Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Uh.

According to the website

http://www.pokemon.com/us/

It might actually be three more hours, unless it's basing it off the client's system clock in which case laffo

We'll find out in forty minutes or so, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I found a shiny Geodude once.

It was in Soul Silver.

I still caught her somehow.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

SpaceDrake posted:

Uh.

According to the website

It might actually be three more hours, unless it's basing it off the client's system clock in which case laffo

I got 34 minutes on my machine

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SpaceDrake posted:

Uh.

According to the website

Says about an hour and a half over here on my end; I'm Central Standard Time, so that would be midnight here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Uh.

According to the website

Website clocks always base it off your region on your computer.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I once found a shiny Tyrogue. He became a Hitmonchan. This would be cool if I hadn't found it in Crystal. It is the only shiny I've ever found.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

I said come in! posted:

This is a long rear end wait.

You people on the east coast are big jerks :mad:

Says the guy who preordered a physical copy and intends to pick it up in the morning.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah it's system clock.

I was vaguely considering going to the midnight release at the store where I preordered my copy, but I think I'll instead settle for going there at a time when it won't be crowded with neckbeards trying to shove their way through the door and I won't be playing it in a half-conscious stupor.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Guess I'm gonna get up early and snag a copy at walmart before I go to work. Too paranoid about it being sold out when I get off.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Wonder Trade is both the most amazing thing where you can trade pokemon from further ahead in the game down to people in the earlier routes and also the biggest pile of discarded Fletchling's :gonk:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Haifisch posted:

So apparently Amaura and Tyrunt are day/night linked evolves - Amaura only evolves at night, and Tyrunt only evolves during the day. I have no idea why the hell they did this, since I don't think any other fossils have required anything beyond a simple level evolve.

Son of a bitch, I'm planning on using Tyrunt but can basically only play video games in the late afternoon/at night :argh:

Also shiny chat: I've encountered 3 shiny Pokemon in my time. The first Gulpin I ever encountered in Sapphire, but I wasn't totally paying attention at the start of the battle, and my Marshtomp was about to faint (after that rival encounter) so I ran. I encountered a shiny Cacnea in that same Sapphire playthrough and used like 30 Ultra balls but failed to catch it, I've thought about Poke Radar chaining a shiny one to make up for it. The third was a shiny Kricketune in Diamond while I was EV training a Weavile. I caught that one!

I used some RNG trickery to get a shiny Slugma and Bellsprout for use in SoulSilver, and between Gen 3 and 4 at various times either soft reset or used RNG trickery to get some shiny legendaries to follow me around in SoulSilver. I had a pretty badass Legendary Pokemon box in SoulSilver now that I think about it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

NextTime000 posted:

I got 34 minutes on my machine

W.T. Fits posted:

Says about an hour and a half over here on my end; I'm Central Standard Time, so that would be midnight here.

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeah it's system clock.

Sigh. It IS possible to code a set time clock, Nintendo duders :v: It's EST then, especially with the XY event going on in New York.

quote:

I was vaguely considering going to the midnight release at the store where I preordered my copy, but I think I'll instead settle for going there at a time when it won't be crowded with neckbeards trying to shove their way through the door and I won't be playing it in a half-conscious stupor.

Another good reason to get it off the eShop. Sure there'll be some download congestion, but I can just wait in comfort at home while that happens.

Also, as a final reminder, if you don't have enough money in your eShop account for the game, for the love of god, add it now. It might already be too late to avoid all the congestion, but you can probably still beat the worst of it. It might also not be that big a problem, but there's no real reason not to take care of it now, while we wait and while it's guaranteed to not be a laggy disaster.

I'm also going to be very curious to see if the eShop can actually survive this. Guess us eShop users will find out real soon :v:

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Denn du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst was es ist.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

You people on the east coast who are either downloading or picking it up in the morning are big jerks :mad:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about shinies, I had only one 1/8192 shiny ever, a Venonat in Crystal. After that, I only saw one shiny in the wild - an Unown in FR which I couldn't catch, and that was lame as hell.

I hope I get better luck now!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Sigh. It IS possible to code a set time clock, Nintendo duders :v: It's EST then, especially with the XY event going on in New York.

Another good reason to get it off the eShop. Sure there'll be some download congestion, but I can just wait in comfort at home while that happens.

Also, as a final reminder, if you don't have enough money in your eShop account for the game, for the love of god, add it now. It might already be too late to avoid all the congestion, but you can probably still beat the worst of it. It might also not be that big a problem, but there's no real reason not to take care of it now, while we wait and while it's guaranteed to not be a laggy disaster.

I'm also going to be very curious to see if the eShop can actually survive this. Guess us eShop users will find out real soon :v:

Can you add just $40? It looks to me like it's $10/$20/$50.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone happen to know when you find Dittos? Should I reset for female starters so I can breed more, or will a Ditto show up early on?

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock

ImpAtom posted:

You can add $20 twice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lysdexic posted:

You can add $20 twice.

Yeah, I was like "oh what the gently caress" for a few seconds before I remembered math :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you check out with less than $40 it'll just let you add the exact funds you need. That way you only have to do it once and it includes tax.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lysdexic posted:

You can add $20 twice.

Yeah but doesn't it have tax? (Sorry, I should have been clearer to make sure it wasn't like I was asking "2+2=4.")

DrManiac posted:

If you check out with less than $40 it'll just let you add the exact funds you need. That way you only have to do it once and it includes tax.

We're discussing adding money boforehand to avoid server problems, if I understand correct.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Gotta add twenty twice, I'm afraid. And no, there's no tax for adding cash to the shop.

KingLOCAR
Mar 4, 2004
MillDaKill is the BOMB
Dont forget tax. brings it up to 44.34 or something

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Just do $50 to account for taxes. If you wait until it's actually on sale you can just add the needed funds, but if you're trying to get money in ahead of time you have to use their increments.

It's not like it's a waste unless you plan to never buy something on the eShop again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Thinking about getting it, but how easy would it be to collect Pokemon not in X/Y? I know people did some trickery with the global center and wi-fi routers to collect giveaway Pokemon and so on in Diamond/Pearl, any idea if that will be doable in X/Y?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've pretty much decided not to get the game, but I have two questions-I-probably-know-the-answer-to that may change it.

--Have they done anything to streamline moving pokemon from a previous game other than "trade one at a time for a bajillion starting zone guys"? I actually have two DSes but that's always annoying to keep up to date, particularly as collections have gotten bigger.

--Any real access to previous editions' pokemon? B2/W2 made a big deal about it and had maybe ten you could encounter, I'm mainly getting tired of seeing "caterpie clone #15" and it would be nice to play with some of the more iconic guys like Squirtle. Seriously, we've got five generations of pretty-interesting starters that are as rare as Mewtwo and such these days, limited to store givaways and lucky trades (since you can't search for trades not in your dex). Instead if we see old pokemon it's guys like Zubat (even if Crobat is awesome it's a loving Zubat) or Ratatta.

--They haven't brought back the pokelympics have they? A guy can dream.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

SpaceDrake posted:

I just added funds and had no problem doing so. I don't know about what will happen to the eshop in 20 minutes, but it's functioning just fine right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Gotta add twenty twice, I'm afraid. And no, there's no tax for adding cash to the shop.

I just tried 'buying' Etrian Odyssey and it came out to $42.39

Edit: Huh, you could probably cheat it by just using EO to add the money and then not buy it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 12, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the eShop is more robust than people think, but we'll see.

And tax is only applied when you actually go to purchase the game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Some places have tax, others don't. I'm in Missouri and the e-shop is tax-free for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How did eshop handle the release of Animal Crossing?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Bruceski posted:

I've pretty much decided not to get the game, but I have two questions-I-probably-know-the-answer-to that may change it.

--Have they done anything to streamline moving pokemon from a previous game other than "trade one at a time for a bajillion starting zone guys"? I actually have two DSes but that's always annoying to keep up to date, particularly as collections have gotten bigger.

--Any real access to previous editions' pokemon? B2/W2 made a big deal about it and had maybe ten you could encounter, I'm mainly getting tired of seeing "caterpie clone #15" and it would be nice to play with some of the more iconic guys like Squirtle. Seriously, we've got five generations of pretty-interesting starters that are as rare as Mewtwo and such these days, limited to store givaways and lucky trades (since you can't search for trades not in your dex). Instead if we see old pokemon it's guys like Zubat (even if Crobat is awesome it's a loving Zubat) or Ratatta.

Pokebank is the only way to bring pokemon forward to Gen 6.

As far as your second question: Holy poo poo yes.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Nevileen posted:

I got three shinies in all my years: A shiny Beautifly in diamond, a shiny lapras in soul silver, and the one I nearly had a heart attack over....a Shiny feebas in emerald.

My shinies:

-A Skitty I caught in Ruby during a swarm.

-A Regice, also in Ruby, but I didn't know it was shiny for literally years, until I got a DS and could see with the backlight, because it's so similar in color and the GBA was so goddamn dim I never could've known.

-A Shiny Sentret in the Safari Zone in Heart Gold that got away :arghfist::mad:

-...A Shiny Sentret in the Route just outside New Bark Town, also in Heart Gold

-A shiny Buizel with surprisingly good IVs I caught at the route outside the Abundant Shrine in Black 1

-A shiny Maractus I got while hatching a ton of Maractus eggs for reasons I forget in Black 2. My favorite shiny! I should train her up.

Aside from that, I also got the Gible, Haxorus and Gyarados freebies, and the Shiny Event Beasts, and the Shiny Event Giratina from this week. Those don't count though.

Off to Gamestop for the midnight release.

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Everything except the last question is answered in the OP. Pretty sure the answer to question 3 is no though.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

How did eshop handle the release of Animal Crossing?

Very well, I downloaded it in about...10 minutes at midnight. The worst I heard of it among my friends was 30 minutes.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Yes! You can transport whole boxes... once Pokémon Bank opens in December.

Bruceski posted:

--Any real access to previous editions' pokemon? B2/W2 made a big deal about it and had maybe ten you could encounter, I'm mainly getting tired of seeing "caterpie clone #15" and it would be nice to play with some of the more iconic guys like Squirtle.
There's four hundred and fifty Pokémon in the Kalos regional Pokédex and only sixty-nine brand new Pokémon, but sorry you're not ever going to get wild Squirtles - starters are special. Maybe you'll make a new friend if you use Froakie!

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Don't forget you get a gen 1 starter, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nerdbot posted:

Very well, I downloaded it in about...10 minutes at midnight. The worst I heard of it among my friends was 30 minutes.

Sweet, i'm not worried then.

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Eleeleth posted:

Don't forget you get a gen 1 starter, though.

And you can totally get wild Squirtles in the Friend Zone or whatever it's called.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I found a shiny Geodude once.

It was in Soul Silver.

I still caught her somehow.

My first (and only) shiny was a geodude as well, I named her Goldie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Der Metzgermeister posted:

And you can totally get wild Squirtles in the Friend Zone or whatever it's called.

Let's just call it Friend Zone, be honest about it.

• Locked thread