Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

http://www.hoosierhooligans.org/forum/accessories-and-mods-forum/whatthehellis-std-up-to/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sometimes there is cool poo poo going on at Tail of the Dragon...but it's mostly stupid poo poo.

I hope you're using this as an example of cool poo poo, because that's pretty loving cool.

Also pillion racing should totally be a thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

That thing is loving rad. Surprised he went with the stock forks though, I would have expected he would have wanted ones with more travel.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Word. He needs to get the belt covers on there.

Some trail riding would cake that horizontal cylinder with poo poo in no time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I hope you're using this as an example of cool poo poo, because that's pretty loving cool.

Also pillion racing should totally be a thing.

Oh yeah that's an example of cool poo poo. My old roommate and I'm not sure who's riding pillion.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
San Francisco was nice this week.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Bosch has released some videos off their new Motorcycle Stability Control (MSC) that's supposed to allow braking while leaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTGSnlykJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7je0V7lrI

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Bosch has released some videos off their new Motorcycle Stability Control (MSC) that's supposed to allow braking while leaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTGSnlykJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7je0V7lrI

drat, that's impressive.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Having never tried that kind of braking at a serious lean angle, I'm surprised to learn that normal ABSes don't work that well. But yay for Bosch either way. Hope that goes on all BMWs soon now that they're an all-ABS brand now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

infraboy posted:

San Francisco was nice this week.

A polite reminder that photobucket is complete crap and only shows dumb little thumbnails if you don't have an account

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

-Tumblr.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Having never tried that kind of braking at a serious lean angle, I'm surprised to learn that normal ABSes don't work that well. But yay for Bosch either way. Hope that goes on all BMWs soon now that they're an all-ABS brand now.

Yeah, bike ABS is really just about not locking the wheels while braking hard, you still have to brake in a straight line, more or less.

That new Bosch stuff is seriously impressive.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This dude should make a scale model Boss Hoss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGXo5HwIHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGXo5HwIHk

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If it can rev to the moon, he might be able to sell it to FIA.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Man seriously. I was thinking about adding a granite gray S1000RR to my garage to scratch my sport bike itch, but I think maybe I'll wait a couple years to see if BMW can find a way to cram that gizmo in there too. That would be such an awesome machine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

How do you kill an RC8?

Ah-ha! Trick question - it will do so out of it's own volition.

This drivesdrove the oil pump. All the bits fell out the the way while the engine kept on running.

My friend just bought a RC8-R. I shared this picture with him.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am excited

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Linedance posted:

My friend just bought a RC8-R. I shared this picture with him.

Pity that KTM stopped including bottle openers in the tool kits.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

DefaultPeanut posted:

Pity that KTM stopped including bottle openers in the tool kits.

When did this happen? I bought a new one in 2012 and it had the bottle opener.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

When did this happen? I bought a new one in 2012 and it had the bottle opener.

Maybe it's just up here in canuck land :canada:. All the '13s and '14s I have seen are sans bottle opener.
Ikea KTM must this we only drink from cans or twist offs.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

DefaultPeanut posted:

Maybe it's just up here in canuck land :canada:. All the '13s and '14s I have seen are sans bottle opener.
Ikea KTM must this we only drink from cans or twist offs.

My '13 Duke 690R has one in the toolkit as well. We're probably allowed them because Australians are known for their responsible drinking habits.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Took the Tdub out to the woods for a nap today. I managed to yard sale in some soft sand, which I have found the Bridgestone TW203/204's don't like at all.

TW200, full nap kit (sleeping bag strapped to back, Hennessey Hammock in tank bag)

This looks like a good spot.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Gweenz posted:

Took the Tdub out to the woods for a nap today. I managed to yard sale in some soft sand, which I have found the Bridgestone TW203/204's don't like at all.

TW200, full nap kit (sleeping bag strapped to back, Hennessey Hammock in tank bag)

This looks like a good spot.

Do you have a house full of children/wife? I love the idea of going out on a trip for a nap.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Do you have a house full of children/wife? I love the idea of going out on a trip for a nap.

Nah, but I like the peace and quiet over the urban sounds at my house. Sometimes I'll head out there, set up the hammock in a tucked-away spot and then ride around until I feel like taking a rest. Great way to spend 4-5 hours on a Saturday.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is genius right here.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Gweenz posted:

Nah, but I like the peace and quiet over the urban sounds at my house. Sometimes I'll head out there, set up the hammock in a tucked-away spot and then ride around until I feel like taking a rest. Great way to spend 4-5 hours on a Saturday.

You are legitimately my hero.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The happiest dog.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Surprised this hasn't shown up here yet:

:siren:Possibly :nms: depending on the viewer, do not watch with kids:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6AbAsJh0k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KodiakRS posted:

:siren:Possibly :nms: depending on the viewer, do not watch with kids:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6AbAsJh0k

Gta IV is really realistic considering the age of the current gen of consoles

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The description says the thief didn't die. Too bad...

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Dead Pressed posted:

You are legitimately my hero.

If I have turned a handful of people on to the rewarding hobby of motonapping my time on this earth will not be in vain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gweenz posted:

This is a great idea, I'm bringing extra fuel and my hammock next time I go trail riding.

I used to load basic camping gear on the bike Thursday night and leave work early on Fridays then just pick a direction and ride. Find something neat or get tired stop for the night. Saturday either go a bit farther or turn around. Never a destination in mind just a general direction and a goal to avoid interstates. Need to dig around and see if I can find some photos...until then here's a random hammock and a motorcycle.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Day Man posted:

The description says the thief didn't die. Too bad...

I hope you're not serious, he looked to be about 16, also things are not more important than people. He's a poo poo head and deserves to not get away with it, but death?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HNasty posted:

I hope you're not serious, he looked to be about 16, also things are not more important than people. He's a poo poo head and deserves to not get away with it, but death?

No he's paraphrasing the description. It literally says "AND SHOT THE THIEF MORE UNFORTUNATELY ...HE DID NOT DIE ..."

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

KodiakRS posted:

My first thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmA2WYyw-_A&t=11s

My second thought?
They already make Kevlar riding gear. How much more Kevlar do you need before you reach "bullet resistant"?

Third thought.
An armed society is a polite society
-Robert Anson Heinlein

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 14, 2013

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Slavvy posted:

No he's paraphrasing the description. It literally says "AND SHOT THE THIEF MORE UNFORTUNATELY ...HE DID NOT DIE ..."

Yeah, mostly a bad attempt at humor while letting people know they didn't see anyone die.

People are more important than things, but I don't feel all that bad when people die while waving guns around in people's faces. If he was unarmed, it would be different. Getting arrested is justice enough, though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HNasty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_covmW9vY

Feel for your fellow man all you want, but the dude stuck a gun in the guys face to get his bike, someone was going to get shot eventually, might as well have been that guy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Kenny Rogers posted:

My second thought?
They already make Kevlar riding gear. How much more Kevlar do you need before you reach "bullet resistant"?

A lot. A whole lot. Find a shmuck who's had to walk around THE SANDBOX in IBA with plates what bullet resistance entails.

That being said, it depends on the bullet, cartridge and gun. There are cases of <.25 caliber bullets being stopped by heavy winter coats (don't depend on this.) Hollowpoints do worse penetrating heavy clothing than FMJ, but anything of reasonable size is still more than enough to kill you. Practically any rifle cartridge that's not .22LR is going to go through pistol-resistant armor like nothing.

So basically don't get shot, it's never pleasant. Even guys wearing no-poo poo bulletproof vest etc, the force can be incapacitating, break ribs etc.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot. A whole lot. Find a shmuck who's had to walk around THE SANDBOX in IBA with plates what bullet resistance entails.

That being said, it depends on the bullet, cartridge and gun. There are cases of <.25 caliber bullets being stopped by heavy winter coats (don't depend on this.) Hollowpoints do worse penetrating heavy clothing than FMJ, but anything of reasonable size is still more than enough to kill you. Practically any rifle cartridge that's not .22LR is going to go through pistol-resistant armor like nothing.

So basically don't get shot, it's never pleasant. Even guys wearing no-poo poo bulletproof vest etc, the force can be incapacitating, break ribs etc.
My own experience was with 80's-era USMC-issue kevlar vests. Spent a week or so of downtime in radio school picking them apart with a seam ripper, then putting the ripped covers in one crate, and the kevlar pieces in another crate. At 29 Palms. In the summer.

Good times. :smithicide:

My recollection is that, at the time, they were three layers of woven kevlar - about 1/4" when stitched inside the nylon cover.

Seeing more modern stuff on TV, I can only figure that we've either learned a lot more about bullet resistance and can do awesome things with "lightweight" ceramics, or we've decided that troops are actually a whole lot less expendable than they were considered to be in the 1965-1990 era, or both.

Still, I'm never going to ask the rhetorical question, "Where's a cop when you need one." That quota has clearly been filled for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Kenny Rogers posted:

Still, I'm never going to ask the rhetorical question, "Where's a cop when you need one." That quota has clearly been filled for the year.

I had to watch that three times to figure out where that cop came from. God-drat he blindsided the poo poo out of that thief.