Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

It is on NBC

No, it's on against Big Bang Theory, which was moved to 8 on Thursday specifically to kill Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

No, it's on against Big Bang Theory, which was moved to 8 on Thursday specifically to kill Community.

Not so much to kill a specific show as to establish a foothold on a night where a previously dominant network was vulnerable, I'd imagine.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
When they look at stuff like that, theyre obviously aware that going up against comedy goliath big bang theory is going to be a tough job for any show.

Now, my question is, lets say they cancelled Community because it wasn't competing well against BBT. Is there such a thought process as "well, we can cancel this show but put something on that does equally poorly or worse, but would be cheaper to make so gently caress it"?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Conquistador posted:

When they look at stuff like that, theyre obviously aware that going up against comedy goliath big bang theory is going to be a tough job for any show.

Now, my question is, lets say they cancelled Community because it wasn't competing well against BBT. Is there such a thought process as "well, we can cancel this show but put something on that does equally poorly or worse, but would be cheaper to make so gently caress it"?

That's the thought processes of most business. If something isn't performing, and you have a cheaper alternative, you may as well try the cheaper thing, since the more expensive one has been shown not to work.

Whether that's an actually good idea, we can leave that for another discussion.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conquistador posted:

Rob Lowe should be in everything

I started watching Twin Peaks and now I think that Chris Traeger is basically Special Agent Dale Cooper cranked to 11.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I always enjoy seeing goon opinions on stuff. While I liked this episode, for example, I thought it was a little worse on average than last week's. Though some of the individual gags this week just wrecked me ("Lou Gehrig's Other Disease").

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not so much to kill a specific show as to establish a foothold on a night where a previously dominant network was vulnerable, I'd imagine.

Historically, Thursdays had the biggest advertising money due to big ads for movies opening on Friday and the weekend. So you wanted your most watched shows on Thursday to get more ad money. I don't know if that's still true with the way media consumption has changed.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Never thought i'd hear a non obvious Morrissey song referenced in a prime time comedy and that he would referred to as Moz....fantastic!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A perfect moment. :allears:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Zedd posted:

A perfect moment. :allears:

For me it's that minute when her suspicion overtakes her joy of seeing waffles. It's just such a sudden shift and she does it perfectly.

Amy Poehler is amazing yall.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

vivisectvnv posted:

Never thought i'd hear a non obvious Morrissey song referenced in a prime time comedy and that he would referred to as Moz....fantastic!

Where is your favorite place to smush ya boo?

At the Neutral Milk Hotel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Donna is live tweeting the show tonight :dance:

TWEET YO SELF

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

It is on NBC

I've seen this mentioned a few times in TVIV what's the significance of being on NBC? I find that a majority of my shows I watch on basic TV are on NBC. Community,P&R,The office when it was around, Hannibal, Revolution.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
From what I understand NBC gets like the worst ratings out of all the major networks

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tonic316 posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times in TVIV what's the significance of being on NBC? I find that a majority of my shows I watch on basic TV are on NBC. Community,P&R,The office when it was around, Hannibal, Revolution.

NBC has really really lovely ratings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

From what I understand NBC gets like the worst ratings out of all the major networks

Because red neck republican fox news lovers only watch fox and watch a lot more tv because they have nothing better to do with their lives? (I'm probably horribly wrong and sound like a bigot typing all that out)

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tonic316 posted:

Because red neck republican fox news lovers only watch fox and watch a lot more tv because they have nothing better to do with their lives? (I'm probably horribly wrong and sound like a bigot typing all that out)

A for effort, but F in facts.

CBS is pretty much the juggernaut for TV shows.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Yea.. after a little googling it seems NBC makes shows that are a bit to original or sophisticated for what America likes.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

tonic316 posted:

Yea.. after a little googling it seems NBC makes shows that are a bit to original or sophisticated for what America likes.

Let's not get carried away here.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Macaluso posted:

This actually isn't entirely true, at least in the Fall, when NBC has Sunday Night Football and The Voice is propping up the shows that air after it. But yeah, the Thursday lineup is an ever worsening disaster and the Wednesday lineup is only moderately better at this point.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In some ways I consider it a good thing. Shows that I like that don't perform well, but are on NBC, might have a chance of staying around longer because it's NBC and nobody expects them to do well.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Man, I miss the 3-hour spectacular Thursday Night Comedy block of 2009/10. Parks, The Office, Community, 30 Rock, The League and It's Always Sunny all in one glorious night. It may not have been a ratings phenomenon but for a brief window of time the stars aligned and great comedy spilled forth. Now look at it. Thanks Jerry Garry Larry! :argh:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, but now you get football every thursday during the football season at least :-)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
April, no!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The man who kills me will know.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
What are all these weird symbols?
The man who kills me will know.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TWITTER WATERGATE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

April, no!

I like that in the next scene after the credits she's made them into a desk mosaic.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
My local station preempted Parks and Rec to show a Cancer Centre Infomercial. :argh:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Intracksidence is a perfectly cromulent word.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Or them! Could be a bunch of hot ladies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The question marks keep showing up everywhere.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
DJ ROOMBA!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Mike Dexhart and Jeremy Jamm on the same team are unstoppable

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Trevor is my favorite recurring character. :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do not lie therefore I do not joke.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Number sign

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

At least Donna is finally getting a decent storyline in an episode.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Ohh nooo Leslie + Donna :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'd never lose to a boar.

• Locked thread