Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Whats the rule on flushing brake fluid for hpde's. I completely flushed my brake fluid in my sti on sept 29th and did an HPDE the following day. After that ive put maybe 200 miles on my car and went to 1 autoX.

I have another hpde this Saturday, is it good practice to completely flush the brakes again or is that overkill and should i just bleed each caliper a bit?

-Jacob

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd say overkill, but in a good way. I do at minimum one flush a year, but it's always good to be vigilant about brakes.

If this is going to be your last HPDE of the year, I wouldn't bother to flush again until before your first DE next year.

-Jacob

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you don't have a soft pedal I wouldn't worry about it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

the spyder posted:

Where do you normally run? It's been ages since I went drag racing at PIR.

I've been autocrossing it in Bremerton and Shelton this season. I'll be getting my SCCA competition license at the start of next season. Then I'll be road racing at PIR, The Ridge, and possibly Pacific Raceways.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That autocross "track" in shelton at the airport is pure garbage.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BraveUlysses posted:

That autocross "track" in shelton at the airport is pure garbage.

Yeah, the surface is falling apart. I like running with WWSCC though. I don't make it out the the BSCC events much anymore.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
After the boeing club lost the everett site we were forced to use the track in shelton and it's just too far for such a bad location that I gave up and switched to track days only.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

BraveUlysses posted:

After the boeing club lost the everett site we were forced to use the track in shelton and it's just too far for such a bad location that I gave up and switched to track days only.

Pretty much this. Not worth a ferry ride and a couple hours each way for the amount of seat time on such an awful surface. Now I do solely track days with NASA. Looks like they got the environmental permit approved to build the track over there though. Would be nice to have 5 available tracks in the northwest (6 if you count Mission in BC). I just wish the SCCA would do TT or hpde at actual tracks in the northwest. God forbid you want to drive anything but Pro3 or spec miata.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I was at an event at Thunderhill on monday. I ran 7 20min sessions. My arms and neck hurt all week. Ran mid-low 2:20's though, not bad for my first dry track day though.

This may have been stated already but... Thunderhill is in the process of expanding and they had all kinds of earth-moving going on. It's already a fairly long track so it'll be cool to watch the 25hrs of Thunderhill or something on a 4.5 mile course. And they'll have the ability to have 2 separate events east/west too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Joe Mama posted:

I was at an event at Thunderhill on monday. I ran 7 20min sessions. My arms and neck hurt all week. Ran mid-low 2:20's though, not bad for my first dry track day though.

This may have been stated already but... Thunderhill is in the process of expanding and they had all kinds of earth-moving going on. It's already a fairly long track so it'll be cool to watch the 25hrs of Thunderhill or something on a 4.5 mile course. And they'll have the ability to have 2 separate events east/west too.

What were you driving? I think the LeMons Charade made a 2:19.x with the full 15 turn course.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
My first HPDE in this car (03 z06).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izuhMuH97vc

This is at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. It's the 3.1 CCW config. I'd done this track before in the 1.7 CCW config, but never in this car. I was in the green group since it's been a while. I definitely still have a lot more to learn. I had a lot of issues with brake fade. I had flushed with Motul RBF600 the week before the event, but I made the mistake of going out on street pads. I had a lot of brake fade which made me not have a lot of confidence in my brakes and keep braking very early. On top of that, the seats did a terrible job of holding me in place.

My instructor gave me 4/4 for most of the ratings. For the notes, he put "Great start, good pace and good line. Work on shorting brake zones and building entry speed. Consistent and mostly smooth (work on downshifting rev matching)." That's pretty consistent with what I thought I kept messing up. They decided to keep me in the green group for the next run.

I'm hoping to do another event in the Spring. At that point I'll have new seats, a set of track brake pads + stainless lines + slotted rotors and possibly an oil cooler. I watched my oil temps go up to 285 this weekend. I'm hoping those minor upgrades will give me the confidence I need to brake at the right time and not 20 feet ahead of where I should be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good stuff!

I would skip the slotted rotors and just upgrade the pads to something with a real heat range like the Hawk DTC-60s. As for oil, a cooler is definitely a good idea for the LS motors on track, and I would look into an Accusump due to oiling issues as well.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Phone posted:

Good stuff!

I would skip the slotted rotors and just upgrade the pads to something with a real heat range like the Hawk DTC-60s. As for oil, a cooler is definitely a good idea for the LS motors on track, and I would look into an Accusump due to oiling issues as well.
Well I was thinking of the Carbotech XP12 for the front and XP10 for the rear. A friend has a set that's been pre-bedded but never used. He told me to make him an offer but I'm not sure what to offer, so I have to research. I have to research oil coolers as well. I'm not planning on doing another event until early spring, so I have some time.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
285F (or around 140 C for us people who work in metric) oil temps are waaaayyy too high! Definitely get some oil cooling. There should be ample options for Corvettes out there that should be cheap. Earls or Setrab cores work great.

To put it in perspective, my turbo Eclipse in 94 degree weather didn't even hit 115C (around 240 F) after repeated sessions.

Water temps were a different story though. :(

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2013

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
on the subject of turbo dsm's, did yours make nhms's com event? i managed to get in for saterday and never came across your car

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

rotard posted:

on the subject of turbo dsm's, did yours make nhms's com event? i managed to get in for saterday and never came across your car

Nope, had clutch issues on thursday that put me out (very upsetting). Going to try for next year, hopefully the car will be more sorted then. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dangerz posted:

On top of that, the seats did a terrible job of holding me in place.

What seats do you think you'll go to?

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What seats do you think you'll go to?
Corbeau A4. I'm not serious enough to step up to a fixed seat and the A4 seem to be a good mix of street and track. I've sat in a set and they hold me really well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
On the topic of seats, does anyone have any experience with recaro speeds (formerly srds)? I'm looking to replace my drivers seat in my e36 m3 because the stock vader just doesn't cut it for autoX, but I don't want to go fixed back/rollbar. I'm looking at them mainly for the high leg bolstering, and I have a pretty small frame (5'6 150lbs).

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

dangerz posted:

This is at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX.

I was out there for a bit on Saturday. I was supposed to be driving (would have been in the green group with you) but my alternator died Saturday morning as I was leaving to head out there. I'm already signed up for the class in December though, so hopefully that goes better.

Went for a ride with one of the instructors in his Miata. Pretty fun for my first time on a track.

SpaceRangerJoe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2013

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

dangerz posted:

This is at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. It's the 3.1 CCW config.

I too was there this weekend. I was hoping for rain, but no dice :(.

My last run was some of the most fun I've ever had. I spent the entire session chasing a C5 and managed to record a new personal best lap time (still not quick enough to pass him, though). It's amazing how much harder I push myself with a good rabbit to chase.

I really enjoy the split personality of the 3.1 layout. Fast and sweeping 1.7, then it changes into a precise and technical 1.3.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

dangerz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izuhMuH97vc

This is at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. It's the 3.1 CCW config. I'd done this track before in the 1.7 CCW config, but never in this car. I was in the green group since it's been a while. I definitely still have a lot more to learn. I had a lot of issues with brake fade. I had flushed with Motul RBF600 the week before the event, but I made the mistake of going out on street pads. I had a lot of brake fade which made me not have a lot of confidence in my brakes and keep braking very early. On top of that, the seats did a terrible job of holding me in place.

My instructor gave me 4/4 for most of the ratings. For the notes, he put "Great start, good pace and good line. Work on shorting brake zones and building entry speed. Consistent and mostly smooth (work on downshifting rev matching)." That's pretty consistent with what I thought I kept messing up. They decided to keep me in the green group for the next run.

I'm hoping to do another event in the Spring. At that point I'll have new seats, a set of track brake pads + stainless lines + slotted rotors and possibly an oil cooler. I watched my oil temps go up to 285 this weekend. I'm hoping those minor upgrades will give me the confidence I need to brake at the right time and not 20 feet ahead of where I should be.

Hey I was there too, I was in your run group. I had the grey BRZ, I even have footage of me chasing you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-FIlLH5xc

(unfortunately no video of me passing you, that would be gold :haw:)

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

kuffs posted:

I really enjoy the split personality of the 3.1 layout. Fast and sweeping 1.7, then it changes into a precise and technical 1.3.
I was honestly nervous about the 1.3 part of the 3.1 mainly because of the elevation change. That ended up being my favorite part of the course. What group/car were you in?

emoltra posted:

Hey I was there too, I was in your run group. I had the grey BRZ, I even have footage of me chasing you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-FIlLH5xc

(unfortunately no video of me passing you, that would be gold :haw:)
Hey that's pretty awesome! I remember your BRZ. I think I might have footage of you as well. I'll check when I get home. I know I definitely have footage of that white BRZ.. that girl was fast!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

dangerz posted:

I was honestly nervous about the 1.3 part of the 3.1 mainly because of the elevation change. That ended up being my favorite part of the course. What group/car were you in?

Roller Coaster and Toilet Bowl are some of the best parts of the track. They take a lot of confidence to pull off correctly but they feel so good when you get them right.

I'm in Yellow group right now. Driving the black Audi TTS.

I don't think I have any footage worth posting, but I have yet to look through my gopro.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Track pictures have been posted -- I give you subaru.jpg :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
RALLY HERITAGE

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Some bad news. A friend of mine went to get a day at Laguna Seca and they informed him that all "club rental" days next year are now 90 db.

All I can says is, gently caress.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Won't somebody think of the people who bought real estate next to an established track with worldwide accolades?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Aurune posted:

Some bad news. A friend of mine went to get a day at Laguna Seca and they informed him that all "club rental" days next year are now 90 db.

All I can says is, gently caress.

Not even all stock cars will meet that. Ouch.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Unless they changed this too, they only record sound after turn 5. Turn your exhaust tip to the drivers side and lift there. It sucks but its not impossible to work with.

parid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 20, 2013

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Here's my brother crashing into the one thing you could crash into as far as the eye can see, as filmed by me chasing him. Only broke a bone in his hand and burst a blood vessel in his eye! He bounced across the track--if you look closely, you can see him bouncing back behind my car as I'm passing the incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9QtmFdhTo

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

the poi posted:

Here's my brother crashing into the one thing you could crash into as far as the eye can see

Why would they put a station there :psyduck:

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

emoltra posted:

Why would they put a station there :psyduck:

The track runs in both directions in a handful of configurations--that station makes much more sense going in the other direction, and isn't anywhere close to a problem in other configurations. Just bad luck really (it's insured through Lockton though so it could've been worse!)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

parid posted:

Unless they changed this too, they only record sound after turn 5. Turn your exhaust tip to the drivers side and lift there. It sucks but its not impossible to work with.

Mobile sound station now.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

the poi posted:

The track runs in both directions in a handful of configurations--that station makes much more sense going in the other direction, and isn't anywhere close to a problem in other configurations. Just bad luck really (it's insured through Lockton though so it could've been worse!)

drat, sucks. At least your brother is ok. I recently watched a friend roll his CRX onto its roof during a qualifying session. I was behind him and knew he had gone in way too fast. Whole thing happened in slow-mo as I watched the CRX catch the gravel and flip.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Mobile sound station now.

Ohh poo poo. When do these new rules go into effect? I have a race there in early december.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Lotsa toys on the track today. Good lord the Droid Ultra has a bad camera.

That's just a few. (Boss 302S hiding in the back)

Also knocked 3.8 seconds off my personal best. Also, god drat it, I forgot the skeleton case for my GoPro. Yet again I can't get good video of my runs.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 10, 2013

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

the poi posted:

Here's my brother crashing into the one thing you could crash into as far as the eye can see, as filmed by me chasing him. Only broke a bone in his hand and burst a blood vessel in his eye! He bounced across the track--if you look closely, you can see him bouncing back behind my car as I'm passing the incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9QtmFdhTo

drat was the course worker okay?

I actually enjoy that configuration and have always been super fast through those sweepers (in both directions), but my cars always have little enough power where I just keep the throttle pinned all the way through them and the rear stays planted.

Did your brother lift?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

drat was the course worker okay?

I actually enjoy that configuration and have always been super fast through those sweepers (in both directions), but my cars always have little enough power where I just keep the throttle pinned all the way through them and the rear stays planted.

Did your brother lift?

Ya, corner worker was fine--sturdy wall behind the crush panels. In the high-res vid you can see him calmly wandering away from the wall as the car is coming towards him. It was weird.

But yes--according to his Solo, he totally lifted. It looks like he lifted right before starting to brake, but wasn't straight enough, and/or got a tire onto or off the curbing at just the right time to get it loose. He was just along for the ride after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I took my Datsun to Thunderhill this past weekend to run it around with some friends at a Hooked on Driving Day. We ran the bypass which was new to me and I have decided I prefer to the Cyclone, it makes things faster and fast blind crests are great fun. My friend Steve shot some onboard of him chasing/following me in his Elise where I got the car loose a couple of times through over driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1IOBY0RW_Y

The real action of the day was missed on camera, but the aftermath can be seen. Second lap of the first session in the D group a E92 M3 rolls after exiting turn 9 (skip to 4:00). Das Volk, that wasn't you I hope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Qh9Xz8W04

The day ended on down note as my car picked up a horrendous rear end banging noise somewhere along the 505 that three stops with wheels off/car up on jack stands could not diagnose so I had my car towed the last 75 miles -- thanks AAA Gold!