Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Recommend me a pre-paid visa card? I'm nervous about using my regular card at smaller or foreign websites now after some attempted fraud on mine.

Does such a thing as this exist:

1. Want something that doesn't really cost anything and that I can maintain a zero or near zero balance on

2. Want to be able to load it from a regular cc and those funds be instantly available. If I'm pressing checkout on a website and it tells me my total is $48.33 I want to be able to load $48.33 from regular cc to this right then, then be able to checkout using the pre-paid card.

3. Would like but not completely necessary just some very minimal web view of transactions.

The only name I know is greendot, I looked at their site, they want $6/month in fees and it looks like $5 in fees to add money to it (and you have to drive somewhere to do that.)

edit: looking at some on bankrate.com H&R emerald looks good, I'm still trying to find out if there's a way to load it other than driving to the reverse-atm machines.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SilverSliver posted:

Use shampoos that have no Laureth Sulphate in them and conditioners that have no '-cones'(Silicone and the like, anything with cone in it).
Laureth Sulphate takes all oils out and gives you that squeaky clean feeling. Conditioners with ingredients ending in 'cone' put a layer of coating on your hair follicles that make it greasy again quickly, plus your scalp freaks out to put oils back into your hair. And the only thing that gets that out is Laureth Sulphates....

Take a look at the ingredients of your shampoo and conditioners. All natural hair products are becoming more popular. Google all natural shampoo/conditioner and see which ones are available in your area.

To add onto this, try to look for shampoos that are both "all-natural" and "for damaged hair." Damaged-hair shampoo tends to be really gentle on your hair's natural biz, which means it doesn't do the nasty poo poo regular shampoo does.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Recommend me a pre-paid visa card? I'm nervous about using my regular card at smaller or foreign websites now after some attempted fraud on mine.

Does such a thing as this exist:

1. Want something that doesn't really cost anything and that I can maintain a zero or near zero balance on

2. Want to be able to load it from a regular cc and those funds be instantly available. If I'm pressing checkout on a website and it tells me my total is $48.33 I want to be able to load $48.33 from regular cc to this right then, then be able to checkout using the pre-paid card.

3. Would like but not completely necessary just some very minimal web view of transactions.

The only name I know is greendot, I looked at their site, they want $6/month in fees and it looks like $5 in fees to add money to it (and you have to drive somewhere to do that.)

edit: looking at some on bankrate.com H&R emerald looks good, I'm still trying to find out if there's a way to load it other than driving to the reverse-atm machines.

I think this was brought up recently in this thread, but see if your cc issuer offers a temporary number that you can use for online transactions/phone calls. Their system generates a one time code (aka Virtual CC number), you put in that information along with your usual billing address stuff - done.

Not everyone offers it, but it might be an option.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

CzarChasm posted:

I think this was brought up recently in this thread, but see if your cc issuer offers a temporary number that you can use for online transactions/phone calls. Their system generates a one time code (aka Virtual CC number), you put in that information along with your usual billing address stuff - done.

I keep a second checking account for my international travel. For shady websites (for us goons) a real cc will offer you the best protection from fraud/reimburse fraudulent charges. Pay per use cards generally offer no protection.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

CzarChasm posted:

Couldn't find anything on the Chase website about it. Found an article from 9/2012 some guy wrote about one-time-use #s that he ended with "so far chase, x, x, don't offer this"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

So, brown rice? What's unmicrowaveable rice?

Sorry, left out "precooked, frozen" and "that's ready in 90 seconds".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why does seapunk exist? Am I being trolled?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FogHelmut posted:

Why does seapunk exist? Am I being trolled?

Because people came up with a word for a thing and went with it, and no.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
In Canada you can get the Titianium Visa at a Money Mart. It's a credit card that you load up and use online or wherever. So if you put 50.00 on it, that's all that's on it. I use it, works good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On my work laptop, running Windows 7, I use IE for work stuff and Chrome for personal browsing. I have to sign in to the network for almost any internal web page I visit in Internet Explorer (verifying against the server). For Chrome, I get prompted when I open the program and go off the network.

When I use IE, I have the option for checking the box to remember my password, which lasts until I have to change my password - no prompt after that. For Chrome, the password is saved, but I get the prompt to log in every time I open the program. I just have to click the OK box and I get through.

Is there a custom/generic credential I can create for credential manager that will stop Chrome from prompting me to log on each time? It's not the end of the world, but I'm kind of floored that IE actually is better at something than Chrome.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So, yesterday I had a preliminary phone interview for a job. I forgot to ask for her email address so that I could send a thank you note, and there was no email correspondence between us already - just phone calls. However, using my super internet-sleuthing skills I was able to find her email address. Should I send a thank you email now, or would it just be weird and creepy, given that she never gave me her email address (and it's not something that'd be easily found on a website - I had to dig deep to get it)?

edit: despite the fact it was a hard email address to find, yes, it is an business email address, not a personal one. Now that would definitely be too weird.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 11, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So, yesterday I had a preliminary phone interview for a job. I forgot to ask for her email address so that I could send a thank you note, and there was no email correspondence between us already - just phone calls. However, using my super internet-sleuthing skills I was able to find her email address. Should I send a thank you email now, or would it just be weird and creepy, given that she never gave me her email address (and it's not something that'd be easily found on a website - I had to dig deep to get it)?

edit: despite the fact it was a hard email address to find, yes, it is an business email address, not a personal one. Now that would definitely be too weird.

I'm the dude in my (admittedly small) office that receives and reviews applications and if you were to do this to me I'd probably appreciate it and wouldn't really think it was creepy. It's not like it's impossible to find email addresses, and taking the extra step to deliver a personal thank you can actually go a long ways in showing your interest is sincere.

Or you could always email it wherever you emailed your original application, if that's how you did it. She probably gets those in her inbox.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'd say that's weird. The benefit of showing your interest and keeping your name on her mind is overshadowed by opening a new communication channel with information she didn't give you. Either you're going to feel the need to address it, or it's going to be an elephant in the room. In both cases, it dominates her attention and distracts from the positive aspects of your note.

I recently did a similar thing with an email address given to me by a recruiter, and it still felt weird even with that excuse.

VVVVVV normally I'd say it's always a good idea to differentiate yourself however you can. You don't want to save stuff for "the next phase" because you might not make it. But I would/have feel/felt sketchy using an email address I found on my own.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 11, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, cool. And maybe it's not even necessary for a preliminary phone interview?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ok, cool. And maybe it's not even necessary for a preliminary phone interview?

I definitely would make an attempt to send a thank you email after an interview, even a preliminary phone screen. If you're wary about sending her email to an address she didn't give you, try looking her up on linkedin. If she's full-time HR or recruiting I bet she's got a profile there.

NB--This is pretty much what linkedin is for. Don't try to do this via facebook, that would definitely be kind of creepy and off-putting.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

She's not HR, which is kind of unusual for a screening interview, but a senior tech person in the department (I'd be hired for a related junior tech position in the same department). I think connecting with her on LinkedIn would be even weirder.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think connecting with her on LinkedIn would be even weirder.

You're wrong there... this is literally exactly what LinkedIn is for! That'd be way better than sending her an email too as it eliminates the "I just eStalked you" problem entirely.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

kedo posted:

You're wrong there... this is literally exactly what LinkedIn is for! That'd be way better than sending her an email too as it eliminates the "I just eStalked you" problem entirely.

I dunno - after googling the same question, the internet appears to disagree with you. This is a pickle all right - sure wish I had remembered to ask for her email.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I could have sworn you could send people messages on LinkedIn without being connected (or as part of a request to connect), but it looks like you can only do that if you pay for the premium service. That does kind of change the calculus. If it was me though, I'd just go ahead and write the email and hope for the best.

Mesonychoteuthis
Apr 10, 2008
A long time ago there was an LP about a hex-based World War II computer game, with the author writing stories about the individual unit actions and such. I was wondering if anyone knew what that game was? All I really remember was that it was really old, wasn't being updated, and you could play as basically any nation at the time.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Is there a decent online source for finding local therapist? I mean, I've found a few from recommendations but I can't see them for various reasons.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My car was broken into while I was at the store last night. Not much was stolen, but they forced the lock on my driver's side door to get in. What's a ballpark figure for how much that would cost to replace? The lock is still able to keep the door from being opened when locked, but am I correct in assuming that it's not very secure anymore? It's a 2006 F-150 with keyless entry if that matters.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Is there a decent online source for finding local therapist? I mean, I've found a few from recommendations but I can't see them for various reasons.

Check the OP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336292

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php was the site my shrink recommended to me to check out the local docs. Most therapists have some sort of blurb about their area of specialization up there.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 12, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
How much clothing can you make with 10 square yards of cloth?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I hear real estate in Tokyo is so expensive that apartments are generally very small. Some are like closets.

These are the measurements of my studio apartment: the main living area is 3.5m by 7.6m, the kitchen is 2m by 2.50m, the bathroom is 2m by 3m. How much rent would such an apartment command in Tokyo.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Project1 posted:

How much clothing can you make with 10 square yards of cloth?

Dresses, shirts, socks?

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Dresses, shirts, socks?

Anything, really, but let's say pairs of shirts and long pants.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Project1 posted:

Anything, really, but let's say pairs of shirts and long pants.

http://bit.ly/1eggEl4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If cold/flu symptoms are the result of your body trying to expel or fight the infection, does taking symptom-suppressing medication reduce your body's ability to do that?

If I had a cold and refused meds I would feel absolutely miserable, but would I get over the cold sooner?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Mak0rz posted:

If cold/flu symptoms are the result of your body trying to expel or fight the infection, does taking symptom-suppressing medication reduce your body's ability to do that?

If I had a cold and refused meds I would feel absolutely miserable, but would I get over the cold sooner?

No, not really. The idea behind most of the treatments is to make you comfortable enough that you can rest/ sleep, which allows your body more resources to devote towards the immune system.

Some drugs, like decongestants, can actually prevent you from getting sicker, as excessive infected mucous buildup in the sinuses can cause nastier sinus infections.

Some anti inflammatory drugs (aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc ) can lessen immune cell trafficking, but a) in the midst of a full blown immune response, otc doses are going to have a negligible effect on total immune cell trafficking and b) any potential slight decrease is going to be outweighed by the benefits of you being able to sleep.

Really the most critical factors in overcoming something is sleeping and staying hydrated and anything that helps with either is a net positive.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's a way more involved and interesting response than I was expecting. Thanks!

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Kurzon posted:

I hear real estate in Tokyo is so expensive that apartments are generally very small. Some are like closets.

These are the measurements of my studio apartment: the main living area is 3.5m by 7.6m, the kitchen is 2m by 2.50m, the bathroom is 2m by 3m. How much rent would such an apartment command in Tokyo.

This depends entirely on where it is in Tokyo and how close the apartment is to a train station. Location, location, location.

For reference, my friend's apartment was about 60% of your size and he lived 10 minutes walk from Nakano-Sakue station, which is itself a very short ride in to the busiest station in the world (Shinjuku). It was 1 or 2 stops to Shinjuku, if I recall correctly. This isn't the most luxurious locale in the city, but it was relatively desirable, I imagine, from a commuting standpoint. Short rides = far higher prices.

He paid about $1,150 USD a month in 2010.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
was i hosed from the start

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

On my Windows 7 computer (HP) my FACTORY_IMAGE (D:) partition is completely full. I always assumed this drive was a 'reinstall clean, start from scratch' bootable drive in case of catastrophic failure. Why has it gotten fuller to capacity? Does that reduce my system's speed, and if it's a problem how do I fix it when there's really nothing to delete?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I wanted an online resource for posting an exercise log, maybe counting calories, and getting information and advice about fitness. I made an account at Fitocracy. I was immediately inserted into a bunch of groups, and auto-followed a bunch of idiots who post random poo poo that clutters up my feed. I don't even want a feed. I'd just like a glorified workout spreadsheet and a place for getting exercise info, and instead I got some Facebook wannabe with a cluttered UI. Is there a better site than Fitocracy for grown-ups? Alternately, is there a way to turn off all the bullshit, and focus it on actual health stuff?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Peristalsis posted:

I wanted an online resource for posting an exercise log, maybe counting calories, and getting information and advice about fitness. I made an account at Fitocracy. I was immediately inserted into a bunch of groups, and auto-followed a bunch of idiots who post random poo poo that clutters up my feed. I don't even want a feed. I'd just like a glorified workout spreadsheet and a place for getting exercise info, and instead I got some Facebook wannabe with a cluttered UI. Is there a better site than Fitocracy for grown-ups? Alternately, is there a way to turn off all the bullshit, and focus it on actual health stuff?
Does it have to be a website and not a mobile app? Because Strong is free today and is a great, simple workout app for iOS. http://www.endangeredapps.com/strong.html

I used to use livestrong.com (which also has an app) as it does have exercise logging, but I switched away from it a long time ago so it may or may not still be decent.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

randyest posted:

Does it have to be a website and not a mobile app? Because Strong is free today and is a great, simple workout app for iOS. http://www.endangeredapps.com/strong.html

I used to use livestrong.com (which also has an app) as it does have exercise logging, but I switched away from it a long time ago so it may or may not still be decent.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I do need a website, since I don't have a smart phone, and I don't take my tablet (which runs Android) out of the house very often. I'll check out livestrong.com, though. I'm certainly open to other suggestions and anecdotes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
How do TV shows get edited and filmed to always cut on a dramatic note before a commercial break? How does that even work while filming lines etc?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

PaganGoatPants posted:

How do TV shows get edited and filmed to always cut on a dramatic note before a commercial break? How does that even work while filming lines etc?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The commercial breaks are planned and written into the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PaganGoatPants posted:

You know the commercials aren't just thrown in at random points, right? They plan it out, leaving specific places for commercial breaks to go.