Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hey, R.O.B is awesome and saved video games after the Great Atari Shovelware Crash. Nobody would stock video games in their stores after that so R.O.B let them market it as a physical toy with video components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's still stupid and shameless, regardless of whether they've done it in the past.
No it loving isn't. It's just a cute little detail that 90% of players probably skip without ever seeing.

It's not like every house in Pokemon has a Nintendo home console in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's still stupid and shameless, regardless of whether they've done it in the past.

How, precisely? How is this more stupid and shameless than a character in Luigi's Manson having a Game Boy Horror (and later a Nintendo Dual Scream?)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Black/White and Black 2/White 2 had the wii in the main character's room and made a big to do about the wireless motion controls.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Black/White and Black 2/White 2 had the wii in the main character's room and made a big to do about the wireless motion controls.

In black and white the player character's room even gets completely trashed by having a pokemon battle. If you inspect the wii afterwards they commment that it doesn't even have any scratches on it :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's cute and inconsequential and not really worth getting hatey over.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
It's an in-game advertisement for a system owned by the same company you've already paid money to. That's why it's shameless.

Some of you people really have drank the cool-aid, maybe even have it hooked up to an IV drip.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ran Mad Dog posted:

It's an in-game advertisement for a system owned by the same company you've already paid money to. That's why it's shameless.

Some of you people really have drank the cool-aid, maybe even have it hooked up to an IV drip.

I don't know maybe if it was out of place and or prominent I would care. Or maybe due to the setting of the games like this and Luigi's mansion I don't care. If it was say some how inserted into a stage of Super Mario 3D World I'd be upset. Honestly I'd be fine with don't or jocosity doing it with the same type of situation, e.x. I don't want goddam Nathan Drake to find a PS4 in a temple somewhere, but if say you're crashing through a random apartment somewhere with a PS4 hooked up does it really master. They could even have the title screen to some PS4 exclusive on there and add long add it's some random optional thing I don't even have to see, who gives a crap.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think we have what it takes to move on from sperging (literally sperging) over an easter egg in a game.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Fat_Cow posted:

So, 685 WiiU's were sold?

Hahagah, and also, does this mean's 685 Wii U's was sold?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

whaley posted:

Hahagah, and also, does this mean's 685 Wii U's was sold?

The only relevant information is in the article

quote:

The sudden improvement in sales follows the debut of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, which debuted at No.4 in the Chart-Track All-Formats Charts

Minecraft on the 360 is at #5, F1 2013 is at #3.

I think MCV is all game versions, including the bundled one? Who knows. Best guess it's probably still being outsold by the PS3/360 anyway.

Another clue on how dead it is here was from the unofficial price cuts a couple months ago

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analysis-can-nintendo-turn-wii-u-sales-around-this-christmas/0119501 posted:

Meanwhile, when Asda cut the price of Wii U by £100 three weeks ago, this resulted in just 250 extra console sales compared with the week previously. Amazon followed suit the following week, which caused a further 667 console sales.

edit: VGChartzlol reports 171k Wii Us sold in the UK from launch.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 12, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So for those hoping the WiiU could salvage itself with the cheaper versions of games, think again - Deus Ex Human Revolution will be more expensive on the WiiU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

So not only is it no longer exclusive, it's also more expensive than on any other platform. I think this is worse than the completed Wii U version of Rayman Legends being delayed for half a year so that it can come to all of the other systems.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

So not only is it no longer exclusive, it's also more expensive than on any other platform. I think this is worse than the completed Wii U version of Rayman Legends being delayed for half a year so that it can come to all of the other systems.

It's in a similar situation that Rayman was in: an "announced exclusive" of something that has made an appearance in some fashion everywhere else. I remember being pretty baffled by the Rayman Legends exclusivity. It was a game I definitely wanted to play, but I'd played the prequel on PS3 and PC, and now even have it on my Vita. "Why would the sequel to Origins be exclusive to a platform/company where the prequel did pretty poorly?" I thought.

Why give a poo poo about the paltry number of of Wii U owners, much less the even smaller numbers of them who would even buy this version of Human Revolution, when there are already millions of customers the "exclusive" content would have been snubbing had it stayed on the Wii U? Nobody who's already played through Human Revolution once would have really felt compelled to buy the Wii U for a tweaked version of the game.

The pricing is pretty lovely though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well Watch Dogs just got delayed to the 2014 Fiscal Year for ALL consoles. So at leasts April 1st. Doesn't help that it's one less game in the Wii U's holiday lineup.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't think anyone was under the delusion that Watch Dogs was going to sell on the Wii U seeing as how it's coming out for both next gen consoles.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Rovio is releasing a Mario Kart clone called Angry Birds Go! This is actually a pretty huge blow for Nintendo. Angry Birds is insanely popular among young kids, it's coming out on hardware everybody already owns, it comes out way before Mario Kart, and it's totally free.

If people thought that Mario Kart Wii U would move systems, this will probably put a huge damper in that. 30-somethings nostalgic for SNES and N64 Mario Kart might buy some Wii Us, but what kid is going to blow over three hundred dollars on the system + controllers + game when this is totally free? And theoretically, iPads and iPhones are all internet-connected, this could have amazing multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xP12tpJrl8

Doesn't look mind-blowing, but then again neither does the new "real" mario kart, and that's $60 :sigh:

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 15, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh n no cell phone games! Wrap it up game consoles.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
How ever will Mario Kart compete with Myth Makers Super Kart GP 2: Angry Birds Edition?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

greatn posted:

Oh n no cell phone games! Wrap it up game consoles.

Except that's not what was said at all, just that this particular game might take some of the steam away from another similar game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Except that's not what was said at all, just that this particular game might take some of the steam away from another similar game.

Yeah I mean, why buy a Star Wars game when you can get Angry Birds Star Wars?

I think this is more competing with Table Top Racing and Garfield Kart.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't think this particular free kart game for phones is going to have any more effect on Mario Kart then the thousands of other free smartphone/tablet kart games.

When i saw that post I at first thought Rovio was gonna put out their kart game on like, Wii/360/PS3 as well as mobile devices; that would have possibly been a big deal.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

Rovio is releasing a Mario Kart clone called Angry Birds Go! This is actually a pretty huge blow for Nintendo.

If it was coming on consoles, maybe. As an app, Nintendo has little to worry about.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Polo-Rican posted:

Doesn't look mind-blowing, but then again neither does the new "real" mario kart, and that's $60 :sigh:

It certainly looks like a lot more fun than MKWii or 7. I'd say you're stretching it on 8, that game is pretty much the only thing out early next year that I'm really wanting to play on my Wii U, and I think that's where some of the F-Zero ideas went. Looping tracks, defying gravity and drifting on the sides of buildings, come on that's gonna be rad.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mario Kart has steam? It doesn't even have a release date yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is the Wii U in such good shape that we have to start manufacturing doomsaying for it now? "What Nintendo doesn't want you to know about! The free app game that will kill all kart racers!"

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Fulchrum posted:

So for those hoping the WiiU could salvage itself with the cheaper versions of games, think again - Deus Ex Human Revolution will be more expensive on the WiiU

Well, we own a Wii U for my kid mostly, but, I have a PS3 and a PS4 preordered but I'm planning on getting Arkham Origins for $50. I know that it doesn't have multiplayer (not a big deal to me as GTA online is going to keep me busy forever), and I'm really looking forward to the gamepad features as well. So the cheaper thing definitely influenced me, but, we already own a Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That game looks like poo poo, and will probably play like poo poo when you have to tilt the iPhone to turn.

You need more than just a franchise driving carts. Crash Team Racing, Mod Nation Racers and LBP Karting were all mediocre at best. Having an unbalanced or confusing weapon system with really forgettable and generic stages is what kills all other games in the genre. Sonic Racing Transformed was pretty good as it had a lot of things going for it, but probably the closest to beating Mario Kart in the overall package.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think Nintendo has been doing a lovely job with WiiU too, but we're probably jumping the gun a bit when it gets to the point that people are saying Nintendo is hosed because of a phone game. Personally, I think the entire console industry will get turned into a niche-market once phones and tablets catch up, not just Nintendo. Smartphones and tablets have already dicked over the camera, MP3 player and pc markets. Eventually you're only going to see power users buying an actual console. People really do want a device that does everything. I bought one of those MOGA controllers for my Nexus 4 recently, and I can see the writing on the wall for consoles after spending a week or so with it. The only advantage a console has over a controller/phone combo is basically graphics, and it's only a matter of time before graphics on phones catch up because hardware makers are pouring so much money into developing new hardware.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 15, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

If it was coming on consoles, maybe. As an app, Nintendo has little to worry about.

Actually, Rovio isn't saying "android" or "iOS" anywhere on their marketing so far, so there's a chance they will port this to XBLA / PSN / WiiWare / Whatever.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

Is the Wii U in such good shape that we have to start manufacturing doomsaying for it now? "What Nintendo doesn't want you to know about! The free app game that will kill all kart racers!"

The majority of people who play video games do live in a free to play/in-app purchase world now whether we want to admit it or not. So even if that doesn't mean much to the rest of the industry we're still going to get articles saying that Mario Kart would make so much more money if it was free to play with in-app purchases.

It's gotten to the point where something like this isn't even some sort of trolling comment but just common talk.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Actually, Rovio isn't saying "android" or "iOS" anywhere on their marketing so far, so there's a chance they will port this to XBLA / PSN / WiiWare / Whatever.

... what?

quote:

Angry Birds Go will be launching on December 11th on iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, and Blackberry 10.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Ah ok. They conspicuously don't mention platforms on their website or the trailer video so I thought they weren't announcing it yet.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 15, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

... what?

LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's gotten to the point where something like this isn't even some sort of trolling comment but just common talk.

I'm actually not sure why they don't do that. It would seem above-board to me if there were still some other way to get that pokemon without playing, say later in the game.

Maybe they should have a pokemon auction house...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I'm actually not sure why they don't do that. It would seem above-board to me if there were still some other way to get that pokemon without playing, say later in the game.

Maybe they should have a pokemon auction house...

Nintendo uses Pokemon competitive stuff and 'free' Pokemon as a marketing tool and changing that to Pay To Win would actually hurt them in this regards because Pokemon itself is such a great seller by default. Microtransactions can be profitable but it has to be in the right circumstances and (especially considering X and Y's bizarrely good social features) they'd have to actually gimp the game in some way to make Pokemon Microtransactions actually profitable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I honestly thought Nintendo should have released the next Pokemon as a Skylanders game, only you don't know which Pokemon for $12 you are buying. It just comes in a Kinder egg style Pokeball. It would probably re-ignite the American economy with all of the extra child labour that would be created.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo uses Pokemon competitive stuff and 'free' Pokemon as a marketing tool and changing that to Pay To Win would actually hurt them in this regards because Pokemon itself is such a great seller by default. Microtransactions can be profitable but it has to be in the right circumstances and (especially considering X and Y's bizarrely good social features) they'd have to actually gimp the game in some way to make Pokemon Microtransactions actually profitable.

Yeah the Day Care for instance would essentially have to be dismantled due to how it's served as basically an unlimited pokemon baby making factory for over a decade now. It also ties into the global trading system and how easily you can get almost anything you want through it.

And people would flip their poo poo if that was changed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I honestly thought Nintendo should have released the next Pokemon as a Skylanders game, only you don't know which Pokemon for $12 you are buying. It just comes in a Kinder egg style Pokeball. It would probably re-ignite the American economy with all of the extra child labour that would be created.

They put out Pokemon Rumble U so they've got this idea in mind, they just don't want to use it for the main game just yet.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah the Day Care for instance would essentially have to be dismantled due to how it's served as basically an unlimited pokemon baby making factory for over a decade now. It also ties into the global trading system and how easily you can get almost anything you want through it.

And people would flip their poo poo if that was changed.

Yeah, there's not a lot Pokemon could offer just yet.

X/Y did however introduce trainer customization which could potentially be massively profitable in a future game. X/Y (or really the 3DS itself) isn't really geared towards it but a next-generation Pokemon could easily become a hell of TF2-style hats without actually impacting the gameplay in any fashion. Assuming someone at Nintendo/Game Freak was willing to adopt the idea.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Surely selling Pokemon at $2 a piece is the best way to make money, not selling an entirely identical game with the exception of a half dozen new Pokemon for $40. Haven't played the game since I was a kid, but I had both Red and Blue. A lot of people are buying both X and Y.

Expect Pokemon Z to come out at some point down the line with some marginal upgrades too.

• Locked thread