Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Pardalis posted:

I am a blatant dog racist, even within breeds I like, and I am unrepentant. I probably hate your dog and you by extension for totally arbitrary reasons and am not sorry. I blame PI.

I am the worst dog racist. When I'm running with my dog I don't let her stop to say high to small dogs because 1) there's too many of them and we'd never make any sort of decent time and 2) I don't trust their owners' not to be stupid. I think I might be okay with small dogs if it was possible for people to raise them to be something other than little shitlords but that never seems to happen. I have yet to meet a small dog that I didn't want to punt into a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

RazorBunny posted:

We have an acquaintance whose husband beats the poo poo out of their animals when they do something "bad" and it's had a serious negative impact on their personalities. The cats were staying with some friends of ours for a couple of weeks and suddenly they're much nicer, hmm, wonder why? Their chow mix doesn't seem to give a poo poo when they mistreat him, thankfully.

Of course the wife is pregnant. I really hope their concept of how to deal with a child is completely different from how they handle pets :smith:

Statistically, beating animals is a red flag for child and spousal abuse. Keep the number for CPS handy.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I was cleaning out my Hedgehog's cage two days ago and he was in a lovely mood so he puffed out his quills and poked me hard. My finger was bleeding and so I quickly finished cleaning the cage, laid down a fresh blankie and took his wheel to the kitchen to wash. I only just put it back in the cage tonight and he was so eager and bored he jumped in it before I had clicked it in place and it fell over on top of him. He's fine, I just feel really bad because he was only overeager because he'd been bored without it for two days.

I'm sorry Shippo, you spiky bastard.

I also keep getting him out and scaring the piss out of the cats. They are terrified of him because they're little bitches and just walking around with him is enough to incite a horror movie chase scenario.

I'm not sorry about that one.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Many months ago, there was an adorable, friendly orange tabby who loved to sing and be held outside my window. I would go out and sit with him and hug him.

Since he was so tame and in pretty good shape, I assumed he wasn't feral, so I never took him in.

One day, he stopped showing up.

I saw a missing poster for an orange tabby who loved to sing.

And then I saw an orange cat that had been hit at the gas station. A part of me hopes it wasn't him. And a part of me is deeply pained I didn't just let him stay with me.

I still feel so horrible about it. I'm sorry, little fellow. I loved your singing, your sweet face and how you would just walk into my lap, headbutt my chest and purr like a diesel engine. I hope you are happy over that rainbow bridge.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When Decoy was little we discovered he loved jumping for toys. Ever since, every time we'd play with him we'd always throw toys above him and it was a game to see how high he could jump to snatch them out of the air. He's incredibly good at this now, and can snatch a toy almost every single time up to a height of about 1 - 1.2m AND sometimes hits it back like some kind of feline volleyball game.

It wasn't until later that we realised that we'd essentially taught him, through play, not only just how to catch birds but how to be a loving master at snatching any low-flying creature out of the air. Today he was outside for literally 5min before bringing in a sparrow.

:smith:

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
We never played that type of game with my cat and he still managed to kill a bird even though he's indoor only and gets no practice. We had a window open, took the glass pane out and before we put the screen in for summer a bird flew in. He killed that bird before it had been in the house for a full second. I wouldn't feel too bad, cats are just great at killing birds.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I ran out of dog treats a couple of days ago and haven't made it to the pet store yet, so in the mean time, I have been treating the dogs with bits of rat food. Apparently cereal and random, tasteless bits of grain are just as good as biscuits, as long as they come out of the biscuit jar.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Superconsndar posted:

I ran out of dog treats a couple of days ago and haven't made it to the pet store yet, so in the mean time, I have been treating the dogs with bits of rat food. Apparently cereal and random, tasteless bits of grain are just as good as biscuits, as long as they come out of the biscuit jar.

I kept a bag of Zukes after Husker died for visiting dogs, and it disappeared, so the last time dogs visited I went down to the rat cage and grabbed a couple of the Blue Buffalo Health Bars I keep for the rats. They don't like the banana flavor as much anyway :colbert:

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Barnabas used to have a full bowl of Deli-Cat all day. I would let him lick my plate after every meal.

After 14 years of this, he got diabetes and chronic renal failure, and everything changed. No more constant food bowl full of high-carb dry crunchies. Restricted diet means absolutely no more people food.

He still comes up to smell what ever I'm eating, and I let him. Then shoo him away. "Are you happy now?, you got to smell it, now go".

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I got ill yesterday and went to bed very early, sleeping through my cats' feeding time. Today, did I catch up on that yet? Nope. They're just going to have to wait until their regular time, and for the same amount.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I didn't brush my cat the entire summer, even though he enjoys the experience. :smith:

Today, I've removed more hair from him, than my own haircuts in the same timeframe.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I buy the super healthy expensive food for my cat, but I also let her eat people food. I let her have the crust end of a loaf of bread yesterday because she kept trying to be sneaky about dragging the entire loaf of bread into my room. I would rather give her the duck food part of the bread, than have her tear into the bag and chew the crust off every piece ruining it all.
This morning, she found some plain noodles and steamed broccoli on the floor that one of my roommates probably spilled and she was chowing down on that like it was the best thing she's ever had.

One of my snails died (and I should've known, it had a cracked shell when I brought it home), and I left it in the tank because my female shrimp and my pregnant guppy were feasting on him and I wasn't sure what to do with a dead snail anyways. His shell is still in there because my smaller male shrimp like to hide inside it and the fish like to roll it around the tank to eat the algae off it. I feel bad for letting the corpse become a plaything for the rest of my fish and shrimp, basically.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I bought a fake chainsaw for my Halloween costume and revved it at Sheila. Then I laughed when she skittered away. I am a monster.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Drum posted:

I bought a fake chainsaw for my Halloween costume and revved it at Sheila. Then I laughed when she skittered away. I am a monster.

I chased my dogs down the hall wearing a werewolf mask last week. They fled barking, and I laughed my rear end off.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My mother drove off with the cat asleep on the roof of her car. I laughed at the story of the cat jumping off the car a few houses down the road.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Fraction posted:

I chased my dogs down the hall wearing a werewolf mask last week. They fled barking, and I laughed my rear end off.

I crocheted a pig hat and put it on to see how well it fit, then made some loud oinks, which terrorized my lovebird and conure, while my cockatiel sat on my shoulder and didn't give a tin poo poo. I laughed way too much because I'm a terrible person

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I was dog-sitting for my parents at their house and went out to get the mail. Gypsy (dachshund) NEVER runs away, she's always happy to explore right at your feet and for the 5 years we've had her, she's never run off. She has excellent recall. So out we go, she has no leash or collar on, and we have no worries. We do this all the time. We're just going to be outside for a minute.

Then about halfway down the driveway, the pit bull from like 7 houses down comes trotting up, tail wagging, at my furry little friend. I didn't see the pit coming until she was right next to us. Now Gypsy is terrified of bigger dogs and even though I've met the pit bull before and she is very friendly, Gypsy FREAKS THE gently caress OUT and starts running away. Of course the pit gives into playful chase. Gypsy's making squealing whimpering sounds and my biggest fear isn't her being attacked, but her being scared off down the street by this big dog that wants to play.

Fortunately I yell "INSIDE" which Gypsy knows, and she heads towards the front door. I open it and let her in. With nothing left to chase, the pit bull wanders back down the street towards her own house.

Nobody got hurt and Gypsy was never in any danger of being eaten, but I still felt like a TERRIBLE person for making her so vulnerable. We only went into the fenced-in backyard for the rest of the time I was dog-sitting her.
I'm an irresponsible dog watcher :(

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 14, 2013

blue urban dream
Aug 8, 2011
Uhhh I don't think the problem is you in this situation. You have every right to have your dog unleashed, with good recall, on your own property, and your dipshit neighbours should probably start leashing their dog before it chases a squirrel across the road and gets hit by a car.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Yeah, you're probably right. They shouldn't let their large dog run loose. I guess I just felt like if I hadn't let Gypsy out off leash in the first place, she wouldn't have been terrified. I was fortunate she listened and ran towards the door instead of taking off down the street.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I don't think I've posted in this thread before but I probably should. Like everyday. After 3 years of dealing with Psyche, my patience for certain things is completely gone. If I'm having even a marginally bad day, I fly into a rage when she barks. If I'm home with just her I will yell at her until she shuts the hell up (it doesn't help that it seems like the louder I am, the quicker she shuts up). We also keep a water squirt bottle around now because her barking is mostly habitual now rather than reactive and I just got sick of holding her hand and interrupting my life to work her through it (she barks at least once every 5 minutes when awake, though it's usually a quiet bark). The squirt bottle in principle can teach her if the timing is right but sometimes I just squirt her anyway after the fact because she pissed me off. My ability to work or god forbid take a nap has been completely compromised.

The other major thing is when I take her out to use the bathroom. She habitually alerts/growls/barks while pulling me towards certain areas of the yard where she one time saw a neighbor or dog. Every. drat. Time. I have worked on it a ton but when I'm not in the mood, I just jerk her along with me, cursing.

I always feel really bad about it afterward because it's not like she's really doing it on purpose, but I just can't handle the stress in my life and be patient 24/7. :(

Edit: also a few days ago my neighbor's dog barked at me and I yelled at her to shut up. Pretty sure my neighbor heard but I don't really care because they always leave their dog outside unsupervised to alarm bark at things.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 14, 2013

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Kiri koli posted:

I always feel really bad about it afterward because it's not like she's really doing it on purpose, but I just can't handle the stress in my life and be patient 24/7. :(

This is me 100% with Dex's issues. I try so hard to be patient but when I am trying to get to sleep and he's at my feet nibbling the mattress like crazy I snap. Sometimes when he is nibbling his bed across the room I throw a sock near him to try to get him to stop nibbling. Recently though he just starts nibbling the sock I toss over there so I have to stop that. UGH. Nothing gets him to stop though. Calm pettings? No. Something to chew? Yes, temporarily but then he goes back to nibbling after. Open window? Not at night when he can't see anything. Training session? Temporary fix. Cannot really play ball at midnight when others are sleeping. The only thing that works is a stern "What did I say??" when he nibbles and then a calm "yes, good boy" when he puts his head down to sleep. Problem is this takes like 10 minutes of me watching him in the corner of my eye/yelling at him and it is such a pain in the rear end.

It all feels wrong. Like I am not fixing the problem. Just shouting at the dog nonstop until I break him.

Worst anxious-dog owner of the year award goes to me! :(

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
When I went back to backhouse today at work, Zoe was boarding. Zoe is a tiny, white and cream Fluffipoo thing of a dog. Basically imagine the most ridiculous 4 pound ball of adorable fluff you can imagine. When you walk her she prances like a magnificent pony because you see she is not a real dog and has no idea how or why we walk on a leash. It's just "follow you with a rope outside" time. But the prancing is not why I love her.

It's because when you stand outside her cage and mock her with the leash she whimpers and rolls around in utterly adorable agony. How dare I deprive this dog of prancing at my side for five minutes? I am a monster.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

empty sea posted:

When I went back to backhouse today at work, Zoe was boarding. Zoe is a tiny, white and cream Fluffipoo thing of a dog. Basically imagine the most ridiculous 4 pound ball of adorable fluff you can imagine. When you walk her she prances like a magnificent pony because you see she is not a real dog and has no idea how or why we walk on a leash. It's just "follow you with a rope outside" time. But the prancing is not why I love her.

It's because when you stand outside her cage and mock her with the leash she whimpers and rolls around in utterly adorable agony. How dare I deprive this dog of prancing at my side for five minutes? I am a monster.

Please tell me there is video of that dog walking, somewhere?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I caught Suzy's ear in the car window this afternoon. No damage, but she cried like the devil himself had grabbed her, and spent a couple of minutes licking the car to apologize for whatever she did to make it bite her.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I piss off my bunny by poking his cheeks with extra long pieces of hay just out of chewing reach. He lets out a triumphant grunt when he finally nabs the bastard.

In private, I never call him by his name and substitute obscene nicknames usually related to his weight or food. 'Fatty Butterfuck' is a recent one.

My favorite is when I go into my room: 'Sup, Butterfuck?!' And he just flops in his pen in response. :3

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I could not decide what to call my cats, so I registered their microchips under their shelter names and that's what I call them when I make vet's appointments. At home, though, I call them around five other names apiece. They don't answer to any of them, I'm probably confusing the hell out of them, but I just can't stick with one name.

I mostly call them "The Big Guy" and "The Little Guy". The Little Guy is still a kitten, and although he's closing in on The Big Guy's size and one day may in fact be bigger than The Big Guy, he'll always be The Little Guy to me. :3:

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010
I have a jack/pug mix named Chico who hates being left alone. Hate as in he chewed a hole in the carpet when I left him in my room for a few hours.

It was my friends last weekend in LA before moving and she invited me to pend it at her apartment and go to a concert on the last night. I couldn't find a place for Chico so I left him with lots of food and water and left him for two nights.:( He was fine when I got back but you can tell he was starved for human attention and was going insane with loneliness. I'm sorry puppup I'm never doing that to you again.

Also he hates clothes but I still bought him an argyle sweater that looks like one I have and threaten him with it. Also I took him to try on costumes at Petsmart the other day. He looks so sad and dejected but really cute. Here's evidence of my crimes:

He kept trying to hide under my legs like a nervous child.

Also heres his sweater

He'll stand like that with his head down but its so :3:

DLAO
Dec 20, 2004
I usually don't scoop the cat boxes--- I just wait a week and then dump everything out and start fresh, because I'm lazy and busy most of the time, so I don't feel like digging for poo every day. The cats (there are two of them) don't seem to mind.

Sometimes I prolong feeding them in the mornings because they get REALLY EXTRA CUDDLY and snuggle next to me. I justify this with the fact that they are both fatties that eat too much in the first place.

I bathe them once every four to six months (because I like them to start fresh and get any dirt and grime and they smell better and have softer fur), but I truly enjoy torturing them into the tub and seeing their fur soaked ugliness (cuteness) afterwards.

The younger cat, Roo, HATES being blown on, so sometimes when he's sleeping I blow on this backside and wait for him to wake up and mew "WTF?" Also, he has a weird tick/trigger on his backfoot so when he's cleaning, he usually starts kicking himself in the face. I laugh hysterically and have videotaped him a few times so my friends can laugh at him too....

Oh I'm so sorry kitties that mommy is such a bitch!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Is this what you're confessing to PI, that you're one of those creepy "furbabby" people?

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
My parents had indoor/outdoor cats and one passed away recently at age 19. I was called and asked to bury the remains that were found, because no one else could bear to get close enough to do it. It was just his head lying in the middle of the street, and I got drunk for 3 days straight because it hurt so much to have to deal with it. I'm still in my 20s, we'd had him since I was a kid, and I just couldn't cope. I can't talk about it to my family who knew him because they're dealing with their own poo poo. I told them he died peacefully (I think he really did, and it was just scavengers). My boyfriend (who never knew the cats, but is a cat-lover) is the only one who knows what really happened.

From the bottom, I could see his skull, but when I rolled it over it just looked like he was sleeping, except there was no body and he was missing one set of whiskers. I wrapped his head in paper towels because I didn't have anything better and buried it in the yard; I still think he deserved better.

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 25, 2013

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Dude that sucks, if I had to see one of my dogs that way I would lose my mind. :(

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I don't make fresh food for my GCC. She exists almost entirely on pellets and the occasional nutriberry. I give her a bit of apple or whatever I'm eating once every day or two, but it's really just a tiny amount and I haven't gone to the trouble of getting her used to eating fresh veggies at all.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Dear PI confession thread: today I took Psyche for a walk on the trails by convincing myself that it's cold today, so there won't be 3 billion people and their dogs there. It's a Sunday and everyone in this area is irritatingly outdoorsy, so I knew that wouldn't be true, but drat it I want to walk the trails anyway. She handled dogs #1-4 really well, had a major freak out at #5 because it walked right past us (I was hoping they would take the other trail, dammit), had a minor freak out at #6 (because #5 had her riled up), mostly handled #7 (who stands in its yard and barks at all the people going to the trail) and freaked at #8 cuz we already had her in the car, she was agitated, and she could see it out the window.

And now I'm all pissed about it because I'm tired of hiding on back streets and if #5 had gone down the other trail, I think the whole thing would have been a really good experience for her.

Grrr-Krishnakk
Jul 17, 2005

PUPPIES!
Feeding my dogs premium food became really costly after I got another dog, and then had a baby - now I mix the really expensive stuff with much cheaper stuff from the supermarket. I am a terrible dog owner.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I throw the blanket over the cat to watch her try to escape. Last time she tangled herself up so bad she needed rescuing, and I spent at least five minutes laughing at her before picking up the blanket.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

I throw the blanket over the cat to watch her try to escape. Last time she tangled herself up so bad she needed rescuing, and I spent at least five minutes laughing at her before picking up the blanket.

I like to put socks on Frankie's head and watch him try to back out of them.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

I like to put socks on Frankie's head and watch him try to back out of them.

Do this to the dook

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace is terrified of the word "pillow" for some reason. Sometimes I say it just to watch him scramble.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

ButWhatIf posted:

Is this what you're confessing to PI, that you're one of those creepy "furbabby" people?

Confession: after years of working in a kennel and talking to clients all the time, I do use the term "mommy" when pretending to talk in the point of view of the dog. Normally in "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME, MOM" phrasing.

Shoot me, I edge on furbabby talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I prefer "I don't have to listen to you! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!"

• Locked thread