Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

An intranet article came in:

intranet posted:

We have detected unauthorized changes to the payroll system. An usually large number of people have apparently had their account number changed last month. All transfers to employees who have had their account number changed have been frozen and we are contacting the affected employees to verify the correct account number.

This has been reported to the police and the information security commissioner.

:catstare:

No further information was given. Time will tell, but the utter shitstorm that'll erupt if this was an external breach will be epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

Our IT managers have the same mortal fear of the cloud, but with better reason. A few of our executives thought it would be a great idea to use Dropbox to correspond on project. We caught them through the sheer amount of bandwidth being used, as they were uploading 5-20Gb PST files and sharing them to people outside the company. :argh:

This happened at a company I worked for some years back. One of the newly minted DMs at the company wanted to promote friendly rivalry between the stores in his district and share information by creating spreadsheets with account IDs, profit margins, financial information, etc. on them. He then turned around and hosted them all on Google Docs.

I only found out about it weeks after it had been done when one of the stores called in to get their Google password reset.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a few weeks ago one of my customers sent in their laptop. It was running extremely slow and was posting a message about needing to backup as the hard drive was failing. My first though was a virus but when i received the system and did some diagnostics the hard drive did turn out to be failing. The notebook was out of warranty so the client had to buy a new hard drive. I send it off to sales and after 3 weeks I received the drive yesterday. So today I pull the drive out of the notebook and go to remove the drive from the drive caddy when i notice this:

Well played Toshiba.

Edit: They used 4 screws to secure it to the drive...

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 11, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

blackswordca posted:

So a few weeks ago one of my customers sent in their laptop. It was running extremely slow and was posting a message about needing to backup as the hard drive was failing. My first though was a virus but when i received the system and did some diagnostics the hard drive did turn out to be failing. The notebook was out of warranty so the client had to buy a new hard drive. I send it off to sales and after 3 weeks I received the drive yesterday. So today I pull the drive out of the notebook and go to remove the drive from the drive caddy when i notice this:

Well played Toshiba.

Edit: They used 4 screws to secure it to the drive...

What are we supposed to be looking at there? Lots of laptops have flexible sleeves like that around the HDD. Was the drive rattling around loose in its compartment or something?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Entropic posted:

What are we supposed to be looking at there? Lots of laptops have flexible sleeves like that around the HDD. Was the drive rattling around loose in its compartment or something?

they do? This is the first I've seen like this. All other laptops I have worked with in the past have ridged trays that screwed on or nothing at all.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Entropic posted:

I was wondering that myself.

I've got some Dell E6400's that don't have them (just the plastic end), but I've got a shitload of D520's that have sleds. I'm pretty sure the E5510's also have them. The 2 lovely Toshiba's my mom has also have them.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

KweezNArt posted:

This happened at a company I worked for some years back. One of the newly minted DMs at the company wanted to promote friendly rivalry between the stores in his district and share information by creating spreadsheets with account IDs, profit margins, financial information, etc. on them. He then turned around and hosted them all on Google Docs.
How fast was he fired after this was discovered?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bishyaler posted:

Our IT managers have the same mortal fear of the cloud, but with better reason. A few of our executives thought it would be a great idea to use Dropbox to correspond on project. We caught them through the sheer amount of bandwidth being used, as they were uploading 5-20Gb PST files and sharing them to people outside the company. :argh:

I think this is going to be an increasing problem for IT departments. I apologize in advance for how buzzword-filled this is going to sound. I swear I am writing it right now, not copying it from Infoworld or whatever.

IT is going to become increasingly consumerized as home technology use increases. People are going to get used to being able to get to any of their poo poo from wherever they are -- it's already happening. They're going to do it with work stuff too, whether we like it or not. The average user doesn't draw any distinction between home and work computing, even though there are important differences, they just get annoyed when they can't get to their data. And we're going to wind up having to deal with it, so it would really behoove us to get in on it early while we still have the ability to dictate. By not offering an in-house solution, or at least a secure third-party one, we're going to end up shut out and there are going to be consequences.

Look at what happened with flash drives. People got used to putting their personal poo poo on them, because they're convenient and portable. As a result, they also started using them for work. Nowhere but the most locked-down employers (e.g., defense contractors) actually forbids them, and as a result they're all over the loving place creating security problems.

Very few people are offering a convenient in-house option for (offsite) online data access. We offer VPNs to our employees, but we make them jump through stupid hoops to get an account, and it's way less convenient to use than Dropbox. Consequently, every time I turn around one of my users is using Dropbox instead. I warn them not to put confidential data on it any chance I get, but I shudder to think of how many people just haven't told me they're using it.

The fact that there are drawbacks to consumer tech isn't going to matter. There are all kinds of good reasons not to use Apple products in an enterprise environment right now. Guess what's all over my loving enterprise?

I've mentioned this to my boss, but we have no power to actually get any of it done, and it is going to bite us in the rear end.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

Very few people are offering a convenient in-house option for (offsite) online data access. We offer VPNs to our employees, but we make them jump through stupid hoops to get an account, and it's way less convenient to use than Dropbox. Consequently, every time I turn around one of my users is using Dropbox instead. I warn them not to put confidential data on it any chance I get, but I shudder to think of how many people just haven't told me they're using it.

Just check with PDQ Inventory or powershell? I get a notification from powershell if anyone ever manages to get a nonstandard application installed.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

How fast was he fired after this was discovered?

Very (2 days). I felt kinda bad about it, too, because he'd shown more initiative and forward thinking than practically any other manager there ever had. He just didn't bother to sanity check his plan before rolling it out.

About a week after that, the RM, one level above him, brought up the idea of creating a Sharepoint portal for all that information, which turned into an entire CF of its own. Guess who got a big old bonus for his "great idea" after pitching it?

Ah, corporate America.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
April Fools came a little late this year: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6zYkGxOB73STjAtOU9TRUliWnM/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't think I'd see WebEx mentioned in the same sentence as adding machines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

KweezNArt posted:

About a week after that, the RM, one level above him, brought up the idea of creating a Sharepoint portal for all that information, which turned into an entire CF of its own.

Is it bad that I read 'CF' as 'CorvetteFisher'?

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
Just before iOS 7 was released we tested our mobile application with it to see if it worked. It didn't, in fact it had a a show stopper bug amongst other minors ones.

Our bad for not testing it earlier but it was still 3 days till iOS 7 released, so we sent out an email to our clients explaining the issue, and telling them explicitly not to upgrade to iOS 7, and started working on getting it fixed as soon as possible.

On iOS 7 release day we had no calls, we were happy and thought everyone had seen our email and had not upgraded. Nope.

The next week we kept getting calls from people who had upgraded, most of them had missed our email, or their boss had not forwarded it on to them. However the best one was this phone call.

User: Hi there *explains exact issue caused by upgrading*

Us: Did you happen to upgrade to iOS 7 recently?

User: Yes

Us: Did you get our email telling you not to upgrade?

User: Yes, but I upgraded anyways. Why is this not working? I need you to fix it right now, it's stopping me do my work.

:facepalm:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gavinvin posted:

Just before iOS 7 was released we tested our mobile application with it to see if it worked. It didn't, in fact it had a a show stopper bug amongst other minors ones.

Our bad for not testing it earlier but it was still 3 days till iOS 7 released, so we sent out an email to our clients explaining the issue, and telling them explicitly not to upgrade to iOS 7, and started working on getting it fixed as soon as possible.

On iOS 7 release day we had no calls, we were happy and thought everyone had seen our email and had not upgraded. Nope.

The next week we kept getting calls from people who had upgraded, most of them had missed our email, or their boss had not forwarded it on to them. However the best one was this phone call.

User: Yes, but I upgraded anyways. Why is this not working? I need you to fix it right now, it's stopping me do my work.

We sent 4 emails about not upgrading to iOS7. People still did not listen.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

jim truds posted:

We sent 4 emails about not upgrading to iOS7. People still did not listen.

MDM should be able to prevent people from upgrading to iOS7. However Apple in all their wisdom did not think that was important and users are free to upgrade as they please. The only block is IT going guys please don't upgrade.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it bad that I read 'CF' as 'CorvetteFisher'?

I read it as that too.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Gavinvin posted:

Yup happened to us too. I reported IOS7 breaking our app a month in advance but the developers for what ever reason wanted to herp and derp. IOS7 has been out for a couple of weeks and our poo poo is still broken.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

This happens every single time in every single situation. Nothing to be done about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Migishu posted:

This happens every single time in every single situation. Nothing to be done about it.

It's because Apple doesn't give a gently caress about you. They're not HP or Dell where they need to keep enterprise contracts. Your company doesn't want to buy these 500 iPhones? Ok, we'll sell them to these 500 people milling around the Apple Store right now.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

blackswordca posted:

they do? This is the first I've seen like this. All other laptops I have worked with in the past have ridged trays that screwed on or nothing at all.

Yep, those plastic sleevy things are pretty industry standard.

Had a lovely customer argue with me and try to refuse a HDD replacement because apparently rebuilding a mirror won't work unless the drives are exactly the same size. How do these people have jobs in IT again? :suicide:

skooky fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 12, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mysteryberto posted:

MDM should be able to prevent people from upgrading to iOS7. However Apple in all their wisdom did not think that was important and users are free to upgrade as they please. The only block is IT going guys please don't upgrade.
This is true of basically everything that Apple's MDM is supposed to do for enterprise. The fact that no matter how locked down the device, MDM can always be removed, shows - IMO - that Apple do not give a poo poo about Enterprise users (there are a couple of people who now have some special feature in beta, for normal iOS 7, that prevents MDM profiles from being removed, but AirWatch haven't made a peep about it (and it's an open secret that as Apple's preferred partner they have access to what's coming up in new versions of iOS well before any other vendor does) and there's nothing in the iOS 7 documentation about it, so I think they've been scamming naive non-technical types)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Entropic posted:

I was about to start banging a drive + sleeve combo on the desk to get it loose today. Then I remembered that the SSD was the new drive...

Remember when HP was an engineering company ?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Remember when HP was an engineering company ?

They still are, it's just that they're called "Agilent" now

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

They still are, it's just that they're called "Agilent" now

You take that back right loving now. Agilent is horrible

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Our crack IT dept here just fell for the "Microsoft failed update" phish.

All access to exchange and the domain has been locked while they work to "fix" whatever problems this caused.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Gavinvin posted:

It's alarming just how "easy" Apple makes the OS upgrade for users. My sister upgraded the first day, and I said, "What the hell? You don't even like your iPhone and you don't like iOS. I can't even get into the upgrade server to download the file." She said, "Welp, there was a popup message saying 'Your upgrade is ready' so I hit the button and let it upgrade. iOS 7 sucks btw."

Amazingly, our usually horrible enterprise mobile management system (MobileIron) was ready for iOS7 at launch. I was astounded.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
HP Data Protector: Making Backup Exec Look Easy and Reliable Since 2012

I'm only going by my exposure to DP starting last year, I'm sure it's sucked hard since long before then

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

It's alarming just how "easy" Apple makes the OS upgrade for users. My sister upgraded the first day, and I said, "What the hell? You don't even like your iPhone and you don't like iOS. I can't even get into the upgrade server to download the file." She said, "Welp, there was a popup message saying 'Your upgrade is ready' so I hit the button and let it upgrade. iOS 7 sucks btw."

Amazingly, our usually horrible enterprise mobile management system (MobileIron) was ready for iOS7 at launch. I was astounded.

I support MobileIron and Airwatch. I prefer MobileIron over Airwatch, but Airwatch does have some added things to their set up that are nice. Mostly for updating the MDM cert since my customers have hosed it up so many times with MI. They always forget the email address they signed in with to renew the cert, so they create a new one and then wonder why they cannot upload it (MI wont let you overwrite the MDM cert without their intervention). With AW, you have to have the email address listed in their console to upload the cert when doing the initial set up.

There is the passcode is not compliant issue, but that is on Apple's side.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I Swear to god, the things that need to be documented that shouldn't need to be documented...

[background: There are two ways to handle device permissions for Oracle. Since Oracle directly attaches to disk devices if you're using ASM, you either use some software called ASMlib, or you use udev to set the device properties. One or the other, not both.]

So the company that borged us is handling some overflow work. They took one of my SOP's and ignored half of it. They installed ASMlib (even though the existing server didnt use it, it used udev rules) which caused a problem.

They then took the disk devices presented, after ASM had started using them, and THEN remembered, "HEY! These devices need to be partitioned and sector aligned!" so they destroyed data a second time, by doing that.

And they tried to blame me, because my SOP never said not to do that. Does Toyota really have to tell drivers not to back into poles? For crying out loud.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
MobileIron was only ready if you have the right version on the server, we had to rush to upgrade it a version.
But yes, users can uninstall it off their phones themselves, good thing we dont use it for app blocking like our sister company. I just tell the users "dont delete this or your email will break." No one has done it yet that i can see. If they were savvy they would just create their own exchange profile though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've not really had many issues caused by being able to remove MDM profiles from devices since it's pretty obvious when it's been done, at which point the non-IT policies for dealing with it take over.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
An email came in:

It was my birthday last Thursday and I was out for a few days celebrating. I check my email and I get this from some executive I've never heard of:

quote:

I may or may not know you, but Your Birthday is the day when you feel really very special, and you deserve to be treated as one.

I... I don't... I feel so... special... now.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

An email came in:

It was my birthday last Thursday and I was out for a few days celebrating. I check my email and I get this from some executive I've never heard of:

It would have been even better if Your Birthday was enclosed in brackets and was in fact a merge field.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

An email came in:

Dear ${EMPLOYEE_NAME},

I, a Very Important Person, want to thank you for your hard work for us at substandard pay for ${LENGTH_OF_EMPLOYMENT} here at Foobar, Inc. The entire senior management team thinks it is very important to work in a synergistic relationship with our subordinates, even though you are not as smart, handsome, or well-off as us.

Congratulations on your ${EVENT_NAME}. We are happy you have reached this milestone.

Dictated but not read,

Bossman

BS/jla

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Agrikk posted:

An email came in:

I think he/she just said you deserve to be treated as a special.

What is a special?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

hihifellow posted:

I think he/she just said you deserve to be treated as a special.

What is a special?

Anyone whose stock portfolio makes up less than 96% of their net worth.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The MSP I work for calls maintenance visits to clients "Housekeeping". So naturally our newest field engineer turns up at a hotel, says he's there for housekeeping, gets taken downstairs into the basement straight into a roomful of linens. Gets lost for an hour :v:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A payment came in ... sort of.

I run an IT consultancy shop in the SF Bay Area. After a recent week-long project I send out the invoice and was pleasantly surprised to receive a check back three days later. Unfortunately it seems that the client, who read the invoice well enough to know where to send the payment, decided she only needed to get one of the letters of my company's four-letter name right.

I'm just hoping the bank doesn't complain too much tomorrow when I try to deposit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
An interview came in...

... without having to do a phone screen or technical interview, straight to the CEO of an MSP for a senior field engineer. Project work, supervising two PFYs or desktop equivalents. No troubleshooting, one client a day.

I'm waiting for the catch.

• Locked thread