Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

donut posted:

I don't know about beds, but there is this stupid crap.

So do you have to keep the tires inflated correctly to keep the table level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

GramCracker posted:

I am not a particular fan of Jalopnik, but apparently there is an F40 out there that has the original window sticker (still on the window) and 172 original miles. :psyboom:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-an-f40-would-look-like-if-youd-bought-one-1442831212

Please let me stretch it's legs...I can hear it calling to me to be driven.

The problem is once they get to that level of garage queendom their main value (to people who think such things are important) becomes the fact that they've never been driven and they remain pieces of sculpture. Not to mention you'd probably have to replace a poo poo ton of stuff if you wanted to actually use it as Maranello intended.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

The problem is once they get to that level of garage queendom their main value (to people who think such things are important) becomes the fact that they've never been driven and they remain pieces of sculpture. Not to mention you'd probably have to replace a poo poo ton of stuff if you wanted to actually use it as Maranello Lord Enzo intended.

Sorry, needed to fix that for you. I generally agree though. That oil has to be basically useless and all of the seals have probably dried out and cracked. Big repair bill right there to get it to operating capability.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

drgitlin posted:

The problem is once they get to that level of garage queendom their main value (to people who think such things are important) becomes the fact that they've never been driven and they remain pieces of sculpture. Not to mention you'd probably have to replace a poo poo ton of stuff if you wanted to actually use it as Maranello intended.

This incidentally is why I like the people I meet at the Virginia City hillclimb. They're representative the few exotic car owners who really use their cars, even if some of them are still stereotypical Ferrari owners. One of the event coordinators puts it really well in this news piece: http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Ferrari--223865591.html

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Preoptopus posted:

So do you have to keep the tires inflated correctly to keep the table level?

"I'm tired of losing at this drat game!"

*lets some air out of front passenger tire*

Let's see them beat me now!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Didn't Enzo kind of not want random people to drive the F40? If so, that thing is being used as designed.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm pretty sure he wanted to get paid, so it was used as designed only when the initial transaction occurred.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the youtube thread or here, but figuring as I made it I thought it'd be more appropriate here. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BYUZxAFJ0

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

This incidentally is why I like the people I meet at the Virginia City hillclimb. They're representative the few exotic car owners who really use their cars, even if some of them are still stereotypical Ferrari owners. One of the event coordinators puts it really well in this news piece: http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Ferrari--223865591.html

Please excuse the picture quality on my 4 year old phone.

I've seen this Ferrari FF around town a bunch in the past couple of months. I finally got to take a look at it up close today, although sadly the owner was nowhere to be found. First off, it was out on a lovely day like today, which was a surprise. Second, this thing is clearly daily driven. It has dings and scratches. Fingerprints all over it. Leaves and dirt. The passenger seat was folded forward and there was crap in the back seats. It's exciting to see a 700 bhp supercar. I was loving giddy to see one that is obviously driven every day, rain or shine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AlmightyPants posted:

Please excuse the picture quality on my 4 year old phone.

I've seen this Ferrari FF around town a bunch in the past couple of months. I finally got to take a look at it up close today, although sadly the owner was nowhere to be found. First off, it was out on a lovely day like today, which was a surprise. Second, this thing is clearly daily driven. It has dings and scratches. Fingerprints all over it. Leaves and dirt. The passenger seat was folded forward and there was crap in the back seats. It's exciting to see a 700 bhp supercar. I was loving giddy to see one that is obviously driven every day, rain or shine.

That car is hilarious because everything aft of the firewall looks (to me) like some sort of midrange Toyota or some poo poo, but firewall forward is like I AM A MOTHERFUCKER.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yep, there's no more beautiful vehicle than a purpose built does-one-job vehicle.

What is this vehicle, and what job does it do?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

That car is hilarious because everything aft of the firewall looks (to me) like some sort of midrange Toyota or some poo poo, but firewall forward is like I AM A MOTHERFUCKER.

It is massive in person too. Not hilariously wide like some supercars, but quite long and an average sporty car height.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I did a thing today:

I drove some CTS-Vs (wagon and coupe) around Circuit of the Americas for free. Those cars are drat heavy, and the auto transmission sucks, but it was still a ton of fun. I hope CoTA gets cool and let's companies hold track days there for a reasonable price (See: motorcycle track days for $150, and not $2500) some day soon.

Edit: One of the CTS-Vs from the SCCA World Challenge was on display, along with cutaways of various parts from the V.

Click to embiggen

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 12, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

MetaJew posted:

I did a thing today:

I drove some CTS-Vs (wagon and coupe) around Circuit of the Americas for free. Those cars are drat heavy, and the auto transmission sucks, but it was still a ton of fun. I hope CoTA gets cool and let's companies hold track days there for a reasonable price (See: motorcycle track days for $150, and not $2500) some day soon.

I was there Thursday. Had a blast. My instructor in the coupe was a female GT3 series driver. I was babying it a bit getting used to the car's feel on the first lap. Her words: "You don't have to pay for brakes or tires. Go harder!" So I did. I was hitting rumble strips and having the time of my life. Best I could get was about 140MPH on the back straight. She let me stay on power past the 'power off' cones. I've been to the track several times but this was my first driving it. Barreling down the front straight at triple digit speeds it's intimidating how that turn one hill just towers over you.
My sister had a blast in the ATS doing their little 'drag race'. She didn't notice me reach over and turn off the traction control for the launch. We killed the other 'competitor'. :)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cormorant posted:

What is this vehicle, and what job does it do?

Federal F-55 aircraft tug. It towed B-36s around.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kill-9 posted:

I was there Thursday. Had a blast. My instructor in the coupe was a female GT3 series driver. I was babying it a bit getting used to the car's feel on the first lap. Her words: "You don't have to pay for brakes or tires. Go harder!" So I did. I was hitting rumble strips and having the time of my life. Best I could get was about 140MPH on the back straight. She let me stay on power past the 'power off' cones. I've been to the track several times but this was my first driving it. Barreling down the front straight at triple digit speeds it's intimidating how that turn one hill just towers over you.
My sister had a blast in the ATS doing their little 'drag race'. She didn't notice me reach over and turn off the traction control for the launch. We killed the other 'competitor'. :)

Man. Neither of my instructors let me stay on the power past those cones, but both complemented me while I was driving... I think I hit about 120. My instructor in the coupe races in Pro Mazda, and knew the track well. So all in all, it was a great time.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Man. Neither of my instructors let me stay on the power past those cones, but both complemented me while I was driving... I think I hit about 120. My instructor in the coupe races in Pro Mazda, and knew the track well. So all in all, it was a great time.

I really blew turn 11 on one run after getting a wave-by around a slow car. That poo poo sneaks up quick on you when you're blasting down that hill into it. I really think I'd have done a bit better on some corners if the cones weren't there to distract me.

Also, you can really carry a scary amount of speed through the S'es(turns 3-9). I think that was the most fun part of the track. That and nailing the triple apex 16-18 really put a smile on my face. The instructor complimented me on that one. That's the only place where I felt playing the track in a video game really helped. I knew exactly where to turn in and where to hold the line for maximum speed through there. Set the wheel on entry and never waver all the way through.

If they ever pull their heads out and lower track day costs into the sub-stratosphere I'll have a blast throwing our Golf R around it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

That's the only place where I felt playing the track in a video game really helped.

What game has CoTA? I was looking for one on Wednesday to practice. :3:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I have found the coolest thing ever. Gentleman, I present to you the VW Bus record player. Literally a miniature VW with a needle that drives around and plays your records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDyMe-KtDbE

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

joat mon posted:

Federal F-55 aircraft tug. It towed B-36s around.

Fitting that The Best Vehicle Thingy was used to tow around The Best Airplane.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

The F1 2012 demo has it. Hooked up my force feedback wheel and went to town to practice. :)

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

My wife and I followed two Porsche 918s down from Breckenridge, CO. This is the sixth we've seen. Three going up to a photoshoot near our house in Golden, one on Colfax, and these two. One was black, the other with this Martini livery.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

MetaJew posted:

https://www.simraceway.com/tracks/27?locale=en

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MetaJew posted:

I did a thing today:

Edit: One of the CTS-Vs from the SCCA World Challenge was on display, along with cutaways of various parts from the V.

Click to embiggen

Of course this happened after I leave Austin. :doom:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I also saw a porche with racing stripes today. It was a Porche with Martini racing stripes. I was driving so I want able to get my iphone out.

I also saw a few classic cars on the road. Maybe they were all at the same event?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Spotted this in Townsville, QLD, Australia. I've been in North Queensland for 8 years and this is the second proper sports car I've seen, the other being an Audi R8 that a rich rear end in a top hat near me owns and drives like it's a mobility scooter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

diarmuidqq posted:

Spotted this in Townsville, QLD, Australia. I've been in North Queensland for 8 years and this is the second proper sports car I've seen, the other being an Audi R8 that a rich rear end in a top hat near me owns and drives like it's a mobility scooter.

Through Wal-Mart? :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While I was on the train today, I noticed something going on nearby, so I got off at the next stop to investigate.

It turned out to be this:

The rally side of things was well represented.

My Japanese is terrible, so I couldn't follow exactly what she was saying, but based on the odd word and her hand motions, she was explaining either left-foot braking or some kind of full-throttle shift setup.

:siren: AI CAGE CRITIQUE TEAM ASSEMBLE.

There were a number of classics on display as well.

The stuffed toy is the horse mascot for the Gunma area.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:australia:

I had a fair old chat with the guy who owned this. Apparently they were shipped out from the UK in kit form and assembled by Nissan.

Another car whose owner I had a chinwag with. He imported it himself from the UK after working here for a few years, and had it repainted in the replica colours (He had one of Sainz's old race suits in the boot too). Mechanically it's pretty much standard large-turbo Cossie, all he's done is a remap/chip. He knows someone with a 4x4 Sapphire as well, apparently.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

They had a small course laid out in one corner. Turns out it was just a ridealong in one of a variety of cars they had, rather than a test drive or laptime competition, so I gave it a miss.

A larger arena in the centre had miscellaneous displays of hooning.

Honda brought along a couple of trials riders.

There were a few new cars dotted around as well, relatively mundane stuff interspersed with the odd more exotic machine.

No Miatas on the Mazda stand, but this should make up for it.

Security was slightly overkill.

Paging Ferremit

This was showing a few recent battle scars.

I think this was more "demonstrating setup work" than "poo poo, we broke it".

It's always good when drivers take the time to do autograph sessions.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 13, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Harley probably had the most bikes on display.

And a rolling road setup so people could have a play.

As always, Bibendum is everyone's bro.

The drift guys were their usual subtle selves.

KTM know their market. :japan:

Never too young to start racing.

Or to get fitted for a race suit.

Or to learn about motorsport photography.

There were a couple of interesting cars in the parking area, too:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My original reason for going out that way was to go and have a look around Toyota's exhibition hall. Unfortunately, it was being remodelled, and so was rather devoid of anything to see:

But the classics area on the other side of the shopping mall was open:

It's not just Toyotas, they have a variety of different cars, though the total number is quite small. I don't know if they maybe have a load in storage and just cycle them though at random?

This was nice, a walkway along the back wall lined with old books and sales brochures you can have a flick through.

The opposite wall is covered in cabinets filled with scale models.

The open-air central area has quite a European feel to it. Just don't look too closely at the text running on the edge of the mezzanine.

Err...

Said everyone in the overtaking lane.

There's a small shop and cafe downstairs, which in those terms isn't anything particularly special, but actually has my favourite feature in the place:

A large window looking out onto the workshop, where you want watch a team of old boys doing the restorations.

Here's one they did earlier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it appears that your train travels through heaven.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not gonna lie, I would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at that cafe every day.

Kind of surprised Megaweb had a VW Beetle restored. Is there a lot of non-Toyota content or is it just more like "these are significant cars, now for a room of the Corolla?"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It has lots of different cars. I was very surprised when I went there.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

rcman50166 posted:

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the youtube thread or here, but figuring as I made it I thought it'd be more appropriate here. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BYUZxAFJ0

I was at LRP for that race as well (and the ALMS race in July)

ALMS pics

Grand Am pics

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nice pics Dave, I haven't been out to Odaiba in too many years! Maybe next year...
Mind if I borrow that anime RC8 for a friend? He just bought one and I feel I should share with him how he should decorate it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Really enjoyed this page! Thanks for the awesome content dump. It really goes to show that Japanese designers had the foresight to make some things that would be beautiful through the decades. It begs to question what cars will be the ones that we gush about 40 years from now? The S2000 is the quick one that comes to mind

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A fast car got some new stickers:

I think I liked last year's bare carbon look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

That is too much torque.