Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

5er posted:

D2 reincarnation question- does it carry over the evility of the original unit if I reincarnate off tfrom the original class?

No, it does not.

Schubalts posted:

Are you guys able to view the full Disgaea D2 eGuide from PrimaGames? I signed up for their site for the free eGuide, and it's just giving me some trial version that's only got one paragraph blurbs instead of the actual guide's content.

Let me get back to you on that. I just emailed the site manager to see how long the deal's supposed to be going on for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I should say that I signed up on the 7th.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Are you guys able to view the full Disgaea D2 eGuide from PrimaGames? I signed up for their site for the free eGuide, and it's just giving me some trial version that's only got one paragraph blurbs instead of the actual guide's content.

You should have a link somewhere on the guide main page to subscribe to their newsletter. It'll unlock afterwards.

Trying to grind up to level 7 spear mastery to get the heavy knight. Not sure if it's faster to abuse 2-6 or item world.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

You should have a link somewhere on the guide main page to subscribe to their newsletter. It'll unlock afterwards.

I was automatically subscribed to the newsletter after I confirmed my email. Got a "Welcome to the newsletter" email and everything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Trying to grind up to level 7 spear mastery to get the heavy knight. Not sure if it's faster to abuse 2-6 or item world.

I use I think 1-5 (the last map in world 1 to not have poison, might be 1-4 or 1-6). As far as I can tell, weapon level only cares about the number of times you attack, not enemy strength. It took me fewer than ten reps to get from rank 4 spears to rank 7.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Prism posted:

Paraphrased from the strategy guide for you: Get some boots and make your high-RES guys jump higher. There are some extra purple +Jump geo symbols that can be moved to make it possible to move anyone up there, but the first cliff requires 25 Jump (before the bonus) to ascend at the beginning of the stage. You'll want to preemptively kill the Star Mages as you ascend, but the hard part will be the Humbabas with riders at the end since they have Great Wall.

This seems like a really over complicated strategy when it's impossible not to have Lanza at that point in the story and you can just cast jump jump jump on whoever you feel like sending up.

No big shock, I solo'd that one with laharl buffed with jump jump jump and a defense/res buffed heavy knight at the start of the level. Only the first jump needs the jump buff. After that the geo blocks can allow pretty much anyone to make it up. Have laharl periodically run back towards the beginning, get a brave heart buff, then cancel his movement if you aren't one shotting everything.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I preferred to send multiple characters up the cliff at once and blow up the Star Mages all at once, rather than either having one guy get one shot off before he gets blown to chunks by multiple Star spells or having to spend a couple of hours leveling Lanza's Staff Mastery and/or her Jump Jump Jump spell.

For my money, Wandering Death is the toughest stage in the main game. It took me quite a while to get through that level before I found out what Tower Throw did.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The eGuide is in my list and loading the full guide, now. I resubscribed to the newsletter an hour ago, just in case, and maybe that did it?

Now to find the time to sit down and play for 12 hours straight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Glad to hear it. The deal's expired, so no more free eGuides are available, but I was going to see who I needed to talk to about technical support. If it's fixed, then good deal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man losing to the final boss auto restarts you at chapter 1.

I don't think I need to spoiler it but make sure you have save after every map in the final chapter like I did otherwise you're going to have a bad time. It kind of underlines what I said earlier though. Disgaea final bosses have always been rough first time through, but when he's 3-shotting level 140+ characters and 1-shotting level 110 mages even after being debuffed somethings wrong.

Grinding armor in the item world now, does anyone know if the Puppy Paw Stick is in here? Not sure what the method for duplicating staticians and the like is for this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think I need to spoiler it but make sure you have save after every map in the final chapter like I did otherwise you're going to have a bad time. It kind of underlines what I said earlier though. Disgaea final bosses have always been rough first time through, but when he's 3-shotting level 140+ characters and 1-shotting level 110 mages even after being debuffed somethings wrong.

Grinding armor in the item world now, does anyone know if the Puppy Paw Stick is in here? Not sure what the method for duplicating staticians and the like is for this game.

A quick google shows no known item duplication method.

Apparently some changes to the Land of Carnage mean that you can max out stats without wearing any equipment at all, but no duping means the middle of the postgame will be a pain.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wanderer posted:

No, it does not.

God dammit. I was hoping I could get the 10% SP regen per tic back onto a ghost. I don't care for the loli housemaid pigeontoed bullshit look of the witches.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Anyone know if Guided Fate Paradox is supposed to be any good? I really enjoyed ZHP, but it looks like they turned up the creepy anime factor to 11 in this game, to the point where it's almost hard to justify a purchase.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nothing's "wrong." Look at his Evility.

It's kind of genius, in its way. The approach to bosses throughout the rest of the game has been to surround him and combo him to death. The last boss in story mode is designed to get much more powerful if you do that.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Most of the "joke" items can be found as rewards for clearing floors in the Item World. However, Statisticians are simply found as random innocents on gear now and do not require any special method to find or unlock.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wanderer posted:

Nothing's "wrong." Look at his Evility.

It's kind of genius, in its way. The approach to bosses throughout the rest of the game has been to surround him and combo him to death. The last boss in story mode is designed to get much more powerful if you do that.

Most of the "joke" items can be found as rewards for clearing floors in the Item World. However, Statisticians are simply found as random innocents on gear now and do not require any special method to find or unlock.

I guess I was misreading his evilty. I thought it said only enemies were boosting his power. Struck him down though after unlocking Laharl's 4th ability though, it was satisfying throwing special effects at each other like that.

Overall not sure how I feel on this game. I liked the plot of it a lot more then I thought I would, even if the first few chapters just feel like pointless filler.

It seems like every step the game took in a great direction I would notice things cut that irked me. No more character world being the big one as it seems half the monsters have a movement range of 3 and I enjoyed going through and tweaking things about characters I enjoyed. I really dislike the reused assets, it's Disgaea so I somewhat expected it but all the post game characters special moves being completely unchanged really bothers me. The games poison fetish also got old really fast, it seems like the answer to making monsters useful was to make them posion/deprave everything that so much as glances at them. Generic units no longer having special attacks... only a single evilty per unit (that's usually broken/annoying anyway) just

Mixed feelings I guess.

I dunno, I liked it and would suggest it to fans but I think Disgaea 3, awful plot aside is still the best "game" of the series.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Read his evility. Stay as far as gently caress away from him and don't try to attack him with multiple characters at once. That fight is pretty nuts though for sure

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NJ Deac posted:

Anyone know if Guided Fate Paradox is supposed to be any good? I really enjoyed ZHP, but it looks like they turned up the creepy anime factor to 11 in this game, to the point where it's almost hard to justify a purchase.

I don't think anyone's going to know until it comes out. I doubt any goons have imported it.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
From what I understand of it, the story of Guided Fate Paradox is pretty standard NIS stuff. It's Disgaea, but with angels. If that sentence sounded cool to you, you'll like it, assuming it gets a good translation (which is dubious since they seem like they are rushing lately).

The gameplay is basically ZHP, but with two PCs at a time.

I mean, I know -I'll- get the English release, because c'mon man, it's -Disgaea-, but with ANGELS~!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Have you watched the trailers? It looks... not good.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Just finished the story mode and I have to say that it was kind of mediocre. I thought the plots of 1, 2, and 4 were better. The system improvements are pretty huge though and the gameplay is better in this one than most. Removing the online aspect with the courts and item world seems dumb in my opinion.

Of course most of the game is in the post game but overall it feels more like a big expansion than a real new game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Official word for those of you who've bought the guide:

"The Prinnies at NIS America sincerely apologize that the Raspberyl DLC is not yet live on PSN. The code you received is still valid and Sony has confirmed that the DLC will be activated and redeemable by no later than Wednesday, October 16th. Thank you for your patience while we get Raspberyl ready for her debut in Disgaea D2!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Good Citizen posted:

Of course most of the game is in the post game but overall it feels more like a big expansion than a real new game.

I thought it kinda was? Like a sorta thing to tide people over until Disgaea 5?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought it kinda was? Like a sorta thing to tide people over until Disgaea 5?

I might be making it up but I recall a interview around Japanese release where the head director got mad at people calling it a filler game and kept assuring that "this is just as much a sequel as 5 will be."

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

Have you watched the trailers? It looks... not good.

I thought the gameplay bits looked pretty good. From the trailers the actual story looks a bit to heavy for a nis game. Either way I'm getting it since Z.H.P was one of the best non-port games on the psp imo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's no 'ultimate' humanoid class in D2 is there? It won't break or diminish the experience for me really, but it is one less goal I'm accustomed to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

There's no 'ultimate' humanoid class in D2 is there? It won't break or diminish the experience for me really, but it is one less goal I'm accustomed to.

Nope. There isn't a maijin/android style class this time around. The angels are the closest thing to an endgame class.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Amazon cancelled my order for the game and guide for no apparent reason. No explanation was offered, but they will expedite shipping. So much for the pre-order.

Next time I will order from NIS, the only reason I didn't is because they were out of guides or something, (and wouldn't let me pre-order it at the same time like amazon.)

That game could really help me quit smoking.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Holy cow. The Tyrant Overload War level is a really great way to farm hospital rewards. :v:

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
Well, I was able to get through the first 4 chapters of D2 just fine, but now I can't get through the first enemy turn of 5-1 without it locking up the system. I guess I'll have to wait for them to push out a bug fix. I just want to make numbers get bigger. :negative:

Other than that, I really like the game so far. I've been using monster units more than ever now that the mount ability directly makes up for their inability to lift and throw. It's great for extending the reach or durability of low mobility or squishy characters.

I also like the plot elements so far. I'm not very attached to any of the characters in the series, but I felt like they've been getting diminishing returns from the characters they've introduced as the series has gone on. Bringing back some of the first characters and mechanics in the series makes for a nice 10th anniversary celebration.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kimpira posted:

Well, I was able to get through the first 4 chapters of D2 just fine, but now I can't get through the first enemy turn of 5-1 without it locking up the system. I guess I'll have to wait for them to push out a bug fix. I just want to make numbers get bigger. :negative:

Other than that, I really like the game so far. I've been using monster units more than ever now that the mount ability directly makes up for their inability to lift and throw. It's great for extending the reach or durability of low mobility or squishy characters.

I also like the plot elements so far. I'm not very attached to any of the characters in the series, but I felt like they've been getting diminishing returns from the characters they've introduced as the series has gone on. Bringing back some of the first characters and mechanics in the series makes for a nice 10th anniversary celebration.

Someone mentioned the crash is from special attack animations - is that what is causing it? You can turn them off in the settings.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I've had 3 freezes so far and it's triggered on the short version animations you get for element spells with animations off.

Really hoping it's patched soon. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's usually a disaster.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I've had 3 freezes so far and it's triggered on the short version animations you get for element spells with animations off.

Really hoping it's patched soon. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's usually a disaster.

For whatever reason, once it started happening in my game, it happened so quickly that there wasn't any progress for me to lose. I just started it up again and the crashes have gone away so far, but last night they happened both with the animations turned off and in the middle of an enemy's Mega Fire with the animations turned on. Until a patch is out, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and save frequently.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really wasn't expecting it to, but Disgaea D2 not having remote play is such a shame. It's such a good game for it.

Oh well, at least Disgaea 8 will be forced to have it.

Is it at all worth going back to Disgaea 4 after D2? I bought it back when I was on my Disgaea 3 vita kick thinking I'd play it after I was done with that but I never did.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sankis posted:

I really wasn't expecting it to, but Disgaea D2 not having remote play is such a shame. It's such a good game for it.

Oh well, at least Disgaea 8 will be forced to have it.

Is it at all worth going back to Disgaea 4 after D2? I bought it back when I was on my Disgaea 3 vita kick thinking I'd play it after I was done with that but I never did.

As was recommended to me earlier in the thread, I picked up D2 instead of 4 in the hopes that 4 makes its way to the vita with all the dlc included.

I've made it to chapter 3 and keep hearing about a cheat menu but I don't know how to access it. Am I missing an npc somewhere or something?

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Hekk posted:

As was recommended to me earlier in the thread, I picked up D2 instead of 4 in the hopes that 4 makes its way to the vita with all the dlc included.

I've made it to chapter 3 and keep hearing about a cheat menu but I don't know how to access it. Am I missing an npc somewhere or something?

It's outside on the lawn where Flonne was planting flowers in the introductory cutscene. The cheat shop NPC is tucked into a corner by the entrance to that area, so you'll need to rotate the camera a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Yeah, 4 is still a very good game (with a lot funnier writing/characters than D2 overall.) Just be prepared for more complex gameplay systems like in D3.

White~Mage
Jun 19, 2002
Anyone having problems with not getting monster ride skill experience in D2? All my other skills increase, but not the combined attack. I have not disabled it or anything like that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, 4 is still a very good game (with a lot funnier writing/characters than D2 overall.) Just be prepared for more complex gameplay systems like in D3.

About the only thing that's grating to me going from D2 back to 4 is the ability inheritance system.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

For anyone who hasn't realized it yet, the weapon assembly class that unlocks in the post game is amazing. At max level it can increase any aptitude like atk/int/whatever by 5% any time you beat a level and it persists through reincarnation. And yes, even item world stages count. It's nuts.

Also, switching the item world from items to innocents at the cheat shop helps a ton. I've been able to collect statisticians in this game faster than probably any other even with no duping.

Now if I can just unlock CoO through the dark assembly. God drat 12% approval rating.

e: unlocked. That was one very expensive bribe

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm not horribly far in D2 because I've been busy with work and other real life stuff but is there no online features? I thought the pirate thing was really fun to gently caress around with in 4, but at the same time I remember it being kinda broken and silly after the first month anyway. I wont be sad if its not in D2 but if it is when do I unlock it, and is it considered a failure or will it return in 5?

• Locked thread