Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

anakha posted:

Anybody know how many times El Generico and Kota Ibushi have faced each other 1 on 1? What would you say was their best match against each other?

Their match from DDT last year when Kota came back from injury immediately spring to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7fg8bI46Ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Junpei Hyde posted:

So what does NXT stand for anyway?
Wrestling.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
NXT is secretly owned by Goldberg.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MrBling posted:

NXT is secretly owned by Goldberg.

Adam Goldberg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

He'll be found grieving over Vince's body, declare that he must burn his own body, and disappear into the night on an ice floe.
Then Cesaro suplexes Shane through the ice.

CobiWann posted:

In a blaze of energy, Vince will regenerate into Bob Sapp.
A truly lamentable dust man.

Writer Cath posted:

Nonsense. When Vince dies, he'll have his brain surgically implanted somewhere on John Laurinitis' body, Krang style.
No, they'll put his brain in Trish Stratus' body.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm sure Meltzer or Alvarez would put one out, but I'd also expect insider takes from people like Cornette or the Huckster of varying quality.

Onmi posted:

For someone who claims that he doesn't give a gently caress, I don't think Cornette would put one out, or he would have done it while Vince was alive.
Isn't KB paying Cornette to give his insider take one snippet at a time?

sticklefifer posted:

When Vince actually dies, we're going to think it's a work.
I'm from Connecticut: The Vince McMahon Story.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I've been watching a lot of 80s WWF PPVs lately, and I'm wondering what the consensus as to the best announce team of that era was. I'll always love Monsoon/Heenan, and Bobby The Brain is the finest color guy to have speak into the microphone, but I think Monsoon/Ventura worked better as a team, if that makes any sense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TL posted:

I've been watching a lot of 80s WWF PPVs lately, and I'm wondering what the consensus as to the best announce team of that era was. I'll always love Monsoon/Heenan, and Bobby The Brain is the finest color guy to have speak into the microphone, but I think Monsoon/Ventura worked better as a team, if that makes any sense.

As a team, I preferred Ventura/Monsoon, but as a single unit, Bobby was the best.

Ventura/Monsoon just played off each other so much better, with Ventura performing mental gymnastics to justify the heel's action, and Monsoon getting more and more annoyed with him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TL posted:

There are so many reasons why each pairing is great, and really, it comes down to personal preference. Overall, I probably saw Heenan/Monsoon more often, and identify them as the top team of that era.

If you want a show to refer to, to justify my preference of Heenan and Monsoon, however - watch the 1992 Royal Rumble.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Heenan's performance on color for Rumble '92 is probably the best of the best. Just incredible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember Ventura being really good at giving faces credit for their strengths even when he hated them, like Chico Santana. Not so much with Heenan, although I loved how he single handedly added a dimension to Doink by going on about how he was a very good wrestler throwing people off with the clown act.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

nasboat posted:

Heenan's performance on color for Rumble '92 is probably the best of the best. Just incredible.

Him losing his poo poo when Flair wins is still so loving good. You can actually see him when the camera pans out going loving CRAZY.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

VogeGandire posted:

Him losing his poo poo when Flair wins is still so loving good. You can actually see him when the camera pans out going loving CRAZY.

Was it something like Flair was a last minute replacement for someone else as the winner of the Rumble and Heenan wasn't aware of the change?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The best thing about Bobby is his incredible consistency in hating the poo poo out of both Warrior and Hogan, and this was kept up across two different companies spanning about a decade.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Was it something like Flair was a last minute replacement for someone else as the winner of the Rumble and Heenan wasn't aware of the change?

There's hundreds of stories about it, but as much as anyone can piece together, as soon as they got hold of Flair in 91, he was always penciled in to win the Rumble.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

The best thing about Bobby is his incredible consistency in hating the poo poo out of both Warrior and Hogan, and this was kept up across two different companies spanning about a decade.
Pffft, I've been doing that since I was five.

Price Check posted:

The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling

It's the No Country for Old Men of wrestling documentaries.
Thank you for this. I'm not all the way through, but I love Hayes' claim that he invented music entrances.

Speaking of which, who was the first guy to do that? Gorgeous George?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ghostpilot posted:

No it's "Bobby Heenan was a great worker before he stopped caring" (where him stopping caring was in about 1993).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

No it's "Bobby Heenan was a great worker before he stopped caring" (where him stopping caring was in about 1993).

Although he did have one great moment in 93, entering WM9 backwards on a camel, looking absolutely terrified, because he was shitscared of the camel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Although he did have one great moment in 93, entering WM9 backwards on a camel, looking absolutely terrified, because he was shitscared of the camel.

He cared until his Monsoon kicked him out of RAW.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I just saw a review of Ultimate Warrior vs Golddust from In Your House 7.

Can anyone please explain how that came to be? :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Two wrestlers with a gay gimmick, one of whom knows it. It writes itself!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

I just saw a review of Ultimate Warrior vs Golddust from In Your House 7.

Can anyone please explain how that came to be? :psyduck:

They didn't want their horribly homophobic gimmick to lose the IC title to the horrible homophobe, but at the same time they didn't want the homophobe to lose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Perry Normal posted:

It's a little unsettling at moments. They talk a lot about how he's way the hell too obsessed with wrestling, but back then it was in a positive context.

Rewatching Eddie's 2004 DVD is absurdly depressing now. Vickie, Malenko, Benoit, Jericho and his kids all talking about how happy they are that Eddie came out alive on the other end of his addictions and that he has a second chance and a new lease on life and in reality he'd be dead within a year.

:negative:

The really tragic part is that in the year before his death, Eddie was planning on taking time off to rest because his body couldn't handle his schedule, but instead he powered through it and kept going.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

They didn't want their horribly homophobic gimmick to lose the IC title to the horrible homophobe, but at the same time they didn't want the homophobe to lose.

Also, Goldust was injured.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why was Josh Mathews taken off of the Smackdown commentary desk?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Because there is a just and loving God.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

why was anyone? the Smackdown commentary table has changed a ridiculous amount the past five or so years.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I will also believe JR and Heyman was a team that couldnt be beaten!

Heyman could sell ice to eskimos (except the ice would never show up)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Why the gently caress isn't Big E on TV?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Big E on TV?

His main supporter in the locker room is Cena. Guess who hasn't been around for the last couple of months?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

His main supporter in the locker room is Cena. Guess who hasn't been around for the last couple of months?

He started showing up again a couple of weeks back so I thought maybe that story was bullshit.... and then they announced Cena was returning at HiaC.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That doesnt make any sense though. Do they think Cena doesnt watch the show and would have no idea Big E wasnt around?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Valeyard posted:

That doesnt make any sense though. Do they think Cena doesnt watch the show and would have no idea Big E wasnt around?

It's hard to campaign for someone when you aren't meeting with creative. It's not as if they pushed him so as to not anger Cena, usually friends get pushed because you have the ear of creative.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Big E also kind of got screwed by the semi-short lived depush Ziggler received, the random semi-face turn AJ Lee received, and that they decided that rather than push RVD on the heels of his hot return, they'd fail to transfer his heat to midcarder with a world belt Del Rio. Langston got lost in the shuffle, and rather than induct him into midcard hell, they opted not to use him on screen.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

It's hard to campaign for someone when you aren't meeting with creative. It's not as if they pushed him so as to not anger Cena, usually friends get pushed because you have the ear of creative.

Given some of the things people say sometimes, I had assumed it was just to keep him happy, ah well cheers

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Valeyard posted:

Given some of the things people say sometimes, I had assumed it was just to keep him happy, ah well cheers

The only time I've heard of something happening to make Cena happy was when Brodus Clay was gonna get his dance cut at Wrestlemania and Cena just went "If he doesn't get to do his bit I'm not doing my bit."

EDIT: And Kenn Doanne just apparently hating him so much. No idea what he did to piss that guy off. Except sleep with his ex-fiance.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is RVD still on TV/over?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

crankdatbatman posted:

Is RVD still on TV/over?

He's taking time off now. He was still over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Valeyard posted:

I've never really heard any stories about them going out of their way to keep Cena happy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I've never really heard any stories about them going out of their way to keep Cena happy.

He made it clear leading up to one of the WM matches that he was not to lose before facing the Rock so people would buy him potentially winning. I also believe he had something to do with Zack Ryder's brief push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He made it clear leading up to one of the WM matches that he was not to lose before facing the Rock so people would buy him potentially winning. I also believe he had something to do with Zack Ryder's brief push.

Source on the first and the seconds like the Big E thing. "Hey I think this talent could be big." I don't think he went "Push Ryder or I'm going to blah blah blah."