Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Also I just realized I should probably move my Deathweed farm and quarantine it too.
Why? Pots can't spread corruption. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't use pots for my garden/farm. Much quicker to grow and much quicker to harvest.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
For anyone with problems harvesting the thousand glowing mushrooms you need for the shroomite armor - you can use actuators to harvest glowing mushrooms. This makes it slightly less tedious!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or just use a dart trap.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Holy crap chlorophyte bullets are powerful. As well as doing shittons of damage they home a lot - enough to go round corners or turn the tactical shotgun into a sniper rifle.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I was just poking around the jungle temple for the first time and I gotta say that the traps are utterly ridiculous, I love them :haw:

I added a row of spike balls to my boss farming station and the only problem now is trying to time Devourers death so that his head isn't a mile below ground since he dies so stupidly fast.

Solar Eclipse tower seems to enjoy balls too. Easy to keep the tunnel below empty. All the traps are connected to trigger plates inside so the tower just shits them around as I move.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

This game is ridiculously addictive.

I sat down to try out a new world to see what 1.2 was all about (holy poo poo that's a lot of content), and next thing I knew it was 2:30am so I somehow blew around 5 hours playing this evening.

Terraria is pretty much the only game I can get away with doing this with, and only because my wife likes to play too. She treats it like the sims and builds a massive base complex the entire time while I explore.

I've got around 70 hours and still haven't even gotten to hardmode.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is there no cooldown on the spiked ball traps? If not then you could run a bird engine and that would be ridiculous

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

True hardmode dungeon is the endgame, right? There's nothing tougher than that / no boss after Golem?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Lone Badger posted:

True hardmode dungeon is the endgame, right? There's nothing tougher than that / no boss after Golem?

The Hardmode Dungeon and Lihzahrd Temple are the two final "endgame" areas so far, yeah. If you've beaten Golem and Paladins, you're at the top tier of killing things.

Ironically, I have no problems with Golem or Plantera, but the Twins still gently caress my day up routinely regardless of build.

loving Spazmatron and his flamethrower mouth, my mediocre screen-size ruins any chance I have of being able to reliably dodge that poo poo.

I haven't tried since I got the Specter Armor + Magnet Sphere, but since that's been nerfed decently hard, I'd assume I'll still have issues.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Golem and Plantera were both easy because it's pretty trivial to avoid them and take almost no damage. I found the old 1.1 bosses the hardest and the Twins the hardest of those. (The Destroyer drops too many hearts to be dangerous, and Skeletron Prime has a weak offense).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't tried since I got the Specter Armor + Magnet Sphere, but since that's been nerfed decently hard, I'd assume I'll still have issues.
Actually, each beam from the sphere seems to be its own "projectile" so the only thing nerfed there is the base defense of Specter Armor.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Is there no cooldown on the spiked ball traps? If not then you could run a bird engine and that would be ridiculous

There is, about 4 seconds between triggers. But considering they persist and bounce around a while, you can easily make an area utterly unsurvivable with them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fewd posted:

There is, about 4 seconds between triggers. But considering they persist and bounce around a while, you can easily make an area utterly unsurvivable with them.
Seems like it'd be better to hook them up to a 1 second timer then, so you don't have to keep moving to trigger the plates.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

Seems like it'd be better to hook them up to a 1 second timer then, so you don't have to keep moving to trigger the plates.

I meant that the traps have a cooldown of about 4 seconds, worded it badly. But good goddamn. I had no idea there were timers. Gonna go make a few now and break the world.

Also I have no idea where Stynger has been my whole life. That weapon is just... perfect. :allears:

e: holy poo poo it works spikes everywhere :neckbeard:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 13, 2013

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

MrGreenShirt posted:

I fuckin' love this new update. Mo' honey, mo' problems!

So is there a good way to make good-looking zoomed out screenshots without stitching together printscreens?

That's really cool.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fewd posted:

I meant that the traps have a cooldown of about 4 seconds, worded it badly. But good goddamn. I had no idea there were timers. Gonna go make a few now and break the world.

Also I have no idea where Stynger has been my whole life. That weapon is just... perfect. :allears:

e: holy poo poo it works spikes everywhere :neckbeard:
Well, I mean that the three second and five second timer would miss cooldowns then, leaving you with less spiky death balls than you could have at maximum efficiency! :black101:

The moral of the story: Always check the guide's crafting help function. :eng101:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

Well, I mean that the three second and five second timer would miss cooldowns then, leaving you with less spiky death balls than you could have at maximum efficiency! :black101:

I'll just use 1 second for any traps. Since it's blinking every second it will be spamming anything as fast as their cooldowns allow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Exactly! :flashfact:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Talking of traps, The flame spewing ones, I've only seen them on videos/pics, is that because they are they hard mode items?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
What you really want is three groups on different 1-second timers, stated 4/3 of a second apart. Then you have constantly spweing death balls. (Technically you could do up to six groups, but it's a lot easier to do three than six)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Talking of traps, The flame spewing ones, I've only seen them on videos/pics, is that because they are they hard mode items?

You can only get them in the Jungle/Lihzahrd Temple, same as the Spike Ball traps and Spear traps.

So technically they are Hard Mode items, yes. Unlike most HM items though, they generate whenever you start a new world. You just can't access them without going through pretty much all of Hard Mode first, since the temple door requires one of three things to get past:
  • The Temple Key dropped by Plantera to open the locked door
  • The Picksaw dropped by Golem to dig around the door
  • Or ingenious use of Teleporters... which are sold by the Steampunker, who only shows up in Hard Mode.

EDIT: You may or may not need the Picksaw to actually gather the traps in question, I'm not sure as I haven't tested with lower-quality pickaxes.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 13, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Me red gud.

Just finished first Solar Eclipse in which I was able to kill anything in. From start to finish with battle potion and not a single broken hero sword. Did get the sickle and three banners with equally bad drop rates though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I love the new banners. I've been filling my bedroom with boss trophies and monster banners. It looks wonderfully eclectic.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: You may or may not need the Picksaw to actually gather the traps in question, I'm not sure as I haven't tested with lower-quality pickaxes.

You can gather traps with lower quality pickaxes (I think the lowest quality that can is adamantine), but it's easier to simply bring wirecutters and disconnect the traps if you're worried about only getting hit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love the new banners. I've been filling my bedroom with boss trophies and monster banners. It looks wonderfully eclectic.

Got maybe 10-15 of them so far. Bunny is still my favorite :3:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I wish he had added more mechanic statues in addition to the banners.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

All these cool bases and creations, and all I can do is lame-rear end :effort: style towers. Now granted, I fill these towers will cool decorations and such. Honestly though I like having access to all my NPCs close together so I don't mind just building apartment complexes. I'm more interested in finding upgrades for my character and slaughtering monsters that get in my way. :black101:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 13, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

You can only get them in the Jungle/Lihzahrd Temple, same as the Spike Ball traps and Spear traps.

So technically they are Hard Mode items, yes. Unlike most HM items though, they generate whenever you start a new world. You just can't access them without going through pretty much all of Hard Mode first, since the temple door requires one of three things to get past:
  • The Temple Key dropped by Plantera to open the locked door
  • The Picksaw dropped by Golem to dig around the door
  • Or ingenious use of Teleporters... which are sold by the Steampunker, who only shows up in Hard Mode.

You can gather them fine, I got some ball traps before hardmode because they spawned outside the door.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I haven't seen them either; they're one of the traps that are generated in the Temple, but it seems they're not always included.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Angry Diplomat posted:

Eclectic is the best design ethos. I always make my bases by just building a sprawling series of rooms as needed that incorporate the natural geography of the location, decorating with whatever comes to hand. It's not always the most efficient to get around or the most eye-pleasing, but it always feels like a place that tells a story.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

This is probably a really stupid question but did the new ores get added to existing worlds or do I have to make a new world and beat the wall of flesh to get chlorophyte?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Thanks, I thought as much as I'm really overdue to go hard and hadn't seen anything other than darts and active blocks for boulders.

Talking of hard mode (again) are there any enemies that can destroy blocks?

I've made a rad water/honey/lava generating system to make obsidian, honey blocks etc, but I've foolishly built it above my housing. Already, I had a wee lava leak which hosed things up a wee bit, so I'm concerned that I may have built it in a really stupid place if mobs can bust out a wall and cause a wave of destruction.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Thanks, I thought as much as I'm really overdue to go hard and hadn't seen anything other than darts and active blocks for boulders.

Talking of hard mode (again) are there any enemies that can destroy blocks?

I've made a rad water/honey/lava generating system to make obsidian, honey blocks etc, but I've foolishly built it above my housing. Already, I had a wee lava leak which hosed things up a wee bit, so I'm concerned that I may have built it in a really stupid place if mobs can bust out a wall and cause a wave of destruction.

With the changes to clowns and corrupters, you're safe. Nothing in the game can destroy or alter blocks.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hummingbirds posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but did the new ores get added to existing worlds or do I have to make a new world and beat the wall of flesh to get chlorophyte?

Chlorophyte actually grows in the jungle, as opposed to just appearing like other ores, so as long as you've beaten the Wall in your world you should find some there.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

Chlorophyte actually grows in the jungle, as opposed to just appearing like other ores, so as long as you've beaten the Wall in your world you should find some there.

Huh. Thanks. Well in that case, does anyone know of any world viewers that have been updated for 1.2?

VVV Thanks!

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 13, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hummingbirds posted:

Huh. Thanks. Well in that case, does anyone know of any world viewers that have been updated for 1.2?

TeEdit 3

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Metal Meltdown posted:

With the changes to clowns and corrupters, you're safe. Nothing in the game can destroy or alter blocks.

Thank god. Now that you mention clowns, I recall seeing an older video with them loving poo poo up, so that must have been what was bothering me.

I've just made 15 abeemitations and I'm off to the jungle to farm the queen as I really want a bee gun. A full bee suit would be rad too.
What has my life become?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I swear, last world I made had like a billion beehives in it. I couldn't go anywhere in the underground jungle without running into a bunch of bees. But in this new world, now that I'm actually trying to find one? No such luck. I have pretty much completely circumnavigated the jungle temple while trying to find some honeycomb, so that'll be an easy trip when I want to go there I guess.

I like this world too. One patch of crimson is completely contained within a snow biome, and the other is stuck between the jungle and the ocean and is as such also contained. Aside from the diagonal that'll get created when I enter hardmode, I couldn't have asked for a more forgiving layout. But no loving bees :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I finally got the Ankh Shield. Only had to grind for the Nazar, Blindfold and Vitamins but it was still a pain. Nazar was probably worst.

• Locked thread