Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hey, maybe they accidentally fixed it again only to patch it out in a future update, you can never know with TasoFro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just ran the game with the new update. The new moves are not that game changing, but they're pretty nice. I still wonder how much of the game isn't actually done or if they have more plans.

At the very least, we get to have surfing chickens and Buddhist Speedy Gonzales.

And a really stoned looking Unzan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Helicopter Nitori looks quite doofy. They're all quite cute.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Grumpy white fox Reimu is the best.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So what's the actual context for those?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pureauthor posted:

She actually looks kind of like a kuda-gitsune, and I'm wondering if that was an intentional nodback to WaHH or just an artistic coincidence.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pureauthor posted:

I'm split between cat Koishi and turtle Nitori.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KataraniSword posted:

She actually looks kind of like a kuda-gitsune, and I'm wondering if that was an intentional nodback to WaHH or just an artistic coincidence.

A fox used by magicians to acquire wealth. However, the mounting costs of keeping the animal inevitably drive the magician to poverty.

Is it a reference? Possibly. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

So what's the actual context for those?

Mamizou's new spellcard transforms her opponent into a helpless animal. That's why there's a picture of her laughing at her opponent included in the bunch.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Miko as a horned owl is the coolest. Owls are the coolest.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
My mind's being moderately blown right now, and I'd like some internet help to work through it.

This is Nitori's sigil from The Grimoire of Marisa, published July 2009:

And this an article about Darfur in the June 2007 newsletter of the San Francisco Psychological Association:

closeup of the SFPA design:

So is this some pre-existing design that ZUN re-used? I thought he'd come up with it, since I'd never seen any similar design before. What is it? Where does it come from? Why can't Google or TinEye find any non-Touhou references?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Most of the symbols in that book seem like stock images. I'm sure he got it from somewhere. Touhou just happens to be way more popular than "somewhere".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 14, 2013

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Clarste posted:

Most of the symbols in that book seem like stock images. I'm sure he got it from somewhere. Touhou just happens to be way more popular than than "somewhere".

Really? I thought they all looked like they had a unified art style. At the very least they seemed to have been drawn by the same person.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Most of the symbols in that book seem like stock images.

I'll say. Sanae's is a Star of David.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Wait, did people really think ZUN drew any of those? You've seen his art before guys, come on.

HellCopter posted:

Really? I thought they all looked like they had a unified art style. At the very least they seemed to have been drawn by the same person.

Kisume's is literally a black and white picture of a jar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Kisume's is literally a black and white picture of a jar.

And Chen's is a childish drawing of a cat. Other notables are Tenshi's picture of an angel and Eiki's scales.

FractalSandwich posted:

Which is especially weird because in-game she uses pentagrams.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's a funny joke to make, but in this case it's not actually a Star of David. It's an unrelated Shinto symbol which happens to look the same. And which I can't find much English literature on. Wikipedia calls it a "kagome crest", but googling that I mostly get poo poo about Inu Yaksha or whatever. :eng99:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, I finally was about to hit 100 files in my latest collection but forgot that one of the files is actually a folder of albums that I didn't delete anything from. So the latest collection is extra large with 116 files.

In making this latest collection, I deleted 700 other files, well over 4 gigs worth. Did you know that MIDIs badly converted into MP3s are ABSOLUTELY HUGE?(!?!??!??!) A bunch of 2-3 minute files were 10-12 megs each, and just terrible MIDIs in disguise. Glad I was able to just mow through those albums and clear out the space, at least. For whatever reason about ten artists in a row were nothing but MIDI artists.

There's one issue though, Alluvion blew up at some point, so where can I host the collection torrents now?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a funny joke to make, but in this case it's not actually a Star of David. It's an unrelated Shinto symbol which happens to look the same. And which I can't find much English literature on. Wikipedia calls it a "kagome crest", but googling that I mostly get poo poo about Inu Yaksha or whatever. :eng99:

Sort of glad then that Zun hasn't yet hit upon using the Manji symbol, it probably means a great many things to ancient japan but flip it over and suddenly swastika. :hitler:

fanart community would go nuts over that mind you. :goleft:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aliginge posted:

Sort of glad then that Zun hasn't yet hit upon using the Manji symbol, it probably means a great many things to ancient japan but flip it over and suddenly swastika. :hitler:

Um... Ran/Yukari's Manji spellcard would like a word with you. In fact, it even reverses itself as part of the pattern so there is literally a swastika spellcard in PCB. Or rather, two of them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aliginge posted:

Eastern religion, actually; it's not just Japan it has meaning to. In fact, Buddhism and Hinduism use both the swastika and the sauwastika/reversed swastika as symbolic for different things, and amazingly, none of them have negative connotations. The idea of it representing solely the Nazi party and/or antisemitism is entirely a creation of the Western world.

Schwarzwald posted:

A fox used by magicians to acquire wealth. However, the mounting costs of keeping the animal inevitably drive the magician to poverty.

Is it a reference? Possibly. :v:

There's a chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit where Reimu gets one from a non-named kitsune (read: not Ran) and exactly that happens, which is why I was wondering if it was a direct reference to that or more a general reference to the youkai in general.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 14, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

There's a chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit where Reimu gets one from a non-named kitsune (read: not Ran) and exactly that happens, which is why I was wondering if it was a direct reference to that or more a general reference to the youkai in general.

Foxes are considered messengers of the gods and associated with Shinto shrines in general. Of course there are also special fox shrines scattered about (one showed up in Forbidden Scrollery recently with the Listening Cap). I'd say it's a general reference.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Clarste posted:

Um... Ran/Yukari's Manji spellcard would like a word with you. In fact, it even reverses itself as part of the pattern so there is literally a swastika spellcard in PCB. Or rather, two of them.

Like I ever got that far in PCB. :suicide:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Meanwhile Remilia has a spellcard literally called Star of David proving she's a Jewish vampire. She'd probably fit right in Tanz der Vampire. Hell, she'd probably love the musical, the vampires win in that one.

Also the swastika sign is funnily enough the easiest spellcard in both Extra and Phantasm in PCB. That card still makes me kinda uncomfortable whenever I fire up PBC though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Really? No one's brought up Suwako's clip art-ish symbol yet? :frog:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait, did people really think ZUN drew any of those? You've seen his art before guys, come on.
Some of the GOM sigils are known to be derived from other sources (e.g. Flandre's sigil is a woodcut by Chariklia Zarris, Suwako's sigil is from a children's coloring book site), but others are unidentified and are believed to have been drawn for GoM by a non-ZUN artist. Until just now, I thought Nitori's was of the latter category.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

We knew Marisa was a thief, we just never expected her to steal clip art.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

KataraniSword posted:

Eastern religion, actually; it's not just Japan it has meaning to. In fact, Buddhism and Hinduism use both the swastika and the sauwastika/reversed swastika as symbolic for different things, and amazingly, none of them have negative connotations. The idea of it representing solely the Nazi party and/or antisemitism is entirely a creation of the Western world.

Isn't there a doujin where one of the touhous (Reimu?) puts up a reverse swastika, and her shrine is visited by skinheads?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

FractalSandwich posted:

Mazel Tov! I knew she was Jewish!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WaHH chapter 18 finally finished and on the wiki. In which we see what Kasen was up to during Hopeless Masquerade.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

:sparkles:

At least we got some half-assed reason why the Moriya Shrine didn't actively participate in Hopeless Masquerade, but I still think Kanako should've been playable. Leaving faith-gathering for the Shinto side entirely to Reimu seems like a spectacularly bad idea.

Oh and Clarste, not to nag, but do you have any plans for the latest couple Forbidden Scrollery chapters? according to the wiki they've apparently been out for a while now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Oh and Clarste, not to nag, but do you have any plans for the latest couple Forbidden Scrollery chapters? according to the wiki they've apparently been out for a while now.

I plan to release them of course. One of them was mostly translated a long time ago but was delayed for the same reasons as this chapter of WaHH. The other, newer, one will hopefully get done faster. Honestly releasing them both at the same time seems like a good idea anyway since they cover a single two-part story, as always.

Technically there's also another chapter of WaHH out now too. That's kind of what being 2 months behind will do.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Well, keep fighting the good fight, I do need my touhou fix every so often.

Also,

Kappa are known to be friendly with humans. Is that supposed to come across as a bit of a double-intendre in Japanese too?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Kappa are known to be friendly with humans. Is that supposed to come across as a bit of a double-intendre in Japanese too?

I never thought about it that way, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I would like to think that propositioning people for sex is a universal language.

Incidentally, Bookie Kappa is my favorite minor character.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

a cartoon duck posted:

Well, keep fighting the good fight, I do need my touhou fix every so often.

Also,

They violate people for mythical rear end-jewels.

It's probably a double-entendre

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So, anyone have a good tracker I can upload the latest music collection to since Alluvion's apparently dead? It's getting rather large.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Machikado-Mapoze has another classical album out :syoon:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 19, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

http://mapoze.com/pub/soundpostman/

Machikado-Mapoze has another classical album out :syoon:

I'm a sucker for violin, and I'm loving the second track. :syoon: Wait, did you say 'another'?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Kheldragar posted:

I'm a sucker for violin, and I'm loving the second track. :syoon: Wait, did you say 'another'?
I posted about this album a week month or two ago, it's got the Yoshika polka. Prepare yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOhBoW2Ww

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

I posted about this album a week month or two ago, it's got the Yoshika polka. Prepare yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOhBoW2Ww

You're getting your Central European dances mixed up I think. Polka is the one with a steady rhythm and the "oom-pah"s. This sounds more like a Czardas. </classical violin nerd>