Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

I've been toying with a Dimir Aggro idea that runs Wight of Precinct Six, Tome Scour, Breaking and Nighthowler. (also the Hidden Strings / Agent of Fate bullshit)

Is this a terrible idea y/n?

I'm not a fan of playing mill cards just to pump your 'goyfs. Your matchup against Mono-G might be okay since they have huge creature density but your cards end up being really underwhelming against control. Playing Mill to fuel aggro seems kind of awkward. Also you can end up feeding scoozes which is awkward.

The hidden strings / agent of fate stuff can be neat if midrange is dominant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Zoness posted:

I'm not a fan of playing mill cards just to pump your 'goyfs. Your matchup against Mono-G might be okay since they have huge creature density but your cards end up being really underwhelming against control. Playing Mill to fuel aggro seems kind of awkward. Also you can end up feeding scoozes which is awkward.

The hidden strings / agent of fate stuff can be neat if midrange is dominant though.

There was a deck posted in here earlier, several pages back, that went all in on UB Heroic Hidden String/Agent of Fate shenanigans, with card draw off Triton Fortune Hunter. The problem was his deck was basically either underwhelming Heroic guys, underwhelming on their own enablers, and there basically wasn't any play the deck could make before Turn 3, and certainly not get going until 4-5, and thats with basically a perfect hand.

We might get there eventually, but I don't think we have enough pieces for it to work out yet.

(I spent a lot of time goldfishing it because I really, really wanted it to work out)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Siets posted:

Again, this deck is meant mostly to be a fun deck first and optimized/competitive second. Something to have fun with at FNM, win a few games, and get a few laughs from the on-lookers. That said, I would be curious to hear any other card ideas that I might be missing here.

I'm going for something like this with Ashen Rider and Rescue From the Underworld. My ultimate goal is to Rescue the Rider with someone and then use the Rider to Rescue something else, maybe another Rider. 10 BBBB6, RFG 3+ permanents and get a decent sized creature..

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

Jimmeeee posted:

I guess I was thinking slight mana acceleration (Gray Merchant/Shadowborn on turn 4 in a pinch), but maybe it's not worth it. In any case Nightveil Specter is the only thing that requires a lot of black mana immediately, so Nykthos seems like it would be decent most of the time and occasionally great.

You need 4 devotion to make Nykthos produce "extra" mana. Your highest casting cost is 5. I just think the disadvantages of Nykthos out weigh the positives in your deck. Without any kind of mana dump or big fat black creature, Nykthos is just trying to be way too cute.

Edit: if a player is letting you have more than four devotion on the board, I don't see why you would need a merchant or demon "in a pinch" because you are already way ahead of them on board.

Mugwump fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mugwump posted:

You need 4 devotion to make Nykthos produce "extra" mana. Your highest casting cost is 5. I just think the disadvantages of Nykthos out weigh the positives in your deck. Without any kind of mana dump or big fat black creature, Nykthos is just trying to be way too cute.

Edit: if a player is letting you have more than four devotion on the board, I don't see why you would need a merchant or demon "in a pinch" because you are already way ahead of them on board.

I have a blue devotion deck that I've posted in here and I completely agree with you. No more than 2 Nykthos. The idea behind using Nykthos is if it drops early enough you can potentially dump your entire hand in one turn, but more than 2 is just asking for mana problems. You don't ever want to have more than 1 show up in your opener and your first 5 or 6 draws.

Speaking of my blue deck, I made a funny discovery last night while goldfishing it: Vaporkin is an Elemental creature type, which means Master of Waves makes it bigger. I accidentally made that deck even better than I thought I did! :haw:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tharizdun posted:

I've been toying with a Dimir Aggro idea that runs Wight of Precinct Six, Tome Scour, Breaking and Nighthowler. (also the Hidden Strings / Agent of Fate bullshit)

Is this a terrible idea y/n?

I like Wight of Precinct Six a lot, but I think the better way to pull it off is going to be targeted discard cards like Thoughtseize along with a really heavy removal package. That way you aren't gambling with mill hoping to hit creatures, and are instead sending their played threats straight to the graveyard. Devour Flesh, Essence Scatter, and Far/Away are all really great cards to play right now and all feed the Wight nicely. If you want to have a little mill in there, Balustrade Spy isn't a terrible body (though he's not great for 4-mana), but being a flier he might also help to enable the Hidden Strings shenanigans a bit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Siets posted:

I like Wight of Precinct Six a lot, but I think the better way to pull it off is going to be targeted discard cards like Thoughtseize along with a really heavy removal package. That way you aren't gambling with mill hoping to hit creatures, and are instead sending their played threats straight to the graveyard. Devour Flesh, Essence Scatter, and Far/Away are all really great cards to play right now and all feed the Wight nicely. If you want to have a little mill in there, Balustrade Spy isn't a terrible body (though he's not great for 4-mana), but being a flier he might also help to enable the Hidden Strings shenanigans a bit.

Cloudfin Raptor was gonna be my Hidden Strings buddy :(

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

There was a deck posted in here earlier, several pages back, that went all in on UB Heroic Hidden String/Agent of Fate shenanigans, with card draw off Triton Fortune Hunter. The problem was his deck was basically either underwhelming Heroic guys, underwhelming on their own enablers, and there basically wasn't any play the deck could make before Turn 3, and certainly not get going until 4-5, and thats with basically a perfect hand.

We might get there eventually, but I don't think we have enough pieces for it to work out yet.

(I spent a lot of time goldfishing it because I really, really wanted it to work out)

I still haven't had a chance to actually test this deck even though I came up with the list for it, but you can see my latest thoughts on it here. I think you might be right about there just not being enough pieces for it yet, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I still haven't had a chance to actually test this deck even though I came up with the list for it, but you can see my latest thoughts on it here. I think you might be right about there just not being enough pieces for it yet, though.

I was actually fiddling around with a UW version with Hidden Strings because Ciphering HD onto Fabled Hero lets you untap EVERYONE and trigger them. Even with a minimal field of Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero you get:

Hidden Strings (tap their guys down)
Cipher onto Fabled Hero
Swing with both
2 damage with first strike (untap Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1
6 damage with normal strike (untap PL and FH again)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1

And you end up with a 3/3 Phalanx Leader and a 6/6 Fabled Hero.

Plus, you get Battlwise Hoplite. :D

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Been brewing up some WRB mid-range for fnm.

Still fiddling with the removal ratios and if Read the Bones should be in the deck but this is the preliminary list.

Can't wait to Blood Baron some people though.

Deck: WRB

//Creatures
2 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Desecration Demon
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council

//Planeswalkers
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Removal
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Doom Blade
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Warleader's Helix
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Dreadbore

//Utility
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Rakdos's Return
3 Read the Bones
2 Rakdos Keyrune

//Lands
4 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
1 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Triumph

//Sideboard
1 Pithing Needle
2 Underworld Connections
2 Shock
2 Wear
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games
3 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Still fiddling with the removal ratios and if Read the Bones should be in the deck but this is the preliminary list.

Deck: WRB

It's assholes like you that made Blood Baron double in price while I wasn't looking :argh: Looks like fun though, have you tried running another Whip to work in the Ghost Dad/Whipe fuckery that some people are talking about?

Also, re-quoting my Crosis deck from a few days ago to see if there were any other thoughts on it before I embarrass myself in this free-for-all on Saturday. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the following cards are worth including, and if so where: Recoup, Sculpting Steel, Riptide Replicator, Propaganda, Steam Augury, Shadow of Doubt, Daze. I'm thinking take out a land for Sculpting Steel and switch one counterspell out for Daze right now but who the heck knows.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 11, 2013

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm looking for a bunch of creatures (that aren't too expensive, preferably cheaper than 2 or 3 euros each) for my Grand Arbiter deck. I need them to actually be able to damage my opponents and win and all I've got right now are a few good legends and cheap stuff like Serra Angel, which don't really cut it. I'm thinking Flash and Suspend work best, because I want/need to keep as much of my mana open during my opponents turns so I can actually use my counterspells and stuff.

This is my deck so far as it is now, more or less:
Deck: Motion Denied

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

MrBling posted:

This is almost the exact same list I played tonight, but with a very slightly different removal list (I had an extra Helix and Downfall and no Chained) and with amounts swapped for Rakdos's Return and the Keyrune. I found myself wishing for another Keyrune against Verdict decks, so I'm really considering doing what you did.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Man_alive posted:

I recently stepped back into the game just before this thread started.
When this thread was started, I read the WW ethereal deck, and started tickering with that. Tomorrow night I play in my first FNM since Kamigawa Block. My list looks barely anything like what was posted, but I am confident that I will be able to win at least 2 games tomorrow night with it, otherwise, have my rear end royally handed to me on a plate.

My list is below, please tell me how bad it really is. (Bear in mind I have no idea what the metagame is in the area, so I'm going in pretty blind here)

White Weenie
21 Plains

4 Brave the Elements
4 Battlewise Valor
3 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Pacifism
4 Dauntless Onslaught

4 Favored Hoplite
4 Phalanx Leader
3 Banisher Priest
4 Wingsteed Rider
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Serra Angel

I haven't worked out a sideboard yet, but I'm half expecting to run into Elspeth, and thus need something like Glare of Heresey for those, maybe a couple of celestial flares, smite, and general removal along those lines. I may be able to borrow a couple of these for the night.

At this stage, the Serra Angels, and Wingsteed riders are in there for a set of Fabled Hero which I am hoping arrives tomorrow. If these arrive, I am considering cutting 1 Rider and the 2 Angels and putting three Heros in. Or should I cut the riders, and leave the Angels in?

What are your thoughts and/or suggestions for this list?

The Fabled Heros arrived. Given that I'd forgotten that I'd ordered only 3 of them, I took out the Serra Angels, and one of the Wingstteds and went with the deck as it was. I had no sideboard at all, as I wasn't able to get in early enough to find out who had spares of stuff I could borrow.
Having said that, I managed to pull a 50/50 win/loss ratio, and finish 7/26 after 5 rounds. Everyone busted a booster and we raredrafted for prizes, I managed to pick myself a Prophet of Kruphix for my troubles, so overall, not too bad.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Been testing this deck a great deal for Legacy.

Modern would put the Chalices in the sideboard to replace Perish, mainboard 3 Welding Jars, and swap in Grafdigger's for Tormod's.

8th-snype posted:

Turn 1 Chalice is backbreaking for like 80% pf the decks in the format, mainboard that poo poo.

Is Turn 2 Chalice also good? Or too slow?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Been testing this deck a great deal for Legacy.

Modern would put the Chalices in the sideboard to replace Perish, mainboard 3 Welding Jars, and swap in Grafdigger's for Tormod's.

It can still be good, but say against RUG delve, it isn't as back breaking especially if they are on the play.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Taeke posted:

I'm looking for a bunch of creatures (that aren't too expensive, preferably cheaper than 2 or 3 euros each) for my Grand Arbiter deck. I need them to actually be able to damage my opponents and win and all I've got right now are a few good legends and cheap stuff like Serra Angel, which don't really cut it. I'm thinking Flash and Suspend work best, because I want/need to keep as much of my mana open during my opponents turns so I can actually use my counterspells and stuff.

This is my deck so far as it is now, more or less:
Deck: Motion Denied
I'm not really very good at price limitations, so I apologize if this is all worthless due to budgetary issues.

Lands: Hallowed fountain seems like a good inclusion, it's pretty cheap right now. Tundra goes without saying but is also a million dollars so I can see forgoing it. I don't know what prices look like in Europe though, so the fountain might also be too expensive.

Artifacts: Looks like you mostly want mana rocks and acceleration in here. Play sol ring. Azorius keyrune seems like a decent inclusion and doubles as a small beater. Burnished hart gives you two lands and if you can get some recursion you get more than that. The omnipresent gilded lotus, thran dynamo, and assorted monoliths are also options. If you're looking for a theme of making your opponents really dislike you/making it really hard for them to do things you can look into things like ensnaring bridge, Crawlspace, Portcullis (this in particular is a hilarious pile of shenanigans), or sands of time (this just makes the game weird). Isochron scepter plays well with value instants.

Instants/sorceries: Get a copy of dissolve from the theros and replace cancel with it. Rewind might be worth playing. Play brainstorm. You have a lot of things in here that destroy attacking/blocking creatures. This seems less desirable than just making people unable to attack you. If you have the option to grab a supreme verdict that's also a solid boardwipe. On the expensive end is cryptic command, it's good but also a lot of dollars/euros. Gridlock and turnabout are good for tapping someone down during their turn and they also combo well with sunblast angel.

Enchantments: Nevermore seems really narrow in EDH unless you have a real problem card you know an opponent is playing. Soul tithe is also a little weak, mana in EDH gets out of control really fast so even if you end up playing it on something like Crosis they'll either pay or bin it and have a way to get it back through some sort of graveyard interaction. Returning to what I said above collective restraint, sphere of safety, and propaganda make attacking you miserable. Enchantment based removal is good and makes sphere of safety better. Arrest shuts down dudes pretty well. Kismet is a pretty decent "gently caress you" to all your opponents and I'd be ok playing it here because grand arbiter is already a big enough target that who cares if you make life even worse for everyone? Rhystic study is also really good and you don't have a reason to not play it. Detention sphere is like another o-ring, but has the potential to shut off more than one card, even at it's worst it's still worth running. Since you have cho-manno you could look into pariah to making killing you a little harder. I'm sure there are a lot more enchantments that are worth running.

Creatures: Fountain watch. This just makes everything you do so much harder to deal with. Combo it with spiritual asylum to give virtually everything you own shroud at the cost of not being able to attack. I don't think this is a huge deal for your deck but maybe it is. Still it's a pretty solid "good luck dealing with all my bullshit now." As for larger beaters that win you the game inkwell leviathan is solid. The new shipbreaker kraken is good and has a useful monstrous ability. Archon of the triumvirate and medomai are sizable beaters that have good effects. New prahv guildmage lets you jump your team to get over a lot of chump blockers and detains hard to deal with creatures. Wall of nets and wall of denial could also be good? Wall of glare and any sort of protection granting ability will stop token armies cold. Mother of runes is particularly good for that.

I'm going to list some stuff now that I think is fun to play, but certainly isn't anything you need to consider. Deadeye navigator and any of the "untap some lands" creatures are good. Great whale and palinchron in particular but really anything bigger than cloud of faeries will generate infinite mana (even the faeries will with a land that produces more than one mana). Along with stasis this makes the board awful for everyone and you just win. You are also captain un-fun so I wouldn't do that too often. You can also memnarch everything that everyone else owns or just detain all the creatures ever with a guildmage. Really there are a ton of things to do with all unlimited mana. Palinchron and high tide will also generate infinite mana but is more fragile to counterspells/removal.

You should probably not build stasis prison locks in EDH because people will hate you, but personally I think it's hilarious as long as I do it very infrequently. I think it falls into the same category as infinite combat steps with my dragon tribal deck, fun as long as I don't do it every game.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 16, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

It's still good but not crazy like turn one. I play Maverick so a Chalice for one locks me out of StP, mom, and DRS. That is a pain but not unwinnable, decks like Canadian Thresh would be locked out of 50% of their deck.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 12, 2013

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Hey gang,

This is my first ever deck that I've built from scratch. Most of the games I've played before this was with decks friends built or i loaned and tweaked.
That said, I realize the decks main theme is far from optimal, but this will only be used for super-casual play, so I'm perfectly fine with not winning every time.

Deck: Re-Entry Deck

Some things I'd like to see, but which i don't know how:

- I want to cut it, 68 cards are too much, would love to trim it down to 60-65 or so.
- I don't like the mana curve. In a couple of tests, i noticed i'm really not doing much of anything but build my mana reserves.
- While the main theme is obvious, i feel like I'm trying to do too many things, leaving me unable to do anything if i don't hit the right notes.
- Mana, yeah. Mainly plains but with a whole lot of colour splashes. I would LOVE to be able to use a more consistent mana source than Prophetic Prism, but i don't know how without cutting creatures i think i need.

To re-iterate: First deck, probably a lot of dumb things in there, all feedback appreciated.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So first question for deck building, are you willing to spend money on improving this? (And if so, roughly how much?) If you're not willing to spend money, what sort of card pool do you have access to for other cards?

After that, some basic principles of deckbuilding:

- If you don't have a good reason otherwise, run either 4 or 0 of a card. There are plenty of reasons to break this when you know what you're doing, but while you're just starting out it's an excellent rule of thumb for making sure your deck stays coherent.

- Mana. You really want to narrow things down to one or maybe two colours, to make sure you can always play your cards. Spreading yourself too thin (especially without the expensive manabase to back it up) is a good way to end up stuck with a bunch of cards that you can't actually cast. For your particular deck, you could just cut all but one of your splash colours as well as the prisms, rebalance your lands, and be down at 60 cards.

- A gameplan. When you build a deck, you want to be able to answer the question "How do I win?". There are a whole bunch of viable options - "Play lots of small creatures and kill them before they get their own gameplan going" is a viable option, as are "play bigger creatures to stop my opponent's attacks, and then run over them", "get lots of value through 2-for-1 trades and card draw and win in the late game", as well as "assemble and protect this game-winning combo".

Once you have your gameplan, you're going to want to go through your deck and for each of your cards, ask if that card advances your gameplan, or if it doesn't, if it at least interferes with your opponent's gameplan or stops them from disrupting your own one.

--

If you're only playing with the cards you have and aren't really in a position to trade or buy more of things you need, it's very similar to a Sealed Deck environment. You might find it worthwhile to look through articles on general Sealed strategy (such as this one, which is a little out-of-date, but I'm sure people will be able to recommend others). Obviously, anything focused on a particular Sealed format won't be especially relevant, but the fundamentals of how to look at a limited card pool and put together a solid deck are still going to be very applicable.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

shelper posted:

Hey gang,

This is my first ever deck that I've built from scratch. Most of the games I've played before this was with decks friends built or i loaned and tweaked.
That said, I realize the decks main theme is far from optimal, but this will only be used for super-casual play, so I'm perfectly fine with not winning every time.

Deck: Re-Entry Deck

Some things I'd like to see, but which i don't know how:

- I want to cut it, 68 cards are too much, would love to trim it down to 60-65 or so.
- I don't like the mana curve. In a couple of tests, i noticed i'm really not doing much of anything but build my mana reserves.
- While the main theme is obvious, i feel like I'm trying to do too many things, leaving me unable to do anything if i don't hit the right notes.
- Mana, yeah. Mainly plains but with a whole lot of colour splashes. I would LOVE to be able to use a more consistent mana source than Prophetic Prism, but i don't know how without cutting creatures i think i need.

To re-iterate: First deck, probably a lot of dumb things in there, all feedback appreciated.

Why dont you cut all the non-white cards?

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Hey guys! I'm new to MTG and was planning on buying the Theros Event Deck to play in my LGS' FNM standard events. Could any of you take a look at the deck and give your opinions as to whether it would be possible for me to compete with the deck against battle-hardened decks with plainswalkers and what cards I should try to replace with a limited budget of about 20 Euro a week or so? I would really appreciate any advice!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1329

EDIT: For example I bought a Fat Pack and pulled 2x Daxos - Is this is good card to try to integrate in this deck? Should I think about building a red deck revolving around the best card I got in my Fat Pack - Purpheros God?

Thanks again for any feedback!

Equality fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 12, 2013

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Just so you know, the Theros event deck is very far from being standard legal. This happened to our store, and I'm sure many others on release Friday.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Equality posted:

Hey guys! I'm new to MTG and was planning on buying the Theros Event Deck to play in my LGS' FNM standard events. Could any of you take a look at the deck and give your opinions as to whether it would be possible for me to compete with the deck against battle-hardened decks with plainswalkers and what cards I should try to replace with a limited budget of about 20 Euro a week or so? I would really appreciate any advice!

EDIT: For example I bought a Fat Pack and pulled 2x Daxos - Is this is good card to try to integrate in this deck? Should I think about building a red deck revolving around the best card I got in my Fat Pack - Purpheros God?

In general, you're better off buying the individual cards you need than cracking packs and hoping. If you want to be competitive on a budget, monored is generally the way to go. Here's an example list:

quote:

Mono-Red Aggro
Owen Turtenwald
8th Place at StarCityGames.com Standard Open on 9/29/2013
Standard

Creatures (30)

4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Firefist Striker
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Lands (22)

18 Mountain
4 Mutavault

Spells (8)

4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

Sideboard
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Skullcrack
2 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Act of Treason
3 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption

The only cards that cost more than a few bucks are Boros Reckoner and Mutavault. You can play regular old Mountains in place of Mutavaults until you get them, and come up with a sideboard plan that doesn't involve Reckoners.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007

Crosswell posted:

Just so you know, the Theros event deck is very far from being standard legal. This happened to our store, and I'm sure many others on release Friday.

Strange! I was under the impression that these event decks were built solely for the purpose of being standard competitive. Are there cards in there that have already been cycled out?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Crosswell posted:

You're wrong.

It might not be competitive, but unless they banned something...

Which they didn't.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 12, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Equality posted:

Strange! I was under the impression that these event decks were built solely for the purpose of being standard competitive. Are there cards in there that have already been cycled out?

The event deck you linked is 100% standard legal.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Equality posted:

If you're going to be spending 20 euros a week, do something like Red Deck Wins, or something like maze's end fog. Both decks, especially maze's end fog, are really inexpensive, for the format.
Also, white weenie ethereal is really accessible, with only 10 out of the 75 being over 50 cents right now.

http://deckbox.org/sets/490248

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 12, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

kizudarake posted:

You're wrong.

It might not be competitive, but unless they banned something...

Which they didn't.

Even if they banned something in an event deck it would probably be still legal for play. Stoneforge Mystic was banned in standard but the event deck was still considered standard legal as long as the deck was unaltered.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

kizudarake posted:

If you're going to be spending 20 euros a week, do something like Red Deck Wins, or something like maze's end fog. Both decks, especially maze's end fog, are really inexpensive, for the format.
Also, white weenie ethereal is really accessible, with only 10 out of the 75 being over 50 cents right now.

http://deckbox.org/sets/490248

Looking at that weenie list, I feel like you could go even more budget by dropping the spears, god, and Ajani and bringing in, say, 2 Path of Bravery and 2 Cavalry Pegasus and swap out Chosen by Heliod with Ordeal of Heliod.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Regarding budget options: what's a good replacement for Voice of Resurgence in G/W? I was planning on substituting Call of the Conclave until I could get my hands on some Voices; will the deck still be playable?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Looking at that weenie list, I feel like you could go even more budget by dropping the spears, god, and Ajani and bringing in, say, 2 Path of Bravery and 2 Cavalry Pegasus and swap out Chosen by Heliod with Ordeal of Heliod.

He did say 20 euros a week. Heliod's 4,50 euros over there.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Goat Chat:

I just cant seem to get this to go off against the faster decks, any suggestions? Also, ideal opening hands? I like seeing frostburn in the beginning for sure.

Main:
3 Magma Jet
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Molten Birth
4 Frostburn Weird
3 Dreadbore
1 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Trading Post
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Shock
1 Rakdos Cluestone

4 Blood Crypt
13 Mountain
1 Mutavault
4 Swamp

sb:
3 Skullcrack
3 Doom Blade
2 Rakdos Cluestone
1 Rakdos Keyrune
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Trading Post

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Regarding budget options: what's a good replacement for Voice of Resurgence in G/W? I was planning on substituting Call of the Conclave until I could get my hands on some Voices; will the deck still be playable?

Nothing :smith:

Voice gives you a way to slow down beatdown considerably while making supreme verdict and countermagic worse for your control opponents.

However, if you want to find another curve filler for WG, there's Fleecemane Lion, Call of the Conclave, Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage, and Selesnya Charm.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

kizudarake posted:

He did say 20 euros a week. Heliod's 4,50 euros over there.

Yeah, I was basically thinking out loud to myself. That's a deck you can put together for like 6 tickets on MTGO and be somewhat competitive.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

always be closing posted:

Goat Chat:

I just cant seem to get this to go off against the faster decks, any suggestions? Also, ideal opening hands? I like seeing frostburn in the beginning for sure.

Main:
3 Magma Jet
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Molten Birth
4 Frostburn Weird
3 Dreadbore
1 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Trading Post
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Shock
1 Rakdos Cluestone

4 Blood Crypt
13 Mountain
1 Mutavault
4 Swamp

sb:
3 Skullcrack
3 Doom Blade
2 Rakdos Cluestone
1 Rakdos Keyrune
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Trading Post

-1 dreadbore
-1 rakdos cluestone
-2 slaughter games mainboad
+1 rakdos keyrune
+2 shock/lightning strike/magma jet/doomblade
+1 trading post

early removal, keyrune, weird should keep you alive. Trading post to make chumpers and/or give you a little health boost to get to midgame. Slaughter games is more or less an anti-control card, don't maindeck it when your meta is agro.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

So I got a red aggro deck running for standard at my local FNM but I was considering putting together something cheap for standard on Magic Online (would I be able to get much play out of that sort of thing? I'm not sure how they run standard online). Anyways, I came up with this UR Cheapo deck and would like some feedback. The sideboard is just cards I'm not sure if I want to play or not right now.

Creature (20)
x4 Nivmagus Elemental
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Nivix Cyclops
x4 Elite Arcanist
x2 Fluxcharger
x2 Melek, Izzet Paragon

Instant (12)
x4 Dynacharge
x2 Cyclonic Rift
x2 Lightning Strike
x4 Turn // Burn

Sorcery (6)
x2 Hidden Strings
x4 Teleportal

Land (22)
x9 Island
x9 Mountain
x4 Steam Vents

Sideboard (15)
x4 Blistercoil Weird
x3 Triton Tactis
x4 Weapon Surge
x4 Epic Experiment

The things I really like are the Teleportal/Dynacharge swings and the Elite Arcanist/Melek/Cipher style infini-casting. I'm just not sure what the fill in the gaps with, either more pump spells or more burn spells/etc. I toyed with the idea of heroic creatures but I think the creatures I have listed now are probably the best to use for this. I'm new back to magic and don't have a ton of experience (especially with these colors) so I'll definitely listen to your feedback.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lonely Bridge posted:

So I got a red aggro deck running for standard at my local FNM but I was considering putting together something cheap for standard on Magic Online (would I be able to get much play out of that sort of thing? I'm not sure how they run standard online). Anyways, I came up with this UR Cheapo deck and would like some feedback. The sideboard is just cards I'm not sure if I want to play or not right now.

There's a very solid, reasonably cheap Izzet Pyromancer/Cyclops archetype, but it doesn't run most of these other cards; the only other creature it has is Spellheart Chimera (maybe Guttersnipe if you're feeling inventive). There's a not-terrible list here to give you some ideas.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I ended up going 4-2 in FNM with this; has anybody else been trying a Black/Blue midrangey deck?
I've thought about replacing underworld connections with one of each Bident of Thassa and a Thassa, God of the Sea. Bident and Thassa would help me break through a stalled board.

fake edit: I lost to Green/Black ramp and a white weenie deck; it was close both times and the G/B player admitted he got a perfect hand both times.

Deck: Mono Ashiok

//Lands
6 Island
10 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Doom Blade
4 Far // Away //
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
4 Thoughtseize
2 Underworld Connections

//Creatures
4 Desecration Demon
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Omenspeaker
4 Thrill-Kill Assassin

//Sideboard
2 Nightveil Specter
2 Doom Blade
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Negate
4 Pharika's Cure
2 Duress

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My buddy made a deck for our first standard event ever today. We're basically looking for alternatives to desecration demon (are there any?) and anything else that's money.

Creatures
2 Returned Phalanx
2 Lifebane Zombie
1 Mogis's Marauder
3 Liliana's Reaver
1 Erebos
4 Gray Merchant
1 Abhorrent Overlord

Spells
4 Pharika's Cure
4 Doom Blade
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
4 Underworld Connections
1 Whip of Erebos

Nykthos, 3 scry-lands just for scry, and a bunch of swamps.

We don't really have the cash for a bunch of mutavaults so to replace the early bodies we're thinking the phalanxes.

• Locked thread