Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
They really need a notice somewhere if the game is offline or online, I still can't get into the game. I uninstalled and redownloaded everything and now the spinning planet issue is gone, but i've tried logging in several times a few hours apart and keep getting "game login failed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

They really need a notice somewhere if the game is offline or online, I still can't get into the game. I uninstalled and redownloaded everything and now the spinning planet issue is gone, but i've tried logging in several times a few hours apart and keep getting "game login failed".

Have you attempted a repair? I can log in right now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Have you attempted a repair? I can log in right now.

Thanks for the confirmation that it is indeed up, I repaired and it looked like it was working as it said it was loading files and then it went back to game login unavailable and my login attempts afterward said the same :negative:.

Maybe i'll try to reinstall it again using that link to the offsite download a few pages back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you have a login screen it might just be that you're entering your login info incorrectly.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Speaking of logging in, I'd kill for the ability to change my password or at least copy and paste it in.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Speaking of logging in, I'd kill for the ability to change my password or at least copy and paste it in.

Seriously, my password has a lowercase l and capital I, in gmail they look near identical... Took me a bit to realize that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Cinara posted:

Seriously, my password has a lowercase l and capital I, in gmail they look near identical... Took me a bit to realize that.

God damnit, this was exactly my problem. I thought the capital I was a lower case L. Oh well, thanks for complaining about this!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
l think that is a compIaint that could be filed with the alphabet in general.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I almost fired off the Immortal Spear combo. I had a big board (most of it stayed tapped down due to the stupid Gralk bug), 4 spears and I had one in hand...then the bug. Still, this has been really fun!

edit: Are the servers down now? I can't log in so I guess so.

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 11, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, they gave a KS update. No date on Wave 2 so far, but Wave 1's liking it alot. Lucky Wave 1. :arghfist::smith:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mikujin posted:

Dwarven Affinity v1.0

This is a pretty fun deck concept to play around with so far. Thanks for posting it. :) I don't like the deck building interface very much, so it was nice to have something to run with, with minor tweaks.

Also, my games today so far have gone without a hitch, which is way better than yesterday. It's definitely a very fun game, even in this very alpha state.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

My SB "wacky wincons" deck is a blast to play, I wish that the counterspell and buccaneer was in the set since they'd help a lot. I've drained life for 11-13, dropped Argus on turn 6 and filled my deck with spears and 2/2 cantripping fliers so I could blast a guy for 5000 damage.

I'm thinking of building a Ruby/Wild deck next.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I have working internet finally and now I can start downloading! :woop:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BenRGamer posted:

So, they gave a KS update. No date on Wave 2 so far, but Wave 1's liking it alot. Lucky Wave 1. :arghfist::smith:

That's OK, the random freezes are still running rampant so it's not really very playable. My last two games froze before the first turn was over. I had a fun game against the AI yesterday, but there needs to be some more stability before they add more people.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, client bugs aside, the game plays extremely well. I play a lot of MTG and it feels like a very similar game in so many ways with just enough differences to be unique.

Played a bit of a Blood/Ruby Orc deck that was kinda cool, really strong interaction between the orcs that damage you on your upkeep and the legendary orc that creates a 2/1 orc token every time an orc deals damage to a champion.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

King Burgundy posted:

This is a pretty fun deck concept to play around with so far. Thanks for posting it. :) I don't like the deck building interface very much, so it was nice to have something to run with, with minor tweaks.

Also, my games today so far have gone without a hitch, which is way better than yesterday. It's definitely a very fun game, even in this very alpha state.

Gearsmith release down the road will help this deck out loads, too.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

One question I have been meaning to ask is how their stack works. I did notice in one case where a Ruby Aura was cast on a creature, I bounced it and it returned to hand, but the opponent was actually able to play it right away, before the aura had resolved. Even funnier, the aura still resolved on the creature, giving it +1/+0. I guess in this game memory issues aren't really a thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug that he was able to cast the creature with things on the stack or that's intended play.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Captain Capitalism posted:

One question I have been meaning to ask is how their stack works. I did notice in one case where a Ruby Aura was cast on a creature, I bounced it and it returned to hand, but the opponent was actually able to play it right away, before the aura had resolved. Even funnier, the aura still resolved on the creature, giving it +1/+0. I guess in this game memory issues aren't really a thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug that he was able to cast the creature with things on the stack or that's intended play.
I know, specifically, artifact troops can be played as long as ~something~ is on the stack.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Somewhat hilarious new deck that has me 3-0 so far:

4x Demented Demolisher
4x Extinction
4x Cerebral Fulmination
4x Ragefire
22x Ruby Shard
22x Blood Shard

Mulligan until you get resources + Demented Demolisher, hopefully having an Extinction or a couple Ragefires to help you survive. Exile all your resources and chain Ragefires to victory. With 1 or 2 Cerebral Fulmination out you very quickly draw into a 16 damage Ragefire.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 12, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Cinara posted:

Somewhat hilarious new deck that has me 3-0 so far:

4x Demented Demolisher
4x Extinction
4x Cerebral Fulmination
4x Ragefire
22x Ruby Shard
22x Blood Shard

Mulligan until you get resources + Demented Demolisher, hopefully having an Extinction or a couple Ragefires to help you survive. Exile all your resources and chain Ragefires to victory. With 1 or 2 Cerebral Fulmination out you very quickly draw into a 16 damage Ragefire.

I really like Demolisher, it's such a powerful effect and there's like what, 1 card that punishes it?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

How do enters play effects work with removal and the stack? If you play demolisher, can I play murder to kill it before the effect triggers?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

How do enters play effects work with removal and the stack? If you play demolisher, can I play murder to kill it before the effect triggers?

I don't think so. You won''t have priority until the ability goes up.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Karnegal posted:

I don't think so. You won''t have priority until the ability goes up.

That's weird - I know it's not implemented yet, but I'd have thought you'd need priority at some point before the ability trigger for Countermagic.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

That's weird - I know it's not implemented yet, but I'd have thought you'd need priority at some point before the ability trigger for Countermagic.

You can respond to the spell, but Murder can't kill a creature not in play yet. Once it's on the battlefield you can Murder it but the trigger is going to happen no matter what.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

I really like Demolisher, it's such a powerful effect and there's like what, 1 card that punishes it?

It's definitely strong, but I see Mill being a huge problem for the deck.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Go RV! posted:

It's definitely strong, but I see Mill being a huge problem for the deck.

Until I see stronger evidence to the contrary, I'm going to continue to assume that mill is not a competitive plan and that it'll be limited to casual games.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So even worse, there is no minimum deck size right now. 4 Ragefire 6 Ruby Shard is hard to beat!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Someone's posted a legit-looking full datamined card spoiler over on the official forums - here's a link. Obviously some of these cards are going to be changed, but there are some previously unrevealed power cards in there. For example, disruptive silence is a 1 cost sapphire constant that stops opponents from playing actions until they pump 5 resources into it (not necessarily all at once).

e: Ooh, Meditate is a sapphire quick action for 2 that lets you look at the top four cards of your deck, draw one, then put the rest on the bottom. It's like Peek's playable big brother.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cinara posted:

So even worse, there is no minimum deck size right now. 4 Ragefire 6 Ruby Shard is hard to beat!

Okay that's a little bit silly.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Until I see stronger evidence to the contrary, I'm going to continue to assume that mill is not a competitive plan and that it'll be limited to casual games.

Actually there's already an infinite mill combo available in diamond/sapphire based on spoiled cards! :ssh:

E: And since it's in two strong control colors you should be able to put your board pieces together.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

pumpinglemma posted:

e: Ooh, Meditate is a sapphire quick action for 2 that lets you look at the top four cards of your deck, draw one, then put the rest on the bottom. It's like Peek's playable big brother.

That's actually a parallel to another Magic card which was heavily played back in its day, Impulse :eng101:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mikujin posted:

Actually there's already an infinite mill combo available in diamond/sapphire based on spoiled cards! :ssh:

E: And since it's in two strong control colors you should be able to put your board pieces together.

It still matters a lot how easy the combo is to assemble and how good the rest of the strategies are. In Magic (Legacy specifically), painted stone is an incredibly powerful 2 card mill combo, but it still very rarely get's played - Legacy is my primary format and I've never personally paired someone playing it in a tournament, just in casual play/practice. Maybe it will be good, but I want to see the deck in action before I really consider it a concern. Meanwhile, I have a very good idea of how good it is to draw live for the rest of the game and you're doing it while putting in a body that isn't that far below the curve to boot.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

It still matters a lot how easy the combo is to assemble and how good the rest of the strategies are. In Magic (Legacy specifically), painted stone is an incredibly powerful 2 card mill combo, but it still very rarely get's played - Legacy is my primary format and I've never personally paired someone playing it in a tournament, just in casual play/practice. Maybe it will be good, but I want to see the deck in action before I really consider it a concern. Meanwhile, I have a very good idea of how good it is to draw live for the rest of the game and you're doing it while putting in a body that isn't that far below the curve to boot.
I'm all too familiar with MtG Legacy shenanigans, but the thing you're forgetting in your comparison, which is easy to overlook since we see Hex as an MtG clone, is that all the cards we've seen from Hex set 1 ARE our legacy equivalent.

For what's it's worth, the combo does lean on transforming Ascetic Initiate twice into The Transcended. Alongside Archmage Wrenlock and Dream Dance, you get to cast Chronic Madness as many times as you want. It should also be noted that Archmage Wrenlocke does have the upside of making all your spells cycle which is super handy for keeping a grip close to 7 in order to get quick transformations done.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mikujin posted:

I'm all too familiar with MtG Legacy shenanigans, but the thing you're forgetting in your comparison, which is easy to overlook since we see Hex as an MtG clone, is that all the cards we've seen from Hex set 1 ARE our legacy equivalent.

For what's it's worth, the combo does lean on transforming Ascetic Initiate twice into The Transcended. Alongside Archmage Wrenlock and Dream Dance, you get to cast Chronic Madness as many times as you want. It should also be noted that Archmage Wrenlocke does have the upside of making all your spells cycle which is super handy for keeping a grip close to 7 in order to get quick transformations done.

Oh, I get that the card pool certainly isn't as deep, but I'm very dubious of mill as a strategy until I see hard evidence otherwise. Like in Magic, it has the same problem of not effecting the gamestate, so everything you do up to your kill has no real impact on your opponent. The Legacy deck that I'm talking about (Painted Stone), works because it is a 2 card combo that eats your opponent's entire deck. Similarly Rest in peace and Helm of Obedience gets shoehorned into the Miracles deck because it is also a 2 card kill that you can tutor either half up with a 1 mana instant. In the case of Hex, it strikes me that mill is not this straightforward, but rather a bit durdly.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It gets even more complicated when there are things like Pack Raptor and Ancestor's Chosen where you can add cards into your deck as the game moves along

Anyway even though that priority bug is bastard I'm really enjoying the alpha! I set myself a challenge to just come up with deck after deck, so far my favorite has been all Dinosaurs :yoshi:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Oh, I get that the card pool certainly isn't as deep, but I'm very dubious of mill as a strategy until I see hard evidence otherwise. Like in Magic, it has the same problem of not effecting the gamestate, so everything you do up to your kill has no real impact on your opponent. The Legacy deck that I'm talking about (Painted Stone), works because it is a 2 card combo that eats your opponent's entire deck. Similarly Rest in peace and Helm of Obedience gets shoehorned into the Miracles deck because it is also a 2 card kill that you can tutor either half up with a 1 mana instant. In the case of Hex, it strikes me that mill is not this straightforward, but rather a bit durdly.

I'm familiar with painted stone (having built it once to annoy my friends :ssh:). But I think in a game whose PvP format is going to be a bit slower/durdlier simply due to the limited pool, using a strong control shell to prepare for an infinite combo isn't that farfetched. Don't get me wrong, though, while I think infinite mill via combo might be playable, plain old "cast spells, mill dudes" is no more viable here than it's been in magic.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

When mill can mix 4 5-damage bombs and instant kills into the deck, and 2-drop guys that get big based on graveyard state, I start valuing it a little higher. It's a little RNG, but still potentially viable.

That said, I'm not in alpha, and can't really test it. I definitely understand Mill's inherent gamestate issues, though. It looks like they're pushing it fairly hard as a deck type, so we might actually have the tools.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Go RV! posted:

When mill can mix 4 5-damage bombs and instant kills into the deck, and 2-drop guys that get big based on graveyard state, I start valuing it a little higher. It's a little RNG, but still potentially viable.

That said, I'm not in alpha, and can't really test it. I definitely understand Mill's inherent gamestate issues, though. It looks like they're pushing it fairly hard as a deck type, so we might actually have the tools.

The thing with the bombs is that now you're mixing in a separate win con (damage) as opposed to just mill. You're also adding cards to a deck that you want to eliminate.

That said, the nice thing about Hex is that eventually we'll have PvE and that will be a great place to play Competent but not tier 1 decks.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Just got on and did a quick test match. The client seemed more responsive (Deck editor still pretty laggy) and I never got the hanging priority bug through a whole AI match. Just a lucky game, or is it getting better already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It seems more stable when there are less people on. During the day it still freezes up pretty often on priority triggers.

• Locked thread