldn't have any problems with the internet stuff in X/Y

• Locked thread