Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Didn't this threaders ct mostly negatively to this shows Huntress? I personally didn't mind it, but does the potential for a birds of prey make up for that?

Maybe it was just the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Huntress started fine as a concept, ie as a dark mirror of Ollie, but then just devolved really quickly into some kind of violently irrational whiny babby. Digg was completely right when he said that if Helena had looked like him, Ollie would have put an arrow in her face already.

Not to bring the thread down any further 'cause, yeah, what a great opener...but the one thing I really disliked was Laurel. When she started babbling about how she's going to bring the vigilante down I really wanted to kick her in the shins or something. She's like "He killed Tommy!" and I'm like, how? Like, literally how?? It makes no sense! And didn't she spend most of last season being the Hood's foremost cheerleader?

See, that's the thing I really want this season to get better at, in its treatment of characters like Laurel and Helena who -- in DC Comics -- are two of the premiere asskicking superheroes right alongside Ollie, but are coming off so unpleasant and unappealing in this show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hopefully however this Black Canary arc pans out will help the characterization of Laurel.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

how? Like, literally how?? It makes no sense! And didn't she spend most of last season being the Hood's foremost cheerleader?

It's sort of like how Gotham always had a crime problem, but the second Batman shows up it has a super-crime problem. It's basically straight text stated in universe that all these crazy people come out of the woodwork and do their crazy rear end poo poo entirely because he exists as a symbol. She feels the same way about the Hood. Sure you had a ton of muggings and assaults before the Hood, but you didn't have guys in loving costumes shooting arrows at each other and setting off earthquake machines. That really only seems to start happening when he enters the picture. And it's unfair to a certain degree because Merlyn was always planning what he was planning and it would have happened either way, but to someone deep in grief it can certainly seem like things escalated into insanity after he showed up. And the copy-cats really wouldn't have existed without him.

So to her, no Hood no wacky super-crime, no earthquake machine, and Tommy doesn't die saving her from the aftereffects.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

Didn't this threaders ct mostly negatively to this shows Huntress? I personally didn't mind it, but does the potential for a birds of prey make up for that?

Maybe it was just the writing.

Most of the not-here reviews I read here were fine with the Huntress episodes. I didn't have a problem with them.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's sort of like how Gotham always had a crime problem, but the second Batman shows up it has a super-crime problem. It's basically straight text stated in universe that all these crazy people come out of the woodwork and do their crazy rear end poo poo entirely because he exists as a symbol. She feels the same way about the Hood. Sure you had a ton of muggings and assaults before the Hood, but you didn't have guys in loving costumes shooting arrows at each other and setting off earthquake machines. That really only seems to start happening when he enters the picture. And it's unfair to a certain degree because Merlyn was always planning what he was planning and it would have happened either way, but to someone deep in grief it can certainly seem like things escalated into insanity after he showed up. And the copy-cats really wouldn't have existed without him.

So to her, no Hood no wacky super-crime, no earthquake machine, and Tommy doesn't die saving her from the aftereffects.

There's a great B:TAS episode where Batman gets put on trial by the Arkham inmates who try to prove that he is actually the catalyst for all the super-crime in Gotham.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Not to bring the thread down any further 'cause, yeah, what a great opener...but the one thing I really disliked was Laurel. When she started babbling about how she's going to bring the vigilante down I really wanted to kick her in the shins or something. She's like "He killed Tommy!" and I'm like, how? Like, literally how?? It makes no sense! And didn't she spend most of last season being the Hood's foremost cheerleader?

She's the same type of lawyer now who works against Batman because of the collateral damage caused when Batman fights one of his rogues. It's not that out there of an attitude to have.

Also, the Hood is the only one left to prosecute (Merlyn is dead, Moyra confessed).

I wonder if Ollie is wear an actual mask instead of eye-goop. I wasn't thrilled with Black Canary's so I hope they do something a bit less molded latex.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That was the same reason Goku wanted to leave the planet in Dragon Ball Z, he thought that since he was so strong things kept showing up wanting to fight him and oh god I'm such a nerd what have I been doing with my life?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

New Leaf posted:

That was the same reason Goku wanted to leave the planet in Dragon Ball Z, he thought that since he was so strong things kept showing up wanting to fight him and oh god I'm such a nerd what have I been doing with my life?

Shrug. You are in a thread about a CW show based on a comic book. We are all Nerds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zoux posted:

There's a great B:TAS episode where Batman gets put on trial by the Arkham inmates who try to prove that he is actually the catalyst for all the super-crime in Gotham.

So basically Laurel's operating with about the same level of rationality as your typical Arkham inmate? :haw:

Actually I got nothing against Laurel. I don't mind some soap in my supershow. And even if she is acting kinda crazy that doesn't reflect poorly on her, anyone would go a little crazy in that situation. Oliver's response wasn't much better.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They put up a 30 second preview of next week on the show's Facebook page. Amell claims it's the best episode of the series so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201947492196536

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Michael Jai White :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hcreight posted:

They put up a 30 second preview of next week on the show's Facebook page. Amell claims it's the best episode of the series so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201947492196536

I wonder if Roy will be injured in that accident. And I don't know maybe lose an arm or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dexo posted:

I wonder if Roy will be injured in that accident. And I don't know maybe lose an arm or something.

If that happens he would have to stay away from cats.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I wonder if Ollie is wear an actual mask instead of eye-goop. I wasn't thrilled with Black Canary's so I hope they do something a bit less molded latex.

Maybe with the move to being a hero instead of a vigilante. As a vigilante he never had to worry about it since he was never planning on appearing in a well lit area to begin with so he was basically just putting camouflage on his face.

Of course the bigger problem is that famous billionaire Oliver Queen can't just wear a domino mask in public and not expect anyone to recognize him. That's pretty much the only good scene in Green Lantern, where Hal is talking to Carol while he's in costume and he tries to pretend to be someone else and she says how she could instantly tell it was him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe with the move to being a hero instead of a vigilante. As a vigilante he never had to worry about it since he was never planning on appearing in a well lit area to begin with so he was basically just putting camouflage on his face.

Of course the bigger problem is that famous billionaire Oliver Queen can't just wear a domino mask in public and not expect anyone to recognize him. That's pretty much the only good scene in Green Lantern, where Hal is talking to Carol while he's in costume and he tries to pretend to be someone else and she says how she could instantly tell it was him.

Maybe he should grow some facial hair!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What looks cool on the page doesn't necessarily translate to the screen.

Also domino masks are dumb as hell!

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

zoux posted:

What looks cool on the page doesn't necessarily translate to the screen.

Also domino masks are dumb as hell!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The mask they used in The Cape was the best damned thing they could use for something like this. That mask was a thing of beauty, probably allowed a really good field of view, and didn't constrict nasal breathing at all. Dye that som'bitch green and slap it on Ollie.

...and the goatee.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

The opening scene in episode one is as close as you are going to get. This is the CW you know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They better not cover up Steven Amell's beautiful face with some grody beard :mad:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why would you hide that face behind a beard? :confused:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Good looking dudes can still be good looking with a beard? :confused:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Error 404 posted:

Obviously we were talking about Felicity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Actually there were a few stories that reversed the beard thing, basically when he goes out he puts on a fake beard and crazy mustache with the mask on and hood he doesn't look like Oliver Queen. This would be the way they should do it on the show.

I want the loving mustache and goatee goddamn it and I want it to be blonde. gently caress the haters .

I'm honestly thinking of starting a fan petition to get him to grow one at least for pictures. i have way to much time on my hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Canary's hair color and whether she uses a wig or not has gone through a ton of iterations too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the original always wore a wig. Black Canary is super important to the Green Arrow mythos so they really don't need to gently caress it up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollis posted:

I think the original always wore a wig. Black Canary is super important to the Green Arrow mythos so they really don't need to gently caress it up.

She did, yeah. She had dark hair, and wore a blonde wig.

Sometimes its been blonde hair, and wearing a dark wig when not in costume.

Not really a retcon either way though, since she can just dye her hair and buy a new wig whenever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Error 404 posted:

Some good looking dudes look even better with a beard. Chris Hemsworth, for example.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Phylodox posted:

Some good looking dudes look even better with a beard. Chris Hemsworth, for example.

Exactly, there's no call for beard hate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Maybe Felicity runs out of dye?

Actually, I'd be fine with it if, for that one episode alone, she shows up with red hair. Ollie and Dig look at her quizzically as she enters the Arrowcave, and nothing else is ever said about it, nor when she's back to blonde the next week.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I was more entertained within the first 30min of this episode 1 than all 3 episodes of SHIELD combined. Finally Manu Bennett is back on TV :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I wonder how long until Roy joins up with Ollie.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This was my first time watching the show (starting with a season 2 premiere, in THIS day and age???) and I thought it was pretty fun. A lot of the stuff I had previously heard about the show had me avoiding it in it's first season.
The character feels often a bit too Batman-lite, but given the genealogy it's to be expected.
I am LOVING the stuff about Oliver not wanting to be a killer and standing for something greater.
It goes right on the DVR!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Yannick_B posted:

This was my first time watching the show (starting with a season 2 premiere, in THIS day and age???) and I thought it was pretty fun. A lot of the stuff I had previously heard about the show had me avoiding it in it's first season.
The character feels often a bit too Batman-lite, but given the genealogy it's to be expected.
I am LOVING the stuff about Oliver not wanting to be a killer and standing for something greater.
It goes right on the DVR!

If you missed Season 1, you REALLY need to go back and watch it. It is absolutely fantastic.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wolvorine posted:

They only fell 1 floor, at least when John McClane did it, he fell the length of a firehose before he broke through the window.

Tsk, John McClane had to bounce off the glass and shoot it multiple times first.
Get you action classic facts straight, son.

wargames posted:

And uses less make-up then season one. I mean she is a pretty lady don't hide it under pounds of make-up.

And please put her hair back up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Complaints about Felicity's appearance

She looks wonderful, this is not a real problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

If you missed Season 1, you REALLY need to go back and watch it. It is absolutely fantastic.

Yeah it just went up on Netflix streaming.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mcbexx posted:

Tsk, John McClane had to bounce off the glass and shoot it multiple times first.
Get you action classic facts straight, son.

Nakatomi Plaza was just built to superior Japanese standards

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I FINALLY got around to watching the season premiere and it's still great. :allears:
I have to admit I was a little concerned that with a new season it would have lost some of its luster, but nope.

I'm not that big a fan of Laurel as she is now, but she's not bad or anything as a character, so I just hope the character arc develops her a little more realistically over the rest of the season.

I think the writers missed a big opportunity during Arrow's rope exit, though. He, clearly, should have fired a smoke arrow into the ground at his feet before firing the rope arrow to make his egress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I was more entertained within the first 30min of this episode 1 than all 3 episodes of SHIELD combined. Finally Manu Bennett is back on TV :allears:

Maybe they could just move over the entire cast of Spartacus to Arrow?

• Locked thread