Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something cool: Andrew Hulshult, the composer on ROTT 2013, is redoing a bunch of the Doom soundtrack for Brutal Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twz3vUHDz-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Wow. These are by far the best doom remixes i've heard so far, hope he remixes all the music in doom 1 and 2.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Man, those mixes are absolutely fantastic. I really hope he does them all as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

King Vidiot posted:

I think I found an eBay auction for the only one that anybody ever bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extreemly-rare-Madcatz-Panther-XL-joystick-trackball-mouse-PC-bundle-/310762251100?pt=Mice&hash=item485adfa35c

It looks like it connected through an old printer port and it comes with a floppy disk for installation. I guess I can forget about being the King.

Haha, you think that's the only one?

I bring you http://assassin3d.squarespace.com/

There's a semi-active discussion board and everything. These dudes are seriously obsessed with their ancient Win95 gaming peripherals (and modern trackball+joystick recreations).

Theoretically, you'll gain a benefit from the analogue movement afforded by the joystick. For instance, in Half-Life you can move almost as fast as running speed, without making any noise, supposedly really effective in deathmatches. But almost no FPS since has supported analog movement control, apart from possible a couple of console ports.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hey Dominic White, five pages too late but theres always Psychic for doom as well.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21681&sid=08bfcfcadf9a382c14ae942c3bd01e61

Infact, the source where i got this from might be of benefit: http://lparchive.org/Doom-Mods/

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

An Enormous Boner posted:

Didn't Descent 3 have a competitive scene?

A pretty massive one at that. those who won tournaments got special icons put into the game for them via some of the patches. hell, even up to the point of 2004-5 it was still going quite well. the only reason it died is because the master server was killed.

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played Retrovirus? Its on steam and they're messing with Oculus Rift support :getin:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2634

the issue with Retrovirus is that it's based off that one weird Toonami minigame, so you can only have one weapon at a time and the first one you get is pretty much the best one. the rest are particularly gimmicky and situational.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 11, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

A pretty massive one at that. those who won tournaments got special icons put into the game for them via some of the patches. hell, even up to the point of 2004-5 it was still going quite well. the only reason it died is because the master server was killed.

I thought so. I remember someone telling me about a friend of his who was way into it. It had some weird movement tricks, like Quake, except not... "triple banding" or something, where you would move forwards and up and sideways all at the same time, because it stacked.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I thought so. I remember someone telling me about a friend of his who was way into it. It had some weird movement tricks, like Quake, except not... "triple banding" or something, where you would move forwards and up and sideways all at the same time, because it stacked.

it made you move about 1.7 times faster. the strategy guide for the game even makes mention of how you pretty much HAVE to do this to be competitive online.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

"tri-chording"

:goonsay:

Yeah, it worked like that in all the Descents. If you couldn't do it, you couldn't possibly win in a fight with someone who could.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
So I had to reinstall my OS and files after constant BSODs finally screwed up the core files. Obviously, I've had to redownload G/ZDooM, but despite driver updates, everything looks stretched out and I can't fully aim up or down, instead of the free aiming and distortion-free aiming I had last.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Make sure you have OpenGL enabled in the video settings.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, um, I'm kinda new to the whole Doom modding thing. I've played some of the gameplay changers and they're fun, but I haven't seen good recomendations for packs that are essentially 'more Doom', and I really like the core gameplay's mix of inviting simplicity and intriguing death. Is there a good bestof list for that sort of thing, across the entire twenty years the game's been out?

edit: DEPTH, I MEANT DEPTH. But death is too funny a typo to overwrite.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

So, um, I'm kinda new to the whole Doom modding thing. I've played some of the gameplay changers and they're fun, but I haven't seen good recomendations for packs that are essentially 'more Doom', and I really like the core gameplay's mix of inviting simplicity and intriguing death. Is there a good bestof list for that sort of thing, across the entire twenty years the game's been out?

Here's Doomworld's annual awards, they should have more then enough maps and mods for you to grapple with.
Best of 1994-2003
2004 Cacowards
2005 Cacowards
2006 Cacowards
2007 Cacowards
2008 Cacowards
2009 Cacowards
2010 Cacowards
2011 Cacowards
2012 Cacowards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Keiya posted:

For "More Doom", Doom the Way id Did (for Doom), and Doom 2 the Way id Did (shockingly, for Doom 2), is literally that- Doom levels done in the style of the originals. For tougher challenges, try:

Scythe (doesn't start as tough as most "classic" megawads, so it's a good place to start)
Scythe II
Alien Vendetta
Kama Sutra
Speed of Doom

Oh, and play Plutonia from Final Doom, if you haven't done that yet. And once you do that, play Plutonia 2, and PCRP.wad.

and this is just really skimming the surface, there's a ton of great stuff out there.

mingest
Oct 5, 2013
Here's a fun question: how often do you save when playing through a megawad? GZDoom autosaves at the beginning of each level, and I gladly take that, but I've been allowing myself one 'halfway save' for every level, which I can take at any point after more than half of the enemies are dead. I'm not a pistol-start kind of person, but I'm curious how much other people let themselves save.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

For "More Doom", Doom the Way id Did (for Doom), and Doom 2 the Way id Did (shockingly, for Doom 2), is literally that- Doom levels done in the style of the originals. For tougher challenges, try:

Is D2TWID out?

mingest fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 12, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mingest posted:

Is D2TWID out?

It's out in beta, at least. The version I have is done except for the secret maps.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Delerion posted:

Wow. These are by far the best doom remixes i've heard so far, hope he remixes all the music in doom 1 and 2.

It's going to be really tough to chose between this and PSXMUSIC.WAD.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Delerion posted:

I hope he does Sign of Evil. That's my favorite Doom song.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

mingest posted:

Here's a fun question: how often do you save when playing through a megawad? GZDoom autosaves at the beginning of each level, and I gladly take that, but I've been allowing myself one 'halfway save' for every level, which I can take at any point after more than half of the enemies are dead. I'm not a pistol-start kind of person, but I'm curious how much other people let themselves save.
Zero times. I play through levels without saving and when I want to quit and come back, I just IDCLEV to the level I'm on. Never saving makes things significantly more tense and entertaining in my opinion. Your actions have consequences and you're never encouraged to try and "save scum" your way through hopeless situations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mingest posted:

I try to play through each level without saving or dying. If I make it to the end of the level in one piece, I keep everything I've got for the next level (no automatic pistol start). If I die in a level, I pistol-start the level over again. Generally, if a level has more than 200 enemies in it, I'll allow a save.

fragglet
Sep 14, 2005
I've got a christmas tree inside my head
Hi! This seems like an appropriate enough place to announce this, hopefully some of you guys can help me out.

I'm the author of Chocolate Doom (linked in the first post of this thread), and I've just released the first beta of version 2. If you use Chocolate Doom regularly then it would be very helpful if you could try out the beta binaries and let me know about any bugs you encounter. Thanks!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, late last year (around Christmas time), my cousin (13, but kinda more like 11) found a copy of Ultimate Doom, and since I played a bunch of Doom, he wanted me to help set it up. His computer doesn't really have OpenGL capabilities, so instead of GZDoom I set him up with ZDoom and Doom the way Id Did and Aeons of Death. I figured I'd ask, what are some Ultimate Doom .wads that are compatable with standard ZDoom?

Edit: vv I'm tempted to, that just might be his Christmas present.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 12, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Why not give him the Doom 2 wad?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Here's what came to mind:

Megawads:
Base Ganymede Complete
Ultimate Needs More Detail
Wonderful Doom
2002 A Doom Odyssey
DTWiD: Lost Episodes
ConC.E.R.Ned

Single Episodes:
Double Impact
The Classic Episode
The Classic Episode, part 2
Phobos Massacre
CH Retro
Simply Phobos
Redemption
Phobos Revisited
Phobos Anomaly Reborn
Inferno
Back To Basics
Subversion

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

fragglet posted:

Hi! This seems like an appropriate enough place to announce this, hopefully some of you guys can help me out.

I'm the author of Chocolate Doom (linked in the first post of this thread), and I've just released the first beta of version 2. If you use Chocolate Doom regularly then it would be very helpful if you could try out the beta binaries and let me know about any bugs you encounter. Thanks!

Cool stuff, I build from the v2-branch a while ago but having a unified UI for Mac is nice to have again (as opposed to running from the commandline).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

catlord posted:

So, late last year (around Christmas time), my cousin (13, but kinda more like 11) found a copy of Ultimate Doom, and since I played a bunch of Doom, he wanted me to help set it up. His computer doesn't really have OpenGL capabilities, so instead of GZDoom I set him up with ZDoom and Doom the way Id Did and Aeons of Death. I figured I'd ask, what are some Ultimate Doom .wads that are compatable with standard ZDoom?

Edit: vv I'm tempted to, that just might be his Christmas present.

Why doesn't it have OpenGL capabilities?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bouchacha posted:

Either he's mistaken, or the parents should be nailed for child abuse for giving their son a computer that's almost twice as old as he us.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Either he's mistaken, or the parents should be nailed for child abuse for giving their son a computer that's almost twice as old as he us.

Seriously, even my old EeePC with a single core Atom had OpenGL.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I don't see what the big deal is. My laptop doesn't support OpenGL.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Maybe his laptop has an AMD card! :downsrim:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

It's like, a $200 machine. It think it does have OpenGL capabilities, but I don't think very well, and it's not really a great PC overall. I dunno, it's an eMachine, but I have no idea what kind, just that it's a couple years old now. I was just trying to get him something that ran well, I originally tried setting him up with Chocolate Doom, but he requested mods and I figured ZDoom would be easier to find them for.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

catlord posted:

It's like, a $200 machine. It think it does have OpenGL capabilities, but I don't think very well, and it's not really a great PC overall. I dunno, it's an eMachine, but I have no idea what kind, just that it's a couple years old now. I was just trying to get him something that ran well, I originally tried setting him up with Chocolate Doom, but he requested mods and I figured ZDoom would be easier to find them for.

You should give it a try, it's not as though Doom is fairly graphics intensive. I was playing GL Doom Legacy back on a computer with an integrated ATI Rage Pro back in the 90s, so certainly even a cruddy budget machine can do that now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

You should give it a try, it's not as though Doom is fairly graphics intensive. I was playing GL Doom Legacy back on a computer with an integrated ATI Rage Pro back in the 90s, so certainly even a cruddy budget machine can do that now.

Worth a shot, I guess. Who knows, GZDoom worked on my older laptop.

SavageMessiah posted:

Here's what came to mind:

That looks like a good list, I'll send him the links.

Edit: And I should tell him to get Chex Quest. Is there a version of Samsara without Duke? 'Cause I think he'd like it, but I suspect my aunt would not be pleased with Duke in it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 13, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

BattleMaster posted:

Haha, we used Doom 95 in our computer repair lessons as a test program in (UK) college.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

I know you're on probation, but if you are reading this I just wanted to thank you for including a Blue's News link. That site, and one called 3D Gamers or similar I think, were effectively synonomous with early FPS games for me. I was really surprised to find recently that Blue's News is still active (and aesthetically almost unchanged from when I read it 10+ years ago). It's also sad to think about how that site was named after the guy's dog, Blue, who he would mention in updates and who is definitely way dead now.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

catlord posted:

Edit: And I should tell him to get Chex Quest. Is there a version of Samsara without Duke? 'Cause I think he'd like it, but I suspect my aunt would not be pleased with Duke in it.

There's two ways you can go about this.
In the console, please enter one of the two:
samsara_cl_ballgag 1 - This command basically tells Duke to put a clap on that trap, and he'll keep his mouth shut without any of his quips. No kill messages, no death messages, no gib messages, etc.
samsara_banduke 1 - This, well, forbids Duke Nukem from being played at all. It uses a Spectate system to kick people out of the game that try to enter as Duke, though, which Zandronum has but ZDoom doesn't--so I'm not entirely sure if it will work or not.

If neither of these work, please let me know and I'll whip up a quick version! :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zero Star posted:

Haha, we used Doom 95 in our computer repair lessons as a test program in (UK) college.

The first thing we did on our computers in my Cisco networking class in school was download Doom and "test" our setups with a deathmatch. This was in like 2007 :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

There's two ways you can go about this.
In the console, please enter one of the two:
samsara_cl_ballgag 1 - This command basically tells Duke to put a clap on that trap, and he'll keep his mouth shut without any of his quips. No kill messages, no death messages, no gib messages, etc.
samsara_banduke 1 - This, well, forbids Duke Nukem from being played at all. It uses a Spectate system to kick people out of the game that try to enter as Duke, though, which Zandronum has but ZDoom doesn't--so I'm not entirely sure if it will work or not.

If neither of these work, please let me know and I'll whip up a quick version! :)

Well, the problem is is that he's two states away and he's probably not going to remember to enter console commands.

Also, had him check his graphics card, it's actually better than I expected. I thought it'd be an Intel chip or something, which I know doesn't really work with GZDoom, but turns out it's some sort of Nvidia card, so thanks for that, that'll help out a lot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Clearly the best control scheme for Descent:

I played the gently caress out of some PSX Descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I play GZdoom with some rather intense wads and it works beautifully on my Macbook air 2011 with all details on