Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing a 13lb brisket. I'll be foiling it after 3 or 4 hours or so.

Is there any reason why I can't cut it in half to make it fit a little better in the grill ?

Also, I'm giving myself about 6 extra hours of cook time just in case. (Finished by noon, dinner around 6). 12 - 14 hours should be OK right ? Popping it onto the heat around midnight tonight.

Last question: is there something I can use as an injector without having an injector or syringes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jonathan posted:

Is there any reason why I can't cut it in half to make it fit a little better in the grill ?

Also, I'm giving myself about 6 extra hours of cook time just in case. (Finished by noon, dinner around 6). 12 - 14 hours should be OK right ? Popping it onto the heat around midnight tonight.

If it is a full packer brisket, cutting it in half is probably not the greatest idea, because you're going to end up with one really fatty half and one really lean half that probably aren't going to cook at the same speed.

If time is an issue, you might check out doing a high heat brisket. You can cook one that size in probably five or six hours without foiling. They come out great.

This is what I usually do.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks! I'll leave it whole. I believe its a full packer brisket. About 14 lbs.

Time is no worry, I'm just more interested in when I should put it in to make sure it will be finished tomorrow some time.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

jonathan posted:

Last question: is there something I can use as an injector without having an injector or syringes ?

You can get an injector at most regular grocery stores you don't have to go to like a specialty bar b q store or something. I'd recommend it, injecting is pretty important when it comes to brisket

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Took some pictures of the progress so far. Let me know if the pictures don't work. I pulled it from the grill at 165*F, foiled and put in the oven. Going to pass out and check on it in the morning.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151890592276550.1073741826.647681549&type=1&l=6f9d899afd

Edit: Also, I didn't trim the fat, but I cut slits into it and rubbed in the rub. The picture with the bark is the fat side.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so I think the meat was ready around 8am this morning. Which means a 9 hour cook time, 6 of those hours foiled. Does that sound right ? I pulled the meat at an indicated 205*F, however my thermometer is kind of cheap and suspect. Regardless, it's the best brisket I have had. I tried a bit after getting out of bed at 10am. (Holy poo poo I cannot sleep when worrying about food.)

I used a probe to test for tenderness, and It basically just fell into the meat after breaking the foil.

Only problem, it was finished way too early. I stuck it in the fridge, and pulled it out an hour ago and put it in the slow cooker with the drippings and some beef broth.

Not as much smoke ring as I would like. Next time I will also inject it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am kinda backed into a corner for the next few years while living in an apartment, and I figured I can use a good electric one for the mean time. I have been looking at the Smoke Hollow 30166EM. Its not an ideal situation, but will this keep me semi happy while I am stuck in my current situation? I am lucky that I can have it outside on a well guarded patio.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Can someone explain to me about the whole injection thing? Ie-why it's necessary, when to do it, what to use, how much to inject and where, etc

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Basically, it keeps your meat more moist, and adds flavor. Brining only penetrates about 2" into the meat and thats only after excessively long periods of time. Injecting gets it all the way in. As always, amazingribs.com has a great article.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_injecting_meat_and_meat_injections.html

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

McSpankWich posted:

Basically, it keeps your meat more moist, and adds flavor. Brining only penetrates about 2" into the meat and thats only after excessively long periods of time. Injecting gets it all the way in. As always, amazingribs.com has a great article.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_injecting_meat_and_meat_injections.html

Great article! Thanks a bunch. More yet another item to add to my to-get list :clint:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I smoked two ducks on thursday (RIP yard ducks) and they came out great. Sadly no pictures as it was late and i was drunk when they came off.

They were each about 1.5lbs and were prepared that morning with a S&P rub. Then I glazed them with a paste of 5 Spice, vinegar, and agave syrup. Smoked over cherry at ~275f for 2-3hours. We finished them over a blazing pile of coals to tighten the skin.

They were just great and I think we may get more ducks next spring now.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm picking up 4 sides of spare ribs from a local butcher tomorrow. I'm going to trim them to St. Louis style and smoke them on my 22.5" WSM. I've got a lot of experience doing chickens and pork shoulder, but not much with ribs. I usually like ribs wet, but want to do these dry or with just a very thin baste because they're going to a tailgate and I want to minimize the mess. Any good recipes/techniques with this in mind?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm picking up 4 sides of spare ribs from a local butcher tomorrow. I'm going to trim them to St. Louis style and smoke them on my 22.5" WSM. I've got a lot of experience doing chickens and pork shoulder, but not much with ribs. I usually like ribs wet, but want to do these dry or with just a very thin baste because they're going to a tailgate and I want to minimize the mess. Any good recipes/techniques with this in mind?

As a man who likes his ribs dry, a rub and smoke is the way for me. Sauce is messy and unless I will be making my own I don't even bother with it as it does nothing for me.

If you want them wet them slop some sauce on them immediately before consumption.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Crazyeyes posted:

As a man who likes his ribs dry, a rub and smoke is the way for me. Sauce is messy and unless I will be making my own I don't even bother with it as it does nothing for me.

If you want them wet them slop some sauce on them immediately before consumption.

I don't like over sauced, but before serving a quick mop then a char on the grill isn't bad.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If you do a no foil -> foil -> no foil method to cook them. Saucing them immediately after you take them out of the foil will "dry" the sauce onto the ribs.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

McSpankWich posted:

If you do a no foil -> foil -> no foil method to cook them. Saucing them immediately after you take them out of the foil will "dry" the sauce onto the ribs.

Do you mean the first or second time they are taken out of the foil?

Smoking some ribs and salmon tomorrow for football festivities. I'm using a pretty standard rib rub but haven't decided on a sauce yet. If anyone has a particular favorite, let me know.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

They are only in the foil once. A lot of people say 3 hours open -> 2 hours foiled -> 1 hour open. I generally find 2-2-1 to work a little better, though.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

McSpankWich posted:

They are only in the foil once. A lot of people say 3 hours open -> 2 hours foiled -> 1 hour open. I generally find 2-2-1 to work a little better, though.

I prefer 4.5-0-0 with sauce added at the last .5.

I don't really get the point of foiling ribs. They aren't like a brisket or shoulder where foiling might cut hours off your cook time, and the most popular method is likely to result in overcooking.

Is there some other benefit that I'm missing, or is it just a personal preference thing?

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

McSpankWich posted:

Oh, duh. Obviously my reading comprehension this morning was low on coffee. Thanks.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

cornface posted:

I prefer 4.5-0-0 with sauce added at the last .5.

I don't really get the point of foiling ribs. They aren't like a brisket or shoulder where foiling might cut hours off your cook time, and the most popular method is likely to result in overcooking.

Is there some other benefit that I'm missing, or is it just a personal preference thing?

"They" say it makes them more tender. It does, but I don't think it's nearly as important as keeping temperature control and not overcooking them.

However, I foiled my beef ribs for the last 90 minutes of cooking last weekend and that made a world of difference. Much, much more tender.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Hey my friend and I were just wondering if you can smoke a chuck roast the same way you would do a brisket or pork shoulder. I can't think of any reason why not, but there doesn't seem to be too much information in it out there. Is there some huge reason why no one does them?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

McSpankWich posted:

Hey my friend and I were just wondering if you can smoke a chuck roast the same way you would do a brisket or pork shoulder. I can't think of any reason why not, but there doesn't seem to be too much information in it out there. Is there some huge reason why no one does them?

Do this. You will not regret it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

cornface posted:

Holy poo poo.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

cornface posted:

By the gods...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That looks incredible.

Edit: It looks better than ChickenCheese

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I know what I'm doing next smoke.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
And thus the BeefCheese was born.

WillOfTheGods
May 30, 2011
I think you mean "Chuck'n'Cheese".

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

WillOfTheGods posted:

you have no idea what you've just unleashed..

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

WillOfTheGods posted:

5'd

Just so perfect

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Has anyone here done a Turkey on the smoker before? I have a large BGE and have done everything on it except a Turkey. Canadian thanksgiving is this weekend so I thought I would give it a go. Seems straightforward enough...anything to watch for, I don't want to mess it up with dinner guests waiting! I am fairly experienced with BBQ/smoking.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I did a turkey last thanksgiving in my weber smokey mountain and it turned out amazing. I followed the recipe to a T and used cherry wood for smoke.

Here's the recipe if you want to try it. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 12, 2013

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

fps_bill posted:

I did a turkey last thanksgiving in my weber smokey mountain and it turned out amazing. I followed the recipe to a T and used cherry wood for smoke.

Here's the recipe if you want to try it. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

I've been doing fried turkey for the family for years now. I like smoking stuff though so I wanted to ask. How is the skin on the smoked turkey? Is it rubbery?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I've been doing fried turkey for the family for years now. I like smoking stuff though so I wanted to ask. How is the skin on the smoked turkey? Is it rubbery?

I am reading that it depends. There are quite a lot of guys who swear by 300-325 just like a conventional oven and don't go out of their way to smoke (i.e. just the lump), I imagine that method produces a pretty decent skin. Straight up low and slow would likely be a lot like chicken, so yeah, tough or chewy skin. I would love to be corrected on that - I've never had particularly good skin on a smoked chicken (but oh my the meat!)

I think one of the key methods to ensuring crispier skin either way is to air dry the bird for about 12 hours uncovered in the fridge. This is apparently the road to crispy skin nirvana.

I believe I am going to try this method http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm Looks like a hell of a gravy too.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 13, 2013

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

The skin was awesome. Between 12 hours in the fridge and a higher heat with no water in the pan makes for an amazing skin.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I just made a turkey on my BGE and it was the best turkey I've ever had. I did it at 325F (grid temp) with the plate setter, legs up and drip tray and a few chunks of cherry wood. It took about 2-2.5 hours. I tried to follow the amazingribs.com recipe and it worked out pretty well.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
2 boneless Boston Butts on the Weber kettle, followed by 3 racks of babybacks and a #10 can of beans. Making a big rear end bowl of slaw with it all .. making it all for a friend for her son's birthday so I won't get to enjoy it beyond a sample but goddamn does it smell nice in my backyard right now.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

EngineerJoe posted:

I just made a turkey on my BGE and it was the best turkey I've ever had. I did it at 325F (grid temp) with the plate setter, legs up and drip tray and a few chunks of cherry wood. It took about 2-2.5 hours. I tried to follow the amazingribs.com recipe and it worked out pretty well.

Mine's just about to go on - will post results. Also trying 325 with the plate setter.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
I picked up the 30" Masterbuilt when it was cheap on Amazon and I'm trying smoking for the first time with a 6lb butt. With all these electronic components and digital thermometers, I'm nervous I'll gently caress it up.

Then I remember that hillbillies have been doing this successfully for generations without any of it, so I'm slightly less worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea I've learned over the course of my smoking career that with the exception of baby back ribs, it's all generally extremely forgiving. Ran 30 degrees over for 15 minutes? No problem. Ran out of half of your rub ingredients and stores are all closed? Still delicious. Especially with pork butts.

At this point I'm pretty sure that you could just toss one on there with no rub, no brining, no injecting, no foiling, and no thermometer, and as long as it cooks for 12 hours or so hours and gets to ~195, it will be loving delicious.