Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Taffer posted:

Jack's sarcasm was actually funny, though

You shut your face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

You are my new favorite poster in this thread. :3:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Feel free to request any other stuff from SG1 or ATL, I like to gif.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Taffer posted:

Jack's sarcasm was actually funny, though

This so much. RDA had such great delivery.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Flanagan seemed more of the Ben Browder type than the RDA type.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Especially in the Tao of Rodney. That episode really sells their friendship as genuine.

I thought The Shrine was much better portraying their friendship.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Shux posted:

This so much. RDA had such great delivery.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

In Episode 4.20 (:420:) there's a badass scene where an alterneate reality Carter is doing guerrilla style drive-bys on Wraith ships. I remember one specific scene where she warps in, blows up an enemy ship, does a loop and destroys another.

Any chance of getting a gif of that?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The SG1 episode with a bunch of alternate reality SG1 teams: Teal'c showing up with a car-battery-powered staff weapon please. :black101:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

The SG1 episode with a bunch of alternate reality SG1 teams: Teal'c showing up with a car-battery-powered staff weapon please. :black101:

...I don't remember this at all. I would love to see that.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In Episode 4.20 (:420:) there's a badass scene where an alterneate reality Carter is doing guerrilla style drive-bys on Wraith ships. I remember one specific scene where she warps in, blows up an enemy ship, does a loop and destroys another.

Any chance of getting a gif of that?

Yes.

WarLocke posted:

Is this what you meant, Teal'c with the death glider staff weapon?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is this what you meant, Teal'c with the death glider staff weapon?

I must have been misremembering that episode, then. That's still a pretty awesome little scene though. "gently caress you, just throw a shoulder strap on that vehicle mounted weapon and I'll hump it."

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

WarLocke posted:

I must have been misremembering that episode, then. That's still a pretty awesome little scene though. "gently caress you, just throw a shoulder strap on that vehicle mounted weapon and I'll hump it."

It's the episode where Teal'c is stuck in the Stargate, because I remember him purposely starting down the crashing Hatak and blasting it out of the sky from the ground.

48 Hours I think,

EDIT:
There's actually a few episodes where Teal'c is carrying the big tripod mounted staff weapon and just carrying it about his waist. My bet is Chris Judge (rightfully) complained.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

No, I think I found the episode I'm thinking of, it's "Ripple Effect" from season 9.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/913.shtml

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

WarLocke posted:

No, I think I found the episode I'm thinking of, it's "Ripple Effect" from season 9.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/913.shtml

Yeah that's the episode I made my gif from, but couldn't find what you described, and don't remember anything like that either.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 13, 2013

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Daniel Jackson has killed hundreds of Jaffa with a gun and he's not even U.S. military.

I could have sworn somewhere in SG-1, one of the alien characters (might have been a Tok'ra or Baal) mentioned that the Tau'ri were fierce because they'd been fighting among themselves on a more or less equal playing field for a solid 2500 years without alien technical intervention. It was one of the things that helped level the playing field when it came to fighting the Jaffa and Goa'uld, which had better tech in many places, but lacked the caliber of enemy to fight that Earthborn humans had, since even wars between system lords were more colorful displays of power than anything else.

Weapons of fear vs. weapons of war and all that.
:spergin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So basically, we won because at our core Humans are jerks.

I'm okay with it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Bonus snarky Daniel.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah that's the episode I made my gif from, but couldn't find what you described, and don't remember anything like that either.

As JetsGuy said, it's 48 Hours. It starts with Teal'c using that big fuckoff weapon to blast Tanith out the sky and the ship he's in crashes into the gate as Teal'c runs through.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

cochise posted:

As JetsGuy said, it's 48 Hours. It starts with Teal'c using that big fuckoff weapon to blast Tanith out the sky and the ship he's in crashes into the gate as Teal'c runs through.

Yeah I'm familiar with the episode, but I don't see what that has to with what WarLocke described:

WarLocke posted:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yeah I'm familiar with the episode, but I don't see what that has to with what WarLocke described:

I don't remember Ripple Effect that well, and it's possible that one of the Teal'cs had the fuckoff tripod mounted staff weapon in that episode.

I'm just saying that the better episodes to get of Teal'c carrying and firing it are earlier on, and I specifically remember it in 48 hours.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Here's a quick screen cap from the first minute of 48 Hours.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

I keep forgetting how much of a incredibly dangerous badass Ronon is. He really can back up any threat he makes on that show.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

vandelay industries posted:

I keep forgetting how much of a incredibly dangerous badass Ronon is. He really can back up any threat he makes on that show.

I just love how he's so chilled out all the time, until a wraith (or wraith-worshipping-traitor-satedan) shows up and he just goes completely berserk.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Warmachine posted:

I could have sworn somewhere in SG-1, one of the alien characters (might have been a Tok'ra or Baal) mentioned that the Tau'ri were fierce because they'd been fighting among themselves on a more or less equal playing field for a solid 2500 years without alien technical intervention. It was one of the things that helped level the playing field when it came to fighting the Jaffa and Goa'uld, which had better tech in many places, but lacked the caliber of enemy to fight that Earthborn humans had, since even wars between system lords were more colorful displays of power than anything else.

Weapons of fear vs. weapons of war and all that.
:spergin:

Throughout the show, I found that Jaffa (and I guess the goa'uld) are really, really lovely at warfare and seem to enjoy running into bullets in open fields and around corners without firing their staff weapons. I guess that touches on your point that once their weapons of fear stop working (whether its physical intimidation or just a big rear end gun on a spaceship), they're hosed because they are seriously incompetent warriors (strategically-wise). The Ta'ri are military geniuses compared to them, which is why they won the war in the end.

I guess they are good at hand-to-hand combat... which is kinda useless in this type of war though.

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 14, 2013

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

I just love how he's so chilled out all the time, until a wraith (or wraith-worshipping-traitor-satedan) shows up and he just goes completely berserk.

He REALLY hates those guys.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

He REALLY hates those guys.

Well to be honest they're really bad guys, so...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Throughout the show, I found that Jaffa (and I guess the goa'uld) are really, really lovely at warfare and seem to enjoy running into bullets in open fields and around corners without firing their staff weapons. I guess that touches on your point that once their weapons of fear stop working (whether its physical intimidation or just a big rear end gun on a spaceship), they're hosed because they are seriously incompetent warriors (strategically-wise). The Ta'ri are military geniuses compared to them, which is why they won the war in the end.

I guess they are good at hand-to-hand combat... which is kinda useless in this type of war though.

The Jaffa have only been fighting other Jaffa for thousands of years. As far as we know they haven't met an opponent anywhere near their level of sophistication (outside of races the Goa'uld won't fight like the Tollan (:laugh:) or Asgard) in hundreds of years. Their tactics probably make sense if they're fighting other people with staff weapons that have low rate of fire and slow projectiles as opposed to high rate of fire and fast projectile rifles.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Those 2 episodes are great.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

WarLocke posted:

Well to be honest they're really bad guys, so...

Yes lol I know that; thought that was a give in.

Boxturret posted:

Those 2 episodes are great.

I was rooting for that doctor big time in both those eps, which were hilarious and awesome. Too bad he never got properly thanked by Carter! I also found that it kinda made SG1 seem like jerks (especially in the 2nd one... but I can see where they were coming from)

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 15, 2013

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Jaffa have only been fighting other Jaffa for thousands of years. As far as we know they haven't met an opponent anywhere near their level of sophistication (outside of races the Goa'uld won't fight like the Tollan (:laugh:) or Asgard) in hundreds of years. Their tactics probably make sense if they're fighting other people with staff weapons that have low rate of fire and slow projectiles as opposed to high rate of fire and fast projectile rifles.

Oh yeah I totally agree with that, though you would think they would adapt to Earth's type of warfare after 10 years of intense battles with them.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I forgot how fairly formidable Satedan weaponry is against the Wraith, in ground warfare it would seem like a fair fight. if you combined that with the resources of the Genii and the few meager ships of those "No Homeworld We only live on Ships" society I think they could have stood a decent chance against the Wraith on all fronts without any help from Earth.

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's exactly it, the most advanced enemy any Jaffa has fought is basically themselves, and they are all raised in societies literally geared only towards worshiping and dying for their respective Gods, no intelligent dissidenting thought, no encouragement to think outside the box, no way to innovate military strategy or technology. All they have is their stagnate Motherships/Gliders.

And when you think about it, that's precisely what the Asgard did too, they relied so much on their technological and Spaceship superiority that they evolved to be a small, soft race that wouldn't stand a chance in hand to hand combat (Unless they use Exosuits, but thats besides the point).

Oh yeah I totally agree with that, though you would think they would adapt to Earth's type of warfare after 10 years of intense battles with them.

That's another thing though, The Goa'uld and Jaffa are so fragmented that only basic knowledge of how to fight Earth is ever passed around. You could probably probably any sophisticated Earth ground warfare weapon against one Goa'uld/Jaffa faction, have it be so effective that it killed anyone who saw what the weapon was, and do the exact same thing to another Goa'uld without having to worry about a Learning curve or Counter measure for years.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The level of melee training they go through is pretty indicative of their different methodology

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Jaffa are also slave warriors with very limited education and no non-job related access to advanced technology. Staff weapons are not just weapons of terror, they are designed to be used intuitively and they basically never run out of ammo. Even if the system lords knew about the superiority of projectile weapons, those require a supply chain that does not exist. The staff weapon's rate of fire and simplicity could simply be the result of economical decisions related to controlling a vast empire of slave with other slaves.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It's funny you're talking about Jaffa weaponry. I was just watching "The Warrior" (5x18) where Carter shows off how much better their P90s are than the staff weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

It's funny you're talking about Jaffa weaponry. I was just watching "The Warrior" (5x18) where Carter shows off how much better their P90s are than the staff weapons.

The Jaffa in that episode immediately bring up that they would be dependent on the Tauri for ammunition, which I liked.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

The Jaffa in that episode immediately bring up that they would be dependent on the Tauri for ammunition, which I liked.

Phht. As if the Jaffa wouldn't learn how to reload. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Phht. As if the Jaffa wouldn't learn how to reload. :v:

Indeed, but it would be no easy task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Indeed, but it would be no easy task.

With the Stargate, I'm sure the Jaffa would have unlimited brass and lead. ;)

EDIT:
BUt yes, given that or a magic staff weapon that will die hundreds of years from now...