Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For fans of Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL, DiabloRL, AliensRL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXzY0AUsU4

It's ChaosForge's first commercial roguelike, and is being billed as "the spiritual successor to Doom, the Roguelike."
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commercial roguelike? Why would I want to-

Alehkhs posted:

Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL, DiabloRL, AliensRL):

"the spiritual successor to Doom, the Roguelike."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alehkhs posted:

For fans of Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL, DiabloRL, AliensRL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXzY0AUsU4

It's ChaosForge's first commercial roguelike, and is being billed as "the spiritual successor to Doom, the Roguelike."

This is an awful trailer.

But he'll get my money either way.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I hate these loving "teasers", like all we give a poo poo about is that your game has a guy in armor.

...I'll buy anything he puts out. DoomRL is a masterpiece.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well, https://jupiterhell.com has a kickstarter link, so I'm pretty sure the game doesn't exist yet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, poo poo. I guess AliensRL will never see another release then =[

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I finally bought Desktop Dungeons and it is as great as I hoped. Everyone go buy it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I have high hope for Jupiter Hell given all their prior works, and also that as far as I know, all the old projects are still getting worked on in the background even as this becomes a thing---though no doubt with a hearty helping hand from Kornel's forum helpers.

Pretty sure the teaser is actually meant as more of a reflective tech demo of sorts, as apparently the overall graphical and sound level is aiming far above the volunteer amateur realm and squarely at relatively lofty, though thankfully not insane, commercial heights.

I guess it all comes down to the when and what on that Kickstarter though and whether they can get that momentum towards whatever goal and not have some other mega projects happen to pop up and absorb the pre-black friday/holiday cash.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's up with DiabloRL? Is there anything that would put it above the rest for a Diablo fan?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 13, 2013

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
DiabloRL is still very much a work in progress, as in Diablo and Hell are not quite there yet, but I reckon it is a good chunky release or so away from being "there", in a quality fashion if the update from earlier this summer is any indication.

The "when" aspect though, well, yeah. I guess another wrinkle to the above is what sort of action, if any, will Kornel's Bounty Board see alongside the Jupiter Hell Kickstarter campaign...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Just play DoomRL as an Angel of Berserk and pretend you're in ye olde medieval times.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nah, if there is justice in this world, BerserkRL will be the next Chaosforge project to see an update---especially since I'm fairly sure an art overhaul apparently happened awhile back and it has been left the longest now that DiabloRL finally saw a release. Then again, I was once sure he'd time the release of it to one of the newly animated Berserk movie premiers, so yeah.

I'm drat curious as to what tech and such has been either cooked up or chosen, or both, for Jupiter Hell. All the other Chaosforge projects were an interesting amalgam of things (FreePascal Valkyrie and whatever in the hell is actually happening with Neko...) that really nobody else ever tried to use outside of the group, which is kind of odd considering they are rather battle-proven at this point especially compared to the rough fate of projects that have wound up derailed in Libtcod country and whatnot.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MrBims posted:

Unlike Valley, it is actually a finished game that doesn't have gigantically glaring issues due to frequent, sweeping revisions. It also doesn't hurt your eyes to look at it. Feel free to pass over it if Valley left too bad a taste in your mouth to touch Arcen games again, but there isn't any correlation aside from sharing developer name.

I like bionic dues so far but it definitely suffers from the bland sameyness that other arcen games have. I respect their commitment to procedural generation in their games but I'll be damned if it doesn't get stale quickly.

Also the music in the full version is goddamn awful.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I wish Arcen would just fix the half dozen games they sell now instead of dropping a new one every three months.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If standard Arcen logic follows through, then the game should be not aggressively mediocre in like 5+ years.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Played a few more rounds of bionic dues. Really the game could be amazing if they changed a few things but as it stands it's not really worth buying. The biggest gameplay improvement would be to let you move your units independently, space hulk style. Instead though they just all sit in the same square.

Also the loot is kind of lackluster for a couple of reasons. First, you can't actually change the weapons on your units, you just equip modules that give the preset weapons more ammo or damage or splash radius. Second the loot modules have really incongruous names, usually the first half is some sci fi technobabble and the second half is diablo style "of $randomadjective" so you end up finding things like Mk. III supercharged auxiliary reactor of generosity which is just weird.

Finally, as I mentioned in my prior post, the music is AWFUL - thankfully you can mute it and leave sound effects on.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Bouchacha posted:

I hate these loving "teasers", like all we give a poo poo about is that your game has a guy in armor.

...I'll buy anything he puts out. DoomRL is a masterpiece.

Yeah, it's great to finally hear about the game he's been hinting towards but I'm not sure that teaser is... I don't know the word. But, if he's aiming to build a community pre-Kickstarter, this is one way to start doing it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

andrew smash posted:

Played a few more rounds of bionic dues. Really the game could be amazing if they changed a few things but as it stands it's not really worth buying. The biggest gameplay improvement would be to let you move your units independently, space hulk style. Instead though they just all sit in the same square.

Also the loot is kind of lackluster for a couple of reasons. First, you can't actually change the weapons on your units, you just equip modules that give the preset weapons more ammo or damage or splash radius. Second the loot modules have really incongruous names, usually the first half is some sci fi technobabble and the second half is diablo style "of $randomadjective" so you end up finding things like Mk. III supercharged auxiliary reactor of generosity which is just weird.

Finally, as I mentioned in my prior post, the music is AWFUL - thankfully you can mute it and leave sound effects on.

I kinda agree with most points, but I disagree on switching out the units. I like the way it plays now, where you control 1 bot but can change any time at the cost of 1 turn. It presents some nice strategic opportunities and limitations.

The loot system is pretty dense: lots of information and choices to make (but only + to stats, no true new abilities besides a couple), but a horrid interface. Arcen devs said fixing this interface was their No. 1 priority for the first patch.

The missions are pretty same-ey, but the enemies are interesting. I think it's def. worth 5 bucks, so pick it up in a sale.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah, it's great to finally hear about the game he's been hinting towards but I'm not sure that teaser is... I don't know the word. But, if he's aiming to build a community pre-Kickstarter, this is one way to start doing it.

It's a bad teaser because it doesn't say anything about the game he's making. It combines a majestic swing of Jupiter and a moon or something, then transitions to a generic space marine model shuffling arthritically toward the camera. It looks bad and communicates no information. It's a bad teaser.

He's got my attention, but only because he already had my attention from DoomRL.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, if he wasn't the person behind DoomRL then no one would give a poo poo about the project. That 'trailer' doesn't really help matters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That trailer is hilarious and totally in keeping with the fact that it's a roguelike based on (a rogueliked based on) an early 90's FPS.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Samopsa posted:

I kinda agree with most points, but I disagree on switching out the units. I like the way it plays now, where you control 1 bot but can change any time at the cost of 1 turn. It presents some nice strategic opportunities and limitations.

I get what you're saying, I just think the tactical depth would be much more interesting if you could maneuver your units separately. You could set some actual ambushes instead of just whistling at the end of a hallway and waiting for something to turn the corner. I know there are sentry guns and stuff but they're just not as good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

andrew smash posted:

I get what you're saying, I just think the tactical depth would be much more interesting if you could maneuver your units separately. You could set some actual ambushes instead of just whistling at the end of a hallway and waiting for something to turn the corner. I know there are sentry guns and stuff but they're just not as good.

I kind of think the game would get a lot longer if you had to maneuver all four units, considering the way roguelikes work. Roguelikes flow quickly by letting you take quick turns.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Panzeh posted:

I kind of think the game would get a lot longer if you had to maneuver all four units, considering the way roguelikes work. Roguelikes flow quickly by letting you take quick turns.

It's only sort of a roguelike so what difference does it make? Plenty of games allow you to control multiple units. I chose to use space hulk as a comparison for a reason, that game had a square grid with facing being important, you got to control a squad and it ruled.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

andrew smash posted:

It's only sort of a roguelike so what difference does it make? Plenty of games allow you to control multiple units. I chose to use space hulk as a comparison for a reason, that game had a square grid with facing being important, you got to control a squad and it ruled.

Space Hulk, the wonderful tactical game about maneuvering down one tile wide hallways in single file.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Panzeh posted:

Space Hulk, the wonderful tactical game about maneuvering down one tile wide hallways in single file.

Yeah man. You showed me.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

andrew smash posted:

Yeah man. You showed me.

Well, he's right?

In Space Hulk, all your guys are there just to be meatshields as you meander down hallways, leapfrogging between just a few possible axes of advance. Changing Bionic Dues from controlling 1 guy at a time to 4 would require changing everything else about the game, since it works using equivalent speeds for movement and attacking for both friends and enemies. It isn't XCOM.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
But! [jumping here on this] My first impression WAS that of XCcom/Lost Vikings, where you control a team. Was very disappointed when I found out otherwise in the demo.
Seriously, people love their tactical combats. It's a harder goal to reach but totally (imo) worth it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MrBims posted:

Changing Bionic Dues from controlling 1 guy at a time to 4 would require changing everything else about the game, since it works using equivalent speeds for movement and attacking for both friends and enemies. It isn't XCOM.

Why? The game already supports multiple friendly units moving in concert (virused units). The inactive exos could be AI controlled with waypoints, overwatch orders, etc. It just seems like a waste to have 4 unique units that amount to not much more than the W key in diablo 2.

Serephina posted:

But! [jumping here on this] My first impression WAS that of XCcom/Lost Vikings, where you control a team. Was very disappointed when I found out otherwise in the demo.
Seriously, people love their tactical combats. It's a harder goal to reach but totally (imo) worth it.

I agree with this, that was my impression too. IIRC it was even compared to xcom in some ad copy. Or maybe just hype, ha.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 15, 2013

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Kornel Kisielewicz did an interview with Indie Stalk about Jupiter Hell, giving a bit more detail to the project.

Indie Stalk posted:

“Jupiter Hell will be both a successor to DoomRL and AliensRL using ideas that I had for both, but with real production values,” Kornel told me after I asked him about his new announcement. “It will be modern but classic — the graphics will be non-cartoon 3D with animated models but it still will be grid based, turn-based and brutally permadeath.”

Indie Stalk posted:

"Around the year 2180 humanity starts to colonize the Galilean moons — which goes well, until all hell breaks loose when they land on Europa. A virus of unknown origin breaks loose making the people go insane, demons appear, seemingly bending human technology to their will, assimilating it."

Indie Stalk posted:

"Bottom line, we have a lone surviving marine, with no place to go back, on the edge of sanity, taking the forces of hell head on to the sounds of heavy metal."

It's actually a pretty decently-sized article, so be sure to check it out.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Oh lordy.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12785-Is-there-anything-happening?p=82993&posted=1#post82993

ADOM y u no progress?

Biskup posted:

1) It takes me an eternity longer to write the god-drat ADOM Lite RPG compared to what I expected. And by now it has reached a state where it is draining my will to live, honestly. It must be done by October as otherwise I am going to run into tax-related funding issues and thus it must ship this year. But it has taken a lot more months than I ever expected. In retrospective it would have been much better to not collect the money for the RPG and waste time and energy writing it.

The second reason is actually more serious :( I fear that sort of thing myself, actually.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The writing has been on the wall for months about the ADOM Lite RPG not at all being the best of ideas(the last thing he nearly had momentum for was creating a P&P dealie on his alternate blog before ADOM II and the campaign suddenly got traction) given all else on his plate, but at least this is where all his team members can shine in their respective areas given that, as far as I know, the lot of them don't also happen to be dealing with tough times on various fronts. So, I guess, the next time Biskup has a chance to generally package together and merge all of their work it should be a good step forward on those fronts.

That second reason though---that's the bane of anybody doing anything that has a soul in their bones. :( That sort of thing seems to strike especially hard at the classical Roguelike scene though, as the creations are very much intertwined with the Creator as opposed to a generally faceless company or loose-knit group with generally interchangeable roles. One of the most uncomfortable demographic trends in the gaming industry at large though that we'll be seeing more and more of as these next few years roll on by given how absolutely young the lot of it is...

Otherwise, there have been those new races and classes---so the original poster's image isn't quite as bleak as just misc fixes. Biskup's near total lack of communication though in the last while, circumstances withstanding, that's got to be declared loudly from the mountaintops to be A Bad Idea for all future crowdfunding folks.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It took me 6 years to get an ADOM 'mod' for the GURPS system up and running. That he wanted to make his own brand new system with this little time to do it was a foolish thing, but I had no idea it was this pressing or time consuming. I thought it was just going to be some sort of D&D add-on or a really small rules-lite fun bonus thing. Hopefully he can get something out and not suffer a tax meltdown and then get back to the roguelike.

I'm not even sure why he assumed people wanted a P&P game.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Quick question, has anyone been able to get this awesome Oryx Tiles to work with the latest Brogue v1.7.3 release? I'm feeling an itch of Brogue lately but don't think I can go back to none tiles.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Black August posted:

It took me 6 years to get an ADOM 'mod' for the GURPS system up and running. That he wanted to make his own brand new system with this little time to do it was a foolish thing, but I had no idea it was this pressing or time consuming. I thought it was just going to be some sort of D&D add-on or a really small rules-lite fun bonus thing. Hopefully he can get something out and not suffer a tax meltdown and then get back to the roguelike.

I'm not even sure why he assumed people wanted a P&P game.

I think in one of the interviews I heard, he mentioned that he had wanted to make one for quite a while. I guess he just ran out of steam on that desire.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Im_Special posted:

Quick question, has anyone been able to get this awesome Oryx Tiles to work with the latest Brogue v1.7.3 release? I'm feeling an itch of Brogue lately but don't think I can go back to none tiles.

I'm not a tiles user so maybe I shouldn't comment, but if I might say so, Brogue has some of the most beautiful ascii of any roguelike.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Im_Special posted:

I tried the tiles, went back to ASCII. They're lovely tiles, but ASCII is easier for me to scan, and Brogue's ASCII is the best I've seen.

More to your desires: You might appeal to Oryx to update his work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Im_Special posted:

If you're really desperate you can always manually alter the font files.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I finally bought Desktop Dungeons and it is as great as I hoped. Everyone go buy it.

It's soooo loving good, I'm at the very-end-post-endgame stuff though now and it's really hard, I barely cleared one Vicious dungeon and it feels like there's no way I can complete it with 2 other classes. I'm thinking about posting a thread, I know people are wary of "beta" stuff but this game is basically feature-complete and has recieved regular weekly updates for almost 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Desktop dungeons is for sale now? The other day I was desperately trying to remember what its name was.