Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Also he wanted to move to New York to be with his girlfriend. Not a huge deal, and both him as well as the Game Grumps channel have been putting out good quality videos ever since.

Oh okay, fair enough. I just haven't watched any of their videos for months so I was just a bit confused is all.

e: For content, here's one of those Minecraft LPers. Calls himself Pausoaresjr. He's alright, pretty much the same as all the other ones except he has a series of tutorials for the game which I found pretty cool. Also, it helps that he doesn't (didn't? I haven't watched any of his videos in a while either) do the whole zany wacky random/a million offensive quips a second thing.

The worst thing I ever did to my little brother was show him these videos (and other LPs). He used to go outside and play sports. :negative:

Saith fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I didn't MIND Jon in Game Grumps, but I will admit that Danny Sexbang bounces off Egoraptor way better, and provokes less nostalgia boners than Jon did.

And when you provoke a nostalgia boner from Egoraptor, he becomes INSUFFERABLE.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I just wish Retsupurae still got hate mail like it used to. Let's Play: The Play was fun as hell.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So whenever the subject of off-site LPs comes up, I always can't help but bring up "Video Games Awesome!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/farfromsubtle?feature=g-high-u

I'm going to imagine just the header image for their channel put some people off, but honestly, I love these guys' content. They have good chemistry and they do a surprisingly good job showing off the games they play. While the fact that they have themselves on screen the whole time might seem a little off-putting, the whole operation is a lot less ego-driven than it at first appears. Fraser (the one in the hat, who is the one playing the game 99% of the time) has gone on record saying he tries to make sure the games are the star of the show, and while they occasionally go off on weird tangents of their own, it's usually only to fill space during dull moments. Fraser even maintains his own bizarro version of the three-month rule. When a game comes out, they'll do a handful of videos as a "First Look," but then wait a month or so to allow people to play the games themselves before they continue.

All their videos are recorded from live streams, and 95% of the time, the games are played blind. This actually creates an interesting dynamic where Fraser will get stuck and ask the stream chat (which is cleverly kept on-screen at all times) for help. It's an interesting system because it allows all the fun of first-time reactions while at the same time ensuring they're almost never stuck too long.

The biggest complaint people (particularly from SA) tend to have about the show is that they find Fraser grating. While he does ham it up a bit on the show...I dunno, it grows on you is all I can say. His high energy serves the purpose of pulling his companions out of their shells and getting them talking, as one gets the sense they'd be pretty quiet without him around.

And yeah, they wear costumes. They've done so ever since Fraser played a clip of another YouTube Let's Play show where the people where costumes and Becky latched onto the idea. Becky's actually really drat good at making costumes and a lot of effort goes into them. In fact, while we've never been given a full behind-the-scenes, it's clear Fraser puts a lot of effort into the video and audio mixing of the show, with a very complex system being used to pull off their multi-screen green-screen setup (which, remember, is being streamed live).

I watch these guys as much (if not sometimes more than) I watch regular Let's Plays. For a YouTube channel of nothing but stream uploads, they're probably one of the highest-effort examples you'll find.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

So whenever the subject of off-site LPs comes up, I always can't help but bring up "Video Games Awesome!"

It should also be mentioned that people pay $50 to be in the on-screen chat.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

whitehelm posted:

It should also be mentioned that people pay $50 to be in the on-screen chat.

Eh. It's essentially a donation system for fans, created as a reaction to the very real concern that their ad revenue (which Fraser and Becky live on) could be pulled at any moment over copyright issues. To their credit, they don't push it at all, especially now that professional Game Video Making has become more of a "thing" on YouTube and the threat of it disappearing overnight is getting less and less likely.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

I didn't MIND Jon in Game Grumps, but I will admit that Danny Sexbang bounces off Egoraptor way better, and provokes less nostalgia boners than Jon did.

And when you provoke a nostalgia boner from Egoraptor, he becomes INSUFFERABLE.

Yes, Egoraptor tell me again about how old games didn't need tutorials and how modern games suck because they do, while you gently caress around not knowing what to do for 20 minutes AGAIN.

Tutorials were created for people like YOU Egoraptor!

Egoraptor being a complete idiot about old games is why I stopped watching a while ago.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you still have one of them lying around, this would be a great place to show it off.

Looking at them again I suppose maybe they have missed the concept of an archive and think all of the authors live in a house together and all read these emails. drat english lacking a plural/singular 'you':

quote:

hey i have a question about wild arms 5 that i really hope you can answer. i want to know how to get to the final pillar boss in northwest filgaia, your lets play guide dont say how to get to the boss, it only says how to defeat it.

and thanks in advance.

martin

quote:

Hi there,

I literally just finished Baten Kaitos: Origins, and I was reading your "where are they now" article, which references the pictures of each character during the credits. The people in the very first picture are Lyuvanne and Almarde, I believe... Anyways, funny article! Amazing game. I haven't really played video games in 13 years, but this one totally enthralled me.

Cheers

quote:

Subject: Questions regarding FF 3 glitch

When I read this, it says to save after you leave Narshe with Locke and Terra and not to save at all until after you have gotten to the Floating Continent and died. But then it mentions something about save states. What are these and how do you use them? Can this trick be done on the version I downloaded for my PS3?

Thanks!

quote:

Subject: About PE2 walkthrough..

Good evening! Hope you all are good. Well, I'm laughing so hard from my bed reading the PE2 commentary, already read PE1, so funny too! Thanks for doing this, guys! I want to know, about pe2, the screenshots looks so good! Did you use emulator? How did you configured the video plugin (that I imagine would have been pete's opengl2 one).. Thanks in advance! It looks so awesomely.
Keep up the cool work!

quote:

Hello,

I was looking at your broken pokemon archives from a while ago, and was wondering if you ever fixed the rest of those games, and if not what happened to them?

Thanks

Side Note: I've actually had multiple requests for those broken pokemon games.

Not particularly funny but there you go. Mostly I post the ones crazy enough to be amusing in the sandcastle, I could always repost them here.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Rocketlex posted:

I don't really watch them, though it's worth linking this amazing audio bug they ran into while livestreaming Ducktales Remastered. It's probably one of my new favorite game bugs.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

baldurk posted:

Not particularly funny but there you go. Mostes I post the ones crazy enough to be amusing in the sandcastle, I could always repost them here.

Please do. They can be easily missed in the sandcastle.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Guess it's time to fire up the ol' prewritten response and forward to a lot of people.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Rocketlex posted:

Another thing worth remembering about VGA is that they started as a sketch comedy based on video games, then transitioned to the live stream format, so there's probably a bit of holdover from those early days in their style. I still recommend checking out at least one of their streams - find something you'd watch a Something Awful LP of; they've done so many that there has to be one - and give it a video or two to draw you in. They're a really entertaining crew, and they give the games they're playing, as well as the audience, the respect they deserve. They've got a system (which sounds stupid but at least seems to work) for people in the chat to signal that they absolutely know what they're talking about and giving valid hints, so when they get stuck and need to turn to the chat for help, it gets them past the block most of the time and it's generally more amusing than watching them stumble around and fail constantly.

If you're not completely tired of the game itself yet, their Rhythm Heaven Fever stream was pretty good until they hit Remix 10. They let each player have a turn at each game, and one of them (possibly because he always went last) managed to do really well in most of the games even without practice. The game itself is fun to watch, so I think it's a pretty fair showing of their general entertainment quality.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nidoking posted:

Another thing worth remembering about VGA is that they started as a sketch comedy based on video games, then transitioned to the live stream format, so there's probably a bit of holdover from those early days in their style. I still recommend checking out at least one of their streams - find something you'd watch a Something Awful LP of; they've done so many that there has to be one - and give it a video or two to draw you in. They're a really entertaining crew, and they give the games they're playing, as well as the audience, the respect they deserve. They've got a system (which sounds stupid but at least seems to work) for people in the chat to signal that they absolutely know what they're talking about and giving valid hints, so when they get stuck and need to turn to the chat for help, it gets them past the block most of the time and it's generally more amusing than watching them stumble around and fail constantly.

If you're not completely tired of the game itself yet, their Rhythm Heaven Fever stream was pretty good until they hit Remix 10. They let each player have a turn at each game, and one of them (possibly because he always went last) managed to do really well in most of the games even without practice. The game itself is fun to watch, so I think it's a pretty fair showing of their general entertainment quality.

The only problem I have had with them recently is with longer more complicated games (i.e. Puzzle games or adventure games) It gets annoying to watch them stumble around for 20 mins ignoring what (at least seems to me) the obvious answer while Fraser gets pissed off and then spend another 10-20 mins trying to explain how ether it should be that "complicated" or how the game is somehow at fault.

I do Like there Minecraft Awesome and some of there earlier streams.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't really watch them, though it's worth linking this amazing audio bug they ran into while livestreaming Ducktales Remastered. It's probably one of my new favorite game bugs.

They did have a great ending for their Four Swords Adventures LP. After spending around 90 minutes on the last level, one of them accidently unplugs his GBA during the scoring causing the game to reset.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Eulisker posted:

Please do. They can be easily missed in the sandcastle.

I get a lot of emails that are just some youtube guy wanting more publicity, or stuff like that. Interestingly of late I've had some people wanting like kickstarter publicity or something who are obviously just spamming any remotely gaming related website. I have a folder that's called "Dumb poo poo" where I keep anything from the predictable:

hello, an L.P. hosting request posted:

i would be indubitebly obliged if you would host the first part of my No More Heroes LP (I do not have a something awful forums account but I am savvy to the "scene", per say)
it is VERY IMPORTANT. is this ok?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<snip>
tell me what you think.............

to the insane:

HELP! posted:

ya can u help me with the death mark 2 boss its so hard each time I hit it it goes back to ful health ples HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I deleted quite a lot of !s here) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to the confusing:

Unsubscribe posted:

Hi
I would like to be unsubscribed from lets play please....0784183526 ASAP
Thank you

or this classic crazy-person-email:

so many questions...archive logins? interaction? etc posted:

does the archive really have to be only a passive archive?
(if so, can it at least be passive in a way that lets us make our own private libraries for enjoying our favorites?)

*((out of all of this crap, i really only want this the most)) i would like to be able to favorite the LP's that i like, as well as bookmark chapters in those specific LP's that i found to be outstanding and would like to revisit, as well as 'subscribe' or follow the author of the LP or be informed via email as to when another of their LP's have been completed and added to the archive.

also being able to 'wait' for a LP that hasn't been done yet (like not even started) but when it is submitted, being emailed about it. sort of like a request, but not. i think this would require a list of game titles from every console and selecting from it, (gamefaqs style-ish?) and selecting how you want to be informed, either via email or just membership notification. (not exactly the same as a request, but could even post the numbers (rated highest to lowest ) for the games people would most like to see LP's for. so authors instantly know there is a captive audience, ready and waiting.)

would there ever be a future where folks would be able to comment on the finished lp's here, rather than on the something awful forums? what about being able to rate the LP's labeled humorous for just how funny they are, or aren't?

will there ever be other ways of submitting completed LP's to the archive, beyond the somethingawful forums? if you are chained to them, is it by need or by desire? i feel like this website has a lot of potential and could become the LP headquarters of the English speaking internet if the right protocols were in place. (w/ editing tools, submission formats for the ss lets plays, quality control... idk.)

sorting them by complete - incomplete - most popular - highest rated for humor, for completion, for instruction. etc.

**((and this i want second most)) text, ss, video, hybrid.... humorous, completionist, voice, subtitles, group HD...
it is absolutely not enough to only be able to select one filter at a time. the main two types of LP's i enjoy are Humorous&Screenshots or Video&Subtitles. it is pointlessly annoying having to select the one category, and then spend 5 mins scanning the lists for games titles im interested in and then trying to find one with formats that i want to view. (think of the methods of organizing searches that websites for diverse and numerous media use, like imdb or danbooru or mangafox use. w/ so many methods of filtering, you can almost always find exactly what you're looking for immediately)

***(and this i want 3rd most) will games ever be listed by their categories, like horror/roleplaying game/strategy?
(and being able to 'subscribe' to certain categories, to see when new LPs of these types of games, or following your desired formats, are submitted, rather than having to pick through all of the newly submitted and hoping that when you log in next you won't have waited too long and lost something you would have liked to have viewed in the ever growing oblivion of LPs, where it waits for you to hopefully, someday, stumble onto it. (and wonder wtf how did i miss this?) )
(this would work out better than the overly specific 'wait' list for LPs that haven't been started yet, but personally i would love and use both options for a lot less hassle. -> (just b/c i want to see a LP of chocobo racing doesn't mean i want to have to look through an entire list of racing games like gran turismo 29 or w/e number they are on now. nor would i want to have to do so repeatedly in hopes that i hadnt missed its posting. and actually, what about adding a search bar? it doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to know the game titles)

welps, that's enough happy and crappy suggestions(textbrixx) from me for one day.

until next time...!
(to which you may respond: ohgodplzno )

laters :D

This is the "I invented LP" email referenced earlier in the thread.

The Awesome Incarnate posted:

Subject: Requesting Reply Regarding "First" Video Let's Player, Official Proof Herein Provided as Requested....

To whom it may concern, primarily one: Slowbeef -

My name is The Awesome Incarnate, formerly known as OwnageIncBFinch on YouTube. Before I get started, know that I have quarrels with slowbeef, nor anyone from Something Awful. I don't have a direct beef with DSPGaming, however, I have had several conversations with him and I'm definitely not supporting his claim to the Let's Play genre. Nor am I making a claim to being THE founder of Let's Plays, merely ONE of the founders. Despite my neutrality, recently there has been a back-and-forth exchange between myself and others regarding who started what and when. I humbly remained neutral until recently when it was brought to my attention that I may have been referenced in a post, linked below:

http://slowbeef.tumblr.com/post/41879526522/did-i-start-lets-play

Under Section 6 - What Doesn't Count:

"The podcast I mentioned earlier also claims authorship of LP because one guy claims to have VHS recorded a video game and shown his friends in middle school."

Rather or not this specific sentence or section refers to me remains to be seen, however, if it is a reference to me, I certainly wasn't in middle school. Regardless, the next paragraph reads:

"But anyone can say they recorded anything. If anyone has a VLP that predates mine, and they’ve got a timestamp on an Internet post, hey, you win, go nuts."

I am writing this letter to do just that. While your Screenshot Let's Play of Metal Gear Solid 2 appears to have been 404'd, I notice that your first Video Let's Play (VLP) is dated 2007. Mine are hardcoded and time stamped on YouTube in 2006, even though they were rendered and uploaded to FileFront in 2005 and posted on the Mack and Mesh forums. Today, after logging into my old YouTube account, OwnageIncBFinch, I attempted to make two of the old "Burton VS FEAR" videos public, and the public posting date automatically changed to August 3rd, 2013, despite having 6-7 year old comments in the comments section. I've produced a video to back up my claims in case you believe the attached images to have been edited in any way. It will be viewable at my primary YouTube channel linked below. I can also provide a CD that was burned after I edited and uploaded my videos to FileFront in October and November of 2005. The CD has time stamps, raw video files (unedited), and more. I also have a hard drive with Pinnacle Studio 9 project files on them.

However - I am NOT trying to make a claim that I am the first Let's Player, if anything - I would claim that I am the third behind Mack and Mesh (2004), 2nd if you count Mack and Mesh as a single user/entity/group.

Also - to clarify - I only used an old RCA VHS camcorder playing the FEAR Demo, entitled - Burton VS FEAR - in August of 2005. That video was ALL VHS Camcorder footage, without Picture in Picture, and was uploaded to GameFront/FileFront the next day after editing. In October 2005, two months later, the full game of F.E.A.R. had been released. By then I had been in touch with Mack and he had instructed me on how to edit footage for Picture-in-Picture using Pinnacle Studio. Using the software "GameCam" to capture in-game footage (as we all do today with FRAPS) and using the same VHS Camcorder to film my face/side/reactions (as we do today with webcams) using an old Pinnacle Capture Card (that I still have a Best Buy receipt to), I then used Pinnacle Studio 9 to edit and synchronized the footage, render the videos, etc. The Picture-in-Picture technique was taught to me by Mack, the friend and editor of Mesh - who released "Mesh does Doom 3" in 5 or 6 separate parts throughout the Fall of 2004.

Until then, I guess I win? And the prize is still nothing, right? We’re clear on that?

I have the exact same attitude. However - as of late - I've noticed that the entire genre has become a business. It's allowed me to rub shoulders with journalists, professional gamers, game designers, entertainers, radio hosts, and TONS of people I wouldn't had met if I hadn't returned to YouTube in 2011. However - I have found myself questioning why I made the decision to quit doing gaming videos in 2007. I find myself regretting privatizing my videos all because a manager at my real job threatened me over the vulgar content of them, despite filming them in my own home. Later the Union became involved and she was actually fired following an investigation of cyber stalking and harassment, started by accusations not just from me but others as well. Despite her joining the bread line, I was too cautious of copyright infringement at the time, and therefore stayed at my real job to pursue a promotion opportunity, rather than continue doing walkthrough videos, scare reaction compilations, etc.

Had I stayed on YouTube, who knows? Back then, my videos pulled 2,000-4,000 views a piece. The "Alone in the Dark" episode of me playing FEAR pulled 11,000. Today? That's a drop in the bucket. Back then? It was the equivalent to pulling 100,000 views today. Again, I don't do this for the money, and I still work for the same company, though I have since been promoted several times, and despite being happy - I'm far from content.... I just want to be able to look back and say I started something, or was part of something when it began... Hopefully, this letter and the attached screenshots will do just that.

Sincerely,

http://www.youtube.com/TheAwesomeIncarnate

{attached like 6 screenshots of youtube pages}

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

quote:

if you are chained to them, is it by need or by desire?

Man, this is so awkwardly worded.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

quote:

Hi
I would like to be unsubscribed from lets play please....0784183526 ASAP
Thank you

This made me laugh so extremely hard but I still can't figure out what it means, it's confusing on so many levels.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
One LPer I really like is SupaGoGoMan or A Guy Named Kim Who Isn't Korean. He's puts a lot of effort into his let's plays and really tries to make his videos be interesting. His latest LPs were of Shenmue and Shenmue 2, where he manages to make both be very interesting, instead of the borefest that Shenmue sometimes end up being. He's done other LPs of Dino Crisis and Star Fox Assault as well. Overall, very good and informative.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The young man walks up to the podium in his old suit. Looking over the audience, he says "My name is The Awesome Incarnate, formerly known as OwnageIncBFinch on YouTube."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Wrong thread folks, nothing to see here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

A while back I did a Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter LP that shows some 1000 views on the first video and ended with less than 100 by the last video.

By contrast, my Tomb Raider LP started with 1400 views and evened out around 400 by the end. The difference between the first and second episode in view count was nearly 400, and then another 100 every few episodes after that.

Yeah I've had pretty much the same thing with all my LPs I've done so far, huge spike of like 1k viewers or something on my first Halo 1 video before it just dropping not to even half that from thereafter and then it has just repeated itself afterwards. I've just come to accept that as a thing really.

ApeHawk posted:

1 minute intros... ugh.

A thing I am kinda guilty of doing. :blush:
Even if doing the intros for the HAWX 2 LP in particularly was probably some of the most fun I had with that since I did my utmost best to make them sync up somewhat with the music in line with the actual show intros I used.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Slowbeef posted:

But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

I like the new Alone in the Dark videos, but I skipped past all of the books after the first one. There's also the segment with the woman at the beginning, showing off her opening sequence as well as the game over cutscene, and there's also the cutscenes of the characters walking all the way through the mansion to reach the attic before the player actually starts the game, which could have been cut out.

The actual gameplay is really fun to watch, especially with the clunky animations and the goofy enemy designs, but these videos could be cut to half the length if they weren't meant to be showing off everything. I cut out loading screens as well as other parts that harm the pacing in the videos I've done, because I can't stand it when a video is wasting my time. I understand why a video game would have loading screens or backtracking, but it's not something the audience needs to see.

E: Maybe it wouldn't work with the longplay format, since you'd either be editing the videos before both of you comment on them, or afterwards, and end up removing some of your commentary. Since I prefer post commentary, I can go through the video and change what I want before recording over it, but for live commentary or group commentary, that might not be practical.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 12, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

LeafyOrb posted:

Yes, Egoraptor tell me again about how old games didn't need tutorials and how modern games suck because they do, while you gently caress around not knowing what to do for 20 minutes AGAIN.

Tutorials were created for people like YOU Egoraptor!

Egoraptor being a complete idiot about old games is why I stopped watching a while ago.

It's not just that. It's that he goes "back in those days developers knew that..." while completely ignoring that there were just as many, if not MORE, bad games that did not explain themselves back then. Yes, Mega Man X was really good and it taught you all this poo poo you're supposed to do and that you can do and yadda yadda yadda. But let's take a game made around the same time... Mario's Time Machine. Both were made in 1993. Mario Is Missing is an awful game for many reasons, but least of which is that it doesn't explain itself very well. Like... at all. MechWarrior also fails to explain itself pretty well. And Shadowrun.

Long story short, GAME DEVELOPERS DID NOT REALLY KNOW ABOUT TEACHING THROUGH DOING BACK THEN. The Mega Man games were an exception, as well as most well-known SNES/Genesis games back in the day. Yeah, games tend to hold your hand a little bit these days, but aside from a few gems, most games back in the NES/SNES/Genesis era were either simple platformers or "read the manual or lose, shitlord".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

I like the new Alone in the Dark videos, but I skipped past all of the books after the first one. There's also the segment with the woman at the beginning, showing off her opening sequence as well as the game over cutscene, and there's also the cutscenes of the characters walking all the way through the mansion to reach the attic before the player actually starts the game, which could have been cut out.

I stole a page from Chip Cheezum and did "Reading ends after" callouts to see how it works. AitD is actually a pretty short game it turns out.

Honestly, though, these are still nowhere near the LPs done by Malorie... maybe I should advertising those in them. I never really gave a lot of thought to wrongpuraes outside of "they are fun to do" until now.

Squeeit
Feb 19, 2011
One LPer I think is worth mentioning is OverTheGun. He does a bunch of games and is pretty calm, doesn't record his face (apart from on blip, which he promptly stopped if I recall rightly) and doesn't talk about anything personal during his videos - he keeps them focused on the game, which is a huge plus personally. He has videos like 'Indiegestion' where he'll play about half an hour of and indie game, or 'Retrospecs' where he'll play something older, and then just regular playthroughs.

He has some negatives. Some people can't understand his accent very well (Yorkshire) and he has dropped a few LPs without explaining in the past. He doesn't really adhere to the three month rule, but then again I don't think he visits SA so I doubt he knows of it. Some videos can be hit or miss. I'm sure there are others but I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Still, I find him pretty funny and sometimes his reactions to things can be golden. When he messes up he doesn't blame it on the game, just admits to slipping up. He's pretty good at video games especially FPS' and really enjoys playing everything he does. All in all he's just a joy to watch for me, and I hope I'm not missing anything out.

Here's an example picked at random if you fancy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OduukuVSONI

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Slowbeef whatever happened to Kings Quest 7? I guess it was just too boring. I really liked the longplay commentary for KQ5 and 6, but 7 was just... not worth it. That's the best way I can describe it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Slowbeef posted:

I stole a page from Chip Cheezum and did "Reading ends after" callouts to see how it works. AitD is actually a pretty short game it turns out.

Honestly, though, these are still nowhere near the LPs done by Malorie... maybe I should advertising those in them. I never really gave a lot of thought to wrongpuraes outside of "they are fun to do" until now.

Actually it's a trend with a lot of old games I've noticed. Games are really short if you know exactly what you're doing. Probably why the Done-Quick (Not sure what that speed runner groups goes by) guys do what they do.

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.

That loving Sned posted:

I like the new Alone in the Dark videos
So do I. Like Darkseed 2, for me at least, a lot of the humor is coming from the incompetence of the longplayer. Most (but not all) of the non-sequitur-seeming puzzles actually do have hints that he's skipping. Those weird sliding movements Carnby makes stems from his not throttling down the emulator's CPU speed enough.

It might seem odd that the authors and publishers are narrated, but for the most part, they aren't just flavor text. The author names are mostly shout-outs to the developers -- like in today's video, Hubertus the Bald is Hubert Chardot, the game's writer; Yael is Yaél Barroz, one of the graphic designers. The publishers are sometimes more significant to the plot than the text itself -- the allusion to the Hesperides is a major clue about the mystery of Pregzt, for example.

I do hope the longplayer includes more deaths than just the one, some of them are funny. He should at least the read the forbidden books.

Edit: Also, any plans on doing the other AitD games? 2 is incredibly silly, what with its zombie gangster pirates with Tommy guns.

Qotile Swirl fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 12, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Zain posted:

Actually it's a trend with a lot of old games I've noticed. Games are really short if you know exactly what you're doing. Probably why the Done-Quick (Not sure what that speed runner groups goes by) guys do what they do.

There's two primary communities: Speed Demos Archive which hosts user-submitted world record videos (that can be really outdated in some cases like Zelda games where WRs are made several times a month and nobody bothers submitting them to SDA) and has the most prominent speedrunning-related forums; and SpeedRunsLive which is basically the frontpage for currently streaming speedrunners... oh, and they organize races too I guess.

Awesome Games Done Quick is hosted by SDA and a lot of its runners are SRL-famous people.

As for shortness being the reason people do speedruns, I kinda doubt it. I could find quite a few games both old and modern that have world records several hours long.

edit: Granted, the old games being mainly by Squaresoft.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I will take this chance to link to the SDA's youtube channel.
It holds a mix of footage from straight speedruns, no commentary or other fluff to videos from the charity events that have live commentary, an audience and someone reading off donations. You can find the 40 second glitch run of Harvest Moon or the 7 hour + run of Final Fantasy XII.
Some runs are kind of lackluster in commentary but runs like Amnesia: Dark Descent are pretty amazing, not unlike SwordlessLinks videos, with the runner explaining how glitches work, why X glitch is fast but Y glitch is just showy fun.

The dudes do speedruns partly as a contest and show of skill but also for the same reason folks here do LPs; they want to show off a game they're interested in.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

baldurk posted:

Not particularly funny but there you go. Mostly I post the ones crazy enough to be amusing in the sandcastle, I could always repost them here.

Have you ever considered taking the best of those letters and having other people do dramatic readings of them?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cangelosi posted:

Have you ever considered taking the best of those letters and having other people do dramatic readings of them?

I would do this.

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013
I'm curious to see if any other Goons get the same impression as me to this video. Is it just me or does Markiplier's commentary sound a whole lot like a homeless drunk ranting on a street corner in this vid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIU6V8MvNS8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
More like somebody who's learned how to make their voice sound deeper and more "manly", but only if they speak really loudly. It's obnoxious and off-putting, and not nearly as cool as they think. The rambling comes from the fact that they are playing some sort of lovely content-less horror game, and using live commentary full of wacky "reaction shots". ALso, why would you use scarecam when wearing VR goggles that obscure your face anyway?

Actually it reminds me a lot of slowbeef's BFF Total Biscuits' vocal mannerisms.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Dartigan posted:

I'm curious to see if any other Goons get the same impression as me to this video. Is it just me or does Markiplier's commentary sound a whole lot like a homeless drunk ranting on a street corner in this vid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIU6V8MvNS8

I'm more surprised there's a loving FACE CAM FOR THIS! Like seriously why even do that at this point? It's like doing a face cam while wearing a mask. What's the loving point?

Zain fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 12, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zain posted:

I'm more surprised there's a loving FACE CAM FOR THIS! Like seriously why even do that at this point? It's like doing a face came while wearing a mask. What's the loving point?

For the horror! Can't you see how terrified he is?!

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013
By the end of the vid he actually just starts incoherently moaning and making sounds and jibberish, and I was sitting there looking at his sub count thinking, "Really? Over 900K subs? Is that how you do it?"

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Dartigan posted:

By the end of the vid he actually just starts incoherently moaning and making sounds and jibberish, and I was sitting there looking at his sub count thinking, "Really? Over 900K subs? Is that how you do it?"

If there's one thing modern entertainment has taught me, it's to never underestimate the mass-market appeal of people acting out like annoying dumbasses. Seriously, I can't be surprised by this when things like Honey Boo Boo and Jersey Shore exist.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just makes me sad rear end-hats like that are the ones that'll "Show off" the Oculus Rift. Something like that will be the first exposure people will get. By the end of the video I got motion sick from him cocking his head like a spazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The second lesson is that if people will gladly suffer through low effort poo poo once they'll probably keep coming back.

Look for my celebratory 1000th episode of Happy Wheels tomorrow. It is subtitled "Rape the bitch's fat oval office!" and I'll tell you now, some crrraaazy stuff happens.

Did you enjoy this post? Make sure to like and subscribe. Follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.

• Locked thread